Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

QPZIL posted:

Is that the one where the doctor stitches people together mouth to anus to form this huge human worm that is self-sustaining or something?

In a word, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've never seen a Final Destination movie. Do they constantly rotate to new casts, or is it an ongoing epic about how Death is the most incompetent self-correcting force of nature and how all the other demiurges laugh at him behind his back?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"THE VIRGIN" and "THE WHORE" honestly sums up a lot of horror movies.

If they're being that blatant about it I really hope it's some kind of FEAST-esque parody or deconstruction.

I'm probably getting my hopes up for nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

That's exactly what it is, but with a budget, professional cast and acclaimed writers.

Oh, wow. I don't know how I missed the byline.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I guess I just don't have the eye to be as picky as some about CGI. Maybe it's because I grew up watching taped Universal Pictures horror movies and the idea of anything being "bad" compared to stop motion where you can practically count the individual movements is just alien to me.

(I use the term "bad" loosely here - not technically unimpressive, just lacking verisimilitude.)

To mess with my immersion a CGI creature would have to be walking at an impossible angle to the screen or clearly fail to interact with the cast. If anything creature aesthetics that don't quite conform to real proportions or textures help by making it seem more strange and threatening.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 14, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think the Thing is artificially intelligent in the sense that it simulates everything it infests to the point that the simulated "host" doesn't even realize it's a Thing, (i.e. Thing.Dog is an AI, even if Thing.Thing is not) but I'm not sure that's exactly what SMG et al are getting at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cubone posted:

Okay. I've wrapped my brain around the concept that the Thing is a metaphorical "female", because females are emotional and it exploits emotional weaknesses.

It doesn't exploit emotional weakness, it exploits the weakness (or insufficiency, anyways) of ultra-rational, positivist thinking, which in the case of the movie and popular culture is coded as male.

This isn't quite "women are emotional, emotion is alien and scary," it's about a bunch of guys who are literally incapable of not being macho or not being scientists, and dying because macho rationalism can't save them from The Thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

So, how would being more emotional have helped them at all?

What, literally helped the characters in the film? It wouldn't have, it's an alien that wants to infect their cells to make copies of itself.

I don't think the Thing presents a viable alternative to rationalism, at least from a human perspective. I enjoy Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy as horror films because generally speaking I like rationalism, I think it's a pretty good model for viewing reality, and all three of his apocalypse trilogy films are about forces that threaten and destroy it.

In At the Mouth of Madness art and creativity manifest as world-destroying evil, in Prince of Darkness faith and science are both ridiculed by "nature" in the form of bugs and STDs and a demonic pregnancy, and The Thing presents emotional and instinctual behavior as rebelling against the mind and winning.

These aren't morality tales about how rationalism is bunk and it needs to go, they're the nightmares of a mind that wishes it were perfectly rational and is terrified by the cracks in its disguise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

But in the end it does. Mac and the others realize that the only way to "win" is to destroy the camp and prevent it from getting to civilization, so they end up blowing up the makeshift UFO, blowing up the camp, and ultimately accepting that death is their only option if they want to save the world.

It saves everybody else, sure, but everyone in the camp is dead. I guess you can kind of count that as a "win" for rationalism, but honestly I see it more as a combination of luck (that the Thing landed in Antarctica, for instance) and a symbolic microcosm.

It's like the end of Lord of the Flies, sure the day is saved and things will be okay from that point on, but a miniature version of our society totally just imploded into murder and self-destruction when faced with a certain kind of problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LeosBoots posted:

So, Del Toros new movie, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. It has a kid in the trailer. I'm not sure if it's a spoiler but he's worked on other movies before. Pans Labyrinth, the Mimic, and the Orphanage all had one thing in common. He kills kids, even if they're the main character. That kid in the trailer is going to loving die

Ofelia doesn't die at the end of Pan's Labyrinth. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

QPZIL posted:

HELLRAISER: REVELATIONS
Starring: Raul Julia as Pinhead

Nah, that would be awesome and a great reason to see the film.

Also I still want a better adaptation of The Hellbound Heart.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 23, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Got the Midnight Meat Train director's cut DVD in the mail today. I've seen the regular version and liked it a hell of a lot, looking forward to watching the DVD.

I hope it tweaks the ending a bit. It's a decent movie on its own but it pretty much throws out the original moral / punchline to the short story entirely, which is a shame.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I'll re-read the short story before I watch the DVD, I've got that volume of the Books of Blood handy.
I forgot, what did the ending in the movie change?

Not a whole lot content-wise, just two details at the very beginning and the very end.

At the beginning of the short story, the protagonist spends a paragraph or two talking about how much he hates New York; the people, the smells, the noises. Then at the end after he's made his bargain with the ghouls he comes back to the surface, kisses the concrete, and proclaims his love for the city.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Honestly "you're a bad person for liking our film" is always going to be a tired, lovely tactic. Better to make a horror movie that defies the tropes you see as regressive or bad filmmaking or whatever than indulge in them just so you can rub peoples' noses in it.

EDIT: As a disclaimer, I haven't seen Martyrs yet. Although now I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neumonic posted:

It always amazes me how some people don't realize that many horror films' intended effect is too make you feel like poo poo; the same type of people would have said that Sophocles "went too far" when Oedipus fucks his mother and stabs himself in the eyes.

I was going to call you names and mention the word "catharsis" a bunch of times, but it looks like somebody beat me to it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

Wow Nightbreed is just one big jellied mess of a movie. I don't see how the fabled director's cut could be any better unless it was literally an extra hour and a half of cut.subplots. WTF was up with that priest?!

On the other hand, David Cronenburg in a starring role!

Edit : reading IMDB it seems that there actually was a full hour of plot.cut!

I didn't have any trouble following it, but then again I read the novella immediately beforehand. The two are much more similar than Lord of Illusions, for example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RBX posted:

Just saw Poltergeist for the first time on TV.

:stare: I've been missing out. Are the sequels worth it just for enjoyment? I know they're supposed to be bad from what I hear.

Poltergeist II is kind of worth it as a curiosity rather than as a good movie; it was one of the major causes behind the invention of the PG-13 rating, and Giger worked on the monster design.

It's still pretty awful, though. I haven't seen the third one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

eckoelab posted:

actually, the whole PG-13 push was around Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins. I remember the uproar of the public when those where coming out and the freaked out parents that took their kids to see 'wholesome adventure movies and flicks with cute, innocent animals'

Actually it looks like I was thinking of the original Poltergeist, which still predates Gremlins and Temple of Doom by a few years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You just described the original planned cut of Curse of the Demon, give or take a few details.

There's also Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is barely a horror movie at all seeing as rather than gory but offscreen deaths people just disappear but that's getting a little further afield.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wormil posted:

I've been passing over Ginger Snaps too, always assumed it was terrible for some reason I can't articulate.

Ginger Snaps is terrible, but more for the subtext about female sexuality than for its execution as a horror movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Ginger Snaps is awesome. Don't listen to this dude.

I'm not saying he shouldn't watch it. It's just an incredibly uncomfortable film, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in an exasperating, disappointing one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Have you seen Fallen? It's not exactly horror, but it's a creepy movie that does this quite well.

I'll second this recommendation. It's one of the only films I've ever seen that handled a body-jumper without a single defined actor well enough to make it convincing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I saw Eden Log today, on this thread's (somewhat delayed) recommendation.

And drat, I know taking recommendations from goons is a bit of a gamble, but this was awful. The characters are paper-thin, dialogue is badly written and delivered flatly, and there's little to nothing to connect the audience to the plot emotionally. The only thing in the film that made me react at all was the spontaneous make-out-oh-wait-it's-actually-rape scene, and only then because it felt so exploitative.

At several points the film stops to feed the audience exposition in the form of video logs, and even manages to screw that up by distorting the audio on one of them so badly I had to turn on subtitles to figure out what the guy was talking about. The reveal at the end feels like a desperate attempt to be clever, but fails to explain why the main character can reinvigorate the plant or what his motivations are for doing what he does in the final scene.

The one thing it has going for it is the atmosphere and set design, which wears out its welcome by never changing and is otherwise wasted on a bad movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

I'll not argue how you feel about the movie, but is it really that fair to state that a dub represents how the dialogue is delivered or written. Whoever dubs the French horror/sci-fi movies (Magnet, usually) gets the absolute worst voice-actors to fill the roles. Unless you were actually listening to the French version. Which I doubt since you had to turn on the subtitles.

That explains it a little, although it doesn't change my overall opinion. I got it on Netflix and didn't bother looking at the options menu, so I didn't even realize it was dubbed to begin with.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got around to seeing Grace.

That... sure was a horror movie. I don't think I've ever been that disturbed or disgusted by a film, but I'm not complaining. I liked the use of light and visual callbacks to make seemingly innocent scenes more grotesque and threatening, and although the third act kind of crossed the line between horror and horror comedy at times it does surprisingly well by its premise.

The concept seems like it could really easily fall into a "woman's body as object of horror" trap, and it certainly crosses that territory, but I think there's enough psychological horror mixed with the physical stuff to justify it.

Overall I'm impressed, and I'd recommend it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robawesome posted:

Watched Grace last night after reading about it in the thread, and it was certainly unsettling. I felt a strange sympathy for the mother, doing whatever she had to do to keep that kid alive.

I read a review that interpreted the film as a critique of the idea "a mother should be willing to sacrifice anything for her child."

Sadly it didn't go into much depth and the reviewer seemed to think that the film being written and directed by a man undermined that reading, which I disagree with for several reasons. The interpretation itself seems sound, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

Is talking about Underworld: Awakening kosher in this thread? Because it owns really loving hard and everyone needs to see it while it's still in theaters.

Only if they fired everyone involved with the previous movie.

Except Derek Jacobi. He can come back and be in every scene.

EDIT: Make that "involved with the second movie", apparently there was a third. :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've got to disagree here. I found Noroi plodding and dull, and the widespread cultural acceptance of the supernatural as a real thing was really jarring as a Western viewer.

I also vaguely remember hating the ending for thematic reason, but I can't recall exactly what it was and for some reason none of the synopses I can find online discuss the ending. I don't really care to watch it again to find out, though. :geno:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Toriori posted:

I can see why you think that. There were definitely some moments where I was feeling bored with what was happening. I enjoyed it overall but I can see why it would be considered dull for sure.

I feel like Japanese horror falls into two broad categories, the paint-by-numbers genre of ghost stories with a grounded, slowly revealed intrusion of the supernatural into mundane life, and then there's the really wild stuff like Tetsuo or Uzumaki or anything directed by Miike.

I admit I'm very biased towards the latter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Larch Tote posted:

More of a thriller, but Cargo is pretty good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

Probably too late to stop the people who were asking for more space horror, but Cargo is awful. The plot is nonsensical and derivative, the characters are bland and the relationships between the members of the crew change with no explanation or build-up, and the big reveal is an anti-climax at best. The whole movie feels like an unfinished sketch, the visuals are pretty much the only thing it has going for it and even those are more technically proficient than inspired.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Just finished The Awakening, and I'm a bit confused.

Is it supposed to be at all ambiguous whether or not the ghost really existed? It seems to completely confirm it, and while I realize that horror is usually about the supernatural it seems kind of strange to spend so much time building up the protagonist as a skeptic only to simply prove her wrong.

I liked the film's atmosphere and even the jump scares, but unless I'm misunderstanding some crucial detail about the plot it seems really contrived and kind of pointless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I read the first sentence of that Cabin in the Woods spoiler and I'm actually more excited to see it now than I was before. v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Danger posted:

Once again, people weren't concerned with where this video is found at Blockbuster.
I don't think that's really what makes something science fiction. If the element of scifi was plausible it would NOT be science fiction. Scifi is fantasy with a different aesthetic.

I think Hollis is being overly dogmatic about genre but this isn't quite accurate, either. Sci-fi and fantasy don't map perfectly onto "speculative fiction" and "mythical fiction" but the association is pretty strong, and speculative/mythical fiction are definitely not the same thing.

Or, put slightly differently: science fiction is not interchangeable with fantasy, but Star Wars is a fantasy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Toriori posted:

How was Event Horizon? I'm stuck on what to watch tonight,

The best of a terrible subgenre. Expect nothing, be pleasantly surprised.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness? I thought it was more or less incoherent and full of bad effects and acting. Was a shame, since I like most of his movies.

Prince of Darkness almost convinced me that The Thing was a fluke. It's that bad.

In retrospect Prince of Darkness is probably the fluke, and proof that Carpenter shouldn't be allowed to write his own scripts, at least not without supervision.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I saw The Company of Wolves around age eight, at a time when I regularly had nightmares inspired by a traumatic experience with an (actually quite friendly) dog as a toddler.

This scene did not help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wresBTVrSzk :v:

EDIT: It actually still gives me chills until 1:36, at which point it becomes hilarious.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, if we're just talking ratings and not horror specifically, my parents took me along to The Last Temptation of Christ in theaters before I was a year old.

Beat that. :smug:

oh god this explains so much

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They story jumps around a lot, introducing characters left and right, most of whom never even get named, and some of the horror stuff is really out there They fight a demon early on, who uses all the meat in a refrigerator to build himself a physical body, so it's just a bunch of steaks, sausages, turkeys and other things in the form of a body.

Sounds kind of like Cast A Deadly Spell. (A good thing in my book.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

Tum again?

He means Carol. They always get her name wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

To each his own. I dug it as sort of a novel-length version of the tone he went for in The Yattering and Jack.

I don't recall noticing any printing errors, but if they were there, it'd be extremely easy to argue for them as being intentional.

The difference is that The Yattering and Jack is funny and full of understated pathos, and Mister B. Gone is just drab and annoying. It seems like there's supposed to be some kind of clever meta-layer to the novel but unless I'm just dense, it never delivers.

Personally, all I want is an Imajica miniseries.