Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

sulphix posted:

What ever happened with the sequel to The Descent. I heard that it came out in the UK and was scheduled to come out in the U.S. sometime in December. I'm assuming that it's going straight to DVD and will be released here eventually, but does anyone know of anything more concrete than this?
It's in cinemas here in Sweden at least. But it's not worth seeking out. No style or sense of claustrophobia at all. It's basically an inferior rehash of the first one with some amazingly bad ideas thrown in.

Some guy is about to be killed by the cave monster. Out jumps an unseen person, kills the monsters and strikes a ridiculous action movie pose. Camera pans up to reveal... Juno. No, I'm not kidding. And the ending makes no sense at all.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Did anyone else see Grace? I saw it a few days ago and I'm still not quite sure what I think about it. It's well acted, well directed, atmospheric and creepy but I just couldn't quite understand what it was trying to say. Having a child is traumatic and requires sacrifice? Mothers are willing to go to any length for their children? Vegetarians and lesbians are weird and should let men decide?

I'll definitely watch Paul Solet's next film.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Yeet posted:

I watched it too. :(. It was boring and I don't know if the subs were off but the dialogue was really terrible.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the dialogue. Subs? You don't speak English?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Yeet posted:

Hmm it was in Korean when I watched it. There were a lot of "cool, bro"s flying around.

Also I know this was posted a way long time ago but I will repost Treevenge, a pretty hilarious short about...killer christmas trees.
Oh, there are no "cool bro's" in the actual film. So you can blame the subtitles for the dialogue.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I just added A New Beginning after Final Destination 5 as a joke, that's not the real title.
Real title: Final Destination V: The New Blood

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh I know this, but it's what the kids want!

This is crazy talk. CRAZY TALK. The whole movie is validated by Debi Sue Voorhees' nude scene alone.
It's kinda validated by the fact the her name really is Voorhees.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
And A Simple Plan is one of the finest movies ever made.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Heads up. You should really check out a Thai movie called meat grinder. The ads and dvd covers makes it look like an incredibly trashy saw wannabe and its really much better. Sometimes its a bit disjointed and hard to follow but its generally well acted and directed. And very, very violent.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This movie looks insane from what I can find out about it online. A lot of Asian horror movies seem to be really ramping it up lately, I generally prefer the slow burn psychological movies but I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Speaking of which, what does everyone think about the Japanese splatter movies that seem to have been popping up in recent years? There seems to be a whole subgenre of these that I just recently stumbled on by watching a movie called Tokyo Gore Police. To me it played out like a comedy along the lines of Dead-Alive, complete with bad stop-motion models and never ending arterial blood sprays, only they crank that poo poo up to the next level, and I loved every bit of it.
Keep in mind that Meat Grinder is nothing like Tokyo Gore Police or Machine Girl. It's much more serious.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
If you're a fan of Argento and Bava you owe it to yourself to check out Amer. Just be warned that it's not really a horror film and that there's basically no dialouge in the whole film. It's like if you strip away everything but the colours, score and freudian themes from Argento and Bava.

Poster for the people complaining about posters. This poo poo is good. :nws: I suppose http://theaterofmine.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/amer.jpg

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Saw Season of the Witch tonight.

Wasn't bad. Damned sure wasn't fantastic, but it was watchable. Kinda odd that Nic Cage keeps his accent in the movie steadier than Robin Hood's Kevin Costner did.

I am of the firm belief that most anything that contains Ron Perlman is worth watching though, so that may color my tastes a bit.

Kinda reminded me a bit of Soloman Kane, so if you liked that one, you would probably dig this one.
Then you should go watch Black Death. It's a little similar to Season of the Witch in some ways but a much better film.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
You should all see The Woman. I'm too lazy to write anything about it at the moment but I highly recommend it.

Edit: If a film can get this reaction you know it's good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lUAZLB4JY

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

weekly font posted:

Good? I'm sure Serbian Film or Human Centipede got reactions like this too.
Both good films.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The Woods is honestly the least-"Lucky Mckee" of all of Lucky Mckee's movies (also, the only one where he didn't have a hand in the screenplay). Roman and the Masters of Horror episode "Sick Girl" are much closer in tone and, to my mind, much better.
How is Roman? I've been told it's quite similar to May. Which sounds very interesting since it's directed by Angela Bettis and Lucky McKee plays the title role (in May it was the other way around for those who don't know).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

How often has it happened that the FIFTH movie in a series is on-par with the first one? Fast Five? Saw VI came close in some ways, but it's also not the 5th one in the series.
Hellraiser.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, it looks like a plot they should have tried years ago when they still had the semblance of a budget. Some of the scenes in the trailer are laughingly bad..the whole thing with the girl screaming and she yells "It's Stephen!" and dude shambles in like he just stepped out of a stoner comedy. I don't know. It's probably got some interesting ideas that are overshadowed by how crap it's going to look.
It was just made to retain the rights to the franchise (ie: to go ahead and do a remake of the original) so it not like anyone was expecting it to be any good.

If wikipedia is to be believed the remake was first going to be directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo (Inside) which would have been a great choice. Then it was supposed to have been Pascal Laugier (Martyrs) which would have been loving perfect. Now it's apparently going to be in 3D and directed by Patrick Lussier (Dracula 2000) and written by Todd Farmer (Jason X). If that's true there's little chance it won't suck.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Bonk posted:

Any unique zombie movies I should check out? By unique I mean showing an interesting new perspective on the genre. So far I'm planning on watching Colin, which is apparently from a zombie's point of view, and The Dead, a zombie film set in Africa, both of which I haven't seen before. I also enjoyed Fido (50s zombies) and Dead Snow (Nazi zombies).

Basically anything more than "it's present day Middle America and a ragtag group fights off zombies and gets picked off one by one" would be nice.

Nobody in that movie dressed in drag at all. :confused:
There's a french film called Les Revenants (aka They Came Back) which I haven't seen but heard a lot of good things about. The imdb summary explains why it's unlike most zombie films: "The lives of the residents of a small French town are changed when thousands of the recently dead inexplicably come back to life and try to integrate themselves into society that has changed for them."

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't been keeping up with modern horror movies for a while. The last one I saw was Paranormal Activity (the original), which I mostly thought was really boring.

I feel like going on a buying spree, picking up a bunch of quality horror blu-rays. What would you guys recommend as the best horror movies made over the past 2-3 years? Like I said, I pretty much haven't seen anything other than PA. Any subgenre will do, really.
I'll just give you a list of a bunch of stuff I liked: The Human Centipede, Drag me to Hell, The Woman, The Last Exorcism, Let the right one in/Let me in, Thirst, [Rec], Grace and Eden Lake. All quite worthwhile.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I think this was mentioned a dozen or so pages back, where the poster who saw it was pretty certain it was just misogynistic torture dressed up in feminism. Given McKee's track record I'm not sure I buy that until I see it, but it at least underscores the fine line you walk with this sort of film.
It's really good and the people who think it's misogynistic totally miss the point imo.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

All right, I'll be sure to avoid that one. What about Vacancy?
It's quite good.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

The Downfall posted:

Alright watching Hostel part 3 right now, and oh my god the beginning is awesome! Camera work and sets are very well done for a D2D
It's really way better then it has any right to be.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What is up with that? Carpenter also has this problem. Do they just forget how to make a movie look good or to hire the right personnel? Do they get their budgets slashed? Does 80s movie making not translate well to present time?

Look at Cronenberg, dude makes beautiful and fantastic movies. He really grew as time went on.
Not to mention Dario Argento.

How the gently caress do you go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7_v_CRZxg

To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08fCOAvU0U

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The American remake of The Ring was my first introduction to Asian horror, I saw it in theaters when it was out and thought it was very effective. I haven't watched it since then, so maybe a lot of it was everything seemed new to me still, as we hadn't yet had the surge of Asian horror remakes that made everyone bored with little ghost girls with long black hair. But it had some really scary scenes, and that drat video. My brother said it's basically just any random film student's art project, which I thought was pretty funny, but it still creeped me out.
I'm with your brother on that one and it's a big reason I don't like the american version quite as much as the japanese one. In the original the video is some weird poo poo on a severely degraded tape. The american one just seems like a Nine Inch Nails video.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Saw a few horror films during Easter and I would like to recommend all of them.

The Abominable Dr Phibes:
Amazing performances all around. Fantastic production design. A man is killed by a pack of flying foxes (the actual animal, not foxes that fly).

Wake Wood:
Fantastic atmosphere. Acting is top notch. Love the usage of wind turbines as ominous symbols of a line you can't ever cross.

The Church:
Soavi is one of my favorite directors. Amazing visuals. When I watched it I was thinking that the score sounded almost like Goblin covering Philip Glass. Turns out that the score is Goblin covering Philip Glass.

Writing on phone. Will write more later. Watch these films!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes should get the gently caress out of this thread right now and not come back til you've seen it.

And yeah, The Church is good too.
And what about Wake Wood? Go watch it!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Are we talking this Wendigo? Because I steered clear of it after I saw a bunch of negative reviews and the DVD box-art made it look like typical movie rental store horror-movie filler trash. But if it's actually worth watching maybe I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's on Netflix streaming, maybe my local Blockbuster has a copy.
It's that one. Same director.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Soooooo...Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies just went up on Netflix. Anyone seen it? If so, how much bourbon should I buy before hitting "play?"
From what I've heard, all of it.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Levantine posted:

Just watched the Perfect Host and it was an odd, good little movie. The pacing was a little strange and I wasn't entirely sure what it was going for until the end but David Hyde Pierce was just so well cast.
Totally agree with you that The Perfect Host was good but I feel that Clayne Crawford (aka the other guy in the film) is getting a bit overlooked. Pierce was totally fantastic and a genius bit of casting but without someone as good as Crawford opposite him it could have failed spectacularly.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Watched Lord of Illusions on Netflix. That was a fun movie. The effects were crap, but I guess it really fit the theme.
I really wish that Clive Barker would have continued directing films.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Military, yeah. I've seen those 2, but thanks.

A few I think are decent:

The Bunker
Deathwatch
The Keep
Dog Soldiers
Below

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

'Below' rules, everyone should watch it.

I don't quite dislike 'The Keep', but it's nowhere near as good as the book (and it completely changes the ending which is really, really bizarre). Like it's not a bad movie, but given the sheer level of talent backing it (Michael Mann directing, Ian MacKellan, Jurgen Prochnow, Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn starring, music by Tangerine Dream) it should have been way, way better than it is.
Some of the omissions from the book are really baffling, too - the movie never says the villain's name, nor do they say Scott Glenn's character's name. This is bizarre because in the book their names end up being really important to the plot.

Totally with you on this one. The Keep should have been AMAZING. Still, it manages to be weird and interesting and that's good enough for me most of the time.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I watched The Blob (1988) the other day. It's really good. Kevin Dillon owns in it. That is all.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Crackerman posted:

I respectfully disagree.

Best thing about Dark Hero is it starring a young David Hayter.

Holy. poo poo. I'm going to have to see this. And I have a feeling it's going to be painful.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does anyone know how Galaxy of Terror holds up?

One movie that's stuck in my craw from a long time ago was this one. I remembered a few things: it was dark, it was sci-fi/horror, and there was an alien worm or something that rapes & kills a woman. It was on HBO when I was a kid and one of those films that I snuck in the living room to watch while my parents were asleep. I don't remember too many details but it horrified me for years as a child.

Googling "sci-fi worm rape" led me to it (I don't imagine that's happened too much in films in this genre); it certainly looks dated from the Youtube trailer, but I also noticed that it's got Sid Haig AND Robert Englund in it. Also directed by Roger Corman.

The wikipedia article on the film claims that it's out on Blu-Ray, so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the film and can recommend picking it up.
I really like it. It's low budget schlock in that charming Roger Corman way.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Darthemed posted:

But then, as a sort of palate cleanser, I watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer with the TCM friend, who'd never seen it before, and who was kind of blind-sided by it.
That movie is in a class by itself. It's unpleasant, uncomfortable, done on a shoe-string budget, and it's a masterpiece. It's so strange to think that its budget almost went to a period piece about wrestling.

My favorite thing about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is that John McNaughton was supposed to do a documentary on the Chicago wrestling scene in the 1950s. When that fell through the producers just handed him a hundered thousand dollars and told him to make a horror film with lots of blood. I have to wonder what the hell they thought when he showed them the film.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

weekly font posted:

I just watched Excision. Holy poo poo Excision.

I want to watch it again as a double feature with May.
You should throw American Mary in there as well.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

I apologise if this has recently been asked but I've read the last several pages of the thread and not seen anything like it.

Does anyone know any good films about machines going rogue/awry? Not necessarily as violent for want of a better word as The Mangler (although that's a pretty good short story) or Maximum Overdrive.

I remember seeing a very good short film called I think Blinky about a kid who got a toy robot and abused it to the point where it went rogue, that was very well done. I just think there's a lot of potential for horror in that sort of thing, doubly so if it's sci-fi (HAL in 2001 is a good non-horror example I suppose).
Demon Seed. As a bonus it's very 70's and completely nuts.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
To continue the Brian Yuzna discussion: I have a lot of respect for him but he's also made one of the worst films I've ever seen. Faust: Love of the Damned is so incredibly awful.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah King of the Ants is pretty good. Stuart Gordon in ultrasleaze grindhouse mode, sort of a precursor to Stuck. Definitely a movie that makes you want a shower afterwards.
Agreed. And the casting of George Wendt is pretty inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

See I avoid Bloody Disgusting like the plague and then it has a piece of information I want. YAY! We only had to wait like 15 years? 20? I loving love Nightbreed the Make up on that film was loving great.

Also I wathed All Cheerleaders Die, I didn't think it was a bad film, also it's literally a lesbian romance which I thought was cool and new.

I can't think of a single gay horror film that isn't absolutely loving awful. (Yes there are in fact gay horror films, yes they are loving terrible). I'm actually trying to think of one right now and can't come up with poo poo.

Am I crazy or is Lucky McKee making feminist horror films. Seriously.
I thought Hellbent was pretty fun.