Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Insidious Chapter 2 was awesome. I'd be hesitant to really call it horror though it's at times very tense. Patrick Wilson continues his trend of playing characters who are completely ineffectual at being the hero. I'm not sure he actually accomplishes anything in the movie. It's Elise and Jason's son who really save the day. I also really enjoyed the way the movie frequently swerves around traditional horror movie scares. The best example might be the scene in which Jason's mother is wandering around the house and eventually takes a moment to go into the bathroom, look in the mirror, and compose herself. Instead of the usual "looking away and then back again only to see a ghosts reflection" scene the ghost just passes by in the background. It's not really played as a jump scare and instead the door slowly closing itself is the real unsettling moment.

It's a movie not afraid to revel in its own ridiculousness. The old assistant getting choked out while rasping "Quesadilla. QUESADILLA!" is right out of Young Frankenstein.

I also can't think of many movies that feature with the ghost of an old psychic beating another evil ghost back to death with a rocking horse. A ghost rocking horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Fart City posted:

I feel like American Psycho and Fight Club would make a rad double feature because they're both deconstructions of masculinity, and both films are vastly superior to the books they are based on.

I've never done it but I've always thought that American Psycho and Vampire's Kiss would work well as a double feature.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I had every intention of watching Near Dark last night but unfortunately it's not available to rent off of amazon or any other streaming service I'm subscribed to.

So instead I watched a DVR of Scream, Blacula, Scream that I'd recorded off of TCM last year but hadn't gotten around to yet. It ruled.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Whoever is writing copy for Netflix should probably be fired.

Please do not fire The Crypt Keeper, he needs this job.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What horror movies could reasonably be described as "Basically an episode of Scooby-Doo"?

House on Haunted Hill

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure you are thinking of The Halloween Tree, a movie I also only vaguely remember from seeing early morning on TV as a child:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Halloween_Tree_%28film%29?wprov=sfla1

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

He Examined The Horror Thread: Posts? Posts. Posts, Posts, Posts. And Bits of Sick.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

While we’re on the subject, has there ever been a demonic possession movie wherein the main possessed person is a dude? Seems like it’s usually women and then one dude gets possessed for 10 minutes along the way. (Obviously evil dead 1+2 does this, but In those movies I think the ratio of deadites still leans female.) Is there a movie called ‘The Possession of David Smith’ it anything like that?

"The Rite" has Anthony Hopkins get possessed over the course of the movie. Outside of maybe one scene where he gets to ham it up for a couple of minutes it's mostly pretty dull.

Though even then the demon is still initially possessing a girl at the start of the movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Horror Express would be my favorite movie that I found out about from this thread if it wasn’t for Ghostwatch.

I watched Horror Express on TCM a couple of years ago having never years of it before and it ruled. The red eyed Rasputin-looking monk running around the dark train car towards the end was a fantastic visual and a great way to do an action scene with very little budget.

Also, the last title to send this thread off should be New Horror Thread Go, Live. Old Thread Stay, We Belong Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Nightbreed rules I don't care what anyone says.

Back when I was in college my sociology 101 professor had us write a paper analyzing any film we wanted using the various concepts we'd learned in class as our final. To show us an example she gave us all a complete essay she'd written on the sociological implications of Nightbreed.

She also said that her brother was abducted by the aliens from Dreamcatcher. That class ruled.