Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

muscles like this? posted:

So why exactly are they releasing MBV in January instead of say nearer to Valentine's Day?

Friday the 13th has already staked out February 13th, and it wouldn't be that great of an idea to go head to head with the exact same sort of movie.

I'm super excited for these two, but my only problem is convincing any of my friends to see them with me opening night :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

A local theater is showing Friday the 13th part 3 in glorious 3D on February 12th. I'm pondering going to the only feature that could combine the best of FT13th and MBV.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Slasherfan posted:

My Bloody Valentine 3-D opens this coming Friday, so looking forwards to this.

I'm seeing a huge blitz of ads on the big football games this weekend. I hope it does well even though The Unborn just did huge box office this past weekend :shobon:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Should I be annoying and call theaters to ask if they have the 3D for the movie this week, or is it a fair assumption that they're all going to have the glasses and be set up?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

ANOTHER stupid question: there's a 10pm and midnight showing Thursday night, and then normal Friday night type showing. I wonder which would have the best crowd? I'm really worried this is gonna bomb and there will be 10 people in the theater.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

The theater closest to me has the super 3D set up. And if anyone else was wondering onYahoo Movies they have the distinction set up between My Bloody Valentine and MBV 3D.

Anyways, I've got my tickets for 1030PM tomorrow night! I can't wait.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

It was pretty good. I don't regret it at all. Memorable moments:

The radio voiceover going "It's been 10 years..." immediately followed by 'TEN YEARS LATER' on screen.

The sheriff's mistress saying she's pregnant, and that never being brought up again.

The female cop at the sheriff's residence being THE WORST loving POLICE EVER. My friend quipped as she was going to the door "is she loving 12 years old?"

In the supermarket scene, the sheriff's wife waiting until everything was over to consider pressing the alarm.

The sheriff inexplicably hiding behind the divider in the hospital got a huge laugh.

The Whodunnit? was pretty good. At the end I was thinking they were going to turn the horror movie tropes on their head and make the black deputy be the killer, since he hadn't shown up or done anything in a while. There was also that stupid exchange earlier with him and the real killer at the gravesite.

It was worth the time and money, although like everyone else, I think it loses a lot of appeal without the 3D-ness.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Friday box office estimates has it in 3rd with ~$30m for the weekend, which is great.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I'm hoping I win entry into an advance(Thursday night, so not too advance) screening with the two producers(Form & Fuller) and the actor that plays Jason. If I don't get into that one, and maybe even if I do, I'm gonna see it Thursday night at midnight.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I'm going to see it at midnight Thursday night, then when I get home, gonna marathon 1 through freddy vs for the rest of the day! It's only something like 19 hours!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Once you get past VS you should start watching the nightmare movies from a new nightmare down to part one.

I only have 1 and 3 :( I'm a bad slasher fan

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

PsychoGoatee posted:

Definitely put Hatchet on your Friday the 13th playlist. Kane Hodder as Victor Crowley as Jason. :c00lbert:

it's on watch instantly on Netflix. I might be able to work it in somewhere. Maybe betwixt 5 and 6.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Just got back from the midnight showing. It was awesome and basically hit all the right notes aside from a couple minor disappointments.

The music could have been better, but I don't mind that much at all. It pretty seamlessly blended the best parts of 1-3. I was also slightly disappointed at the ending. They kept it pretty much down-to-earth realistic, I was hoping for Jason to go into the woodchipper and still end up coming back for the final scare. On that front, the final scare was incredibly super telegraphed. I was hoping for at least a few minutes of tease, but it was immediate and in the most obvious way.

There were a couple neat callbacks, like actually showing Jason's archery skills, and the wheelchair in the underground tunnels. I also liked the tunnels kind of explaining away his teleporting.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

So, I thought back and got this list of kills from the new movie. I'm a little confused/think I have two of them mixed up. I got the characters from the order on the IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758746/ . This next part is all the kills from the new movie - don't read if you don't want to know who dies and how.

Jenna (torso speared)
Trent (tow trucked)
Chewie (screwed)
Wade (face chopped off)
Bree (got animal horned)
Richie (bear trapped, macheted)
Lawrence (axed)
Nolan (arrowed)
Chelsea (hit with a boat, then head speared)
Mike(stabbed a lot, dragged to hell)
Amanda (burned alive)
Donnie(throat cut)
Officer Bracke(poker through the door)

I might have some of the names mixed up, but I think it's all of them. Kind of cool/fitting that there are 13 murders :banjo:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Slasherfan posted:

Early word has it that Jason scared up 20 million on Friday!

Are you kidding? Pinch me.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

The estimate on Box Office Mojo that just went up says $42m weekend, easily getting first and on of the top rated-R openings ever.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

PsychoGoatee posted:

Part V: A New Beginning is the one with an impostor, thats one you can skip.

It ain't THAT bad, it has some cool kills, and at least has a LOT of them, and not much lovely plot like 7 and Manhattan(8)

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I hate getting into genre dick-waving, but this is more Slashers than Horror.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, and glancing at the disc reviews I'm not, both the Bluray and DVD offer both the 3D and 2D versions.

How do you watch the 3D version at home?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

It's been formatted in the old red/blue standard and comes with, I think, four pairs of fold out glasses. So it won't be the nifty new shutter system used in the new 3D theaters but it's workable.

Eh. This isn't what the studios want to hear, but I have no plans on ever buying a Blu-Ray of a movie released in 3D that I saw in theaters.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Does anyone know anything about the Friday the 13th (2009) release later today? I saw commercials for the Extended Killer Cut, and was curious what more was gonna get added. It doesn't really matter for me, I'm going to most likely blind buy the most expensive Blu-Ray version anyways. But others might be curious.

edit: this review seems pretty comprehensive: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/blu-ray-review-friday-the-13th3/

try the new taco place fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 16, 2009

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I would see H2 if someone gave me $100 and paid for my ticket.

I would pay $100 to see The Final Destination.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Have you guys heard of A Perfect Getaway?

It looks like a fun tropical island murder-fest from the trailers. And the cast is pretty impressive for what is probably a trashy movie- Milla Jovovich, Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant. Well, maybe not impressive, but I'm a fan of all those folks. And the writer/director isn't.... completely terrible.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

FoneBone posted:

It's one of those movies whose ads hype up the twist ending, which is always a turnoff. And it's not too hard to guess what the twist is.

I haven't heard much or seen that ad about the twist ending. I just know that it's a tropical island slasher looking movie. I guess I'll go in media blackout mode until then.

ALSO - has anyone heard of The Collector? I saw a pretty creepy poster for it the other night, and it's opening this Friday in 1500 screens. I tried to look up a really vague plot description, and the IMDB doesn't make it sound really horror-y at all?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I caught Final Destination 3D yesterday, and thought it was by far the best of the series. I was a little disappointed that the 3D was pure gimmickry after seeing it used fairly interestingly in MBV3D. But thinking for a second, the whole series is pure gimmickry so it doesn't really matter.

The mall going to hell, exploding, massacre sequence was awesome and sadly outshined the Nascar crash opening. I would have rather seen that opening. The ending going back to that x-ray vision for the main characters' deaths felt hella cheap. I wanted to see them just torn up. And just having a truck smash them all was a little lazy.

I was laughing my rear end off at the poor tortured security guard and his huge wine glass(?) filled with liquor and AA coin. I wish they could have shown a little more of him being unable to kill himself.

But the kills were pretty cool, I just wish I could have avoided seeing 75% of the deaths in the trailer.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I like 3D since it's something different, and something that can't really be emulated at home. So in that respect, it's really a great success with me. Being in 3D will bump a movie up from wait to rent it to definitely see in theater if I'm even remotely interested.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I've been thinking about checking out Prom Night for laughs, but I think it's kind of worthless to watch if it's not the unrated version. Does anyone know if the version on Netflix Watch is PG13 or Unrated? Or if there really isn't anything better in the Unrated version?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Ape Agitator posted:

The differences are minor enough that you won't be missing anything. Even the Unrated is largely bloodless and almost entirely goreless.
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=358162

Ugh. That's stupid. Thanks, though.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I don't know what crack you/that reviewer are smoking. There is absolutely NO CHANCE IN HELL this movie's gonna be rated PG-13. That reviewer is a moron.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

This is more or less the horror/slasher megathread, so I figure I'd post in here.

Would anyone be down for some Friday the 13th team movie watching, a la the Netflix party stuff tomorrow night? I don't have XBL/Netflix party, BUT we could still watch and/or post about Jason Goes to Hell (on instant watch). I'd also bet a lot of the Jason fans around probably have Friday the 13th 2009 on your DVDs or Blu-Rays. I have all the movies on DVD, and if anyone else is interested, we could watch whichever one(s) people want and/or have available. Last Friday the 13th, I managed to watch from 1-7 in a row before I passed out. If nothing like this comes together, this year I'm aiming for Manhattan, Goes to Hell, X, Freddy vs, and 2009.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Tomero_the_Great posted:

If he's being forced to direct a movie he doesn't want to, what's to stop him from making the worst movie possible on purpose?

If he did this with Saw 7, how the gently caress could anyone tell if he was making the worst movie on purpose or not? :rimshot:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Hockles posted:

So, what does everyone think about the Wolfman movie that is coming out in the next couple weeks? It actually looks like it will be a good movie.

My roommate and I have been making non-stop jokes of the insane line delivery of "I will kill ALL of you" since we saw it on TV.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I really, really love Scream. I'm rewatching it for at least the thirtieth time and I always find new things to like. Also, as a huge movie horror dork, the sheer volume of references and namedrops are endearing.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Happy Friday the 13th. I'm watching 2009 right now. I think the Friday series thread is gone and dead. :(

So far, I'm liking it more than I remembered.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I just rewatched Scream 3 for the first time since the theater, I think. I liked it a lot more than I remember! It gets a little silly and a little more humorous with some of the hollywood / movie making stuff, but I think it's still really clever. It does manage to go through the usual Scream paces with little twists and differences to not seem like a rehash.

I guess I'm ready for Scream 4 now!!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

lizardman posted:

Yeah, Scream 3 is the series embracing the whole "R-rated Scooby Doo" thing. A lot of folks think that's a bad thing, but I dunno, "R-rated Scooby Doo" sounds like a pretty cool idea to me!

I am pretty sure I realized this during the part where the killer was knocked out cold and stabbed the ground in his sleep.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

My body is ready.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I watched 1, 3, 4, and 6. I'm probably going - 8, Freddy, and remake later this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss Monstervision/Up All Night a lot. I don't suppose there's anything like it on TV now?

Svengoolie