Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Whispering Machines posted:

What are peoples thoughts on The Strangers? A couple months ago I went home for a night and my mum had rented it from Blockbuster Online (she pretty much just rents all the new releases without really looking at the titles... we get some strange movies) and I didn't think it was too bad.

I loved The Strangers. I made it my #2 horror film of the year. Simple, creepy and bleak, it caught me by surprise.

to the guy who said it hints this was their first kill... i think it just hints that it was one of the killers first kill, since she says something like "don't worry, it gets easier."

MBV3D was fantastic too, for all the reasons others have stated. I'm going again this weekend. I've heard a lot of people got duped into seeing it in 2D unknowingly, which is a shame because I can't imagine it being the same roller-coaster-esque experience without those stylish Real3D black shades.

And just to put it on the record, for me, the proper order of the Friday the 13th series (from best to worst) would be 7, 2, 4, 1, 6, 11, 3, 10, 8, 9, 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Pillowpants posted:

I really loving hated Jason X, and I'm surprised the love Part 7 is getting.

I've always loved Part 7, but I thought that was just me. It's a shame the director had to cut so much gore and not use his original idea for the ending.

Pillowpants posted:

How do you feel regarding Nightmare and Halloween?

Oh, good lord... I've never tried to rank them, but here goes.

Nightmare:
1, 3, 4, 7 (new nightmare), 8 (fvj), 2, 5, 6.

Halloween:
1, 2, 7 (h20), 4, 5, 9 (remake), 8 (resurrection), 6, 3.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk. Why don't they just go remake Psycho while they're at it?

- I've never understood why the TCM remakes elicit so many negative responses. While nothing could live up to the original, both of remake and its sequel are beautiful, moody and vicious. I'm personally hoping Friday the 13th has the same look and feel as those, and from the trailers and production photos... it does.

- At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I help run a blog primarily about slasher films at evilontwolegs.com. Particularly relevant to this thread might be an article i co-wrote last year heavily borrowing (i.e., stealing) the Fashion SWAT format to look at the fashion of Camp Crystal Lake.

- The Butterfly Effect 2 was truly horrid. I can't believe part 3 made the 8 Films To Die For this year...

- I agree the Final Destination series is great. Part 2 is by far the best so far... if only it'd been in 3D (if nothing else, for the big log scene).

- Also... I was kidding about Psycho... I know they remade it. Probably one of the worst ideas I'd ever heard, but I was particularly enraged that Hitchcock's name didn't even make the opening credits despite them re-shooting the film line-for-line and shot-for-shot.

evilontwolegs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2009

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Darko posted:

I just watched Ft13th 2 again (On Demand) and I had the exact same sentiment when he moved the kettle. That and laughing at how short Jason was in that movie, and listening to them trying to retrofit "but he was still alive and saw his mother get killed" in there. And somehow, I found the wheelchair death MORE brutal this time. That might be my all time favorite Jason kill.

I agree with the "hottest babes" assessment too.

Ginny is, by far, the best (and hottest) final girl in the series.

Apart from the obvious question of what Jason was doing all those years between (almost) drowning and just happening to stumble out of the woods the moment his mom gets decapitated, I've always had two questions about this film.

1) Did he just wander over to him mom's dead body and steal her sweater and head before the cops arrived? No one noticed they were missing?

2) Given what we know of Jason from the series (i.e., he's not that bright), how did he manage to track down Alice, look up her phone number and make a prank call all before slipping into her apartment unnoticed? Not to mention the question of how he got from Crystal Lake to where ever Alice is unnoticed. I've always imagined Jason 'Splinter Cell-ing' his way across town, his back pressed against the walls, leaping from shadow to shadow, pillow case on his head and his dead mom's decapitated head in hand.

As for the remake -- I'm uber-excited to go see it tonite, particularly after seeing the positive reception it seems to be getting here. I finally got my copy of His Name Was Jason last night from Amazon, and it's actually really good. I don't think the interviewees were as honest as they were in Crystal Lake Memories (i.e., blatantly stating how much they hated working with certain actors/directors/etc.), but it's a nice summary of the entire series and had a lot of information I hadn't seen before. Tom Savini is also surprisingly good at hosting. I actually got two copies of the DVD because Amazon was saying it'd be another two weeks before it shipped, and then it magically arrived when I got home from picking up a copy at the store, so I'm giving one away at my slasher film blog, if anyone's interested and hasn't picked it up yet.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

WescottF1 posted:

I think the original premise they were going to use was that Alice went back out to the Camp to get some closure and Jason tailed her back to her place.

That would make more sense and explains the phone call with her mom where Alice argues that "this is just something I need to do."

Still... Jason uses a phone? Tails someone from one location to another? Sets up a 'head in the refrigerator' prank? Moves a tea kettle? It's all a little out-of-character for how he's generally portrayed, but I guess if you can swallow that whole "didn't really drown, saw his mother die" pill then a few character inconsistencies are no biggie.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Saw the movie Friday, and while I'm sure I'll end up giving it a lengthy write-up at my site later, my short opinion is Friday the 13th (2009) forcibly removed my socks.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I have a hard time seeing how someone who grew up loving Jason Voorhees could be disappointed in this film -- it was a 97 minute love-letter to the slasher genre. It was a great big party with an open bar and no cover thrown in Jason's honor, and every fan of the series was invited. Isn't what everyone's been asking for over the last 20 years (at least since part 7) been Jason, scary again, without the gimmicks (e.g., in New York, in space, as a body-jumping slug, vs. Freddy, etc.), back at Crystal Lake carving up horny teenagers? Well, that's what I saw... and I was fuckin' overjoyed and incredibly appreciative as a fan.

Also... I took a picture at the theater.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

Toaster Beef posted:

They lost their poo poo when the title screen came up 20 minutes in, and lost it again at Trent's girly scream.

They did the exact same thing here in DC -- those were the two stand-out moments in terms of audience reaction.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

RichterIX posted:

But The New Blood is my favorite one :(

Same here. If they keep releasing the series in special editions, hopefully we'll finally get to see it uncut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

SkoubyDoo posted:

I also want to echo the love for Jason Goes To Hell (Unrated tent kill trumps all cons :colbert:).

Also, best kill ever is and always will be the machete to the head of the guy in the wheelchair and pushing his dumbass down the stairs. Jason doesn't put up with fakers trying to get some nookie.

I'm making a list of the top slasher kills of all time in another thread... and these two just got added to my list. I can't believe I didn't think of those two before.