Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Thanks a lot fuckers, I hadn't planned on going to see this, but now I think I'm going to catch it this Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Whelp, I think I'm going to see MBV3D tonight.

I just realized that the only horror movie made after 2000 that I've seen has been Land of the Dead. Of course it helps that I've made a point of avoiding all the Saw movies considering that's 90% of the mainstream that has come out this decade.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InfiniteZero posted:

A few mainstream horror films made since 2000:

Hostel
Hostel II
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Cloverfield
Halloween: Resurrection
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X
Jeepers Creepers
Jeepers Creepers 2
The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
High Tension
The Ring
The Ring 2
The Grudge
The Eye
The Omen
The Amityville Horror
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hills Have Eyes Part Two
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
House of Wax
Silent Hill
30 Days of Night
The Mist
Slither
Bug
I Am Legend
Vacancy
Mirrors
Prom Night (ouch)

Those aren't all necessarily good (in fact, most are pretty bad -- except for SLITHER, please rent SLITHER right away if you haven't seen it), but they're all very mainstream horror films (most of the best horror films of the past while haven't been mainstream) released over the past 8 years, and 90% of them are not SAW.

I've actually seen more of those than I thought, although most of them were closer to the beginning of the decade, and I didn't realize they were released after 2000. Most of the ones I've seen either bored me to death and I've blocked the experience from my mind. Some I just couldn't think of as horror, and not even Jessica Alba could save The Eye from putting me to sleep.

Slither has been on my list of movies to see for a long time, I just suck at getting around to renting them nowadays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Saw MBV3D last night, it was definitely fun for the most part. By that I mean the audience I was with sucked. And then the curtain came down during the stinger. :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lizardman posted:

EDIT: Did anyone else notice a flash/spotlight or something sweep over the audience whenever the on-screen killer's helment-mounted light appeared? Maybe it was someone else in the audience trying to be funny but it'd be pretty cool if this was an intentional part of the experience.

Didn't happen at my theater, then again, my curtain dropped when the stinger started. :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PsychoGoatee posted:

I like the TCM2 where Dennis Hopper has a chainsaw battle with Leatherface. :3:

I too like that one... I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and it's not truly horrid like TCM:TNG

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InfiniteZero posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan is also often poo poo on, and not without some valid reason, but I have a soft spot for that one too. The crowd reaction to the guy who punches the poo poo out of Jason only to have his head knocked off with one hit was worth the price of admission.

Yeah, the first time I saw that one I was about 15, and had friends over to watch the last half of the series. When that scene started, one of us predicted that right off the bat, and we all had a good laugh about it being spot on.

EDIT: For the record, I have nothing against Jason Takes Manhattan

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Duke posted:

Jason Goes To Hell is pretty rightly shat on but I have to give it props for the Jason vs. the FBI scene at the start and Jason denting that chick's face with his elbow.

One thing I've always wondered about Jason Goes to Hell is, was what was the crate from Creepshow, and the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis doing under that house?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

timeandtide posted:

Don't forget the whole family angle they took from Halloween, the demonic dagger from Evil Dead 2 being the method to killing Jason, the Brian DePalma dinner shootout, and the John Woo moves. Basically, the directors/writers said "That looks cool" to a lot of things and threw them, especially since Sam Raimi agreed to loan them the Necronomicon.

I never knew that was the real Necronomicon... Then again it's been quite a while since I've seen it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

XIII posted:

The original Paranormal Activity really bothered my roommate, mostly because before we watched it, I managed to convince him it was all 100% legit. I kind of wish I could have watched it with the same mindset, because it had him really freaked out for a couple days

Hell I worked with someone who I couldn't convince that it was fiction. He wouldn't believe me no matter what I told him. Dude was a dumbass anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Defleshed posted:

I love It. The book was amazing and of course touched on things that the miniseries couldn't do justice to in its limited run time, like the Lovecraftian "Old-God" like origins of Pennywise and its existence before the creation of the universe. That is the sort of thing that is truly terrifying in my opinion. I hope the movie does as good a job as I feel the Network Miniseries did. One good thing (if the movie is in fact R rated) is thatit can touch on some of the depravity of tormentors of the kids and their subsequent fall to Pennywise.

Such a good concept. I'm not generally a huge King fan, but It and The Shining... they are the best.

I saw the miniseries before I read the book. After reading it, I was quite disappointed that the miniseries left out that Pennywise was merely one of the many avatars of IT because IT was whatever scared the hell out of you.

I'm not exactly sure if IT can be done justice in a 2 hour movie though.