Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
That Friday the 13th trailer really takes unveiling the entire film in the trailer to a new level. I know it's a slasher movie but that was just ridiculous. And agreeing that it looks identical to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. I'm not for a minute saying I won't see it but it just seems really pointless.

Hellraiser and NOES remakes on the other hand do sound interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Went to see this last night but was sold out. Asked the girl at the counter and she said that every screening of the weekend had been sold out over an hour in advance, including the early Friday/Sunday ones. Probably because it is the only cinema in the city showing in 3D but even still. For a low-brow slasher movie that's not bad going.

Watched Defiance instead and will hopefully catch MBV on Tuesday evening.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I thought the killer was fairly obvious when he clattered against the gate exactly in time with the fight taking place outside the cage. In fact i'm sure there was another example of this as well.

It was the first movie i've seen in 3D though and I really enjoyed. As others have said, its more an experience than a typical movie. I actually wished my audience had been more vocal.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH

The Remote Viewer posted:

When did this happen? I don't remember such a character being in the movie.

The owner of the motel? Whilst the naked chick is hiding under the bed. She gets stuck through the roof via propulsion of pick-axe

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I'm sure i'll be the only person in the world who liked Hellraiser:Bloodlines. I'd have right after the original in terms of enjoyment. The scene with the twin security guards being stapled together gave me nightmares for ages.

I'd probably make H20 my second favourite Halloween as well after the original so go figure.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Saw 'The Purge' last night and it is absolutely awful. Probably beat out GI Joe as the worst film i've seen at the cinema so far in 2013.

Whilst the concept is pretty bizarre, I guess there are some interesting points the movie could have raised. Instead it is played completely straight with one of the most scattered, poorly written scripts of recent memory. As a layman it could still not have been more obvious that this film needed to lose at least 25% of the pre-house invasion build up along with about 50% of the cast. Everyone except the family, the homeless guy and maybe two or three of the yuppies should have been dropped. In a film based on one location it is actually incredible that they managed to make a film that is this fragmented and incoherent.

It's worth noting that it's not really a horror despite being marketed as such. The killers are boring beyond measure and the set-pieces when they eventually do occur are rushed and directed with no tension or suspense whatsoever.

Combine all this with the stupidest movie character decision making skills you will see in a long time.

Strongly advise everyone to give this one a miss. Completely without merit and I was pretty bored for the entire run-time. Does nothing that The Strangers didn't already do at least 10 times better.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Has there been any discussion of "The Corridor" in this thread?

Watched it last night and was pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

It really did a good job of building a weird, tense atmosphere before an admittedly disappointing final 15 minutes or so. The acting was a lot better than would usually be expected in an indie film and whilst the characters are a bit one-note, they really clicked for me thanks to some pretty interesting build-up.

A few scenes in particular were especially effective such as the rock, paper, scissors game, the torture witnessed through the wall and the alpha-male character's final words before blowing his own head off

It's also the first horror movie i've seen in a while where the jump scares were really effective. As said though, its a real shame they didn't accept their limitations at the climax and stick to the disturbing, low profile, ambigious tone in favour of some really crappy CGI.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Finally got round to watching Insidious ahead of going to see Insidious 2 and it was a whole load of fun. Apart from the weird spell where the tone shifted for a short while mid way through it was an altogether solid horror movie. Much better than Sinister which I also enjoyed. Does anyone know which pages of this thread had the most discussion of it as would like to see other's thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
Am I missing the Babadook thread or what because yeah that film was intense and I want to talk about how a horror film with one jump scare got made in 2014.