Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I watched Grave Encounters last night and I really don't see what all the hype is about. I found it mostly forgettable without any real redeeming qualities.

We've just finished watching the Vanishing on 7th Street and I don't think I've seen a worse film in over a year.

I enjoyed Grave Encounters, it was a decent ghost/haunted building story. One thing struck me as so dumb and obvious though. Why did they not even consider going out the one open window? I mean the ghost even opened the drat thing for them. I get that it was two/three stories up, but they had enough gear to make some sort of rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'll never understand people's intense dislike of Skyline.

What is it that makes it so hated? It's not like it's unwatchable on an acting or technical level.

I understand 'meh'. I don't understand eye gouging tendencies.

I think it lost most people when the concept of the Alien's needs became clear. Brains! I just thought it was boring and lacked passion from the actors. The ending also had me laughing so hard, I began to think it was a Dark Comedy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I laughed at the ending too, and the whole brain thing was really amusingly silly. I loved it.

Wasn't that the point? :ohdear:

I've never looked into what the point of it was because of its absurdity. If it was trying to be a cheesy, almost throwback, to older sci-fi movies than I can see it working a bit better. However, since it was such a huge blockbuster budget film its hard for me to see it that way. It tried so very hard to be earnest in its attempt at "scaring" which wasn't working. I thought some of the ideas were pretty cool though, the bug light idea on humans, the ship being made up of aliens. I just expected those metaphors to become more points in the movie; a story on collectivism, or how easy our brains are washed, but instead we got a love triumphs over evil tale and I think that disappointed a lot of people. Hell even my fiance, who's big on romantics, rolled her eyes and said she wished the female somehow managed to destroy the ship from the inside for retribution in them taking her boyfriend, not him maintaining himself and killing all of them as an alien.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 29, 2012

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Blockbuster film budget? The shot the thing for like 10 million bucks.

Really? Well color me impressed then. Looks way better than that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That was the big deal about it. From script to the wrap of filming they spent less than half a million bucks. The Effects work was just over 9 million.

Wow that puts the movie in a whole different perspective. It was something a friend recommended and I had not heard a lot about. I think I'm going to rewatch it this week.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's impressive from that standpoint but they hired the cheapest actors possible and the script was obviously a first draft. Most of the shots were probably all one takes as well.

The lead actor was actually one of the few high points for me, his female costar wasn't so much though. The guy from scrubs was also pretty bland in my opinion. From what I can remember of certain scenes I could see some shots being one take, a lot of stuff during the party for example. What bugged me a lot was the story structure. I hated the opening five minutes only because it does the cliche cut to the night before which eats up a lot of time with worthless information basically. If it had just ran from the morning of the attack I still would have caught on to most the character archetypes they displayed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd like to recommend the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as a good Horror movie. It has rape, murder, a serial murderer, and some gore. It has to count right?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
From Amazon: Despite super effects, a huge budget, and the cinematic pedigree of alien-happy Steven Spielberg, this take on H.G. Wells's novel is basically a horror film packaged as a sci-fi thrill ride. Instead of a mad slasher, however, Spielberg (along with writers Josh Friedman & David Koepp) utilizes aliens hell-bent on quickly destroying humanity, and the terrifying results that prey upon adult fears, especially in the post-9/11 world.

I think its best to concede its a horror.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My first foray into horror cinema came at the age of 9, Nightmare on Elm street. All of them. I still love those movies so drat much. (1 through Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What, in particular, is "of its time" about Suspiria? The fact that the giallo was in full bloom?

Because they didn't have cellphones, duh!

In seriousness though, I wouldn't mind a Suspiria remake by this director. Good stuff so from him so far. It'd be nice if they let him make an original horror movie, but I like Suspiria enough to see another take on it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Do you have any recommendations for this kind of movie? Found footage and mockumentary is the theme of my next Horror Night, and I need some stuff to watch.

So far all I have is: Noroi, Blair Witch, and maybe Paranormal Activity.

The list Moses made is good, but I would include The Poughkeepsie Tapes. It's a mockumentary based on found tapes of a serial killer. The storytelling is similar to those a&e/bio/I.d. Channel shows about a murder.
Edit: The mockumentary term makes this sound more lighthearted in my head, and just so you know it's a serious movie.
Edit 2: I may be wrong apparently.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 12, 2012

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Frankly the bioweapon thing made more sense to me anyway. It's a virus that turns people into "zombies", whereas in REC it's some sort of occult thing that somehow turns people into zombies and is also an infection... :psyduck: The movie doesn't do a good job of explaining it and it left me confused. Was it supernatural? Was it biological? The movie was biological throughout the whole thing, and then changed to supernatural at the very, very end.
At least Quarantine was consistent, even if it was "safe" and cliche.

The impression I got from the ending scenes in [REC] is that the upstairs zombie had been treated for decades by a priest trying to exorcise demons out of her. As time continued on the priest realized it was a virus and began investigating that angle.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yep, in REC2 they flat-out tell us that it's all a demon possessing everyone using a virus passed along through body fluid.

Somethings should just stay vague and ambiguous.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Alright, alright, you've convinced me to watch Quarantine.

Seriously though, nice write-up. I've never seen Quarantine because a friend of mine said, "It's literally the same movie dog." You make it seem like it has its own legs to walk on. Thanks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ariza posted:

Jason X had Jason (or his Mom, I forget) slamming the girls into the tree while they were still in their sleeping bag. I like this better than the reboot because it maintains the silliness of the last 5 or 6 Friday the 13th movies.

They don't seem to send monsters to space for no reason anymore and I find that shameful.

I always Loved the opening of this film after the initial capture of Jason. We go into the future to a time where Earth is a massive dust bowl incapable life, yet a freezing chamber with the world's most prominent killing machine was still around, and working! If I remember correctly wasn't the crew at the beginning there for him specifically?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Naw, the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead is superior.

Ok not really, but I do prefer the remake to the original.

Day of The Dead is number one in my book. Not sure why, but I just love that movie to death.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wouldn't mind a link to your reviews, Xandoom. You can PM me if you don't want to post a link here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Detention was like Scott Pilgrim, but for slasher movies instead of video games. It had some pretty memorably insane bits too, mostly TV hand, Gord the Canadian vegetable space alien, and everything Clapton does.

How can you forget the coach?!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uq1PhGQtFoM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Duq1PhGQtFoM

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So I just came across an IMDB for David Cronenberg's son Brandon. His first feature film is out and called "Antiviral." Anyone know if it's any good?

Edit: Just had time to find a trailer.

Definitely Cronenberg's kid.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Saw it last year and it's pretty great.

It's very much a slow burn and less Tetsuo than the trailer would make it seem but it does the celebrity/disease thing pretty well and Caleb Landry Jones is great at being skeezy.

Sweet, your description is exactly what I wanted to hear about the film.

Edit:

Also, since I brought up Cronenberg, I watched Shivers for the first time last week. That was a great little movie, and I enjoyed it way more then I thought I would.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I thought the prequel confirmed Childs is human because he has an Ear ring at the end of the movie.

If you look at both movies to get the whole story of the creature then it should be assumed that the creature is learning these tricks as the humans figure them out so it's adapting and putting the earring back on to keep up the illusion. I've always considered Childs as "a thing" at the end so maybe I'm over justifying that theory. Even when the prequel came out though I mentioned to people that the thing did seem more blunt and juvenile in behavior until the end of the movie when it understands better how to adapt. I love "The Thing" movies, Carpenter's is one of my top 5 horror movies of all time. Kurt Russell's beard should have its own movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I don't like living in a world where people would prefer a definitive answer to something like "who is the Thing at the end of the Thing" to the ambiguity that is clearly in the film, being so desperate to ruin that ambiguity that you cite some guy on reddit who knew a guy that heard someone say something once or cite a prequel from 20 years later as evidence of that really happens in a film makes me sad. .

I don't think most fans of the film care for a definitive answer, it's just that it's easy to feel justified in the answer so people latch onto the idea of it being the right answer. Like Cinnamon Bastard said, thematically it does not matter if Childs is actually one, MacReady has already decided no one can leave and the game is lost, the best solution is to make sure it all gets destroyed. However, the last five minutes of the movie lends itself so well to idea of Childs being the Thing that people just latched onto it. Hell I did, and I don't even care if its true, I just like the idea that there's this twist at the end that MacReady and the Other will spend their final moments together, both trapped and completely alone, and instead of the usual human desperate to escape, it's the Other that is trying to flee for survival.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Isn't that sort of the premise of the movie?

The isolation and despair aspects are sure.
However, most of the movie everyone is trying to escape and survive. The only person who isn't trying to is considered crazy and locked in a shed, which serves as a great visual metaphor for the denial the crew is experiencing. MacReady only confronts and embraces this truth in the last act, and it still wasn't enough to defeat the Thing since they essentially stalemate.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The only thing I would really say before watching it is that it's a ghost story rather than a horror movie.

I've described it to friends as "the only Lifetime movie you might enjoy since it is a good ghost story and has a couple decent scares."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

They're usually good about spoilers on Hitfix so hopefully someone will remove it soon. That sucks though since it's supposed to be a great moment.

I'm guessing the time portal opens up, but instead of getting sucked in Ash gets spat out and slapstick routines ensue.

Don't tell me otherwise. :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If anybody's looking for a schlocky Canadian horror-comedy parody of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dazed and Confused, you should check out Todd and the Book of Pure Evil streaming on Netflix. By all accounts, it should be terrible, but the enthusiasm of the cast and the ambition of the show is surprisingly infectious.

I recommend this show to everyone I know, I'm so bummed season 3 probably won't happen.

Atticus is the best.
Wolf rape, wolf rape!
Edit: added link to my spoiler

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 10, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just finished the UPN cut

Do you, or does anyone have a link to this? I've found several versions, but I want to make sure I watch the right one, then the other ones.

Edit:

priznat posted:

I think you can pinpoint the exact moment when Insidious takes a turn for the worse: when the gas mask thing comes out. Looks creepy but whaaaaat? After that it gradually goes further into goofball territory.

The pictures with the dad as a boy and the old lady showing up in them are pretty creepy though

Insidious never gets worse. :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wait did someone diss Hellraiser 2 'cause that movie rules. Rest of the Hellraiser sequels are very bad, though.

You didn't like Inferno (the sorta Noir cop one)? It's the only beyond 1 and 2 I consider good. The MMO one is just hilariously bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I did not like Inferno. I thought it was bad enough that it stopped me cold from going further down the well of Hellraiser sequels. I think if it didn't have the Hellraiser brand attached (which it originally wasn't supposed to), people would remember it as a Z-grade DTV Jacob's Ladder ripoff if they remembered it at all.

I can see the Jacob's Ladder ripoff elements. So you haven't seen any past that one? The last two were so bad I thought I had opened the box and was now in my own personal hell of terrible films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I keep meaning to marathon every Hellraiser movie. I just rewatched the first one (which is one of my all time favorites, lovely sequels aside) so maybe I'll dive headfirst into the abyss.

It's quite the ride. I did that about a year ago (a buddy had never seen any). What do you think of the other Clive Barker movies? I really enjoyed Midnight Meat Train, and the Plague wasn't too terrible, but I haven't seen Gods and Monsters even though I keep meaning too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nobody appreciates Nightbreed as much as it deserves.

Speaking of, though, I still need to see Candyman, and I've never even heard of Gods and Monsters or The Plague.

I forgot about Nightbreed! That is a good one. The plague stars James van der Beek, so ya, everyone hated that watched it with me. It's pretty forgettable I just remember enjoying it when I watched it.

The first Candyman is good, skip the rest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hate how the SA mobile app won't let me edit my posts. Sorry for back to back posts.

You made me go look up the Plague, and turns out Clive Barker had almost nothing to do with the actual story, merely produced it. Similar story with Gods and Monsters, except it's considered a great movie.

Glad to hear Pig Blood Blues, that should hopefully be good if it comes out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

priznat posted:

FYI if you sign out of it and sign back in it will let you edit them again (if this is the "Awful" app on iOS, I had the same issue).

Cool. Too bad my password is a string of incomprehensible nonsense I can never remember, thanks SA password generator! I'll do that when I get home and look at the saved password manager on my computer.

Since we're still talking about Clive, is Lord of Illusions any good? Based on his story The Last Illusion. It's supposed to be a horror-noir, which has peaked my interest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Parachute posted:

But every episode seems to have some random semi-famous star in it, which unfortunately is usually the most interesting part of the show.

Remember the Nightmare on Elm Street t.v. series? The only reason I liked that show was the one episode with Brad Pitt.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SubG posted:

Character dramas are hard to film for very similar reasons, and so many horror films fail because they're unwilling to be, first and foremost, about character. If you wanted to do a good `lovecraftian' horror flick, I think you'd be better off (in terms of the quality of the end product) making a film about, I dunno, Ray Winstone or somebody alone in a room than throwing a huge wad of cash at ILM. But I don't think horror audiences, as a rule, would prefer watching two hours of Ray Winstone alone in a room over two hours of special effects.

I would if it was Ray Wise.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm always hesitant when you post youtube links. Sometimes you post great ones, other times it's like your mocking me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It doesn't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Living_Dead_(film_series)#Return_of_the_Living_Dead:_Necropolis_.282005.29

I'm pretty sure his point is that those are so bad they should not exist. I did enjoy RotLD: Rave to Grave, but it was not exactly good cinema.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

penismightier posted:

Ha, this one is actually pretty cool. It's a little stop motion remake of the movie with a mock-80s soundtrack. I don't usually go in for that sorta thing but there's a lot of creativity to it.

Good recommendation. I enjoyed that a lot. Do you listen to the band? If so, is all their music in that style? I've been on a huge kick of 80's soundtrack style music lately, thanks to Beyond the Black Rainbow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Friday the 13th part II, definitely. Dawn of the Dead, arguably.

You mean Day of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caiman posted:

Zombi 2.

Shark v Zombie is a great gag.

Fun Fact: the shark was fed horse meat and sedatives before they filmed that scene.