Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I got a call for a free upgrade from T-Mobile today, and it sounded like I could pick pretty much anything off their (UK) webstore for smartphones. I asked them to ring me back in a week or so, so I could have a look at the site. I've had a G1 for the last year or so, and am looking at the HTC Desire, maybe? They've also got the Iphone 3GS tucked away on their site, and I'm tempted to see if they'll give me one of those.
I've heard the HTC desire is good, but is it iphone good?

Should probably also mention that my current plan sits at about £30 a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone know what the new android phones like the Desire are like for music? One of the main factors tempting me toward the iphone has been that I don't own an mp3 player. I've been using spotify on my G1 but it's a little fiddly, drains the battery, and requires an adapter to use headphones. How would a phone like the Desire + an SD card hold up against the iphone musicwise?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I guess because the Lumia 900 has just come out, there are a load of special offers on 24 month contracts for the Lumia 800 at the moment. My android phone just died after taking a swim in some beer, and I'm looking at the 800. The only apps I really used on it with any regularity were spotify, and occasionally evernote and facebook, though I fear that was mainly because it was an HTC Wildfire aka a piece of poo poo that could barely even run the text message app properly. Is the 800 still worth signing up for at this stage? Or is it worth springing for a 900 I just want a smartphone where I can get my emails, browse twitter/facebook, and maybe play the odd game (I've got an iPad so I can get my fix of apps in that ecosystem there.). A phone that plays music decently is absolutely essential. Anyone know what the spotify app is like on windows phone? Oh, and it would be nice to have a phone with a decent, straightforward camera that you actually want to use.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 12, 2012

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
My iPhone 5s is about to die, so I'm thinking of getting a new handset. iPhones are too expensive for me at this point. I'd like something with a nice big screen, as I need to do twittery facebooky multimedia type things for my job - anyone have anything to say about the most recent Nexus? Another phone that's caught my eye is the Sony Z5. The new Samsung Galaxy is a little out of my price range, although the Galaxy 6 is fairly cheap. The Sony z5 is currently £410 on Amazon, Google are selling their Nexus handset for £450. I can't really go over £500. Ideally anywhere from £350-£450 would be ideal for me. Any recommendations?

edit: found a new Nexus 6p for around £370. Seems like a pretty good deal?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 7, 2016

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

The 6p is really really good. Not sure about the 5x, but there have been reports of "slight" stuttering.

May I ask which version of the 6P you use/have used? The finish on the models seems to be drastically different (either some kind of graphite lookin' plastic, or aluminium). How does whichever finish you've used feel?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

K8.0 posted:

If you want a fingerprint sensor worth a poo poo, do not get a Pixel 6. Front fingerprint sensors are cancer so you're hosed either way, but it seems that the P6 has among the worst of them.

The S22 Ultra has an amazingly good camera, from what I've seen easily the best in a phone. The zoom is genuinely impressive.

The Pixel benefits of google call screening and poo poo like that are good, but the Pixel 6 is a piece of poo poo. The microphone sucks, the camera bump is horrible and forces you to use a case, the image quality is poo poo and it can't focus on anything even slightly close, the bluetooth sucks, the wifi sucks, and as a consequence the positioning service sucks. The ONLY good feature compared to previous Pixels is that it's fast.

I've been using a pixel 6 since February and it's really good for the price. The camera bump is fine and doesn't force you to use a case - out of all your weird gripes that one makes the least sense to me.

The camera itself is also seriously excellent, especially in low light or places with an extreme range of colours. It's probably the best thing about the phone and you'd be hard pressed to find a better phone camera for the price.
It seems to focus on things really well and makes good use of the AI type stuff to make your photos look nice.

Fingerprint sensor was wonky at release but it works fine now.

Phone is snappy and responsive, and honestly the only complaints I have are really things endemic to android - launchers/widgets freaking out sometimes. There were a few bad bugs in the first half of 22, esp with connectivity, but it all seems smoothed out now

My only complaint is that it's a little heavy. I'd come from an iPhone 8 so it just feels super bulky. I'm thinking of selling and switching to an iPhone mini but really just for ergonomics. I can't really fault the phone for that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m facing a conundrum on what to upgrade my mom to. She has a Pixel 3a XL. She’s been on Android forever. Security updates are ending for that phone so I need to get her something new for Christmas. I recently switched back to iPhone last year after a 4 year run with Android and feel back at home. I’ve floated the idea of putting her in the same ecosystem as me, and I would love that her (potential) iPhone 14 would be impossible to screw up, be secure and updated for a long rear end time, and overall be a great experience. Also my own selfish desire to put her in the Apple camp so we can FaceTime or whatever. She’s not up for it, but I can’t figure out if its because she wants to stay Android or just doesn’t like me spending money on her. My Android options are taking advantage of the Pixel 6a trade in and basically giving her a new phone for $150, or wait for the Pixel 7 (and potentially not have a great trade for an old budget phone)

Any pointers?

Have just jumped to a Pixel from an iPhone 8 and although I do miss the ecosystem aspect with other apple devices, Android does feel like it's in a comparable place now in terms of overall sleekness, it's just kind of gone in a different/louder direction design wise, whereas iOS feels more invisible. But experience-wise the new pixels do feel hi end in a way that android never has before. So I mean you know your mother best but if someone's been using android phones all their life and aren't some kind of tech nerd they'll probably just get annoyed and confused at all the differences in navigation/ux design/etc, whereas the new android phones feel like they're finally able to go toe to toe with iphones while still having that same underlying navigation/OS methodology as ios.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Okay thread, I have a job. This OnePlus n400 is just absolute trash. Screen and battery life is decent but the ram/8 year old CPU spec is absolutely wretched to use.

What should I buy these days.

I want like 90 hrz and decent battery and that's all I care about. I think. Something that will last the contract.

I don't read a lot about the galaxy's in these threads, is waiting for pixel 7 the way to go? I was thinking of settling for the galaxy aww just because it's the latest flagship I can afford and adaptive refresh rate seems good for the battery life.

Pixel 6 is a good phone, and is getting pretty heavy discounts. You probably don't want to hear this but I didn't find the jump from 60 to 90hz particularly noticeable or earth-shattering. Camera is really excellent. Probably only worth waiting for the Pixel 7 if you prefer the colours/design.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Listerine posted:

I'm not asking for a recommendation on which phone to buy. I'm in the US on AT&T, I'm buying a Galaxy S22 Ultra, upgrading from a Note 9.

What I want to know is if buying a refurbished phone is a bad idea in terms of the quality of the phone. Is it risky to buy a refurbished phone through Amazon or other large reseller?

I think the poster understood your question - its just all that info is important to be able to answer. The biggest effect it's gonna have going refurbished is on the warranty, but that can vary from country to country and from manufacturer to manufacturer (for example, if you get a refurbished iPhone, but via Apple, you'll still get their manufacturer's warranty and can buy AppleCare). They were tryin to help you OP.

Anyway having gone through this process before, buying via Amazon it's probably going to be a third party reseller so it's really gonna depend on them. Just look closely at their returns policy for this kind of stuff, or if they offer a year's warranty, or any kind of garuantee on battery. Some websites like Backmarket are good about warranties. You'll probably want to know whether Samsung will honour the warranty if the phone has problems down the line.

At least here in the UK, if you get the highest grade of refurbished, it just means that someone opened the box and returned the phone within a week, so it's basically new.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Khizan posted:

Give up on the headphone jack, imo. Kinda sucks that they're dead, but it's not worth getting a shittier phone just to avoid using a USB-C<>Aux dongle.

Absolutely - and if you’re worried about being able to charge while using the port for headphones, most newer phones should be able to wirelessly charge while you’re donglin it up.

But yeah. I appreciate making a stand and all, but the ship has absolutely sailed on that one.

(tbh the amount of times I’d caught myself on a headphone cable, yanked the device onto the floor etc etc… my clumsy self is happy to see the back of them .)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

roomtone posted:

i hadn't considered that.

phones themselves aren't a huge problem for me i just liked the idea of paring down specifically because i don't use it that much, but since it seems like it's going to be more of an annoyance than it's worth, forget it!

modern smartphones are pretty good at giving you a lot of control over apps and notifications. To the extent where both iOS and Android are opt-in for notifications on everything.

iOS also has focus modes that are pretty good - you and have all your apps just disappear from your homescreen when you're at work, or studying, or whatever.

If you want to pare things down further, look into a cheaper Pixel, or a previous gen or SE iPhone, as you'll be able to delete most of the preinstalled apps too.

Unless you have a really specific reason for a dumbphone - i.e. you work somewhere where a smartphone is a security risk, or you want something with an endless battery that you dont mind if you lose or wreck while travelling or at a music festival or whatever - then a dumbphone is a much more appealing idea in theory than in practice, for reasons other posters have said.

edit: but also if a dumbphone is simply part of your aesthetic, then I understand completely and you just do what you gotta do

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 23, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Well, working reliably is the most important thing then. It doesn't matter if I can plug headphones in or not if the phone doesn't work. If necessary, I could even use my old phone purely as an MP3 player as that's one of the few things it still does fairly reliably.

If you're worried about your wired headphones working, you can just get a headphone jack to usb-c or lightning port dongle for whichever phone you go with. Yes, it's not the same, but you'll be fine.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grey posted:

I bought a Pixel 4a two years ago that I really like, but the charging port is having problems and it's often difficult to get it in charge mode when plugged in. I'm looking at one of these for the replacement:

Pixel 6a for $300
Pixel 6 for $400
Pixel 7 for $500

In trying to compare 6a vs. 7, it looks like 7 has a slightly faster processor, a slightly better camera, a slightly larger screen, and wireless charging. Am I missing anything? I actually prefer a smaller size, are all the other differences worth the extra $200?

Is there any reason to consider the plain Pixel 6 now?

6 and 7 have a higher refresh rate screen, which feels smoother to use, but if you’re not used to those kinds of screens you won’t be missing out. It’s a huge phone though (and the 6 is bigger). 6 also has wireless charging. The always on display makes for a nice bedside clock on a wireless charging dock. If you don’t like the hand gymnastics of big phones, you probably won’t be wild about the 6 or 7.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

I've read so, so many reviews. The pixel 7 is usually pitted favorably against the S22, despite being the same size as the S22+, which has more going for it. I just don't see anything in the list of features the pixel offers that's anything more than a "I guess that's nice to have". Ad free youtube, and I think the camera does Google translate without having to open the app or something... That's about it? It's got other features but none I'd use. To my mind, the S22+ wins on bench racing. But like the old Top Gear bit, yes it's brilliant, but I want the Flip. So I decided to get the Flip.
Thanks to everyone who replied though. The reviews all essentially say "they're all good choices for different reasons, get the one you want!" so that's what I'm going to do.

It's so easy to read way too many reviews pitting X against Y, and go a bit mad in the process, which is what I always do whenever I look to buy expensive technology that I'll know I'll be using all the time, and I get completely lost in the weeds, when in fact it's all pretty good.

I do think that with all these flagship smartphones, they're either all up to standard or they have some terrible glaring issue, in which case you'll probably see that glaring issue mentioned a lot by people. I really think a lot of the spec comparison reviewing can only go so far, and a lot of these flagship devices boil down to a question of what feels most comfortable in your hand, and what you like the look and feel of the hardware/software design the most, and what you can get a deal/contract on that you're happy with financially. Getting a chance to try them out and seeing what's to your tastes, really.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Wachter posted:

Any UK goons here on idmobile? I need a new Pixel or similar and their tariffs seem really good. Any gotchas?

This is probably way too late for you at this point but for anyone else considering iDmobile, it's worth knowing that they piggyback off of Three's network, and if you're in a busy place you have the least network priority. What this means is that if you're, say, in a busy part of Central London, you'll have no signal despite having full bars. It happens way more often than I'd like. I've been on idmobile since the start of 2022 and I'm very eager to switch as soon as my contract is up.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

loquacius posted:

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

I can't speak for the USA, but here in the UK they let you use those bigger carrier networks, but you don't get any of the perks/benefits that are often packaged (like free subscriptions to other things, cheap cinema tickets, etc etc). Which is fine for me!

In general (and again maybe it's different in the USA), the big downside is that the networks have a priority order for customers in busy and congested areas. If you're on one of the discount/piggyback services, you're on the bottom of the pile.

If you live in a big, congested city, you might find it harder to get signal in busy areas. For me, it meant any time I was in central London, I was unable to get signal. I think it also varies by carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is one of the reasons I started to favor getting unlocked phones and putting them on prepaid plans in the first place. Not having to deal with uninstallable bloatware is another.

I don't know whether this happens in the USA but here in the UK most networks that offer payment plans will now increase the monthly payment of those plans each year, in-line with the Bank of England's interest rates, which is something they never used to do. So what seems like a really great deal when you sign up slowly balloons in price to the point where it feels real bad in the final year of your contract. Especially bad last year when interest spiked up thanks to our terrible government.

It what pushed me into just buying my newest phone outright (because it's much easier to find good value SIM only plans that are fixed price and don't increase with the RIP index)