Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I always love how the Friday the 13th movies take place at "Camp Crystal Lake", because my girlfriend lives in Crystal Lake, Illinois and it's weird to see "Welcome to Crystal Lake" on a movie poster, attempting to sound menacing.

It can't be evil there! They have the good Chili's!

Edit: Oh and that means that when they have that poster at the Crystal Lake movie theater, and it says "Welcome to Crystal Lake" it's just welcoming people to the town they're already in.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think that any reboot of Scream would miss the point entirely. Plus, why are people rebooting series from the 90s?

I think it could work. As Scream was a satire on the slasher film, a Scream reboot should be a satire on remakes. Especially considering the amount of horror remakes and reboots we're seeing now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That's a really good poster. I could do without the tagline on the top though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Slasherfan posted:

One thing I learned from Frightfest, never EVER accept popcorn being given to you or let them photo you eating it :,-(

Can you explain this?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Slasherfan posted:

Final Destination V: A New Beginning.

This title gives me a headache. How can something be the Final Destination but also a New Beginning?!?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darko posted:

7 had the sleeping bag death.

I like F13th 2 and 4 for that old "at camp" feel even though 4 took place at a house. 1 was stupid, but okay for what it was, 3 was annoying. 5 would have actually been a lot better were the kills not first person through 85% of the movie (why are we not seeing a masked face?). It was still drat funny. 6 was okay, I guess, 7 was a worse version of 6, 8 was kind of amusing but hurt by the editing and Jason teleporting, literally, everywhere (and the lack of New York if you were expecting that), I hate 9 and X, FvJ was hilarious, the remake was the only one where I thought a death was kind of "rough."

What kind of person thinks FvJ is hilarious but hates Jason X?!? You are an enigma, sir.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JammyLammy posted:

Just got done watching Cabin Fever, that was good. Was expecting a gorier movie with the way everyone was going on about it. Fun ending, though should have expected that what was going to happen.

Is Cabin Fever 2 any good? Or just a shameless money grab?

It was basically created to be a shameless money grab, then directed by someone who wanted to make it something cool, then cut and edited so much that it's a complete train wreck.

Not the entertaining kind of train wreck.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Those of you that just saw Crimson Peak - is it too scary for my horror-hating wife? I can't get a good read on that. She hates jump scares.

Trip report on this; she liked it a lot. It was a little touch-and-go at the beginning but once the movie settled in to its groove she realize it wasn't going to be a jump-scare marathon. She's okay with gore and violence so that wasn't an issue.

It's definitely more of a gothic melodrama than a horror film. But that happened to be exactly what I wanted.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I concur completely about Crimson Peak. I enjoyed the film a lot, especially as a fan of Del Toro's indulgent visuals. I think it's worth seeing for the art direction, costumes and sets alone.

Also as a follow-up from earlier, my horror-averse wife enjoyed it as well. It's a gothic melodrama, really.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Steve Ghost: Coast To Coast

Followed up by its less popular spinoff, The Cook Show

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

lol

truly a golden age of jump scares

The artful, non-gore horror of the Friday the 13th series

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just finished that TCM Dracula Double Feature.

Spanish Dracula is way better than Dracula in every way other than Bela Lugosi.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I thought It Follows was really great, although most people in my Halloween Scary Movie Night group weren't in to it. Probably should have picked something with broader appeal :shobon:

The only part of the movie I feel conflicted about was the showdown at the pool. That scene provided some of the movie's coolest visuals but also felt the most like a horror movie cliché.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's also the fact that the distinctive clamshell shape is closely associated with birth control packaging.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Glamorama26 posted:

Oh yeah, Robert Loggia died. He's very good in Innocent Blood. Watch that movie.

Dick Laurent is dead :smith:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I finally got around to watching X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes on Amazon Prime. I loved this movie. It's goofy as heck for 90% of the movie, and legitimately distressing and creepy for the other 10%.

Particularly the last scene is amazing and terrifying out of nowhere.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If Kurt Russell has a mustache the movie owns.

If Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache the movie owns but just slightly less.

This is the first law of filmmaking.

Yo Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache in Escape From New York and that's my favorite movie

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ehud posted:

I don't know if this is the place to discuss it or not, because it's more suspense than horror, but Green Room was fantastic. I loved it.

Yeah this movie owned, just got back from it. Very brutal.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Twin Cinema posted:

Saw the new Purge last night. I wasn't a fan of the first one, and I skipped the second, but the trailer for this looked so good that I decided to see this film on opening night.

It was a letdown.

I guess I am just not down with the Purge. I was hoping this would be more open-world Purge, but other than a few scenes of when they drive by Purge killings happening (like one kill, which I think they show in the trailer, where people HAVE SET UP A HUGE GUILLOTINE), it's just a group of people being chased by another group. Also, the best character in the film, the girl who steals the candy, is killed off quickly. I was hoping they'd do more with her.

You would probably like the second one, which is the most insane-feeling of the three in regards to seeing the PURGE happening.

Also they are anthology movies. 2 & 3 share a character but can be watched separately other than that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DC Murderverse posted:

counterpoint: his next movie is a movie about police brutality starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn. i have very low expectations for that one

If you had told me after watching Bone Tomahawk that his next movie was a prison film starring Vince Vaughan I would have had low expectations too, but that turned out awesome.

After those first two movies I'll follow the dude to wherever he goes next.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There weren't really mainstream horror movies that meta at the time, so that was a big part of it.

It also very effectively exposed a whole generation of teenage moviegoers to the Janet Leigh in Psycho twist.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hollismason posted:

I'll never get the whole " Thi movie made me ill " thing. Like what kind of loving weak constitution do you have that a movie makes you ill.

The only time a movie has ever made me feel ill was the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible. And even then, it's not like I felt like I was going to throw up - just deep discomfort and disorientation.

It has someone to do with the way the camera moves around and the sound design. Just makes ya feel gross

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Netflix show is a perfect adaptation of the 80s, satire-free Punisher comics and War Zone is a perfect adaptation of the bonkers, over-the-top satire of the 2000s comics.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Franchescanado posted:

I thought The Lobster was very funny.

I mean it's absurd, it's the blackest of black comedy. the cut of Weisz going into the surgeon's office, then straight to SHE'S BLIND is so grim you can't do anything but laugh

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I showed my wife Re-Animator, she had never seen it, it got me thinking - what are some recent (or recent-ish) horror movies that have ended with a freeze frame?

I feel like a ton of 70s/80s spooky flicks used to end that way.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Christopher Lee was true to his word, he didn't retire.

This is great stuff, thank you for posting.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Halloween Jack posted:

He didn't categorically hate horror, but he hated anything gory, and it would prompt him to get wistful about the cowboy movies of his youth :rolleye:

Ebert gave Reanimator 3 stars on release. He didn't necessarily hate gore. Like all of us, his tastes were complex.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched Basket Case tonight, first time. That ending - Jesus Christ

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will challenge the idea that Bride of Re-animator is as good as Re-animator.

Bride is missing the manic, non-stop escalation of the original - which has a very entertaining momentum that starts with the cat re-animation and never lets up.

Mostly, my main problem with Bride is it has way, way too much poo poo going on. It could have used some of the same editing that caused Hill’s mind manipulation powers to be cut from the first film

Bride is juggling:

- The cop on the trail of Dan and Herbert’s crimes from the first movie
- Dan’s girlfriend he met in Peru
- Dan’s obsession/love for the terminal patient he’s treating
- Dr. Hill returning to get revenge on Herbert West
- Dan and Herbert attempting to create a living being from dead tissue

If two or three of those plots were excised, Bride would be a way better movie. My choice would be the Peru girlfriend and Dr. Hill. As much as I love the Dr. Hill character, he had no reason to return in the sequel. Or if you’re going to have him, cut the cop subplot.

It’s still really entertaining but I’d say it’s a 6/10 to Re-animator’s 9/10.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finally got around to watching Gerald’s Game. I’m sure it’s been discussed to death here, but I don’t know that any other movie has better captured the feel of reading a King novel - warts and all.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just watched From Beyond for the first time. It was good. I wish more non-Rob Zombie directors would put Ken Foree in stuff, dude is a horror icon.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm on a Vincent Price kick, I've watched House on Haunted Hill and The Last Man on Earth in the past two weeks.

Dr. Phibes, Witchfinder General and House of Wax lined up next.

Any recommendations? Preferably lesser-known stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basebf555 posted:

Seconding The Bat, nobody ever seems to talk about that one. Another really good but somewhat obscure one is The Mad Magician.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Bat is surprisingly good. A precursor of some giallo cliches, in fact.

The Monster Club if you like anthologies in the vein of Creepshow.

Thank you - The Bat is available on Prime Video so i'll probably check that out next.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched Nightmare on Elm Street at the drive-in last night, under the stars. It was a good night.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2 last night. Besides the excellent gayness of the film, this movie cracks me up. It’s like the people who made this movie had NOES described to them and just winged it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just thinking about that sequence in Hereditary still makes me feel like there's a stone in my stomach.

I really need to rewatch it and see how it plays on a second viewing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, learning that James Earle Jones has a brother who's also an actor was a big surprise to me as well.

Even better, it's his dad.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think I mention this every time the discussion comes up, but the best jump scare is the rollerskating old lady in House on Haunted Hill.

I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago, I was blown away by how "modern" that jump scare felt for a movie from 1959. I mean that as a high compliment.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It Marvel doesn't bring back Blade with Wesley Snipes they're dumbfucks

Still the greatest Marvel comics movie of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lurdiak posted:

Lords of Salem is basically a mumblecore movie occasionally broken up by stupid music videos, so it's definitely less in your face than some of his other work.

This is the most accurate description of this movie I've ever read.