Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finally had time to sit down and watch Wishmaster. My god Andrew Divoff can chew some scenery. Right at this moment I'm about to start watching Event Horizon, which is something I should have done years ago. I'll report back with my findings later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So Event Horizon was loving terrifying. Why didn't I know Dead Space had its own movie? Also I can't find a place to watch Wishmaster 2 and I won't be buying it just for more Divoff goodness.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I caved and subscribed to Shudder as an add-on to Amazon Prime video. Wife and I settled in and did a triple feature of Stitches (funny but she said the kills made her queasy), Murder Party (picked it on a whim, absolutely loved it), and the original Hills Have Eyes (wife only knew the remake existed. Its a favorite of mine). So tell me horror goons, what are your favorites on the service? I'll watch them and hopefully enjoy them seeing as how I've got a week of vacation coming up.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ok so recommendations for Italian horror. I've seen Suspiria and bits and pieces of many others. What's a good jumping off point? Most of my horror intake is stuff like F13 and NoES with a smattering of whatever looks good. How surreal is Italian horror? I may be remembering wrong but suspiria seemed like a lot of pretty visuals but was incoherent as gently caress.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

OK so after all the suggestions I've gotten I've settled on a triple feature dive into Italian horror with Deep Red, Bay of Blood, and Cat O' Nine Tails on Tuesday. I'll report back with my findings.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I was going to show my wife the original Day of the Dead the other day but she went to sleep so I ended up re-watching it by myself. I then realized I'd never watched the original Dawn of The Dead so I watched it and it is just an amazing loving movie. Fairly light on the gore (compared to stuff nowadays) and just more focused on the survival of the protagonists than showcasing the zombies.

Can anyone recommend to me anything else like it? Kind of slow burn, character driven horror? If you'd call it that I guess. I don't know. I was just completely blown away by it and ashamed I'd not watched it sooner.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Really getting on a late 70s, early 80s horror kick lately since watching Day of the Dead. Currently watching Witchboard (1987).

So far I've watched Rawhead Rex, Dead and Buried, Dawn of The Dead, City of The Living Dead, etc.. Any suggestions along those lines? Seems like I'm gonna be definitely doing 70s and 80s horror for my October film a day and need to start compiling a list of stuff I've not seen, so obscure stuff is welcome.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Not to detract from King chat but I just watched Shadow of The Vampire on Shudder and holy poo poo how did I not know about it? Willem Dafoe was nominated for an Oscar for his weird as gently caress portrayal of Max Shreck for chrissakes. Either way just wanted to shower adoration on the film.

Currently watching Screamers with my wife because I remember it being a Sci-Fi channel staple back in the day. So far its...underwhelming.

Edit: also King chat related Cat's Eye is the best followed by Creepshow followed by Creepshow 2.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I have never seen it. It was interesting that they gender flipped the drawn and quartered. I still really don't care for it other than Sean Bean being great.

Oh and as a reminder: The writer of the original Hitcher probably purposely committed vehicular manslaughter.

There is a great episode of the podcast The Dollop about Eric Red, writer of The Hitcher, who probably purposefully committed vehicular manslaughter. He also wrote Near Dark and tried to recreate a scene from that movie by slashing his own neck with broken glass after probably purposefully committing vehicular manslaughter. Give it a listen it's great.

Edit: Unrelated but definitely check out Asylum on Shudder. It's a fantastic British anthology film with some prime Peter Cushing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

ravenkult posted:

Can someone recommend some cabin in the woods-type horror movies I probably haven't seen? Dig deep. Also wilderness horror movies are acceptable.

If you're after something Cabin In The Woods-esque subversion/deconstruction of horror you could do worse than Detention . Which is streaming on Shudder right now.

Edit: Yes to Hollismason. Everyone should watch Shadow of the Vampire.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 19, 2016

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Tonight's films were Man-Thing and The Faculty. About 15 minutes or so into man thing I realized I was just watching Swamp Thing and wondered how they got away with it. I checked Wikipedia and I guess Man-Thing is a Marvel property made in the pre-Iron Man days. Terrible piece of poo poo though I will give it points for trying to play a comic book property as straight horror.

The Faculty was great. My wife has been bothering me to watch it forever and I was not disappointed. Perfect time waster.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

If you liked Green Room you should check out Jeremy Saulnier's other 2 movies; Murder Party and Blue Ruin . I loving love all of his movies and can't wait to see what he does next.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hell Baby is great only for the roughly 4 minute long po'boy scene. It actually encouraged me to make po' boys and they were delicious.

Edit: Ghostwatch is also on Shudder now and you should watch it and then read about the outrage it caused.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I sat down and watched Ghostwatch as soon as I saw it was on Shudder. Even with its age it's still an effective set-up and is genuinely spooky at parts. Ive said it before but you really must watch Ghostwatch.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ok so I just watched Kill List. Can someone explain to me what the gently caress just happened? I feel like I'm missing something.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

married but discreet posted:

Beyond the Gates really is nothing. Oh well

Yeah I was really expecting more from the premise but it's a huge letdown.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm currently watching The Void and honestly just what the gently caress? This is tripping me out like crazy. Very good so far.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Agreed on both points. I just finished it and can appreciate a movie that doesn't end on a loving huge downer. the dude tackled the bad guy into the void and sacrificed himself to make all right in the world. I also really liked the practical effects. It was almost like a love letter to 80s sci-fi and creature features.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just finished XX. Avoid at all costs. It is a trash fire of an anthology. Out of 4 stories only 1 was half decent. The anthology format can be done well but not in this case. Its essentially 4 of those low budget YouTube short horror films.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I want to suggest The Void some more because it is probably the best horror movie I've seen in the last few months. This is mostly due to me watching terrible B-movies on Netflix. So far I've watched XX, The Windmill, Hellions, Beyond the Gates, Man Vs., The Axe Murders of Villisca, Exeter, and so many more. So if anyone wants details on anything horror on Netflix I've probably seen it. I don't know why I do this to myself because I have Amazon prime and Shudder.

Unrelated, what is that horror movie, I think Japanese, that is like a TV show but there's haunted poo poo in the background or something? A friend was explaining it to me and it sounded interesting.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Nah I've seen Ghostwatch. Love Ghostwatch. He explained it to me that it was like someone channel flipping but in every commercial and variety show there was like subtle supernatural or disturbing stuff going on.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Guess I'm gonna watch Noroi then.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

WNUF Halloween Special I've seen and found it underwhelming outside of the nostalgia factor. Gonna see if it's Noroi and eventually report back my findings.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'll take you up on that offer! Have you found any diamonds in the rough? Movies you might overlook because the box art is so terrible? They don't even have to be great, as long as they have an interesting idea, and bonus points if they're Canadian.

Man Vs. I believe is Canadian or at least takes place in the Canadian wilderness. The special effects (very few) are Syfy level cheesy but if you can look past that it's a neat movie. Go in blind like I did and you should have a good time.

Exeter was an interesting movie that starts like a comedy and kind of keeps that comedic bent throughout even though it deals with some real weird poo poo. It kind of falls off at the end but worth a watch.

Hellions is Canadian but I wouldn't even begin to get into it unless your eyes are willing to suffer through a weird purple filter that covers like 3/4ths of the movie. The plot is dumb and not in a fun way. Robert Patrick is in it but I'm not so in need of Robert Patrick that this movie becomes necessary viewing by any means.

The Windmill is good for a quick slasher with a kind of interesting premise. The gore is pretty great and it moves along at a good clip. I might be biased though because I love most slashers no matter how bad.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

K. Waste posted:

My two cents: Exeter and XX are both way better than The Void.

What did you like about XX? I'm really curious because I found nothing interesting or good going on in that movie. I want your perspective on it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just an update; Noroi was very good. Now settling in for Hell House LLC.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It was not what was explained to me by my friend. His description was more of an entire movie of commercials and bits of variety shows that had unusual or supernatural things in the background or foreground that aren't commented on by the people in the shows or commercials. I texted him about it and he said he watched it at a work friends house on VHS. I don't know if he's loving with me or what but I wanna track down what it is.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

He said it was like an hour and a half of someone channel flipping and there were supernatural goings on and occasionally like a presenter would be like cutting into his own arm to show off a knife set and it was all played straight like no one reacted to the weirdness. He said it just kind of ended with no credits.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm gonna have him bother his coworker to try and get the name of the movie. In other news Hell House LLC was really very good for a random Amazon Prime find. Currently checking out Hollows Grove and am barely there for it. It's like low budget Grave Encounters.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If he doesn't remember the title of the film, tell him I'm going to beat his rear end.

I texted him again earlier and explained that I really need him to remember the name of the movie. He said it was just Japanese. Then he told me his coworker quit. At this point I'm either in a reboot of the Ring or he's loving with me.

In other news my dive into Netflix's horror offerings continues and can say that Last Shift is very good, The Hallow is very good, The Good Neighbor is good but not quite horror, Clown is good, Let's Be Evil was bad, and Stake Land was good.

Suggest me more horror goons. No italian stuff. Can't get into it. I know thats like sacrilege in this thread but I'm sorry.

Edit: Also big ups to K. Waste for his reasoning for liking XX. I can appreciate all the words you used and the order you put them in. That's an interesting and valid way to look at the film and I may re-watch with your analysis in mind.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 11, 2017

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I've always suspected it had to be something like that, because her expression is so inhumanely still. It's not just the expression itself that gets me, it's how there's none of the typical little human tics and movements the eye is used to seeing.

I think thats because it's a very realistic mask that they put on a male actor if I'm remembering right.

Also yeah it was Bravo's 100 scariest movie moments where the actress who played Angela explained that she didn't know the twist ending until she saw the film in theaters.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

What was the verdict on Beyond the Gates. Also I watched Terribly Happy on Shudder today it's a pretty decent crime/horror from Denmark it's more crime than horror.

Beyond The Gates is a really cool and good idea executed poorly. I don't feel like it's a terrible movie and I understand the limitations of their budget but it could've been handled so much better. The acting is very stilted and almost drama class-esque and the action and scares are super ineffective. It's a Sunday afternoon nothing going on might as well check it out kind of movie. Not a must watch by any means.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I just finished Savageland and managed to make my wife believe it was an actual documentary.

So next up I need found footage recommendations. I think I've seen everything FF of note but I'd be happy to be surprised. I have Amazon Prime, Shudder, and Netflix.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The flavor of the month for Found Footage is Hell House LLC. I have not seen it but people seem to be pretty into it. It's on Amazon Prime.

Oh yeah I've seen Hell House LLC and it is very good. I settled on Creep and while I wouldn't call it a horror movie outright, it was a very interesting character piece. I was checking around online and I guess a sequel is coming out this year.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I've been rolling Creep around in my head since I watched it last night and as I examine it, it becomes scarier and more off putting. When I was watching it I enjoyed it and kinda laughed when the protagonist gets smashed in the head with an axe. Now I just don't know. It seems like a movie with a lot of levels and I may have to rewatch it soon.

Also still looking out for good found footage but the well is running dry and I may have to start watching amateur YouTube found footage movies.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

*sighs and leans back in recliner* Yep...I been there...

Tell me your secrets. Where do I go from here on the path to found footage enlightenment? All I have to look forward to is Boots On The Ground in like 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Found footage is like the best and worst sub genre of horror. I think I've finally accomplished seeing them all. I really need to go through my list and count just how many found footage movies I've seen.

Edit: I don't know if any of you have seen The Houses October Built but it's got a sequel coming later this year and somehow it picks up after the events of the first movie (with all the protagonists somehow alive after being presumably killed) as they try and move past the trauma of the first movie's events by trying to find more extreme haunted houses. I'll probably watch it.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 1, 2017

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

What's the threads opinion on The Dark Tapes? I was thinking of renting it through Amazon but don't wanna waste the money if it's outright awful.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ok so definitely not spending money on The Dark Tapes. I settled on They're Watching and so far I am unimpressed. I am probably gonna finish it and maybe it'll get good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

They're Watching did pump it up at the end but the effects were so laughably bad that I couldn't get into it.

I just started The Den and hopefully it provides something a bit more interesting.