Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
I actually just heard of My Bloody Valentine the other day while watching Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (which is a real fun to watch little documentary). It looks good. I think I'll check out the original first.

I've also never, unbelievably, seen the original F13, but this remake looks good.

Also, that TCM remake is exactly like the Dawn of the Dead remake: Good enough on its own, if you avoid making comparisons to their respective predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Yeah, Tucker & Dale was tons of fun. We caught it on Vudu on the PS3 before it was officially released.

Speaking of VOD pre-releases, has anyone seen The Innkeepers yet? It's Ti West's new film (he did House of the Devil, my favorite horror movie of 2009/10)

The trailer looks good but it almost seems a bit ... generic? However the reviews I'm seeing on RT and the like are saying it's very well made which I expect from West.

I think I'm going to VOD it this weekend.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

I went ahead and plunked down the $10 or so VOD fee and watched The Innkeepers a couple weeks ago. Loved it. I am becoming a huge fanboy of Ti West. While the general plot, ending, etc, was all fairly formulaic and yes you've definitely seen a haunted hotel before, the acting between the two leads was just phenomenal. Especially Sarah Paxton's character. Throughout the entirety of the thing I just found myself wishing I was there, hanging out with these people. It's been said before, but if you liked The House of the Devil you'll love this.

On the topic of mini-reviews, I also saw Stakeland last weekend. The ending was utter poo poo, IMO; I don't understand at all why Mr. just decided to leave. I can already feel myself forgetting a lot of that movie, although I enjoyed it a good deal watching it ... it was just a well-made movie about vampires that had a series of semi-related events with a pretty threadbare plot. You could do a lot worse for a $4 VUDU rental though.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

The Changeling

Agreement with a small point of clarification: this Changeling. Caught it on HDNET or one of those channels and really dug it.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Ocean Horror:

Dead Calm is a really great 90s thriller with Billy Zane, Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil, if we're casting a wider net (puns, lol) than just horror.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

CobiWann posted:

an awesome post

You are a good person.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

edit: ^ Do you mean Black Sabbath? That's been on Netflix before for a long while...

Watched Grave Encounters last night for the first time. Absolutely loved it. I avoided spoilers on it because I like to go in blind and the House Of Leaves-type of haunted house angle was fresh (in the movie world) and a great fit.

I actually had the idea of this exact premise as far back as 2009 ("A group of frauds from a reality show about ghosts encounter a real demon and get their poo poo pushed in") but the writers took this in a different, superior direction. I expected the movie, with its fairly low budget, to just throw a bunch of scary monsters at the protagonists. Pleasantly surprised it was so much more psychological[/spoiler.

The effects were a bit lacking (budget) and the whole [spoiler]distorted face
is really, really played out. Imagine if instead we had Dead Space levels of insane creatures, or, at the very least, some very convincing practical facial makeup.

4.5/5, a must-see for horror fans.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Acrolos posted:

This is always my favorite way to see a horror movie. Fortunately we still have a couple drive-ins within an hour or so from my house, so I make the trip occasionally.

Sorry for the low-content post; I don't really have anything to add to this except that I saw The Blair Witch Project right when it came out at a drive-in in Erie, PA, and there was only like 2 other cars very far away and nothing but woods behind us and gently caress me that was a great experience.

fake edit: Wait, content: Is Bless the Child any good?

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Watched The Innkeepers ...

After that, I watched House of the Devil. ... I disliked this movie immensely.

I've watched The Innkeepers three times now, and I think last night makes the 3rd or 4th time I've watched The House of the Devil. I enjoy both of these movies immensely, and equally.

Your post is really interesting. As I was watching HotD last night I recalled, again, how much I absolutely loved Samantha. I didn't see her as greedy or stupid. Kids in college have basically no money. When I was sophomore (Samantha's age), I once had to cover the check I wrote for my phone bill with coins I found in my car. I sympathized with her a lot.

Early in the movie she's committed to giving up on the whole thing (after Tom Noonan stands her up and she falls asleep on the campus steps). And then she almost backs out again when she sees how creepy and off everything feels. Noonan's character has to basically force her to stay by throwing money at her. When she counter-offers with a really large sum ($400 to his $200, IIRC?) that's not her being greedy, that's her secretly hoping he'll say forget it so she can walk away without regret. Haven't you ever done that sort of thing before? I have.

I'm actually thinking of buying the BluRay of it even though it's perpetually available on Netflix.

However, I will give you that Claire is ultimately more likeable. I wanted to just hang out with them. If there's anything I miss about being young and poor and childless, it's actually the ennui. Innkeepers captured that perfectly.

tl;dr: ti west is my favorite director & i love him

epoch. fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 22, 2012

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

This weekend, we watched Excision and del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

Excision was relatively well-made, and particularly, the acting was commendable. Traci Lords did a real good job, I've always kind of liked her. The ending wasn't supposed to be a surprise was it? Or a twist? I mean, they telegraphed it from like five minutes into the movie. That said, when it happens, it's still effective. Eh...call it 6/10.

I mainly want to talk about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. What a horrible piece of poo poo. Just awful. And the bitch of it is, I had heard it was terrible. I don't know why I watched it. Do not watch this movie.

All that aside though and it's a really good looking movie. The areas outside the house are particularly beautiful.

Tagline for DBAD: "Nobody would ever do anything that happens in this movie."

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

So basically, it's a good movie that rustles jimmies because :qq: TACTICAL REALISM :qq:.

No. Basically, it's a bad movie. We're not talking about the traditional horror movie tropes of "Don't go in there!"

A little girl, aged 6-9, decides to go into the scary, creepy, nearly-pitch-black basement/dungeon (that the new owners didn't even know existed [until it's discovered outside of the house by the little girl and later her dad decides to take a loving sledgehammer to a wall of perfectly-restored original woodwork {"don't worry I can just fix it" lol}]) of her estranged father's architectural renovation home in the afternoon of, say, her second day there (because?). Once down there she attempts to use a wrench to open up the terrifying bolted-up-shut furnace because she hears a multitude of scary-as-gently caress whispering voices calling to her by name. And her demeanour through it all is not "yay new friends!" or "cautious intrigue" but a nonsensical combination of depression and -- seemingly -- boredom.

Nothing in this movie makes sense. And not in a cool way. It's played totally seriously. It's just bad.

And don't even get me loving started on Chekhov's Polaroid, holy poo poo.

edit: Bonus WTFLOL: Everyone is deaf in this movie. I don't mean literally, I mean they loving must be. Shortly after she attempts to open up the furnace, her father leans in closed, with his ear right against the grate, to listen for the voices she claims to have heard. And the little demonic faerie thingies attempt to shove a long metal pole into his ear. It scrapes loudly against the metal grate. The audience hears it, but he says, (after it barely misses him!!! WHOA poo poo) "I don't hear anything now".

Later, during the climax (I guess?), the little girl is trapped in the library with dozens of these loving things and her only weapon/defense is Chekhov's Polaroid. She's screaming, the 3-bulb flash is going off incessantly, and the little demon thingies are all snarling and growling and shouting at her and throwing books and poo poo around, while an entire dinner party stands helpless to just bust down the door. When they finally do get the door open and (surprise all the demon things are gone [hey man let's just pretend that she didn't just cut off the arm of one of them with a bookcase and DAD IT'S loving RIGHT HERE and let's pretend there isn't twenty or so developing pictures of the thingies]) her dad says "I think we're going to have to call it a night" and the the main dude they're trying to impress at the dinner party loving huffs like he's so offended his night has been ruined by this pleb's daughter being assaulted by a dozen mutant demon thingies OR the man is as deaf as Stevie Wonder is blind.

epoch. fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 29, 2012

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah The Abandoned is one of those movies I never hear discussed. It's got some real interesting stuff in it. Pigs are scary. (Read Clive Barker's Pig Blood Blues, so so so good)

But I don't think I'd recommend it to a person who isn't "into" horror movies. I'd go with Trick 'r Treat. It's fun. Also, Poltergeist.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Daveski posted:

I'm so jealous.

God, me too. Lucky fucker.

The first time I watched Evil Dead II, I felt it was way superior, too. And in some ways, it is. But the tone is so vastly different that I actually consider them completely separate movies and I can't honestly rank one above the other. Which is especially bizarre considering II is a remake of I.

Almost every time I watch II, I'm blown away by just how quickly poo poo goes out of control. poo poo, Ash is possessed, like seven minutes in.

Evil Dead I is more scary. I find demons inherently terrifying, I guess ... but the very inhuman way in which they behave; the ravenous, maniacal, evil laughter ... just gets under my skin. The actors do a pretty poo poo job at being humans but they are amazing demons.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

^ Editing out your original post is a pussy move, bro.

We watched Sleep Tight or Mientras Duermes over the weekend and it is the exact opposite of a "fun" horror movie. It's not a horror movie at all, generally speaking, more of a psychological thriller, I guess? Whatever classification you wish to apply to it, one thing it is is incredibly hosed up. It's the first movie in a long while that made my wife genuinely disturbed and she decided to screw around on her laptop during the last quarter of it or so, so it wouldn't disturb her as much.

(See, when people want to not be involved in a movie, they do other poo poo.)

Because of its pitch black tone, and a purely evil character -- the likes of which we haven't seen since Michael Myers in Halloween -- this movie scared me more than any in recent memory. Or, at least, disturbed me. When Cesar begins to totally unravel, and confronts the little girl, first I thought he was just going to rape and/or kill her outright. Then as he's holding her out the window, I was almost certain he was going to just let her drop after he's threatened her entire family. When you watch your average TV drama, even if it's on the level of, say, Breaking Bad, your mind always commits to the safe bet. No matter how precarious the situation, you know Walter White is going to be alive next week. And probably Jesse too. And in the average American horror movie, your mind is 99% certain that the bad guy will lose so you're at least subconsciously disengaged somewhat with the conceit of its terror; "it's only a movie", etc.

Sleep Tight? Yeah, not so much. It seems perfectly capable and willing to go anywhere, to do anything, so your safety blanket of suspended disbelief is nowhere to be found.

You will not have fun with this movie. But this is a very, very good film.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Anyways...Return of the Living Dead is basically the best zombie film right? Can we agree on that much people?

Of course. There isn't even a counterpoint to be made here.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

I hate it when it seems like I've seen everything worth seeing. Especially when it feels like I've seen everything scary. Reading the discussion on the Ring makes me wish I could watch that all over again, from fresh. *sigh*

How is Ju-On? Is it scary? I want something loving terrifying.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Apes-Ma posted:

Stagefright is great, but Michele Soavi's best film is still Dellamorte Dellamore.

It manages to be subtly creepy, outrageously funny and even poignant and sad. That ending still sits with me as one of the most melancholy endings I've ever and I have no idea why it hits me so hard as it does.

Hells yes. I adore that movie. Cemetary Man was one of the first foreign horror films I saw, and thusly really opened my eyes.

quote:

Poor Gnaghi. On his ID card, it reads: "Distinctive visible marks: All." He has a real passion for dead leaves. Can't stand it when the wind blows them away. Oh, well. We all do what we can not to think about life.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

That is great news. Where did you see it, at the cinema? Is it on demand as well?

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

I check in on this thread like once a week and I usually miss the conversation I want to participate in but hooray! I didn't miss the BWP discussion quite yet.

I'm 31 and saw the film later in 1999. By then all the "it's real u guys" talk had died down but we were still stoked to see it. My girlfriend (now wife) and I were on a tiny "vacation" for like two days in Erie, PA with her father and we saw it at a drive-in theatre. In the rain. In the dark. With a hundred acres of woods behind us. Most moody horror experience ever. I pray there's an afterlife and we can re-live things there.

Another good film is the Bare Wench Project.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I figured I'd bring this up since it wasn't too long ago in this thread we had Richard Matheson chat, but unfortunately according to a Facebook post his daughter made, he passed away yesterday. No official news source corroborating yet, but it seems to be true.

Now might be a good time to take a look at this section of his Wikipedia article to reflect how much the horror genre, textual and visual, owes this dude.

e: Tor is running the story, with a screencap of the Facebook post in question.

Came here to post this and I'm quoting you old friend to make sure people read that Wiki link. People over-use the phrase "was a God" but truly when you refer to Matheson, he created entire subgenres and tropes that lesser man evoke and repurpose on a daily basis. He was a God. RIP; I hope his vision of the afterlife in What Dreams May Come is accurate.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

foodfight posted:

I've never seen Poltergeist and I'm watching it this weekend. So stoked, although it still might be one of the last remaining horror classics I've never seen.

Poltergeist is perhaps my earliest horror memory outside of things like Scooby Doo and still one of my favorite films. You are very lucky that you get to watch it for the first time. Bear in mind Poltergeist is rated PG because PG-13 did not exist yet. But still it is a fantastic example of how a film can be truly scary without being rated R.

(It's just that PG-13 is such a good indicator of toothlessness nowadays)

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Hollis posted:

For some reason I've always found it kind of odd that Tobe Hooper directed that. How do you direct something like that and then it's just "Oh wait, Stephen Spielberg was involved".

The rumor is that Spielberg was very involved. Then we may chalk up TCM as a happy accident, and easily say that Hooper sucks.

e:f,b

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Hello my dear, favorite thread. I have a smattering of things to discuss.

My wife and I watched The Conjuring and I enjoyed it a good bit. I was raised Catholic so while I know on the surface that nothing probably happened it tingles the same sensation in me that a good UFO story or Bigfoot story does; I want to believe. I was quite impressed with Vera Farmiga, has anyone watched her Bates Motel? Is it worth checking out?

Got to thinking about some movies I watched when I was a little kid when they would air Universal or Hammer films on a Saturday afternoon and I had a fear/obsession with Dracula. I finally figured out the one film I never knew the title of, having only remembered little fragments and images where Dracula's cape flies away like a kite over the sea: Dracula (1979) starring Frank Langella. Anyone seen this in the last 25 years or so? It's probably awful.

Similarly, I have vague memories of a film from the same era where a woman is a vampire and it starts off, I think, on a plane? And she bites someone ... and then some brief imagery of some cobblestone streets. It was pretty atmospheric, but modern. I think the woman was supposed to be a descendent of Dracula or something. If someone has any clue what this is, I would love you for it.

Unrelated: I caught most of Halloween II on AMC last night and holy poo poo is that movie bad.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

It was the original Halloween II. I guess I shouldn't say "that movie was bad" but "things in that movie were really dumb." The hot-tub murder scene, in particular. He can boil her face off but it doesn't affect his hands? Loomis's interaction with the cop who was essentially asleep during the scene. It just felt so lazy.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

"He's basically indestructible, just go with it" isn't good enough for the hot tub scene?

I guess. I never really cared for that aspect of Michael Myers. I have not seen any of the Halloweens save for the original (which is great)

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The better part of this scene is that when it shows the temperature gauge it reads like 125 degrees, very well below scalding temperatures.

It's one of my favorite stupid movie goofs ever. Halloween II was not counting on an audience smart enough to know the boiling point of water.

Actually 125 will scald you, perhaps even give you 2nd degree burns, but it won't melt your face off.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

weekly font posted:

I impulse bought it after Nissun Timore talked about it but RLM just did a quick cut about it so I imagine it's gonna start going around.

e: It's only available on VHS which kinda owns.

Apparenetly it is also available on DVD now. I wish I had a VHS player, I would be all over the VHS edition.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Per O posted:

What are some really good slow burn horror movies? I'm in the mood for some long, dark, slow trek into terror.

House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Orphanage

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

We watched Jim Mickle's We Are What We Are, and he is now officially someone I am watching. I have also seen his Stakeland and People-Turn-Into-Zombie-Rat-Things film, Mulberry Street. The latter is not discussed much around here, but I recall it being very good (for an indie) with very believable, human characters (not models in mcmansions like most horror movies these days *cough*)

I'd say that Stakeland and Mulberry St have a pretty similar tone which is more of a slick action-packed vibe but We Are What We Are is almost too slow, and dreadfully serious. I find this contrast interesting, as it looks like his next, Cold In July, is another very serious, realist piece.

We watched it through VUDU, a digital rental service but it's probably also on Amazon (not-prime) but not yet on netflix.

As I said, it's a little slow, but hang in there, because it may be the best ending I have seen since Let the Right One In.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Is there such a thing as a print of Suspiria that isn't overdubbed? I actually quite like subtitles a lot but voice overdubbing I actively detest. I haven't been able to watch the film despite several attempts because of how distracting it is.

Right now I'm committing the cardinal sin of watching it on a second monitor as I do a little freelance work, and that's actually helping, since I'm constantly reminded of the atrocious lip synching issues. It's like watching a cheap cartoon.

edit: the title track's quiet background screaming sound like the inspiration for Converge's style and :love:

epoch. fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 3, 2014

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

saulwright posted:

Yeah I have to agree that the Babadook trailer doesn't do it for me. I guess I'm just tired of the singular-demon-invades-household formula, whether the demon is Babadook, Baghul, Darth Maul, the dybbuk, Toby (even though I go easy on the PA films), Mama, etc. I also highly doubt it takes a turn like The Omen... I'm sure it will end with some boring vanilla triumph for the protagonists that showcases the power of family.

I mean I'll watch it hoping for a pleasant surprise, but still...

I'm with you. I watched the trailer at work (without sound) and I feel like I would have been super excited for this movie ten years ago. We have had an awful, awful lot of troubled family becomes more troubled by troubling ghosts in a troublesome home while being shot in underexposed film with a reduced color palette. I'm just getting really sick of the whole aesthetic. Even though I like the aesthetic! I prefer almost total darkness at home and I like darkly stained woodwork, and old houses, and all that poo poo but it's just not really reality for most people. Insidious, The Conjuring, Badonkadonk, don't these people have lamps?

You know what loving rules about Poltergeist? I mean, besides everything? It's a really believable family in a really believable setting (hell, it's a McMansion before McMansions were in vogue) and it's broad daylight in like 80% of the shots and the little girl is tormented by the spirits despite not being a descendent of some demon barber or whatever-the-gently caress.

I get it. People like moody, suspenseful movies. But making your movie suspenseful just by filming everything in near-pitch dark is lazy. A creepy porcelain doll cast in shadow is scary, sure. You know what's scarier? Have your protagonist autistic child watching Sesame Street in broad daylight while his mother cleans up his scattered pasta from the kitchen floor and Elmo breaks in mid-sentence of his song, and the background musical number is drowned out by static and the other muppets continue their dance, oblivious, and Elmo looks directly at the child, and tells the child he will eat his soul.

Whatever, sorry, just venting a bit. We need more monsters, more demons (not PA bullshit demons but like Night of the Demons, demons), more ... just, more.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

My favorite part of Resolution was the setting. More Native American mysticism in the woods, less vaguely-Christian McMansions, please, tia.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

1990 NOTLD is my favorite film, I think. Maybe it's a three-way tie between it, The Thing, and ROTLD. If you have not seen 1990 NOTLD you absolutely must.

edit: I own like three copies of it (VHS, DVD, probably a CD-R) and I still think I'll rewatch it on Netflix tonight.

"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up."

edit2: Supposedly someone was working on a new Blu-Ray release because the previous BD release was garbage? Anyone know anything about this?

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's not one you see too often. Why?

Well, to be sure, I said "favorite" and not some objective "best" quantifier, but yeah. Favorite. Something about the overall feeling of it. Probably has a lot to do with the time and place I first saw it; in my girlfriend-now-wife's friend's mom's basement in high school in a small town where renting VHS movies was one of the few things to do. We loaded up on snacks and watched that and Fright Night.

I'm from the surrounding rural areas near Pittsburgh and the whole film feels like home. Savini & co. made a great homage while also making a remake while also creating some new thematic elements e.g. the western pa rednecks shooting the helpless zombies in nooses and watching them fight like bum fights; the aforementioned "we're them and they're us" line.

It's cheesy but gory and has some serious things to say without ever, ever being a chore.

And dat Tony Todd. I mean, really.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

e: oh and Afflicted drops in limited release today.

I have not heard of this. Between this, Oculus and (maybe) The Quiet Ones, we've got some pretty decent flicks to get excited about. Oculus is actually at 100% on RT right now and that's not just from horror-payola blogs.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

I got around to watching Insidious ch2 (netflix instant atm) last night and ... It was good. I'm coming off a real wicked stomach flu and my wife was out so I watched it alone in the proper setting albeit somewhat drifting off every now and again. I thought the main story thread was pretty compelling and I do dig the way they tied it to the first film. Bit otherwise it was a bit like, well, more Insidious. All those films sort of blend for me and feel rather samey.

I still had time to watch another film alone and picked the original Leprechaun! What a hilarious piece of poo poo. I really don't understand the mindset of the filmmakers in 1993. Let's make this R-rated horror movie but not bother to make it scary and let's have some guys from Ernest Goes to Camp in it and also this broad who will go on to make a zabillion dollars (said broad, Jennifer Anniston, is fine as hellllll in her denim jorts and LA Gear kicks, goddamn). Actually, come to think of it, the whole thing has a very Ernest P. Worrel sort of vibe to it.

It's basically 80% kids movie, 10% gore-out-of-nowhere which feels really inappropriate in this kids movie, 5% LA Gear promo, 2% Irish racism, 2% Jameson, and 1% "gently caress you, Lucky Charms"

I kind of loved it. Glad I watched it.

epoch. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2014

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Call me when somebody makes a feature-length Pig Blood Blues.

This post makes my black heart sing. That may have been my favorite story in that book, and drat-near every story is fantastic.

Jacqueline Ess, though, is that the ghost blowjob story? I hardly remember that one at all. I read all the volumes in 2006, why the gently caress is that a long time ago?

edit: nm that was Sex, Death, and Starshine.

edit 2: wait I have more poo poo to say about Books of Blood. I really, really wish it was, like, physically possible to make an adaptation of In the Hills, the Cities. I remember being excited that Dread was coming to film but never bothered watching it, pretty sure I read some lukewarm reviews, has anyone here seen it? That was a standout story as well.

epoch. fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2014

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

My wife and I watched Rosemary's Baby when we were younger (maybe 19?). I enjoyed it well enough, but she found it boring. Through outside suggestions years later (probably other women/internet) she revisited it around the time we had our first child and now it's her favorite film.

Age, context, timing. It's crucial to your enjoyment/understanding of a film.

Clerks and The Boondocks Saints are still awesome to me because I'm not dumb enough to revisit them in my thirties.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Watched The Bay on the night of July 3rd, didn't even know it was set on the 4th of July, made for a great experience. I'd heard pretty good things from various sources but never bothered to watch it because I assumed it was single-camera found-footage, but it's actually straight-up faux documentary.

If you're grossed out by bugs and even a little bit tuned into how much we're loving the ocean lately, it will be quite effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

Felt the same way about Frontiers as I had just watched at the tail-end of the initial torture porn wave and I guess I was just burned out on it. It felt like "hey what if hostel and tcm had a baby and it spoke french?" I don't know.

I think it's probably worth revisiting because lately I've been feeling almost nostalgic for torture porn.

Serious family drama about ghosts in a house shot in blue filter is tired as gently caress.