Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

spixxor posted:

I thought Insidious was a great movie, and it did great at building tension, but Darth Maul demon really should have been designed differently. Even the jump scare where he was behind the guy was kinda ruined for me because that's all I could think of.

This. My other problem was the song that played during the ghost boy scene, and (I think) later when Darth Maul was sharpening his claws, sounded a lot like the Tiny Tim song from Spongebob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtQmwJ1WAY. So the whole time this was going on, all I could think of was Spongebob making Krabby Patties for the anchovies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Darko posted:

4's deaths were too predictable as well; the cause of death was generally what you'd expect when the sequence started. None of the whole "he dodges 17 deaths only to have a ladder go through his eye," or "she dodged the pipe - nope, airbag pushed her head back through it" touches that made the 2nd great.

It also has the dude who gets crushed by the falling pane of glass, one of my favorite deaths in the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rne8gwWP2w

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Darko posted:

Tony Todd? Candyman? The guy who is in the trailer to this one?

He was in one and two and did a voice cameo for three for the carnival ride thing.

I like the idea that he realized he had a badass voice, so he gave up on the whole mortician job to become a full-time voice actor.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

RichterIX posted:

I liked Jennifer's Body and I don't really care who knows it.

It may not be a good movie in the classical sense, but drat if it's not entertaining. It's on HBO all the time, so a lot of times, I'll just be like "Nothing else is on, I'll watch Jennifer's Body again!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is it just me, or is Final Destination 5 like if Remember Me was a really good horror movie instead of a mediocre romance movie? Also, with a fictional plane explosion, rather than 9/11.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was gonna check out Never Sleep Again, even though I haven't seen them all (or any of them recently), and I was planning to marathon them. Would it be better if I watched them all before or afterwards?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The scene where the chick with the video camera walks into the room where all the ghosts are, and they all turn and stare at her freaked me out pretty good. Also, Chris Kattan losing his poo poo is pretty funny, too.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just finished JDATE like a month ago, so I'm pretty excited for this. I only hope they can somehow make the "Prepare to meat your maker" joke work on the screen, I was hysterical laughing at that whole sequence.

Edit: I forgot, does John actually die at the end? I don't remember now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is weird, I just watched Scream 2, too. Although mine was on a DVD that I bought, because I'm too cheap for Netflix and it was only $5. Now, despite only having the first two, I want to marathon the Scream movies.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ack! posted:

My 14 year old niece was traumatized by The New Daughter which wasn't particularly memorable to me but I'm not a teenage girl.

Kids can be funny that way. I probably saw Poltergeist a million times as a kid, and it never scared me. I was, however, scarred when my grandmother decided that The Silence of the Lambs would be a great movie for me to watch. Grandma :argh:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

weekly font posted:

My grandfather gave me a love of horror movies when he would show me It and Children of the Corn at age 4, traumatizing me to this day (gently caress clowns). I always thought he was kind of awesome for it.

Your grandmother is more awesomer.

To quote my grandmother, "it's fun to scare little kids!"

I refused to watch Silence of the Lambs again for the longest time. Weirdly though, Poltergeist never scared me at all.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ZombieParts posted:

Friday the 13th managed to keep the feel of the original series and honestly felt like a sequel as much as a remake. It had all of the elements from the original series and it also felt updated and not so 80's. Definitely a fantastic remake.

My one problem with the F13 remake was that the tone was just slightly off, and some of the kills felt too mean, specifically Chewie getting the screwdriver in the throat, and Lawrence getting axed. The blonde couple on the boat were just the right tone though.

Then again, the old ones had some pretty mean stuff, so maybe it's just a problem I have with it as a movie, not as an entry in the F13 series.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Crackerman posted:

I just watched Diary of the Dead. I know it's not a recent horror (is this thread for "upcoming" horror anymore?) but I had to vent. The film was so loving bad.

I cannot believe how absolutely atrocious this film was. I haven't seen a Romero film since I watched Land of the Dead years ago, which I thought was enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the films in his old trilogy but...gently caress me, how could he sink so low? Where did all his talent go?

Everything about it was bad. The acting was among some of the worst I have ever seen, I don't even know how acting can be that bad. The dialogue was terrible and barely made any sense most of the time, I had no loving clue what was meant to be happening or why the characters were doing half the stupid poo poo they kept doing. Why did he bother with the found footage format? Why was there a hideout exclusively for black people?

Was this film a joke? Have I been trolled by Romero?

I just can't believe he made more movies after Land of the Dead. And yes, I said movies. :negative:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ruddiger posted:

loving Ving Rhames, I was flipping through Netflix and noticed Rhames is in yet another zombie movie, Zombie Apocalypse, made by Asylum Films (yes, THAT Asylum). Despite the terrible effects and worse acting, it's actually pretty enjoyable for what it is, and some of the dialogue and sequences are a little too clever for an Asylum picture (using airhorns as zombie distraction grenades, arrows vs. guns argument, etc.), but redeems itself by the end with a fantastically terrible cgi zombie-tiger fighting scene.

Wouldn't a zombie tiger only be interested in eating other tigers?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was a kid when it first came out, but the opening scene from Scream gave me some nightmares for a while, not to mention the fact that my grandmother thought showing me Silence of the Lambs was a great idea around that time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Duke posted:

The Grudge was horrible but there's something about an entity standing 1 step behind you, literally breathing on your neck and being completely unaware of it that still managed to be creepy at times. Things popping out of the dark as well.

Didn't it have some sort of weird thing in the audio/bass mix that only worked in theatres to creep people out, that was lost in the transition to DVD?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else catch atm not that kind of atm? It stars Josh Peck and is written by the guy that wrote Buried. Same one place setup but with three people instead of one and thit time stuck at an atm booth with a killer standing outside the door.

Pretty good acting and script, and enjoyed it throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geffQdBbKzI&ob=av3e

They pretty much stole the killer from the first Urban Legend movie. Or am I the only one to remember that?

Movie still looks good, though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I watched Grave Encounters last night, and for the most part I enjoyed it, although it did seem incredibly derivative. The backstory of the asylum was straight out of the remake of House on Haunted Hill, and the ghost hands scene seemed lifted directly from this well-known "demon" video. That being said, the shifting of the building was interesting to see, I feel like that's underused and freaky as hell.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TUS posted:

Holy moley I haven't seen that movie in forever. I remember watching it like monthly growing up. Poor John Ritter :(

I had no idea other people knew that movie, I saw it as a kid and thought it kicked rear end.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Blair Witch is a lot like Austin Powers in that on it's own meit, it's a fantastic movie, but it got way too popular for its own good. There was a time in the late 1990s/early 2000s where you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting some sort of parody.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I can never get into They're Creeping Up on You. Maybe because I don't find bugs to be a scary thing in the slightest, or maybe it's because the actor does such a good job playing an unlikable character. Who knows.

The Crate is my loving joint though. Hal Holbrook calling his wife to come down to the school is one of my all time favorite horror movie moments. Just so gleeful about what is going to happen.

I'm partial to "Something To Tide You Over," mostly because Leslie Nielson.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Horns posted:

It's not a Slenderman movie, or at least not an "official" one. The only similarity between the two is they both abduct children. Supposedly this is what The Tall Man in Pascal Laugier's movie looks like:

So it's Bruce Willis' character in Unbreakable?

And I watched Devil earlier, and I feel like they fumbled on a really good concept with a bad script, too high a budget, and not enough scares. I did enjoy the security guard freaking out about toast landing the wrong way, though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CobiWann posted:

I caught Grave Encounters on a whim this weekend. It was on one of the Showtime channels, I was on the computer, and thought "eh, I'm a sucker for haunted asylums."

A few days later, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but that movie hosed with my head. The tipping point was when they break open the front door to the asylum, but instead of the outdoors, it's another corridor. And when they find a sign that says "EXIT," it's another corridor. And when they get to the staircase leading to the roof, it's walled off.

Nothing fancy, but it's a nice take on the "found footage" genre.

I liked it, but they stole too much from other sources for my liking. The "hand demon" youtube video was copied almost direction, and the ending was taken from a scene in the remake of House On Haunted Hill.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PaleInkedBoy posted:

Has anyone here seen John Dies at the End? I'm dying to see that movie and I haven't heard anything about it in ages.

According to their Facebook/Twitter, they're waiting on news of a release date.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well I know what I'm watching tonight. Going in completely blind, all I know is that it's called Detention, and it's insane.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CrazyPanda posted:

Shouid probabiy watch it with a good beer.

No beer, but I do have a big bowl of awesome fried rice. So that's something.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just finished Detention, too. I have no idea what happened, but I think it was awesome. I think.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I like The Walking Dead :shobon: It has a lot of faults and things that could be a lot better, but it's good for a bit of schlocky fun. And it convinced my sister to watch Shaun of the Dead, so some good has come out of it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Thir13en Ghosts is a total guilty pleasure of mine.

I admit I have a certain fondness for that movie, mostly because of the :krad: sets and the ghosts. Looking back on it, it seems almost like a precursor to the whole SCP thing.

Which reminds me, has there ever been a movie to try to recreate the elaborate movie theater gags/gimmicks like the original Thirteen Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, etc? Even a re-release of one of these would be really cool.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There really need to be more good werewolf movies. What is there, aside from the old "Wolfman" movies? An American Werewolf In London, Ginger Snaps, and Teen Wolf?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mouser.. posted:

It's not really a horror movie. Unless you considered Idle Hands to be a horror movie instead of just being loving stupid.

Idle Hands is great, I don't know what you're talking about.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel like there has to be some sort of irony in the final girl of a "feminist" slasher movie wearing a shirt called a "wife beater."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I liked the remake because it was actually a thrill ride of a film, which most remakes aren't, they are dark ride versions of the original. (theme park references, what of it?)

The best thing about the remake though is a story I know. A good friend of mine is best friends with Gunnar Hansen, and Gunnar called him up one afternoon and said "Hey, I'm going to see the Chainsaw remake, you wanna come?"

My friend lives south of Boston, Gunnar lives in the boonies in Maine. My friend said no because of it, and I called him dumb. Seeing the remake of Texas Chainsaw with the original Leatherface would be a goddamn no brainer for me.

I imagine that'd have to be close to watching Goodfellas with Henry Hill. But thanks to this thread, I'm having a TCM/Halloween remake double feature tonight.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alhazred posted:

I thought Gunnar Hansen hated that movie.

Considering the hellish conditions under which the original was shot, I could see it being easy to be bitter about those drat kids having it easy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm watching the Texas Chainsaw remake...was that a Harry Knowles cameo as a severed face?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Glamorama26 posted:

As I said earlier, the Leatherface depiction is so so lazy and that's a big part of my problem with the film. He's just a big angry dude with a chainsaw. Meh.

Am I a sick person for laughing at the scene where his severed chainsaw-holding arm is spinning around in circles on the floor and he just can't pick it up? It just came off as comical.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lock all the theater doors and have an actual masked serial killer loose with a chainsaw in the dark.

Is it real? OR IS IT THE MOVIE!?

That's a terrible idea, that's like having an actual terrorist in the theaters during The Dark Knight Rises.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Rover posted:

Also from the past few years : Trick 'R Treat. I love the atmosphere of it. It literally feels like Halloween night to me, and that is one of my favorite feelings ever.

I love Trick 'r Treat. I really can't picture it as something you'd watch in a movie theater, it feels like something you'd watch on Halloween night while you eat most of the big bowl of candy that was supposed to be for the trick or treaters. The atmosphere is incredible.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator form the holy trinity of "essential '80s comedy-horror" along with Evil Dead 2. I'd say Evil Dead 2 is my favorite, but in terms of mixing dread with comedy, I'd say Return of the Living Dead is the best. It's really impressive the feeling of utter hopelessness that movie creates while still remaining funny.

Hey everybody, Trash is taking off her clothes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

My fiance and I are going to attempt the halloween challenge again this year of 31 "horror" movies in October, we tried two years ago and got 2/3rds of the way through it. I think the failure that year was too much of the same, we watched a whole bunch of classic slashers and got burnt out.

No Hocus Pocus? For shame.