Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Pretty excited to see both of these as long as they stick with hard R ratings, it's bad enough we don't have the fully uncut original My Bloody Valentine or Friday the 13th.

Wonder if they'll follow these with remakes of more 80's Slashers like The Prowler and The Burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

I'd prefer it if they remade no so good ones like Sweet 16 or Graduation Day.

As long as they do better than the awful Prom Night remake which somehow managed to be worse than the original.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

EDIT: It's Laid To Rest. I'm an idiot. Was it good?

It's a "Check your brain at the door" kind of Slasher, I happened to love it but a lot of people hate it.

Some fantastic gore effects though and the cast is decent enough except the lead chick who's pretty loving terrible.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

Is it a straight-up slasher or should I expect a bunch of HOLY poo poo TWIST moments?

Straight-up Slasher, no real HOLY poo poo TWISTS in it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

It's looking like Halloween 2 and Final Destination 4 are oping on the same day, just wondering which one you guys will be seeings. I'd vote FD4, love the first 3, the trailer is cool and it's 3-D, shame the title sucks (The Final Destination?!?!?).
I hated the first Halloween remake, the trailer for part 2 is terrible, just saw a TV spot that looked like it had deleted scenes from House Of 1000 Corpses in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9d16y3atA
I'll end up seeing both but Final Destination 4 is my top piority at the moment.

Halloween 2 for me, I might see The Final Destination (I hate the "The" added to it) but after the third, I'm kind of hesitant about bothering.

And I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Rob Zombie's remake, it's not perfect at all and I wish he'd ditch the constant White Trash stuff he seems to love but it's got some brutal scenes, the casting is great as usual and his soundtrack was fantastic (except the use of Love Hurts which was just stupid).

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Pet Rock Band posted:

Have you guys heard of A Perfect Getaway?

It looks like a fun tropical island murder-fest from the trailers. And the cast is pretty impressive for what is probably a trashy movie- Milla Jovovich, Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant. Well, maybe not impressive, but I'm a fan of all those folks. And the writer/director isn't.... completely terrible.

Kind of interested in seeing this

I like David Twohy, three of his films (The Arrival, Pitch Black and Below) are solid flicks and, for the most part, underrated (especially Below).

Cast is good, too, and hey, rated R!

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Awesome Andy posted:

Henry Rollins made that movie watchable, if that is the movie I'm thinking of.

It is, he was also great in Feast.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I liked A New Beginning almost entirely because every character in the movie was just asking to be killed, now Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood sucked.

Also not a big fan of the third one either.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Local Group Bus posted:

Has anybody seen the Stepfather remake? We were talking about remakes last night and it came up in conversation and I can't remember if I saw the remake or not. If I did it doesn't speak well of it, but if I didn't can someone tell me if the tension O'Quinn bought to the original is still there and if it's worth a watch?

The original scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. Adults out of control of their emotions scared me shitless and it would be interesting to see if that fear is still there now that I am an adult myself.

If the remake sucked I could always just re-watch the original.

It sucked. Dylan Walsh is alright but he ain't no Terry O'Quinn and it lacked Jill Schoelen which hurt it more than anything else.

And I'm usually pretty positive when it comes to all these Horror remakes, this one just didn't do much for me but it's not as bad as poo poo like Prom Night.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

the_psychologist posted:

So you would watch Salo, but not Centipede? Or have you not seen Salo either?

If you like harder horror, just watch Centipede. It's a lot more than scat munching.

And nowhere near as boring as Salo is.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Whispering Machines posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror in Netflix's instant viewing? I've already seen a bunch of them, ie. Grace, Thirst, A Tale of Two Sisters, Orphanage, etc.

House of 1000 Corpses
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Fido
Fright Night
Quarantine
The Girl Next Door
Candyman
Triangle
Ghost Ship
The Evil Dead
Jason Goes to Hell
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Eight Legged Freaks
Return of the Living Dead 2
Wilderness
Warlock
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Christine
Phantasm
Altered
Cat's Eye
The Signal
Masters of Horror: Jenifer
Masters of Horror: Cigarette Burns
Satan's Little Helper
Scanners
Hatchet
Puppet Master
Severance
Masters of Horror: Imprint
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Masters of Horror: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
Dead and Breakfast
Black Christmas
Masters of Horror: Pick Me Up
Masters of Horror: Family
It Waits
Innocent Blood

And this is just from the first five pages of stuff I've seen.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is worth seeing for Dennis Hopper chainsaw-dueling. Return of the Living Dead 2, however, is completely irredeemable.

The best thing on Wilhelm Scream's list is Cigarette Burns.

And Caroline Williams' legs.

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is a movie I loved as a kid and still do, I ain't ashamed!

Ape Agitator posted:

Why? It's a nearly shot for shot remake and is competently directed and acted. And Rec was solid. It's a fine watch if you don't have access to the original.

Exactly

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

gently caress, Valentine was drat awful.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

Says the man who likes Murder-Set-Pieces.

Wrong guy, I hated that movie

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

Also, I don't want creature features to become a trend since I don't find things like The Host scary, but it would be cool if Lovecraftian abominations and gateways to other worlds were the next big thing in horror.

Especially if it means more work for Stuart Gordon and John Carpenter, two directors who can pull off a Lovecraftian movie, I think

Wasn't Guillermo Del Toro supposed to be doing a Lovecraft movie? I imagine that's on hold until after The Hobbit anyway.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, I liked Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, too.

I don't know, I just got a huge soft spot for that entire franchise, even The Next Generation which gave us an incredibly over-the-top batshit insane Matthew McConaughey.

And I don't care what anyone says, to me Rob Zombie is a perfect 5 for 5 in his directing career.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Plus it's directed by Alexandre Aja who has a pretty good track record so far, I even kinda liked Mirrors.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And when it's done well, it's loving fantastic (Comedy and Horror together I mean).

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Feast 2 and Feast 3 basically take the little gross-out Comedy bits from the first and up them by 100000x. I enjoyed both but I can see why some people would be turned off by them.

And the final scene in the third is just completely loving out of nowhere, I loved it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Except no Kari Wuhrer pulling up her dress.

That is one negative towards Drag Me to Hell.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

SyRauk posted:

What with Lohman having random poo poo forced into her mouth throughout the whole movie.

Gotta love Sam's continuing obsession with torturing the everloving poo poo out of his actors.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I didn't know whether to post this here or the "who greenlighted this poo poo" thread, but the Hellraiser remake will be PG-13.

I don't even know HOW you do this. It's almost worth seeing them try (emphasis on almost.)

I'm guessing Clive Barker has nothing to do with this because I can't ever see him letting this happen.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'll say this about Entity, it's the best Asylum flick I've seen so far.

But that's really not saying much and no way is it better than Activity.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

If anyone's looking for something to watch on Instant, check out Doghouse. It's basically a Shaun of the Dead ripoff but it's still pretty loving entertaining.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, no idea who Dyer was either and while I'm with you guys on it being pretty misogynistic, I'm still a sucker for well-made zombie movies and this at least had a budget behind it. I've seen so many low-budget lovely zombie movies that anything that looks somewhat professional makes me like it quite a bit.

And I liked the director's last movie, too, Evil Aliens. Razor Blade Smile, on the other hand, was a piece of poo poo.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

Does anyone know what the hell these 1313 movies are about? I stumbled across them and looking at the trailers it seems like they all star the same cast, they where all shot in the same location and all seem to involve young boys running around half naked.
They all have titles like 1313: Giant Killer Bees, 1313: Haunted Frat, 1313: Wicked Stepbrother but they trailers look cheap and terrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9wy9G08R4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdS4h_ruEE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoL_sLLh5G8&feature=related

The second I read "young boys running around half naked" I immediately thought David DeCoteau was behind these and yep, he is.

The man loves his half naked young men and most of his movies are terrible although I got a soft spot for Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

(Its on netflix instant)

Word, bitch, Phantoms like a motherfucker.

And it ain't bad at all, especially compared to the other Dean Koontz film adaptations.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Technetium posted:

Creepshow is one of the best horror anthologies and if you haven't seen it you should feel bad.

Creepshow 2 is a pretty good horror anthology and if you've seen it you should feel bad.

Creepshow 3 is an amazing horror anthology because of how loving stupid it is and you should feel bad.

Fixed that for ya

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Indian segment is just fine, The Raft and The Hitcher segments are a lot better. All three are far better than The Father's Day and Something to Tide You Over segments from the first one.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Are any of the "Masters of Horror" one hour pieces on Netflix any good? I just saw "Pick Me Up" which I quite enjoyed, largely because I really like Michael Moriarty and liked watching him ham it up. Can any one recommend any of the others, or tell which to stay away from?

Most range from okay to great, the ones I'd recommend staying far away from are Tobe Hooper's Dance of the Dead and Mick Garrison's Chocolate and Valerie on the Stairs. None of the rest come close to being as bad as those three.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Michael Moriarty pretty much elevates anything he's in, the man should be getting way more work than he does.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Ya'll are crazy, Prince of Darkness is great.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

My mom didn't give a poo poo what we watched, probably why I remember seeing such gems as Slugs and Rabid Grannies.

The only two movies I ever had problems with were Child's Play which I saw when I was like 5 and The General segment from Cat's Eye.

Edit: Oh and that whole part of Pet Sematary with Zelda.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Carpenter didn't fall off, some day people will realize how awesome Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and Escape from LA truly are. At least I still have Ebert agreeing with me.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'd love to see a well done film about Manitous.

Well, there's always The Manitou unless you are really dedicated to the well done part of your statement.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

foodfight posted:

Might be the best William Girdler film. I am partial to Grizzly though.

It's a toss-up between Grizzly and Day of the Animals for me, might give the advantage to Day due to it having Leslie Neilsen being a huge psychotic rear end in a top hat.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Whargoul posted:

I have always liked the original, but I am a sucker for '70's horror movies.

On that note, I always thought of Mario Bava's Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971) as the first real slasher.

It's certainly the first one to rely on gore, I know Friday the 13th directly lifted kill scenes from it (or one of the F13 movies did anyway).

But yeah, Black Christmas rules.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Whargoul posted:

I know people have very strong opinion on his films, but does anyone know anything about Rob Zombie's new film "Lords of Salem"? I heard he is playing the trailer during his current tour with Megadeth. I will be working press for the show when it stops in Pittsburgh on Wednesday, but I will be running around getting photos for the first three songs and I might miss it. I heard it is about the Salem witch trials, but other than that I have heard nothing.

From what I remember reading, something about some witches and stuff returning after a couple hundred years to take out their revenge on people...or something.

The cast is loving massive, I remember there was a good week or two of 4-5 people being added each day.

Also the song Lords of Salem is awesome.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a Creepshow 3? What the hell?

Just pretend you never saw or heard about it, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I just watched McKee's The Woman and hoo boy was it unsubtle. I was actually considering using it in an intro class on horror and gender, up until the last 20 minutes went beyond anything I'd be comfortable showing to freshmen. That said I did like it, even though I think it went a bit off the rails.

When the credits rolled and I saw Jack Ketchum had a hand in the script I had a big "Oh that makes sense" moment.

Considering it's a sequel to a movie based on one of his books, shouldn't be much of a surprise.