Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

Oh god, reading this thread may have solved one of my lifelong mysteries. When I was a kid, I was scrolling through television channels and saw a brief part of a movie where a woman got stuffed in a dryer, and that disturbed me a whole lot when I saw it. I could never figure out what that movie was (the villain wasn't anything recognizable to my young eyes - I couldnt figure out what he was supposed to be, so I couldn't use that to figure out what movie it was) until now. Time to track down the original now.

If it's not the movie mentioned in this thread you might've seen a clip from the original Toxic Avenger, which also has a dryer kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Kaiju posted:

I'm starting to see the divide. Casey from Cinema Fromage loved it while Eric from Bloody Good Horror loving loathed it. Mark at Brutal As Hell also wasn't into it, but my own review was extremely positive, so I guess things at this point are starting to balance.

But I definitely think it's a generation gap kinda thing. The old school guys seem to dissect it and compare the flaws to their favorite entries in the old series. Lots of Mears vs. Hodder debates, too. I'm the wild card, apparently. I love the old ones and I'm old enough to have seen a few of them theatrically, but I loved the new one, so... Don't know what that says about me.

Clearly it was the reference to your avatar biasing you :).

Fun movie for what it was, and ultra-mega-pissed-off Jason was pretty great. A bit too reliant on moments where someone turns around and Jason's just chilling behind them. I'd rank it below 4 and 6, but it's much better than most of the sequels.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched that His Name Was Jason documentary earlier today and it looks like I'll have to go back and watch all of the past movies. So far I've only seen Part 1, Freddy VS Jason, and the remake, but Part 7, Jason Takes Manhattan, and Jason X in particular all look pretty interesting and like they'd be worth a watch.

Manhattan is the worst of the series by far, but it's worth watching (without a rental fee, preferably) for one of the kills (you'll know it when you see it) and for having the stupidest loving ending possible. You really should try to see VI, it's the most fun of the movies and hits just the right balance between decent kill scenes and humor. It's not a Shaun of the Dead style satire, but it gives winks and nods without being overly cheesy about doing so.

pud
Jul 9, 2001
Feast 2 is entertaining as long as you're in a Troma state of mind. Feast 3 is the worst of the three and has several scenes where thanks to the lighting you'll have no loving idea what's going on, but it also has some amusing scenes/characters and the ending is stupid enough to be funny.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of which, what does everyone think about the Japanese splatter movies that seem to have been popping up in recent years? There seems to be a whole subgenre of these that I just recently stumbled on by watching a movie called Tokyo Gore Police. To me it played out like a comedy along the lines of Dead-Alive, complete with bad stop-motion models and never ending arterial blood sprays, only they crank that poo poo up to the next level, and I loved every bit of it.

These are a godsend when I don't have anything important in my Netflix que and plan on getting shitfaced on a weekend or something. Machine Girl is another really good one, and I think I recall Meatball Machine being decent but I really wasn't in the state of mind that makes for reliable film criticism at the time. There's also another one coming out by the makers of TGP, "Mutant Girl Squad", which is getting a limited theatrical run over here soon. And while not nearly as gory, "Executive Koala" is amusing in the sense that someone actually made it, and the closing shot is hilarious in a totally dumbass way that I love.

pud
Jul 9, 2001
I've watched Detention at least six times in the last four days, mainly trying to get friends into it. It's pretty hit-or-miss with people, but I love it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

C.H.U.D. is great in that cheesy 80's kinda way, just stay far, far away from the sequel. The commentary track is pretty funny, too, if you're into those.

A while back someone released a free-for-download found footage movie called The Tunnel, the atmosphere was good but I didn't really give a poo poo about the characters and the creature only appeared for about 20 seconds total.

pud fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2012