Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I saw MBV and enjoyed it for what it was, but there is one plot hole that I can't seem to get over. When the female deputy is outside watching the Palmer house, how in the hell did the retired sheriff know that The Miner was inside the house? The deputy that's been sitting outside the house all night didn't know. Hell, the people inside the house didn't know. I'm thinking there was a scene explaining it that was cut during editing, but I might have missed something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Chunky Delight posted:

Any advance reviews or thoughts about the new Friday the 13th or My Name is Bruce ?

I watch Devin Faraci from CHUD on Twitter, and he saw an advanced screening of Friday the 13th. He loved it. He said it brought Jason back to basics (no longer undead) and was very respectful to the character, while adding some new stuff.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

thethuthinnang posted:

Also, surprised no one listed Friday 4 as their favorite.

It's definitely mine, followed closely by part 6. I think it's the most polished and well-made of the series.

We had cable when part 4 first hit HBO back in like '84. I was only 7 at the time, so I wasn't supposed to watch it, but I snuck up one night and watched it anyway. I was scared shitless of the woods outside my bedroom window for weeks. I genuinely thought he was watching me out there.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I'm not normally a wearer of t-shirts with characters on them, but I got this one last year for my birthday and had to wear it to the movie last Saturday:

http://www.fright-rags.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=27&reviews_id=10

Figured some of you other enjoyers of slasher movies might want one.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
It looks like the Fright Night remake is still on:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43039

The original is still one of my favorite vampire movies, but I can understand the interest in bringing the basic plot to a newer audience. The only way this is going to be decent, though, is if they nail the casting of the new Peter Vincent.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

spixxor posted:

I find it amusing and depressing that the original wall scene looked about 50 times better than THAT poo poo. It makes me wonder what else they'll pointlessly CGI. I was under the impression that practical effects were cheaper than CGI? Why in the name of loving CHRIST doesn't anyone ever do practical effects anymore?

Yeah, I'm willing to give this remake a chance, but the lovely effects of that scene in the trailer scared me. I can only hope that they are REALLY unfinished.

Off subject, does anyone know if there are any plans for a [REC] 2 release in the US, DVD or otherwise? I've been looking forward to seeing that one for awhile.

live nudes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2010

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

QPZIL posted:

The latest I've heard on the remake is that it's starting production late this year, the story will have nothing to do with the original book ("out of respect for Barker's work" or something), and the concept art for Pinhead looks like this:

Jesus. I remember when being a cenobite used to mean something in this town.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I managed to catch Kidnapped recently. It has a level of brutality that I haven't seen since Inside, so if you dig those kinds of movies, you're in for a treat. This one was well made all around, especially the fact that it had several very long scenes that were done in a single take. It's not used as a crutch or a gimmick, though. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I did have to go for a long walk and call my parents to tell them I loved them afterward.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

haunted sleep posted:

Why? I saw [REC] before Quarantine. I don't think one is better than the other, really. I don't think either is terrible, but ultimately they're both rather forgettable.

Sorry, but the last 10 minutes of [REC] easily push it beyond the "forgettable" mark for me. Genre fans aren't exactly flush with quality films, so I think it's important to give the well-crafted ones credit where credit is due. Even if you hate the found footage movies as a whole, I think [REC} did a heck of a lot of things right.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Drunkboxer posted:

I haven't built up the motivation to watch the American [Rec] or the American Let the Right One In. Should I bother?

They aren't bad by any stretch, they just don't have much different from the originals. For some reason I thought Matt Reeves was going to do his own adaptation of the book for Let Me In, but it was reeeaaaly close in style and tone to the Swedish movie.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Craig Spradlin posted:

Okay, my (purely speculative) take:

From the beginning of the the film, Jay was being groomed for a specific role in the ritual at the end.

It was no coincidence that Fiona hit it off with Gal - this gave her a way to get access to Jay. During the dinner party, Fiona carves a symbol into the back of Jay's mirror. Presumably, this serves to "mark" him in some symbolic fashion. Once that has happened, Fiona dumps Gal, but continues to hang out with Shel in order to keep an eye on how things are going with Jay. The idea that the cult is keeping tabs on Jay is further reinforced by his visit to the doctor - that scene gave me a serious Rosemary's Baby vibe.

The contract begins with Jay's blood being mingled with the client's, and this again is part of the ritual designating Jay for his eventual role. My guess is that the ritual requires someone to sacrifice his own wife and child. Gal won't do because he doesn't have either.

All three kills on the list are part of the ritual. Both the priest and the librarian seem to know more than Jay does about what's happening. It may be that they were both part of the cult, and recognize Jay as some sort of ordained sacred executioner. His appearance means that they are intended to be sacrifices, and they're okay with this, which is why they both thank him. The M.P. - presuming that he's the dude in white who turns to face Jay when he starts shooting into the crowd - turns and presents himself as a target. He's the third of the three sacrifices. Gal's death in the ensuing chaos is just collateral damage.

Finally, it is arranged that Jay be placed in a situation where he sacrifices his own wife and child, and this completes his role in the ritual, and presumably the ritual itself, which is most likely intended to bring about something horrible/apocalyptic, etc., hence the client's talk about "reconstruction."

Yeah, basically it's Rosemary's Baby, and Jay is Mia Farrow.

This is more or less what I got out of it, but there's one thing I couldn't figure out - was Shel (the wife) in on it? She seemed to insist that he finish the contract after it went off the rails, and she was laughing when Jay stabbed her to death. If she was in on it, though, I don't get why she was gunning the cult members down as they broke into the cottage.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
You guys have me really excited for Cabin in the Woods. This could turn out to be a really amazing year for genre movies if even half of them turn out to be good.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Xenomrph posted:

For all of us who got to see R-rated movies at a young age, why do you think that was? Cool parents, naive/ignorant parents, parents who just didn't care, etc?

We had one of those independently-owned video rental places in the town I grew up in. Me and my friends would go in every week and rent a bunch of R-rated movies and they wouldn't question us. I guess money was money. We'd watch them at my house before my parents got home from work.

I saw every 80s horror, sci-fi and fantasy movie imaginable by the time I was 13. Even at a young age we were able to appreciate the movies as works of fiction with great practical effects, and not feel the need to act them out in real life.

The only one that really disturbed me was A Clockwork Orange. Even to this day I can't remember why we rented it. The VCR tape cover wasn't particularly interesting. I think it was because the name didn't make any sense. We'd been through pretty much every other movie in the place by then. Anyway, that one stayed with me for awhile, despite its lack of monsters or gore.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Edit: Oh and that whole part of Pet Sematary with Zelda.

Oh yeah, forgot about this scene. That one cost me a couple of nights of sleep.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
Here's a trailer for a new movie called Mama. I didn't know it existed until I saw the trailer this morning, but I'm really intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Am7i7uM9r0

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
Here's another great horror trailer. I have to say that this is one of the most effective uses of sound editing I've seen in awhile. It completely sells you on the film without a single word. I actually looked over my shoulder a couple of times after this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cRjDrCezc

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I once rented Puppet Masters 1 through 5 and watched them all in a weekend. No idea why I did that, but I haven't had any interest in revisiting the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

The Senator Giroux posted:

Hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like we're getting another Friday the 13th reboot, this time (most likely) in found footage flavor.

http://www.thewrap.com/friday-the-13th-reboot-vhs-director-david-bruckner

The director, David Bruckner, is the one who did Amateur Night in V/H/S.

Doesn't look like anything is finalized yet.

Huh...I'd heard this rumor months ago, but I always thought it would be a sequel to the 2009 reboot. That one was pretty good, I don't see why they'd have to reboot it yet again.