Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Just got back from insidious. Right as the music cuts out and everyone goes silent, some dude lets out a pretty big fart which caused everyone laugh pretty hard over one of the earlier scares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Just watched The Interior (2015) and haven't seen much talk about it online, anyone else seen it?. The first 25 minutes or so are kind of cringey and tedious as it establishes the lead's lovely middle-class life and his rap career. Once he ditches everything and goes camping though, it gets great. The film is like distilled anxiety. I'd compare it's atmosphere to The Invitation. That's the only other time I've felt so anxious watching a film. The scares in The Interior are genuinely one of the most haunting things I've seen in a horror movie. The end is kind of abrupt and the story doesn't hint at or explain at anything, but it doesn't really matter because the rest is so great.

Hearing the tent zipper and seeing the man's contorted face still haunts me. Everytime the sun would start to set I'd feel just as anxious as the lead, knowing it was going to happen again.

SMP
May 5, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I quite enjoyed it, especially the gorgeous shots of the BC forest. The first act is a bit silly but it works as an absurdist comedy (especially his boss's reaction to the doughnut). But yeah, it's just rising tension, atmosphere, and anxiety throughout. Though I think the ending makes perfect sense, and there's more of a story than first appears if you've been paying attention, because it has a lot of visual cues.

It's a cautionary tale. He has the cliche survivalist fantasy of ditching city comforts (including telling off his boss) and roughing it off the grid, when the reality is not practical at all. He was woefully underprepared and couldn't take care of himself, to the point where he had to break into a cabin for supplies. He then encounters someone much further gone than he is, who steals from him too because he was also extremely unprepared (and hypothermic and desperate by that point). Both end up just like everyone else who tries to go out there with no idea what it takes to really survive. You see bodies of other people who failed, and they're dressed fairly casually. He was probably never more than like 10 miles from civilization, but still sucked at being a survivalist like anyone who isn't Bear Grylls.

I was so taken by the red jacket guy I completely forgot he found other bodies out there, haha. I didn't actually consider that they were real people who were also similarly unprepared. I had imagined them to be apparitions or something else "not real" like his dream of being chased by the mob.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

I did the "List your favorite movies from every year since you were born" except with horror films only because I am too lazy to watch other things.

https://mobile.twitter.com/unrealized_tomb/status/842971175278039040

House of the Devil :hf: That one took my 09 spot even without doing horror-only.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I watched both The Devil's Candy and The Blackcoat's Daughter recently and both are indeed dope. The Devil's Candy probably had the most charismatic family I've ever seen in a horror film, the dad and his daughter were great together and seeing that kind of positive relationship in film feels weirdly rare these days. (Devil's Candy spoiler) I was genuinely sad when the mom and dad got shot, I thought that was it for them. I dig that the Devil's Candy had a relatively happy ending.

The Blackcoat's Daughter was a great attempt at recapturing the feeling of The Witch. I love those slow burn, sleepy, New England-y horror movies and also Satan.

e: I want to check out The Eyes of my Mother given all it's hype, but how gory is it? I dig gore when it's excessive or fantastic, but anytime things feel clinical / medical or realistic I have to look away. I have no idea what the film is about but I don't really need to see someone's eyes getting surgically removed or something.

Same question goes for Raw.

SMP fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 3, 2017

SMP
May 5, 2009

married but discreet posted:

You're not gonna like it then.

:smith: I might try anyway. I'd be remiss to skip out on what appears to be one of the best horrors in recent years.

SMP
May 5, 2009

married but discreet posted:

gently caress I'm an idiot, I thought you mean Goodnight Mommy. I haven't actually seen Eyes of My Mother. Insomnia strikes again.

Goodnight Mommy was also on my radar, so that's good to know anyway.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I haven't seen Bone Tomahawk yet but no film can be a successor to Ravenous without a similar soundtrack :colbert:

SMP
May 5, 2009

The Void was pretty mediocre and carried entirely by it's monsters. The first third or so is nicely paced but then falls off a cliff. Hilariously the two survivors made it to the end purely because they're so useless and peripheral that they didn't even have enough purpose to die. You could remove those two characters entirely and get the same film.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Baskin was dope, but I feel bad laughing at the villain's awesome baby face mask, only to find out that's his real face. :(

SMP
May 5, 2009

smallmouth posted:

Dude was ripped, particularly for his age, though.

He was fantastic and had such a great voice and presence, I'm glad he's found success.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hell House LLC is for sure pretty good, but is way overhyped by the internet. It's not a particularly innovative or unique found footage, it just does the genre really really well. I enjoyed it a lot but don't go in expecting something new.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I wasn't into horror movies at all until I was like 18 and went into an Insidious showing blind, because nothing else interesting was playing. I had a wonderful theater experience with an energetic crowd, and the movie scared the hell out of me at the time. At the time I was staying in a new house, in a pitch black and huge basement all alone. It really added to the lingering creepiness when I had to navigate that basement just to go to the bathroom.

My Insidious experience is 100% responsible for getting me into the genre so I have a lot of love for it. It was really a right place and right time for me. The score is, as you said, scary as gently caress and Wan can really nail the creepy imagery. I especially love all the ghostly camerawork and how it kinda floats through the house like a spectre as well. Visually it just hit all the right notes for me and I've been trying to chase that feeling ever since. I'll never forget the nervous laughter in the crowd when the mom is first walking through the laundry room and the kid is in the corner. When the big reveal came it was such a perfect mix of comedy and horror for me.

I can 100% understand complaints about the second half/ending, but I'm still a huge apologist for it. There's a lot of new agey beliefs in my family, so an Exorcist-like take but with astral projection instead of Christianity was right up my alley. The more fist fighty parts are a bit lame yeah but the rest more than makes up for it imo. Also Patrick Wilson owns.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Does anyone know if The Noonday Witch (Polednice) ever got a US release? It looked pretty interesting, but as far as I can tell no US streaming service picked it up for distribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpUytevurY

e: oh poo poo the sequel to Creep is out?!

SMP
May 5, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Watched the Corman/Price Pit and the Pendulum for the first time this morning. Price swinging from a maudlin sad-sack to completely crazed madman was awesome. I wish House of Usher was streaming someplace.

Did anyone see that remake from a while back? Was it as pointless as it seemed?

It's actually the only Carrie I've seen. I thought it was pretty good, but it probably was a pointless remake. Julianne Moore did great in it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I can't believe What Lies Beneath is the best Vermont-set horror film, but also it's the only horror film I've heard of set in Vermont.

SMP
May 5, 2009

So I watched the first Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th films this month. What sequels in all these franchises are actually worth watching? I regret not paying attention to these discussions when they happened before, but y'all seem to love talking about them so...

Also, same question goes for Hellraiser.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I should mention I'm not really a slasher guy and didn't think much of the first f13. Really liked NOES and love Hellraiser.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I did watch Halloween 3 and New Nightmare already, I really enjoyed both.

Heavy Metal posted:

Skip to 4 (The Final Chapter) in that case I'd say. You a Crispin Glover fan? He's delivering the goods in abundance. Also, see Candyman if you haven't! (by Clive Barker) And Dario Argento movies if you haven't! Suspiria, Deep Red, Tenebre, Opera, you name it. And let's throw in some more movies, kitchen sink etc, you've seen Gremlins 2 I assume

Crispin Glover is great. I need to watch more Italian horror, I've only seen Suspiria. I haven't seen Gremlins but it's on my list for December since it's set during Christmas.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'm putting together a list from them.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Someone from Blumhouse has an installation in Burbank that recreates a VHS horror store.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I just watched Knock Knock and loving loved it. It was probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, and I don't mean that in an so-bad-it's-good way. Everyone is always talking poo poo about Eli Roth and this film in particular, so now I'm doubting what I've heard. Are his other films this good/funny? Any suggestions for other horror films with a similarly dark sense of humor?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Cabin Fever is considered funny and good, it's just aged about as well as every other 2002 horror movie. People talk poo poo about Eli Roth as a person. Most of his films are fine, they just aren't good enough to justify his douchebag narcissism.

Hostel 2 has it's defenders. Green Inferno wasn't liked all that well. Hemlock Grove is actively terrible (despite a good werewolf transformation). So far, the hype for Death Wish is that it's in incredibly bad taste.

You're actually the only person I've seen talk about Knock Knock.

There's at least one other person, someone posted in this thread (or might have been the October Challenge thread) and said they loved it. I had never heard anyone else say that, so it got me to actually watch it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It's on Netflix in the US

There's stuff I don't quite get plot wise and I don't feel like I have a total grip on it after one watch but it was really good

It's probably the only movie that benefits from looking up an explainer on YouTube afterwards. Korean folklore plays a huge part in it, and the film is clearly meant to be understood by it's audience.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I recommend A Dark Song it's real good and it's hard to talk about why but I think really it's just these believable performances and really it's a "micro" horror in the sense that it's one location and just these two people, but drat is it not good. It's on Netflix.

It's a Irish Independent horror and wow it's just great.

Like you know how some films don't deliver on their premise. This one delivers and just is loving AWESOME.

Like slow burn and then the loving ending actually delivers.

This was a good recommendation. Just watched this and the ending does indeed payoff.

SMP
May 5, 2009

It's been years since I've seen them, so I barely remember them, but I seem to recall guns being pretty terrifying in one of the [REC] movies. I seem to recall some kid trying to shoot the zombie but completely whiffing the shot and killing some innocent guy instead.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I haven't seen Gremlins or Christmas Evil so I'm hyped. Also for Krampus which I've seen twice but rules.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Someone in this thread once called You're Next a Thanksgiving movie and I thought that was brilliant.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Fart City posted:

I dunno man, Halloween II is still really up there in terms of unexpected kid death. Not only does Ben Tramer get macked by that police car, the loving thing slams him into a van and explodes afterwards. Like there is "dead" and then there is "aggressively dead."

Speaking of, its incredibly funny to me that the guy Laurie liked is the one that gets loving destroyed, and not even by Myers.

SMP
May 5, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

I never saw the Carrie remake. Was it worth checking out?

It's better than I was expecting. Unnecessary, but not bad.

SMP
May 5, 2009

As both a Halloween '79 disliker (love Carpenter tho) and Friday the 13th hater, I loving LOVED Zombie's Halloweens. I agree wholeheartedly with all of Kvlt's points.

I just watched both for the October challenge, so I'll copy/paste my reviews here. Sorry for the wall of text.

36. Halloween (2007) - 4/5

quote:

Update: I initially gave this 3.5 stars, but having now seen the sequel I have to revise. Rob Zombie's Halloween and Halloween II are inseparable. To judge one without the other is insane. My review for the second film is basically a review of both.

The two hour runtime and some cringey lines hold it back from greatness, but I really liked it! It's an odd inversion of the '79 Halloween that could have only been made after thirty years and seven sequels. Zombie's take is decidedly not the same story about Laurie Strode. It's all about Michael Myers, and undoing decades of erosion from pop culture. The infamously bad sequels, parodies, and general commodification of yet another horror icon—RIP the Xenomorph—had stripped him of his intimidation. This remake clearly set out to bring the horror back, and it works! At least for me.

I never found him scary or interesting in the original, but I definitely did here. 6'8" Myers bursting through doors is fuckin scary, man. He's an absolute unit that will just roll right through you. Most people poo poo on this movie for spending an hour on his backstory, but I appreciated it. It's not much more than a basic serial killer origin, but it adds some degree of sympathy and menace to his character. At the very least, it makes you feel bad when he kills certain people.

One of my biggest complaints about the original is that Myers doesn't do poo poo. Well, he Does poo poo here. A whole lot of it. All of the murder in the first half sets appropriate stakes, and makes his still presence in the second actually feel ominous. This time, when the kids spy on street corners I actually feel something.

The downside to all this is that it makes Loomis' character redundant. His role in the original as Myers' hype man was excellent, but now we see all the psychopathy ourselves. His grave warnings aren't needed anymore, he's just a guy with a gun.

Anyway, this didn't need to be two hours long. There's some fat in the beginning and end you could trim. After Michael was downed in the pool I was like "that was great", and then saw there was twenty minutes left. The remaining time ended up being a tiring chase through the house that just felt repetitious. It finished strong though, with a fantastic ending I didn't quite expect.

All in all, Zombie's Halloween is far from a perfect "remake", but it has the right philosophy. Straight re-tellings are rarely worth it, but a new perspective will always been interesting.

37. Halloween II (2009) - 5/5

quote:

Y E S. This is the best god drat slasher I think I'll ever see, and one of my new horror favorites. The Rob Zombie Halloween films are the first slashers I've ever appreciated for their genuine horror, and not just for their novelty. Maybe it's just the more relatable modern aesthetic, but the sheer brutality and relentlessness actually got to me. Shooting on 16mm was a fantastic choice too.

Whereas the first movie was entirely Michael's, this one is entirely Laurie's, and that's important because the two movies are inseparable. This poo poo is the first slasher epic, you gotta watch both back-to-back for the full experience. It's not just that Halloween II is a good sequel, it's that without it, you're only getting half the story. At the end of the first movie, Laurie pulls the trigger and the credits roll, but Michael's terror never ends.

I lauded the original 1981 sequel for touching on the trauma angle, but Zombie's version really takes that concept and runs with it. For all its trashiness, Halloween II is one of the most empathetic horror movies I've ever seen. Most of the movie is about Laurie coping with PTSD and trying to find normalcy again. The scenes of her domestic life are especially painful, because you can tell her new family cares for her so much and actually wants to help. I feel so bad for Laurie in a way I almost never do in horror movies. That extends to most other characters in the film too, all these deaths actually have weight.

It's a heartbreaking movie from the first frame to the last, and just like its prequel, II has a brilliant ending of its own. I'm honestly glad there will never be a third film, because it's about as perfect an ending you can get for a slasher franchise.

This is going to sound insane, but I'm honestly reminded a lot of another dear favorite of mine: Hereditary. The director, Ari Aster, gave an interview after its release and said something that's stuck with me ever since:

VAGUE SPOILERS ABOUT THE NATURE OF THE ENDINGS TO HEREDITARY AND HALLOWEEN II BELOW

"I wanted to make a film about grief and trauma. I wanted to make a film that was honest about those things. I feel like there’s a trend of American domestic dramas and tragedies where a family suffers a loss, things get hairy for a while, it gets tumultuous, and communication breaks down… but ultimately, the bonds are strengthened, and everything’s going to be okay. People have been brought together by the experience… And there’s nothing inherently false about that idea, but it’s not always the case. Some people don’t recover."

Zombie's Halloween isn't just about bodycount and thrills—despite being great at both—it's about genuine tragedy. To be a truly great horror movie, there has to be genuine care for the victims. You can have fun with the movies that fake it, but the films that don't are in a league of their own.

SMP fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

Null of Undefined posted:

If y’all aren’t watching The Curious Creations of Christine McConnel you’re loving up.

Started this today and it's a delight. I don't really care about cooking shows or anything, but it's just so in-season and wonderful.

SMP
May 5, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It can be a little obvious both in terms of character motivations (they are... strongly defined)

I'm through three episodes now and this poo poo is driving me insane. They're got a great story blocked out but the writing is killing it for me. Every scene is end-capped with some awful line that outright states or makes obvious what the point of the scene was. It never trusts the audience to understand what they just saw.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Floodixor posted:

Eech, that's what I figured. Well, it beats me feeling like a horrible person for an hour and a half in a dark room with a pal.

I'll watch it myself. I feel like this is a basic question, but where is it streaming? I do t have a Hulu account but I do have Amazon prime, can't check those because I'm phone posting.

And thank you as usual horror thread you guys are okay in my book ☺️

Chance are you will like Hereditary enough to watch it a second time with them when they're in a better place.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I finished Haunting of Hill House and yeesh. I'm a Flanagan apologist but that was bad. At it's core, the show is about writing as many moments as you can that try and imitate the Carousel scene from Mad Men. Everyone—and I mean everyone—has at least two well-rehearsed speeches about something mundane that reveals some greater emotional truth. It's loving exhausting. It's almost a parody of prestige TV.

SMP
May 5, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Just coming in to say that Koji Shiraishi's Occult still rules extremely hard.

I've only watched it once, and it was like 5 years ago at this point, but I haven't stopped thinking about it. I bet those "goofy" effects have aged particularly well in a post-Twin Peaks: The Return world. I've been trying to find a rip of that movie's score for years, too. It's guttural. It's like a heartbeat for the film.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

i'm curious is Hereditary resonated with anyone who had a healthy family life growing up

I did and it's maybe a top 5 movie for me. Seen that poo poo 3 times now, even once with my mom :v:

It didn't resonate with her like it did me,which was surprising.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I think Gerald’s Game is easily his best, though I could have done without the molestation scene, but that’s more of a Stephen King issue.

That scene absolutely ruined that actor for me. He keeps popping up in every Flanagan project and I can never not see him as that creep anymore.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Egger's next film sounds sick, but I'm also very disappointed he put his Dracula adaptation on the backburner.

SMP
May 5, 2009

TCM2 is really the Rosetta Stone to Rob Zombie. 1000 Corpses is the horror comedy TCM, and TCM2 is the horror comedy Devil's Rejects. Everything else sprouts from these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a better year for horror than '85?