Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I can't believe I'd ever say this, but the new Friday the 13th looks good in a non-ironic way. I like what seems to be some sort of view from a camera, so Jason's mask pops out at the viewer due to its color, sort of like the scene in The Descent mixed with Halloween.

As I heard one previewer say, it actually seems to have "style" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I still can't get over how bad Prom Night was. To improve the original all they needed to do was up the gore, tighten the pacing, improve the chase sequences, make it less cory, yet they didn't manage to improve a single thing.

At least the original had the corniest slasher chase I've ever seen: Disco Nightmare ahoy.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

Pretty much being reported on every horror site at the moment.
Here is one casting call report.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14791
It's aiming to be released in October I think, or maybe August again, can't remember.
They should re name Michael Myers The White Trash Killer.

Oh my, he's actually calling it "H2." Will they go for a subtitle, like it's forebears, AVP: Requiem and T2: Judgment Day?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I think the funniest thing about Friday 5 was not just the reveal, but the fact that Roy was semi-invincible and could casually walk through sold oak wood doors.

And that he changes size when he puts on a hockey mask, apparently.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

PsychoGoatee posted:

I like that one a lot, although I'm not a big fan of Jason X. Personal preference, but really as far as hilarious parody sequels go, Texas Chainsaw 4 is one of my favorites.

Matthew McConaughey is so amazingly funny in this movie, one of my favorite performances of his. Crossdressing Leatherface, the random government men in black who show up near the end... just pure greatness.

What? I think I'm going to have to rent this.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

One thing I've always wondered about Jason Goes to Hell is, was what was the crate from Creepshow, and the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis doing under that house?

Don't forget the whole family angle they took from Halloween, the demonic dagger from Evil Dead 2 being the method to killing Jason, the Brian DePalma dinner shootout, and the John Woo moves. Basically, the directors/writers said "That looks cool" to a lot of things and threw them, especially since Sam Raimi agreed to loan them the Necronomicon.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

In terms of "who should play Freddy," I just read some fan suggestions and agree that Robert Knepper is a great fit. He has a similar "look" to Englund in his younger days, and looks like a child molester--no make up needed.

Just Google his name, in case you haven't seen The Frighteners.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I just have to say, that trailer for Halloween 2 looks interesting but it borders on self-parody.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Bikinis and subsequent lack of bikinis!

On the other hand, bare breasts and cold nipples.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

wormil posted:

Try the proper sub-forum and thread; and yes.

There are 3 different horror movies with that same name, at least one of which is a slasher, but you're probably right and he posted in the wrong forum.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

There seems to be a remake of The Stepfather coming out this October, if anyone cares. The poster at least is neat.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Youtube has featured a 2 minute "behind the scenes" video on Halloween 2, which has some new footage in it. Looks interesting.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Great news about the sequel to the Friday the 13th Remake: they want to set it in winter, in the snow, and they read a lot of comments about people wanting more creative kills and have told the writers to go wild.

I can't wait to see this--next year, I assume.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

What does everyone think of The Stepfather poster, though: http://www.ioncinema.com/movie/id/4680/the_stepfather

And I'm not sure if taking a serious approach to a movie like this sort of movie is a good idea--the above poster/etc. would suggest a movie that's more self-aware or maybe a very hosed up comedy (I guess you could make a decent satire out of The Stepfather's plot, something that messes with the notion of the traditional nuclear family and suburbia).

And are there any opinions on The Orphan? We were talking about it in the lovely Movies thread.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Frontalot posted:

Having seen the sequels I can say The Stepfather III is one of the greatest films of all time.

And why is this?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Frontalot posted:

The camera. The loving pastel camera.

So it's shot in 1980s KY Jelly Glazed Camera mode? I've actually heard a few horror publications mention #3 before as being very cheesy--is that true?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I'm confused, didn't Dr Loomis die at the end of the first Halloween? He got his eyes gouges out so how is he back with eyes? Or does it all depend on which version you saw?

In the version I saw, I think he was strangled and just sort of tossed aside. In the movie, he was probably meant to be dead but Zombie could definitely work around it.

Edit: Does someone know/have a link to the differences between the cuts? Mine was the "Blockbuster Video Unrated Cut" or something similar, and it was just over 2 hours long compared to the theatrical 1 hour 45 minute version.

Edit 2: Also, I thought the one really clever thing Zombie did was reverse the deaths in the "Carpenter section": instead of Michael coming back to the room in the ghost sheet, we merely think it is and it's actually the boyfriend screwing around with his girl, only for Michael to leap from the shadows of the hallway and kill him. That was the one part that actually made me jump.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 25, 2009

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

RichterIX posted:

The shortest chase scenes in any movie ever.

I don't know, the fat guy in Behind the Mask managed to outrun the killer pretty well for a while.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but they're actually playing promo spots for Orphan on TV. Still looks terrible, though.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I figure they're trying to take a franchise view. Reboots right now are big in that they allow for really profitable sequels. And finding a good time to release it is going to be key. The fall is a little thick with horror stuff so I'd wager they padded this with tons and tons of time so that they can to tests and (if necessary) reshoots and deal with any shooting delays. That way, if all goes well, they're on pace to have the brand new Nightmare pumping out well attended sequels for years and years.

It also sounds like since they're releasing it in April instead of January-March that they might want to give it a bigger push than usual. Most horror films just get dumped out there with a trailer and a shitload of TV spot advertising the week of. And from what I've read, most of the actors have signed a three picture deal for the new series.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Well, Orphan is almost out and Ebert gave it...3 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe it's better than I thought.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

PsychoGoatee posted:

I'm on board for this Nightmare remake, but by aiming higher I'd say it has an easier chance of being worse than the F13 remake.

For one thing, this Nightmare remake is actually a remake of the first Nightmare film. By having the main character be Nancy Thompson again, it draws some comparison to the Halloween remake which did the same thing, and it definitely has large shoes to fill compared to Wes Craven's masterpiece.

The director of this Nightmare remake, Samuel Bayer, is a music video director who hasn't even directed an episode of a TV show. One of the writers has pretty much no credits, the other wrote the Doom movie from 2005.

This Nightmare remake will also probably take itself more seriously than the Friday the 13th one, which means if it fails it'll be even less entertaining.

I'll be seeing this, and I think Rorschach is a great casting choice, but this is definitely not an assured success.

I'm a huge fan, and I put the Friday the 13th remake in the top three in the series. I only rank Friday 4 and Friday 2 above it. It's the classic formula, campers who are entertainingly sad, especially the "dick" character of Trent who I freakin' loved. They get slaughted by Jason, and it's stylish and classic. It didn't aim high, but it did what it set out to do with the formula, and it did it better than the majority of the other sequels I'd say.

And it had a lot of great humor, who didn't love it when the nerd was blasting the 80s classic "Motorin!", Sister Christian by Night Ranger.

Plus it has easily my favorite ending in the series. Jason smashing through the dock is Jason personified. Part IV is my favorite one, but the Corey Feldman ending while hilarious is not as good. Of course, the ending of the first Friday the 13th is awesome as well.

Actually, according to IMDB there's only one writer (other than a credit to Wes Craven) and he's written a TV episode before and nothing else, though he does have like five scripts that are in development as movies. And the director doesn't necessarily need to have experience to make a good film; Steven Spielberg only directed his own little projects and shorts before he landed a job doing Duel, a 70s made for TV movie that made studio execs hire him to do Jaws based on how good it was. The director might not have film experience, but he does have a good visual sense--it's just going to depend on whether he can structure the movie properly, in terms of basics, so it doesn't feel like a series of shots strung together or a car commercial.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

Yeah so far all the reviews I've read on horror sites have stated it's suprisingly good. Is it a slasher though, never thought of it as one which is why I never puts posters or trailers for it here.

I was just mentioning it here since we talked about it a few times and this is sort of a general place for horror talk.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

So, when do we get Supermechgodzilla's analysis/review of the film? I'm honestly really looking forward to that.

I guess I sort of liked it, but I felt it seemed too rushed in what it was doing, like it could have easily filled a 2 hour movie.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I think the real question we'll be asking ourselves is how they'll bring back Loomis for #3, because we know they'll have to.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Here's a link to the new trailer: http://www.fangoria.com/features/ni...omment_id=17054

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think this looks very interesting, and to be honest, it looks scary, something Freddy hasn't been since "New Nightmare" (and even that was a brief stop before heading back to "camp" with Freddy Vs. Jason. No that wasn't supposed to be a Crystal Lake pun)

From what I gathered during readings of Script Reviews and one line in the trailer it looks as if they are trying to make it ambiguous if Freddy was really guilty of the crimes that the parents burned him for. While this is an interesting route, I hope that in the end, he is guilty. I dunno why, but the fact that he did what he did BEFORE he died makes him ten times creepier to me. Apparently in one draft of the script, the kids he kills in the film actually lied to their parents about certain aspects of what Freddy was doing...so...I dunno about all that, but...I enjoyed the hell out of both Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th from the PD guys (let's ignore Hitcher and the TCM preuel), and this looks to be a good addition to their fun adaptations.

I am really digging the new look and voice of Kruger though. Rock on, Jackie!

Edit: I also really hope they keep nothing of the ending of the original film. Holy poo poo...Poor Wes Craven being told to shoe-horn the Freddy crap into that. The Love Doll-through-the-window gag is still kinda hilarious though. the "I take away the power I give you" part of the ending was also pretty weak, but I imagine they ran out of time and ideas by that point. Actually only one of the Freddy films does away with him in an actual well-written manner. Dream Warriors has the best ending of all the films, even New Nightmare, I feel (though New Nightmare comes close)

What are all of the ways Freddy has been killed? I don't if these are right, but I can remember:

1: don't believe in him
2: heterosexuality
3: burial on hallowed ground
4: show him a mirror
5: ?
Freddy's Dead: bring him into the real world and blow him up
New Nightmare: stab him with his own glove
Freddy vs. Jason: bring him into the real world and cut his head off (maybe)

I guess New Nightmare and 3 do work best, though Freddy's Dead/Freddy vs. Jason (bring him into the real world and kill him there) would probably work best though the actual movies' execution kind of blows.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Darko posted:

Eh, what? 2 is hilarious - it's the definition of unintentionally funny. The really giant gay subtext, the weird dancing scenes and bird scenes, it was hilarious. 5 is annoying, overshot, and kind of boring-bad, 6 is also quite irritating to watch. 2 is my favorite to watch now because of how funny it is.

A Nightmare on my Street was a rather popular song (Will Smith's Freddy rap), so it kind of linked the two things.

I just rewatched them with a friend recently, and I agree, Freddy's Revenge is the funniest due to how homoerotic it is (like certain 80s action movies) but I also thought Freddy's Dead was pretty hilarious due to how painfully 90s it was.

If anyone here hasn't seen Freddy's Revenge in a while and doesn't get why people call it homoerotic, I highly recommend renting it and playing spot the gay reference (like our hero Jessie, the guy with a neutral name, a girlish scream, a "girlfriend" he never shows affection to until the final scene when he's "turned back" from Freddy, Tina Turner posters on his wall, a "No girls allowed" sign on his door, a game called Probe, and a very close relationship with his a jock guy he met just days before.)

Obviously it's all in what you like, but Jessie is the worst main character in a slasher film ever. His girlfriend (his cover story) is pretty awful too.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I just watched 5, and It's so bad it's silly. It actually has some good moments, but it pisses them away as soon as it gets them. The opening dream sequence is pretty fantastic until the whole "Freddy Baby" thing happens, then...Holy poo poo, it goes down hill. The ending cracks me up, because it is Textbook "an eight year old visualization of an unborn child vomits a phalic projectile into the stomach of the evil old Pedo, causing the souls of the killed teens to rip the fetus of said evil Pedo out of his body. His mother's spirt traps him in her womb."

Holy poo poo. Who said "Let's make THAT loving MOVIE! YEAH!" Jesus.

Did you notice that the asylum exterior is a giant painting? It's mostly notable because the first shot of it is a good 5-10 seconds long in which we see a huge plume of smoke rising from it and it never, ever moves the entire time the shot lasts.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 28, 2009

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

I don't know which is worse: that, or "Gabriel. I knew he'd send you. You were always so eager to please."

Oh, and let's not forget the not-at-all-cliched exchange:
"I don't even believe in God."
"I doubt that he believes in you either."

:rolleyes:

There isn't a single thing about that movie that doesn't look awful.

I'll see it if it's as retarded as the trailer.

Did anyone see the Daybreakers trailer? I thought that looked interesting, and Sam Neil as a vampire plus goateed William Dafoe as a vampire hunter make it at least worth renting.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

The more I think of it, I think I would have really liked Halloween 2 if the ending had been better. These movies really do need some sort of "payoff" stalking or chase scene, and I just didn't think it matched its own opening.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

indigenous nudity posted:

It looks like the Fright Night remake is still on:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43039

The original is still one of my favorite vampire movies, but I can understand the interest in bringing the basic plot to a newer audience. The only way this is going to be decent, though, is if they nail the casting of the new Peter Vincent.

I'm thinking Christopher Lee or Robert Englund. In any case, it should be some sort of real life horror icon.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It saves everybody else, sure, but everyone in the camp is dead. I guess you can kind of count that as a "win" for rationalism, but honestly I see it more as a combination of luck (that the Thing landed in Antarctica, for instance) and a symbolic microcosm.

It's like the end of Lord of the Flies, sure the day is saved and things will be okay from that point on, but a miniature version of our society totally just imploded into murder and self-destruction when faced with a certain kind of problem.

Not to mention the implications of ending a film about microcosmic society with a black man and a white man glaring warily at each other.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

foodfight posted:

I watched Pumpkinhead, Chopping Mall and the first hour of Prom Night over the weekend. None were as good as I wanted them to be although they are a bit better than average. Not sure whats up with Prom Night. I shut it off after the first kill which happens after 1 hour.

Oh poo poo son you missed the DISCO THROWDOWN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZgN_1dnj8A&t=10m40s

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"What matters is that a madman with an edged weapon is somewhere just out of sight, and it can be a school, a house, a summer camp, a shopping mall, a military base - doesn't matter."

I don't find this disagreeable, in Chopping Mall, or Intruder, or Halloween 2, or whatever, you get "themed" kills that use the environment in some unique way but aside from that, they could take place anywhere. Intruder is not about working a poo poo stock job overnight in a supermarket, not really, anyway, it's just a fun setting for a slasher. Sleepaway Camp is about summer camp, Friday the 13th Part 5 could be anywhere that has bored young adults hanging out.

I would add to that list Black Christmas, which does a great job of conveying the misery of Christmas; in fact, it does the opposite of what most slashers would do and features few (if any? I can't recall) "Christmas kills." (From my memory, I remember one with plastic wrap, one with a knife, one that might just be the killer strangling someone, and the only "Christmas" one I might recall is him uses lights to strangle someone - but I might be confusing it with Silent Night, Deadly Night.)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The kid in the wheelchair getting macheted in the face and then pushed down the stairs in part two is the first that comes to mind. Also the two kids killed after having sex in the shower + Crispin Glover's death in part four. Also just that it's known as being the most mercenary and "sex/fun = death" enforcing of all the slasher franchises. And that the origin of the series is the drowning death of a retarded child.

I'm not saying they aren't fun; they're a blast! But it's definitely a fun that's reliant on a fairly mean-spirited sense of humor.

I definitely agree with this, and it's a moment that's pretty severely out of place. Also, the kid that gets creamed by the car is Ben Tramer, the boy Laurie talks about having a crush on in the first Halloween, so it's mean spirited x2.

As people have mentioned, Friday the 13th is basically "Black Humor: The Series." What's so interesting about it is that outside of Jason X and some of Jason Lives, it's often 100% serious while maintaining an offbeat/counter-culture sort of tone (the first movie is literally Porky's with a serial killer...check out the "wacky" motorcyle cop, the horny teens, etc.; meanwhile, Jason Takes Manhattan's poster originally featured Jason slicing through an "I Love New York" sheet...or the boxing scene in the movie.) For instance, I love that your example of the wheelchair kid dying is portrayed as an audience joke (a really nasty one, hence black humor; the film seems to be saying "Bet you didn't expect us to off a disabled kid, did you?" and I think they even have his character use his crippled nature to try and get sympathy sex, right?)

Re: Halloween 2 (1981), not only is Ben Tramer's death to an exploding van hosed up, but there's the kid who gets booked into the hospital with a grotesquely bleeding mouth (complete with lingering shots on it.) John Carpenter has explained that he was very angry at being forced to write the sequel, and possibly drunk most of the time. He was ordered by the studio to come up with a twist, so he spent much of the time writing downing six packs while hoping to get ideas.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

penismightier posted:

From the same year alone, Terminator and Gremlins.

Where's everyone stand on Scream? I go back and forth on that one.

Scream is much more "genuine" than anyone gives it credit for; the tone that people think of when they think Scream really starts in Scream 2's smug opening scene. It's also probably Craven's best directing, the stand outs being the opening (re-watching it last year, it's really much more brutal and sad than I recall it being - Barrymore's death is actually played for its humanity, not just a shock) and the amazing final chase.

It also has some chilling uses of foreshadowing:
a) when Randy talks to Stu and Sidney's boyfriend in the video store, two friends loving with their third friend turns into two killers subtly threatening Randy. No doubt if they had been alone, Randy would be dead. In fact, he's the first person the killers go for at the party.

b) The killers don't try to kill Sidney until she comes close to losing her virginity. At the end of the film, as soon as she submits to Billy wanting to have sex, Stu pops out, like a real slasher villain, for the final chase.

After the first Scream, the franchise goes down like a plane without wings. A lot of 2 feels like it's shot similar to a WB TV movie, excepting the sound booth and car crawl scene, and the whole conclusion being on a Greek stage is "Are you serious?" levels of symbolism whoring. Scream 3 is basically a cash grab, and pretty much the only scene that kind of works is when Sidney is chased through a studio lot version of her house, for how surreal it is. Scream 4 is garbage, and insanely satisfied with itself.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 5, 2013

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I think I know what happened to the Scream series: in interviews for 4, Craven and Williamson talk about the "target of the parodies" but Scream 1 simply wasn't a parody. Its characters were aware of films, yes, but it's no more a parody than Tarantino's films are just because his characters are aware of pop culture. By re-focusing the sequels into films with "parodies" of sequels and trilogies and such they become so self-aware that it's harder to take the horror seriously and harder to relate to the characters because there's this meta-wall around them.

For Scream 4, they needed to commit. Don't call it Scream 4, call it "Scream." Have the original cast, but only as minor roles or cameos to hand it off to the next generation; besides it getting a bit ridiculous that these people are magnets for copycat killers, it's draining the tension since they keep living and the other option, killing them off, is honestly too crude at this point since they've survived so many films and people are attached to them. Let Sidney, etc., move on.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Nice. This is also funnier once I realized this was his official ballot.

I think it's one of those things where it's implied that they are his favourites. It's his guilty pleasures in the sense that they are not the films that the typical S&S voters would be voting for, but they are also films he really likes. He says, "This is what I really enjoy – no compromises for high quality or good taste," which seems to indicate as much.

...but this all feels so pedantic. Dude really likes Hitman, and will likely spit-talk you to death about it.

The point that Zizek's inclusion of Hitman makes: what are any other critic's choices but guilty pleasures and "personal favorites"? This is why the AFI continually picks the same movies every year. Personal favorites.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

priznat posted:

Is there going to be a sequel to Insidious? Preferably with the dude rampaging while possessed by the scary old lady while the paranormal investigator nerds seek him/her out for VENGEANCE!

And they call in THE ROCK to consult.

Insidious: Chapter 2 is supposed to come out in August/September.

Edit: And Wan has some film about a ghost-witch called The Conjuring that's supposed to be very good: it's getting insanely high scores from preview audiences (90s-100s, where most films get 70s or lower) and studios want to position it in June opposite blockbusters.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Twee as gently caress posted:

Two of the biggest complaints for Insidious? The dreaded Gas Mask, and the look of the villain. Half of the ghosts were incredible (old lady, window-pacing and dancing oliver twist come to mind), the other half were atrocious (I mean, Darth Maul as your villain?) and it nearly stopped the film from becoming a series. In fact, if the people behind it were not behind it, I doubt it'd be getting a sequel.

The same thing could actually be said about Promotheus. Lack of decent design, and only getting a sequel because of those involved.

Red lip stick smeared all over your face to lure in children = Darth Maul.

Making $50+ million on a $1 million budget = Producer: Nah, no sequel, DID YOU SEE THAT GHOST DESIGN? Oh what, the Saw guy did it? Ok, greenlight it as a favor I guess but tell him to watch his designs in Horro Movie 101 we teach about how to do these things right.

-Twee as gently caress