Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
For some reason I had the strongest feeling it was Axel, though I ended up being wrong. It turns out, in the original movie, it WAS Axel. I was probably just over thinking the movie though, assuming there's no way the obvious choice would end up being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It was more that the obvious choice had all the clues pointing away from them, and even the flashbacks to show how he did it all didn't really jive with what happened. Everything was pointing towards Axel or Harry Warden, with the few hints toward Hanniger being contradicted by the rest. If they wanted a real surprise twist they should have gone with the black deputy.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Gyges posted:

It was more that the obvious choice had all the clues pointing away from them, and even the flashbacks to show how he did it all didn't really jive with what happened. Everything was pointing towards Axel or Harry Warden, with the few hints toward Hanniger being contradicted by the rest. If they wanted a real surprise twist they should have gone with the black deputy.

That's who I really thought it was throughout the entire movie. I couldn't believe they were going to be so obvious, but it was ok because I love Jensen Ackles and any excuse to see him in another movie is a good thing. Even if he's playing a murderous psycho

Also the dwarf kill sent me into a ridiculous fit of giggles. There were so many excellent ones. I was glad to see that the dog (LOUIS!) made it though.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I thought the killer was fairly obvious when he clattered against the gate exactly in time with the fight taking place outside the cage. In fact i'm sure there was another example of this as well.

It was the first movie i've seen in 3D though and I really enjoyed. As others have said, its more an experience than a typical movie. I actually wished my audience had been more vocal.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

cool kids inc. posted:

Also the dwarf kill sent me into a ridiculous fit of giggles.

When did this happen? I don't remember such a character being in the movie.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH

The Remote Viewer posted:

When did this happen? I don't remember such a character being in the movie.

The owner of the motel? Whilst the naked chick is hiding under the bed. She gets stuck through the roof via propulsion of pick-axe

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

djf posted:

The owner of the motel? Whilst the naked chick is hiding under the bed. She gets stuck through the roof via propulsion of pick-axe

I missed the entire opening sequence.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

The Remote Viewer posted:

I missed the entire opening sequence.

Sems like you missed about 40% of the movie if you missed that scene.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Whelp, I think I'm going to see MBV3D tonight.

I just realized that the only horror movie made after 2000 that I've seen has been Land of the Dead. Of course it helps that I've made a point of avoiding all the Saw movies considering that's 90% of the mainstream that has come out this decade.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Whelp, I think I'm going to see MBV3D tonight.

I just realized that the only horror movie made after 2000 that I've seen has been Land of the Dead. Of course it helps that I've made a point of avoiding all the Saw movies considering that's 90% of the mainstream that has come out this decade.

Saws aren't really horror, they're more mystery/suspense that just happens to be gory.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

The Saw films aren't 90% of the horror mainstream. They're just the movies that the media who have no appreciation for the genre believe are the "only" or "90% of" the movies out there.

A few mainstream horror films made since 2000:

Hostel
Hostel II
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Cloverfield
Halloween: Resurrection
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X
Jeepers Creepers
Jeepers Creepers 2
The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
High Tension
The Ring
The Ring 2
The Grudge
The Eye
The Omen
The Amityville Horror
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hills Have Eyes Part Two
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
House of Wax
Silent Hill
30 Days of Night
The Mist
Slither
Bug
I Am Legend
Vacancy
Mirrors
Prom Night (ouch)

Those aren't all necessarily good (in fact, most are pretty bad -- except for SLITHER, please rent SLITHER right away if you haven't seen it), but they're all very mainstream horror films (most of the best horror films of the past while haven't been mainstream) released over the past 8 years, and 90% of them are not SAW.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh god, reading this thread may have solved one of my lifelong mysteries. When I was a kid, I was scrolling through television channels and saw a brief part of a movie where a woman got stuffed in a dryer, and that disturbed me a whole lot when I saw it. I could never figure out what that movie was (the villain wasn't anything recognizable to my young eyes - I couldnt figure out what he was supposed to be, so I couldn't use that to figure out what movie it was) until now. Time to track down the original now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InfiniteZero posted:

A few mainstream horror films made since 2000:

Hostel
Hostel II
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Cloverfield
Halloween: Resurrection
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X
Jeepers Creepers
Jeepers Creepers 2
The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
High Tension
The Ring
The Ring 2
The Grudge
The Eye
The Omen
The Amityville Horror
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hills Have Eyes Part Two
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
House of Wax
Silent Hill
30 Days of Night
The Mist
Slither
Bug
I Am Legend
Vacancy
Mirrors
Prom Night (ouch)

Those aren't all necessarily good (in fact, most are pretty bad -- except for SLITHER, please rent SLITHER right away if you haven't seen it), but they're all very mainstream horror films (most of the best horror films of the past while haven't been mainstream) released over the past 8 years, and 90% of them are not SAW.

I've actually seen more of those than I thought, although most of them were closer to the beginning of the decade, and I didn't realize they were released after 2000. Most of the ones I've seen either bored me to death and I've blocked the experience from my mind. Some I just couldn't think of as horror, and not even Jessica Alba could save The Eye from putting me to sleep.

Slither has been on my list of movies to see for a long time, I just suck at getting around to renting them nowadays.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

Oh god, reading this thread may have solved one of my lifelong mysteries. When I was a kid, I was scrolling through television channels and saw a brief part of a movie where a woman got stuffed in a dryer, and that disturbed me a whole lot when I saw it. I could never figure out what that movie was (the villain wasn't anything recognizable to my young eyes - I couldnt figure out what he was supposed to be, so I couldn't use that to figure out what movie it was) until now. Time to track down the original now.

If it's not the movie mentioned in this thread you might've seen a clip from the original Toxic Avenger, which also has a dryer kill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Saw MBV3D last night, it was definitely fun for the most part. By that I mean the audience I was with sucked. And then the curtain came down during the stinger. :argh:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

pud posted:

If it's not the movie mentioned in this thread you might've seen a clip from the original Toxic Avenger, which also has a dryer kill.

It wasn't that clip, so time to check out Toxic Avenger - thanks!

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
We rented Slither a couple of weeks ago - it was pretty darn entertaining. I just wish Jenna Fischer's role would have been a little bigger.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Well, my curiousity got the best of me last night, so I went and saw this.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. It was a proper slasher film! My earlier disdain for the concept of this remake has been pleasantly proven wrong.

The remake definitely suffered from the lack of Moosehead Beer product placement (it's ALL OVER the original, if you haven't seen it), but it did have the rather comical scene with the actress who was naked for (I think) her entire screentime. The original was nudity free.

The acting was bad (BONUS! my personal favourite bit of bad horror movie acting -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLICoFgb2s), and the direction was shoddy, but it was never really a deal breaker. The biggest laugh from the audience came when Axel magically and awkwardly appeared from behind the curtain in the hospital.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but it was alright -- I definitely preferred the original sillier ending. Overall I had a fun time and would recommend the film to the few stragglers who haven't seen it.

Oh yeah, and before the film started one of the trailers was for the new "Friday the 13th" remake and I had never seen that trailer. I think it was the first time I've ever seen a trailer remake. That was what the original trailer for the original film looked like (with the numbers counting up to 13). I thought that was clever and although I didn't really need an extra push to convince me to check it out, that was a nice nod from the remakers (is that a word?).

Final note: I also recently checked out the new DVD of the uncut original MBV and it looks great. The restored scenes stick out like a sore thumb because the quality really drops, but it was great to finally see that film the way I was supposed to.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
Saw this tonight - my first 3d film! :)

The film itself was really bad (to be brutally honest its a 2/10 for me), but the experience I'll remember for a long time.

I don't mind going to see a bunch of these 3D films, no matter how poo poo just to get used to the effect ready for AVATAR and its ilk. It took most of the film for my brain to click into 3D mode really, and I spent a lot of time admiring the parallax/depth of field stuff.

Was this film shot using the same techniques James Cameron is using, or is the stuff he's been developing over the last few years an extension/mastering of it?

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I went to see this tonight with a bunch of friends. The theater had a good amount of people there but they were not too vocal besides my bunch of friends and some people rows below us. It seemed everyone was having a good time though. All of my friends agreed that it was hilarious and very entertaining. I'm a huge fan of slashers and I've got to admit this one really delivered the goods. Lots of kills and plenty of gore. The whole thing was so loving 80s it was great. 8/10 in entertainment value. I really hope there is a sequel. I need more slashers with Jensen Ackles killing the poo poo out of people with a pick axe.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
It may have been a problem with my cinema or where I was sitting, but a lot of the time there seemed to be quite a few problems with the quality of the movie itself. It seemed particularly blurry and there were strange banding and colour seperation effects all throughout the movie. There weren't that noticeable but they bugged me.
I know 3D movies can look better than what I saw this time; U2 3D was virtually like looking through a window =\

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I had some very mixed feelings coming out of this one. The movie is a lot of fun when it's being dumb and gory and outrageous--- but those moments are surprisingly sparse. There is a good 20-minute stretch where it feels like nothing's happening (did they really think anybody would care about the love triangle?) and the movie was at times an utter bore. Also, the second the Tom guy started popping pills, I knew he was the killer with a split-personality

The 3D's definitely the whole reason to see the movie, but I do wonder if it's really "the future of movies!" like we're hearing out of some industry players. This probably isn't the right movie to judge this on, but while it was enjoyable, the 3D still had a pop-up book feel to it (aside from the instances where you could see the ground/floor and it go into depth smoothly) and all my favorite instances of the 3D were in those moments when things were sticking out to the camera for their cheesy charm. The 3D certainly didn't save those moments that were boring.

I do think I lost out by attending a more sparsely-attended, quieter audience showing though.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice a flash/spotlight or something sweep over the audience whenever the on-screen killer's helment-mounted light appeared? Maybe it was someone else in the audience trying to be funny but it'd be pretty cool if this was an intentional part of the experience.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 26, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lizardman posted:

EDIT: Did anyone else notice a flash/spotlight or something sweep over the audience whenever the on-screen killer's helment-mounted light appeared? Maybe it was someone else in the audience trying to be funny but it'd be pretty cool if this was an intentional part of the experience.

I noticed this too. Pretty sure it was intentional :)

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

lizardman posted:

I don't know about that, but when the light was shining at the fourth wall it was definitely doing something to my eyes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lizardman posted:

Didn't happen at my theater, then again, my curtain dropped when the stinger started. :argh:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Nice to see when My Bloody Valentine is doing better then Prom Night and When A Stranger Calls.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
It's not quite a slasher, but Splinter is a nice indie horror movie with some really good special effects.

Good gore, likable characters that the actors really dig into and very little silliness until the end (When it does get a bit silly).

Worth a watch as long as you don't expect too much.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

It's not quite a slasher, but Splinter is a nice indie horror movie with some really good special effects.

Good gore, likable characters that the actors really dig into and very little silliness until the end (When it does get a bit silly).

Worth a watch as long as you don't expect too much.
I've seen this movie recommended on a bunch of top 10 horror movies of 2008 lists. I'll have to check it out. It looks like it will be a fun horror film.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
There is yet another remake someone out in October. It's called Sorority Row and it's a remake of another one of my favorites, The House On Sorority Row.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
What are peoples thoughts on The Strangers? A couple months ago I went home for a night and my mum had rented it from Blockbuster Online (she pretty much just rents all the new releases without really looking at the titles... we get some strange movies) and I didn't think it was too bad.

Not incredible or anything, but I liked the two actors in it and the isolation creeped me out. I don't like being in an empty house/apartment because I like having some activity and noise around so the parts when Liv Tyler was alone and wondering when her boyfriend would get back and hearing noises were pretty creepy.

I give it points for being the only movie that I have seen (there's probably others, I just haven't seen them) where, once she realized that something wasn't right, she slipped out of the slinky nighty and actually put some drat jeans and a tshirt on.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
MBV is the first movie I've ever walked out on. I've seen screaming cesspools of poo poo like I know Who Killed Me, The Happening, and Max Payne in theaters, yet I left after 85% of the movie was done.

I liked the full frontal and decent death scenes, but the killers identity made absolutely no sense at all.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you

Pillowpants posted:

MBV is the first movie I've ever walked out on. I've seen screaming cesspools of poo poo like I know Who Killed Me, The Happening, and Max Payne in theaters, yet I left after 85% of the movie was done.

I liked the full frontal and decent death scenes, but the killers identity made absolutely no sense at all.

So you walked out on the credits?

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Whispering Machines posted:

What are peoples thoughts on The Strangers? A couple months ago I went home for a night and my mum had rented it from Blockbuster Online (she pretty much just rents all the new releases without really looking at the titles... we get some strange movies) and I didn't think it was too bad.

Not incredible or anything, but I liked the two actors in it and the isolation creeped me out. I don't like being in an empty house/apartment because I like having some activity and noise around so the parts when Liv Tyler was alone and wondering when her boyfriend would get back and hearing noises were pretty creepy.

I give it points for being the only movie that I have seen (there's probably others, I just haven't seen them) where, once she realized that something wasn't right, she slipped out of the slinky nighty and actually put some drat jeans and a tshirt on.
I went to see it in theaters and thought it was alright, but not something I would watch a second time. My problem with it was the predictability and the fact that the "strangers" seemed to know every possible outcome and accounted for everything like they knew how everything was going to happen. Even at the end where they hint at that being their first kill. Also that ice cream never melted.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

HankMcCoy posted:

So you walked out on the credits?

No, before the movie ended. I'm not sure how much was left. It could have been a minute, or ten...but it was lame enough to get me to leave.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

You watch slasher films hoping to see realistic character motivation?

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

I loved The Strangers. I made it my #2 horror film of the year. Simple, creepy and bleak, it caught me by surprise.

to the guy who said it hints this was their first kill... i think it just hints that it was one of the killers first kill, since she says something like "don't worry, it gets easier."

MBV3D was fantastic too, for all the reasons others have stated. I'm going again this weekend. I've heard a lot of people got duped into seeing it in 2D unknowingly, which is a shame because I can't imagine it being the same roller-coaster-esque experience without those stylish Real3D black shades.

And just to put it on the record, for me, the proper order of the Friday the 13th series (from best to worst) would be 7, 2, 4, 1, 6, 11, 3, 10, 8, 9, 5.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I thought the Strangers was done fairly well, aside from the closet scene.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you

evilontwolegs posted:

And just to put it on the record, for me, the proper order of the Friday the 13th series (from best to worst) would be 7, 2, 4, 1, 6, 11, 3, 10, 8, 9, 5.

Not a bad list - mine goes : Paramount - 4,6,7,3,1,2,8,5
New Line - 11,10,9
Full order - 4,6,11,7,10,3,1,2,8,5,9 (loving hate Jason Goes to Hell - despite cool kills)

Also - Sam Raimi is back with horror with Drag Me to Hell and a dude from Bloodydigusting saw an unfinished work-print and wrote a review - http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15099 - seems like a good one.

Its funny but despite all the noise about how the genre is declining - there have been some really good recent flicks that fly under the radar - Jack Brooks:Monster Slayer, Wrong Turn 2, and Inside being prime examples

HankMcCoy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 29, 2009

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

evilontwolegs posted:

I would agree with the first 4 of those.

My order is 7,2,4,1,11,6,9,3,8,5,10...

I really loving hated Jason X, and I'm surprised the love Part 7 is getting.

How do you feel regarding Nightmare and Halloween?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Pillowpants posted:

I really loving hated Jason X, and I'm surprised the love Part 7 is getting.

I've always loved Part 7, but I thought that was just me. It's a shame the director had to cut so much gore and not use his original idea for the ending.

Pillowpants posted:

How do you feel regarding Nightmare and Halloween?

Oh, good lord... I've never tried to rank them, but here goes.

Nightmare:
1, 3, 4, 7 (new nightmare), 8 (fvj), 2, 5, 6.

Halloween:
1, 2, 7 (h20), 4, 5, 9 (remake), 8 (resurrection), 6, 3.