Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you
Gotta say this - this movie is pretty terrible - bad script, bad acting, bad ending, bad direction...

BUT - I loving loved it. It was exactly what i wanted/expected. all the cliches of old were there in spades. there was enough rifftrax moments to keep my friend and i in hysterics the entire time. Ample gore and nudity (really one scene but that scene is long and amazing). The whole feel was 80's slasher and not a wannabee. The audiance i saw it with was nuts - screaming at the screen poo poo like "He's behind you!" and "Ohh no he didn't" without being groaning ironic. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. Seriously, this isn't a film but rather a theme-park ride... and I mean that in the best possible ways.

Favorite line
"She is my wife, mother of my kids, we sleep in the same bed... and we have SEX!"

so many plotholes to laugh at... but isn't that the point? Jesus, i can make a loving laundry list of hilariously dumb moments and ludicrous plot/character points

But the end did suck, which is a shame

HankMcCoy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you

Pillowpants posted:

MBV is the first movie I've ever walked out on. I've seen screaming cesspools of poo poo like I know Who Killed Me, The Happening, and Max Payne in theaters, yet I left after 85% of the movie was done.

I liked the full frontal and decent death scenes, but the killers identity made absolutely no sense at all.

So you walked out on the credits?

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006

evilontwolegs posted:

And just to put it on the record, for me, the proper order of the Friday the 13th series (from best to worst) would be 7, 2, 4, 1, 6, 11, 3, 10, 8, 9, 5.

Not a bad list - mine goes : Paramount - 4,6,7,3,1,2,8,5
New Line - 11,10,9
Full order - 4,6,11,7,10,3,1,2,8,5,9 (loving hate Jason Goes to Hell - despite cool kills)

Also - Sam Raimi is back with horror with Drag Me to Hell and a dude from Bloodydigusting saw an unfinished work-print and wrote a review - http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15099 - seems like a good one.

Its funny but despite all the noise about how the genre is declining - there have been some really good recent flicks that fly under the radar - Jack Brooks:Monster Slayer, Wrong Turn 2, and Inside being prime examples

HankMcCoy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 29, 2009

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
ok, i just saw it last night and here is my take:

Pros - Lots of uber-hot boobs
- pretty solid kills
- lots of really hot boobs
- characters that are straight up slasher-cliches but NOT winking at the camera doing it (rear end in a top hat boyfriend... i miss that character)
- Jason is muy badass in it
- Jason is still a ninja-teleporter

Cons - plot holes, why would he choose to attack the house and wouldnt the rear end in a top hat bf have known about Jason considering it seemed like he's been to the house many times? And does Jason kill because of stolen pot?
- bordered on torture/TCM territory with the girl chained up - didn't go all the way thankfully but still not good

Basically it was good and satisfying but nothing great. It did capture the feel of an 80's slasher without being tongue/cheek and winking at the camera. I'd rank it my 3rd fave but it might grow on me with a repeat viewing (4,6 are my tops, then this, then FvJ, then F13 3-d, then Jason X....)

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

He thought he was in a zombie movie?

god, that would elevate that movie to sheer genius - just by having the guy say something like "She's not dead? Is she a zombie? should i stab her in the head just to be sure?"

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006

Darko posted:

Wrong Turn 2 was fun and actually surprised the hell out of me.

I'm with yea, when I first heard they were making a sequel to Wrong Turn I was pretty apathetic. But drat did that movie rock. I have recommended that flick to so many people and they all agree that it was more fun then it should have been. Seriously, the best Straight-to-dvd horror movie.

This trailer, I dunno - got some cool looking kills and some nice T/A but kinda cheap looking. Its also not the same director of 2

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
after watching the trailer... I'm interested

I like Zombie as a film-maker and I felt the worse parts of his Halloween was when he was doing the Carpenter version in the 3rd act. this one feels a lot more like a Rob Zombie film and im interested on where he's going to taking it.

It's not the original and I don't want it to be, that movie is great on its own. what i'm interested in is HIS take on the material. I want him to do something different then whats been done before.

I do truly feel that nothing is 'sacred'. If the movie is good but different then what we know as Halloween then bravo. if it sucks then it sucks.

also, I wonder if this might make the first one better? I still think Zombie's movie was the best one since the original (mainly since i think that the series had the worst sequels in any franchise - I like 2 and 4 but really, they're just fun and not at all scary) but is just heavily flawed.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
umm Trip report?

I went to the Tribeca Film Fest last night and saw a midnight showing of Ti West's House of the Devil. This is a solid SOLID old school horror film.

Everyone looking for the return of suspense based horror that isn't pretentious - here it is folks.

Story is straight up B-movie - college girl needs money so she signs up to be a babysitter for this creepy couple in a house in the middle of the woods during a lunar eclipse and well... they don't have a kid (not a spoiler!). The movie is shot grainy and uses 70's/80's camera style (actual good zooms!)and music. While it is set in the 80's, the period is not overdone by over doing it like most 80's period pieces are - just subtle touches like pay-phones and walkmen.

While many films now try to be "throwback", this one actually feels like it was made in the 80's. While the last act is pretty bloody, the movie relies more on tension and suspense, creepy noises - creepy people - creepy atmosphere.

I don't know if it got distribution yet since it premiered at Tribeca but from the audience reaction - it will. God I love seeing a well-made horror film with people that actually want to be there in a non-ironic way. I love to hear people scream at the scares and then giggle in acknowledgment of a well-done fright.

trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_-5tU3Diy0 - honestly - I cannot recommend this movie enough - track this fucker down.

wanted to give it another shout out in a different thread. But don't see it expecting a wham-bam-flash-gore movie. It is like Terrance Mallick made an American gothic film.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Just saw Laid to Rest last night and wow... loving terrible.

Pros - The gore effects are truly top-notch and the kills are very creative.
- The main girl is way hot and the acting is sufficient.

cons - the camera work is terrible and done in a way that reminds me of DTV horror flicks made for under 20k
- the soundtrack is horrendous industrial-metal (and im a metalhead)
- characters do dumb poo poo, more-so then the normal dumb poo poo that characters do in hack-n-slash flicks. honestly, a character has a shotgun aimed at the killer while the killer slowly creeps towards him and then kills him. loving fire the gun or have the killer briskly run up and kill him.
- terrible pacing, no attempt at suspense ever - so no stalk scenes
- the killer is given no character at all and a reveal of his name means nothing since the movie never tries.
- the big reveal of who the main girl is is also very anti-climatic
- the main girl never goes nude and you honestly don't know she's hot until the last 10 minutes (since this is an "old school slasher", this is a point)

This movie loving pisses me off so much because it had so much potential; decent actors, awesome gore, and a killer that could be menacing. But this movie fucks it all up by seemingly made by a hack that loves slasher movies but hates film-making. I love slashers, grew up with them. Pieces is an awesome movie (check that out now if you haven't seen it). I dug Hatchet, which is like this but more fun and better made, I really liked Behind the Mask, and I overall welcome a return of the sub-genre.

I love lovely movies of the 80's but many people miss the point. Trying to make a lovely movie will make a lovely movie that is unwatchable (like this one). The reason those movies were somewhat successful was that they weren't trying to be bad, they were trying to be good but failed - the sincerity of it made those films memorable and fun to watch. Laid to Rest wanted to be a bad movie and succeeded. loving watch See No Evil instead, that movie was terrible but at least more fun to watch.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
gotta say, i'm digging the H2 trailer. Is it vastly different looking the then original series? yea, but that's not a bad thing. The worse part about the original series was the strict copying of the original's formula with much less talented directors. This actually looks like a Rob Zombie Halloween movie. Highly stylized and not-adherent at all to the original, addressing what was the biggest problem of his remake.

I'm more curious then excited but that's enough for me to see it opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006

FirstCongoWar posted:

Should I go see Cabin Fever 2 in a few weeks? Apparently it's been sitting around unreleased for a few years, so it's probably completely terrible, but I liked the first one.

It directed by TI West... so yea see it - its supposed to be gory as gently caress and as if John Waters made a gore-horror film