Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz runs 15 hours+ , but I have never been clear on if it was meant to be a mini-series or one solid movie.

Berlin Alexanderplatz originally aired as a TV miniseries in fourteen parts and I believe that's also the way it's presented on DVD, though I've heard that festivals sometimes show the whole thing in one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

So how does one get access to 60 Hammer films? I would like that, and they're hard to get collected on video.

One of the local libraries used to have a large collection of Hammer films on VHS, but they got rid of it a few years ago. :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think Cannibal Holocaust is generally credited with establishing the found footage genre, though I'm sure you could find earlier examples if you're willing to search for them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yaws posted:

My friend is raving about Possession. What'd you guys think of it?

It's one of those films that you have to experience for yourself, preferrably while knowing as little as possible about it beforehand. Mere words cannot do it justice.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

caiman posted:

Am I the only person who finds Possession to be horribly irritating? The incessant exaggerated emoting from the two leads made for a wholly unpleasant experience.

Possession is equal parts irritating, funny, and terrifying. It's the perfect horror film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

Both versions of The Blob are pretty sweet.

Not only is the original Blob a great film, it also has the catchiest opening I've ever seen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

What's like the most ridiculous horror movie ever, the one that tries the wackiest poo poo but actually pulls it off? I don't mean "so bad its good" like a Troll 2, I'm talking about a movie that's whacked out and crazy but actually works and is entertaining.

I've never seen anything that tops Hausu, but Braindead/Dead Alive and Tetsuo: The Iron Man are up there.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The best thing about Possession is Carl Duering playing the world's worst detective.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It was in the General Movie Questions thread. Here you go.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

I really like that film but the director was insistent that Vincent Price not ham it up which means he didn't really get what Price was all about. He successfully coaxed a different kind of performance from Price, but did we really need that?

I like Price hamming it up as much as the next person, but I think it's unfair to try and pigeonhole him in this regard. He could give a very powerful low-key performance if he was allowed to. Last Man on Earth is a good example of that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

Ladies and gentleman, my TOP 5 HORROR ACTORS OF ALL TIME THANK YOU FOR ASKING:

1. Boris Karloff. As good as it gets. Incredible range.

2. Peter Cushing.

3. Donald Pleasance

4. Vincent Price

5. Christopher Lee

Thanks for your time.

No Udo Kier? For shame.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

Fun question for the thread: favorite individual performances? I go Gunnar's Leatherface, Marilyn Burns as Sally and Jeff Goldblum as Seth Brundle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oo0Nj3fMf8&t=22s

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

Power! Power to rule!

poo poo rules.

I love how he goes from quiet and almost regretful to extravagant boasting ("Even the moon's frightened of me!") in the span of just two minutes. It's a huge tonal shift, but Claude Rains makes it seem so natural.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 18, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Another one that I stumbled on that has amazing music Eyes without a Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjrg-L8lvs

Eyes Without a Face having great music is no surprise since it was an early work of Maurice Jarre, who went on to do a ton of memorable scores (among them Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago).

Incidentally, the full film is up on Youtube in very nice quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idqSYTfejgc

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Eventually we're going to enter a singularity where the horror genre is literally just remakes of the same 20 movies over and over again.

Eventually?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I'm also sort of surprised that someone can be bored by It Follows but also like The Witch.

How so? They're very different in style, setting, and themes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

To me, the scariest part of The Exorcist is seeing Regan tied to all those machines when the doctors are perfoming various tests. Demons have nothing on modern technology.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kept in the weirdos, you mean.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Glamorama26 posted:

Also we both like Robert Englund's Phantom of the Opera so my steel is at his call.

To be fair, who doesn't?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

Cinema Discusso: As a single guy with very few responsibilities, I do not have this problem

Reminds me of something Roger Ebert wrote in his review of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

Ebert posted:

If you think "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" sounds like a waste of time, don't waste yours. I, as it happens, have time to waste [...]

I think of that quote a lot when I'm watching a mediocre film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think you can make a good case that Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is both Hooper and Hopper's best film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are you sure you're thinking about the right movie because I'm having trouble imagining a human being who doesn't think Possession is a good movie

Possession is great, but I have absolutely no trouble imagining someone not liking it. It's a very unusual film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Possession is a film that in your teens you think is weird and in your 20s you think is surprisingly accurate.

My condolences.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That there's some sort of implication that everyone must be deluding themselves about liking aNOES sequels. That we all know deep down that objectively they are not good.

It's funny because NoES' track record is actually fairly solid when compared to a lot of other horror franchises.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What are some good examples of Gothic horror not made by Hammer studios? Ideally something in a similar vein as The Company of Wolves.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lots of good recommendations, thanks. I've seen most of Corman's Poe films, but I barely remember anything about The Raven, so it's probably due for a rewatch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Crimson Peak (I liked it, anyway)

Did we ever have a thread for that? It seems to have flown under the radar.

Hollismason posted:

I don't know how you feel about French lesbian vampire films ,

I didn't know they were prevalent enough to constitute their own subgenre. Although in hindsight, it doesn't seem that surprising.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I think you would like Witchfinder General with Vincent Price.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Vincent Price has yet to disappoint.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

SubG posted:

Viy is generally regarded as the only Soviet-era horror film. The official state position was that supernatural poo poo was counterrevolutionary.

That's really interesting. Was Stalker controversial at the time of its release because of this?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

True, but it does touch on some supernatural themes, which made me curious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

That the 1920s German Faust? I've mentioned it once I think.

No, that's just Faust (or Faust - Eine deutsche Volkssage if you go by the original title). Faust: Love of the Damned is a Spanish horror film from 2000.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

What are the biggest twists in horror films ? Possession off the table. Spoiler tags pleease.

Psycho's twist has lost some of its impact after being copied and parodied by everyone and their mother, but it's still an extremely well-executed series of events.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I don't know about the others but Dellamorte Dellamore That's Franco's dream and him accepting death. It's all a dream of Francos

In a similar vein, the twist in Jacob's Ladder is fantastic if only because of how obvious it seems in hindsight.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Evil Dead is a Caesar salad, Evil Dead 2 is spaghetti alla carbonara, Army of Darkness is Crêpe Suzette.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Reaganomics

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Brazil is most definitely a horror film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm glad we agree.

ObamaPhone posted:

Gilliam throws in everything but the kitchen sink.

I like some of his movies and all, but some of them completely derail themselves.

PS > I know I'm going to start a flame war, but Fear & Loathing, Dr. Parnassus, and Time Bandits are the only 3 movies I think are good.

It's funny you mention Time Bandits as one of your personal top three because I'd call it the most striking example of Gilliam's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach you criticise in your own post. Twelve Monkeys, Brazil, and The Fisher King are all far more thematically and stylistically consistent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Masque of the Red Death is a great choice. Hausu and Jigoku are worth a look as well.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wish more films opened with the announcer guy from Frankenstein.

"Hey, just so you know, this film's pretty scary. Bet you can't handle it, you wuss."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

moths posted:

Eve Online, actually. There were plans for a Vampire MMO but like most MMO plans it was hilariously mismanaged and went nowhere.

White Wolf used to belong to CCP (creators of Eve Online), but was bought by Paradox Interactive in 2015. There are rumours that Paradox is working on a new Vampire: The Masquerade game together with Obsidian, but nothing concrete has surfaced yet.

Wizards of the Coast is now a subsidiary of Hasbro, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure Mario is supposed to represent the working class and Dracula the aristocracy but that Paul Morrissey hates both classes equally viewing the working class as savage barbarian thugs and the aristocrats as decadent weaklings.

Blood for Dracula has a lot of love for aristocratic values, but despises the actual aristocracy. Similarly, it seems sympathetic towards the goals of communism, but not towards the communists themselves. It's a film about people who constantly fall short of the ideals they're supposed to represent. If you want to be optimistic, you could argue that the ending shows a reconciliation between the working class and the nobility, leading to a new social order that abolishes the previous, exploitative class structure. A more cynical take on the ending would be that women are hosed (literally and figuratively) no matter who's in charge.