Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hockles posted:

Then, I saw the trailer and saw that Jason sprinted, and that made me even more pissed.
As others have said, you know that he runs around in the original films too, right? It's also implied that he can move inhumanly fast because of the way somebody will see him in the distance and then he's standing two feet away from them (although I will admit I prefer when we're left wondering how the gently caress he moved so fast).

Awesome Andy posted:

Anyone else notice in the friday the 13th trailer the shot of jason as he drops the wrapped up body on the ground and turns around hes wearing a burlap sack over his head?
That looked pretty cool.
That's what he wore originally in Part Two and for a lot of Part Three too.

Oh and while I'm at it, I suspect that the one and only good thing about the MBV remake is that we're getting a proper special edition DVD of the original because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

UncleMonkey posted:

Oh goddamnit, that is incredibly bad news. Lionsgate is right up there with Anchor Bay and Blue Underground as being a godsend to horror fanatics.
Anchor Bay and Blue Underground are DVD distributors and Lions Gate is a theatrical film distributor. They serve different purposes. Anchor Bay and Blue Underground also actually respect the horror fanbase and don't shovel poo poo out the door.

UncleMonkey posted:

Every piece of poo poo that's ever come out under their banner has been more than justified by the risks they've taken on some great horror flicks.
Really? They've been responsible for shovelling some really contrived poo poo out the door: "Disaster Movie"? "My Best Friend's Girl"? "Bangkok Dangerous"? The "Larry The Cable Guy" movies? "Deliver Us From Evil"? Besides the "SAW" series, what "great horror flicks" have they distributed? The weak "Hostel" sequel that killed the franchise? The lame remake of "The Eye"? The upcoming even lamer remake of "My Bloody Valentine"?

UncleMonkey posted:

If Lionsgate goes under, that is a huge, huge loss for us.
Or at least a huge loss for all the people who were really pumped about "Guys 'N Divas: Battle of the High School Musicals".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

I think it would be funny if MBV was a big hit and Lionsgate released one every year around Feb 14th.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a sure bet. With the guy who did "White Noise 2: The Light" behind the wheel, how can we go wrong?

I do think that the film be remembered for one thing -- it will kill any prospect of any sort of resurgence of 3D horror films.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

And James Cameron made 'Piranha 2: The Spawning', what's your point?

Piranha 2 had flying piranhas in it and was therefore clearly an act of genius from the start.

My point therefore still stands, unless White Noise 2 also contains some sort of genius, but I'm not sure if the "2" designates its order in the franchise or the total box office for the film and I'm not among the 2.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

The Unborn just did huge box office this past weekend :shobon:
The (possibly NSFW) poster probably helped a bit .

Slasherfan posted:

My Bloody Valentine 3-D opens this coming Friday, so looking forwards to this.
And even better, the original uncut DVD is available tomorrow.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

ANOTHER stupid question: there's a 10pm and midnight showing Thursday night, and then normal Friday night type showing. I wonder which would have the best crowd? I'm really worried this is gonna bomb and there will be 10 people in the theater.
I'd go on the Friday if you want the genre crowd.

Even better option (if you live in Toronto) -- go and see the original, uncut film at The Bloor on Thursday.

EDIT -- Answering my own question, Scott Weinberg has reviewed this, and he gave it a good review: "So obviously it's not high art, and it's certainly not for all tastes, but if you're an old-school horror fan and you thought this remake was a really stupid idea, I recommend you give the flick a shot and tell me if you don't end up a little bit surprised at how fun the flick is. 3-D doo-hickeys aside, and judging My Bloody Valentine by the yardstick it deserves, I'd call it a very amusing retro-slasher bloodbath that absolutely delivers on all of its promises."

Interesting, I had been in the "really stupid idea" camp.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 14, 2009

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Nolgthorn posted:

It's a true and worthy sequel to the series.
Thanks for the recommendation, although I'm not sure if a filmmaker would have to worry too hard about making a film that's "worthy" of the series (and I say this as a big fan). That's kinda like saying "this new 3-D shark film is certainly worthy of Jaws 3-D!".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

I just realized that the only horror movie made after 2000 that I've seen has been Land of the Dead. Of course it helps that I've made a point of avoiding all the Saw movies considering that's 90% of the mainstream that has come out this decade.
The Saw films aren't 90% of the horror mainstream. They're just the movies that the media who have no appreciation for the genre believe are the "only" or "90% of" the movies out there.

A few mainstream horror films made since 2000:

Hostel
Hostel II
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Cloverfield
Halloween: Resurrection
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X
Jeepers Creepers
Jeepers Creepers 2
The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
High Tension
The Ring
The Ring 2
The Grudge
The Eye
The Omen
The Amityville Horror
The Hills Have Eyes
The Hills Have Eyes Part Two
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
House of Wax
Silent Hill
30 Days of Night
The Mist
Slither
Bug
I Am Legend
Vacancy
Mirrors
Prom Night (ouch)

Those aren't all necessarily good (in fact, most are pretty bad -- except for SLITHER, please rent SLITHER right away if you haven't seen it), but they're all very mainstream horror films (most of the best horror films of the past while haven't been mainstream) released over the past 8 years, and 90% of them are not SAW.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Well, my curiousity got the best of me last night, so I went and saw this.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. It was a proper slasher film! My earlier disdain for the concept of this remake has been pleasantly proven wrong.

The remake definitely suffered from the lack of Moosehead Beer product placement (it's ALL OVER the original, if you haven't seen it), but it did have the rather comical scene with the actress who was naked for (I think) her entire screentime. The original was nudity free.

The acting was bad (BONUS! my personal favourite bit of bad horror movie acting -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLICoFgb2s), and the direction was shoddy, but it was never really a deal breaker. The biggest laugh from the audience came when Axel magically and awkwardly appeared from behind the curtain in the hospital.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but it was alright -- I definitely preferred the original sillier ending. Overall I had a fun time and would recommend the film to the few stragglers who haven't seen it.

Oh yeah, and before the film started one of the trailers was for the new "Friday the 13th" remake and I had never seen that trailer. I think it was the first time I've ever seen a trailer remake. That was what the original trailer for the original film looked like (with the numbers counting up to 13). I thought that was clever and although I didn't really need an extra push to convince me to check it out, that was a nice nod from the remakers (is that a word?).

Final note: I also recently checked out the new DVD of the uncut original MBV and it looks great. The restored scenes stick out like a sore thumb because the quality really drops, but it was great to finally see that film the way I was supposed to.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Whispering Machines posted:

I give it points for being the only movie that I have seen (there's probably others, I just haven't seen them) where, once she realized that something wasn't right, she slipped out of the slinky nighty and actually put some drat jeans and a tshirt on.

You watch slasher films hoping to see realistic character motivation?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Friday the 13th Part Six is also notable for the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all and is arguably the funnest entry in the series. I will probably always consider this to be my favourite, but I'm tainted by my memory of seeing it on opening night sitting up in the balcony of my old favourite theatre and generally having a fantastic time with it.

Jason Takes Manhattan is also often poo poo on, and not without some valid reason, but I have a soft spot for that one too. The crowd reaction to the guy who punches the poo poo out of Jason only to have his head knocked off with one hit was worth the price of admission.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

thethuthinnang posted:

The only person I've been able to imagine playing Freddy is Hugh Laurie.
I still think that the best option would be Robert Englund. It's not like his age would really matter under the makeup, and he's still got moves (see - "Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer").

thethuthinnang posted:

Also, surprised no one listed Friday 4 as their favorite. Little Corey Feldman practicing for his career as a Frog Brother.
Part Four is definitely the most vicious of the series I think.

thethuthinnang posted:

I'll have to check out 7 again since so many people listed it as their favorite.
Carrie vs. Jason!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kentucky Shark posted:

And I am one of those who thinks Friday the 13th Part 4 is the best in the series. It has the most gruesome kills, is one of the few in the series that is intentionally funny at times
Part VI is played mostly as a comedy actually.

Kentucky Shark posted:

and has that awesome Crispin Glover dancing scene.
This is actually great because if you're a fan of Glover, you get him being his weird self, and you get the dance, and if you're NOT a fan (who are these monsters?!?), you get to see him take a cleaver to the face (and he gets some serious hand trauma too if I remember correctly).

Other controversial actors should take these kinds of roles. Like, I'd go and see Tom Cruise films if I he acted like himself through most of the movie and then got a cleaver in the face. I probably would have enjoyed Jerry MacGuire if there was a face/cleaver scene in it somewhere. Man, I might have sat through Twilight if that Robert Pattinson kid got a cleaver in the face towards the end. Actually, no ... Twilight is the exception.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 6, 2009

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darko posted:

5 is too, actually. And even it has it's moments like the guy getting so mad at the guy at the beginning of the movie that he just goes and kills him, or Miguel A. Nunez singing to his girlfriend and getting attacked in the outhouse.
I might have to revisit Part V now. I'm never going to get around to actually watching His Name Was Jason at this rate, because I keep having to go back to the films.

I noticed last night that at two of my local stores, they completely sold out of a good pile of the reissues of the first Friday and the sequel. There were lots of Part IIIs around though. That's weird, I always liked Part III, even with its faults, and I was excited to get a 3D version of it on DVD (and for those that haven't bought it -- the glasses themselves are hilarious by the way: they are made to look like Jason's mask, with the little red detail between the eyes and everything).

The documentary was almost untouched at both stores. Oh well. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

qbert posted:

I've seen all of the Friday the 13th movies and the kills are generally always quick, no?

The kills normally are really quick in these films. Sometimes the camera lingers, but the scenes certainly aren't protracted. I think they were generally played for a quick shock rather than a lingering squeamishness.

There were exceptions though, like Agitator mentioned, such as Kevin Bacon's scene, the wheelchair, and the infamous sleeping bag kill. I've heard from people that this film has a really vicious Jason in it, but it will be hard to top the viciousness of the sleeping bag kill.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I thought it was OK, if not a bit disappointing. I had two main problems with the film:

First of all, the shaky cam effects were too over the top. To be fair, shaky cam has been in most of the F13 series, starting with kill number one in the very first film. My problem with it in 2009 was that it shook so much that it was disorienting and you couldn't really see what was going on, which I thought was a cop out for a F13 film.

More importantly, I was disappointed by the whole Texas Chainsaw Massacre elements thrown into the film, with the old houses filled with weird stuff (again, yeah -- I know that Jason builds a weirdo shrine in Part II, but it didn't look like a reused TCM set), Jason trapping somebody in the basement and tying her to a chain, and even the Leatherface head tilts when he confronts her.

Now, Rob Zombie has a fair claim to having TCM on his mind while making a film. He is clearly obsessed with the films (especially Part II) but unlike Nispel, he hasn't actually properly remade it yet. I would have hoped that Nispel would have gotten it out of his system by now. Don't misunderstand me, I love the original TCM (and TCM2 -- and even Nispel's remake), but that doesn't mean that I want Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers to act like Leatherface and I don't go into every horror film hoping for a hideout that looks like Leatherface's hideout and weirdo hillbillies to be running around.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 17, 2009

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darko posted:

Wait, what? Okay, this is getting ridiculous, any handheld cam is now known as "shaky cam?"
A handheld cam shot on its own will shake a bit. A scene where the cam is deliberately shaken for an effect is a shaky cam. The old F13s had handheld scenes, and even a few shaky cam scenes. The new F13 had shaky cams all over the place. I found them distracting.

Darko posted:

This movie didn't really use any quick cuts (Batman Begins) or purposely shaky shots (Bourne). The difference between this and the old ones was that it was shot more heavily in shadow, and the kills were "faster" (the older ones had lots of shots of Jason sloooooowwwwlly harpooning and the like).
I guess we disagree.

Darko posted:

However, that's the Michael Meyers head tilt, which was stolen by Kane Hodder for Jason in 7. So you've got it all out of order.
Leatherface does the same sort of thing at Sally in the original TCM, which predates both films by quite a bit.

Darko posted:

I agree in execution. But to be fair, when you combine parts 1-4 of Friday the 13th, you -do- get a lot of those elements including hillbillies (you need Crazy Ralph, after all), shrines, etc. However, I didn't like them looking so much like TCM stuff, I agree.
Crazy Ralph is essential, I agree, and I also agree that you can have all of that stuff without recycling TCM stuff.

The other shot I found sort of unintentionally funny was the one where you see Jason standing on top of the porch holding the machete. He looked like a french swashbuckler more than anything else.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

max4me posted:

well when the main character is dead, it makes writing something of a challege.

Not necessarily in the horror genre. People would probably line up for ghost Jigsaw or zombie Jigsaw or demon Jigsaw or whatever.

max4me posted:

They really should retire that francise and try something new.

From an artistic perspective -- yes, but from a business perspective, they can probably still pump out these films at an alarming rate and still make money.

And there's no real need to get into a debate over which factor is more important to the studio.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

spixxor posted:

Welp the new Nightmare on Elm Street has wrapped shooting. (And yet it still doesn't come out until April? Does it really take that long to add the special effects and edit? Christ.) I can't remember where I read it but word is the new Freddy is supposed to be revealed at Comic-con. We shall see.

You partially answered your own question. When a movie wraps, there is all sorts of post-production, but there's also all of the promotional work (and hype) that has to go into it. The studio will want to build some interest before just dropping it into theatres.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

spixxor posted:

Another Freddy pic, with glove!

...dammed if I'm not pretty excited about this thing now.

It's almost as if a slow hype machine is at work instead of just dropping the movie into theaters and expecting it to "market itself" ...

(sorry, I had to mention that)

The poster does look pretty cool. Sadly, so did the poster for the F13 remake. What do I know though, I was all apalled about the MBV remake, and that one turned out well. Time will tell I guess.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

Holy poo poo Giallo was bad, how bad? John Landis walked out after 10 minutes.

I've actually heard that Argento himself regrets the film already. I'm not joking either. It must be a colossal mess.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Correct. They (the Platinum Dunes dudes) have stated that the next Friday film will indeed take place during winter.

In a highly ironic twist, Jason will finally be killed once and for all when a hockey puck hits him in the face.

During the closing credits, Martin Brodeur will explain to the kids why a cage is the way to go.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

foodfight posted:

Is there a general horror discussion thread? I just watched Pieces and well, holy CRAP.

I believe that this used to be a thread specifically related to slashers ... I don't know if it's really a derail to talk about older films. In the case of Pieces at least, it was recently re-released on DVD.

I think that "Pieces" is an amazing horror film. Horrible acting, gratuitous nudity, questionable character motivations, obvious red herrings, a non-sequitir karate attack, and the best ending in all of horror.

Also:

BASTARD! BASSSSTTTAAARRRRRD!!!!!! BBBAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

The Grindhouse Releasing 2 DVD edition is fantastic too. Packed with special features, easter eggs, and that weird way where you can watch the movie with an audience track included so you can hear the laughter and gasps from a live theatre.

If you have the Grindhouse Releasing edition, do yourself a favour too and check out the trailers included -- especially the one for "Massacre Mafia Style" which is one of the best trailers ever. I've watched that trailer over and over and I worry now that the movie could never possibly live up to it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
My vote goes to Horror Squad because it has a real nice layout, it's well written, and most importantly the head writer is Scott Weinberg who I think is the best critic out there right now (who also happens to love horror).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tony Danza Claus posted:

While everyone's on a Dead Snow kick, does anyone remember the Italian zombie movie with nazi zombies in the snow?

Maybe The Frozen Dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owk9CNzi2o8

My favourite Nazi zombie film has still got to be Shockwaves. I was fascinated by the poster as a kid, and it has Peter Cushing in it! And they're water zombies!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasn't this same exact thing said before TFD was made?

Pretty much anything that gets stale and unoriginal gets marketed this way really.

Are people resenting your remake?
Tell them that you're going back to what made the original great!

Are you constantly repeating yourself?
Tell people that you're actually "going back to basics", regardless of what you're doing.

The same thing happens with music. If you believe the marketers, U2 hasn't made an album that isn't "going back to what the fans want" since about 1990 (even when they were putting out songs like "Discotheque", it was hyped as something that would sound "a lot like WAR!"), for example.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Girthy posted:

I just watched the trailer for 'Srpski Film' (the movie's name translated is 'Serbian Film').

Weinberg's review name dropped Haneke which sounds like it might fit here. The thing is, if the movie is anything like Haneke and attempts to indict genre fans for their own taste for the shocking, I wonder if it won't go over rather poorly. Horror fans don't like to be judged and tend to reject films that try do so. Almost everybody else won't have the stomach for it, and the film might die on the vine.

Strictly speculation of course, but I keenly remember how well Funny Games went over (for this and other reasons to be fair).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Boinks posted:

I was really looking forward to more F13 movies :(

Watching the hugely superior original series of films over and over is much more effective and fun though. It's not like the remake broke any new ground, save for the inclusion of scientifically enhanced boobs.

Maybe somebody can hire people at ILM to digitally create "Enhanced" versions of the original series so all of the actresses (except for Pamela Voorhees of course) would have CG enhanced boobs? That would be just as good. I guess they could also add some nu-Metal to the soundtrack too. Seeing Crispin Glover dance to Slipknot would be sort of cool.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tony Danza Claus posted:

That's a horrible idea made of suck.

Oh I know this, but it's what the kids want!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

By the by, Friday the 13th: A New Beginning sucked rear end.

This is crazy talk. CRAZY TALK. The whole movie is validated by Debi Sue Voorhees' nude scene alone.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 28, 2010

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Volume posted:

This looks pretty cool. Though I'm upset that I checked out the IMDB page. There's already people bitching that it's a Cabin Fever rip off based off the fact that there's a cabin.

By that train of thought, Cabin Fever is a rip off of Evil Dead.

Evil Dead: The Musical has a really catchy song right at the start called "Cabin In The Woods" and whenever I see that poster, I hear the song in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLvGfYJOU0

(you can see other versions of it properly on YouTube, but I'm a fan of the Toronto cast)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Waterhaul posted:

There's finally a proper trailer for Piranha 3D which despite the dodgy CGI looks like a lot of fun.

New films with monsters in them that don't use CGI should advertise as such right on the poster. I'd be more likely to go. Even just this weekend, the new Nightmare on Elm Street was ruined by the CGI (and a host of other problems).

I understand that CGI is cheap, but it just looks so pathetic in most horror films now, is it really worth it? Is it worth it to completely ruin a film? Didn't we get by for years without it and have amazing films that didn't rely on it at all?

I'm not saying it can't be done either, I'm just saying there's been an epidemic of really pathetic CGI over the past few years in horror especially.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Local Group Bus posted:

On the subject of remakes I don't care what anyone says My Bloody Valentine rocked and I hope like hell there is another one. The ending with the is it him? Or him? poo poo, hang on .. maybe it isn't him at all, it is? gently caress! was one of the better slasher reveals.

BONUS POINTS: one of the actresses is nude throughout her entire appearance in the film (and she's in there for a few minutes).

EXTENDED NUDITY ... in 3D!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

Trailer for I Spit On Your Grave http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/ispitonyourgrave/

I spit on your remake.

Not as a matter of principle (I go to see remakes, I'm complicit in their popularity), but because this one is unnecessary and looks really bad right out of the gate.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Volume posted:

Seriously gently caress this article. It basically reduces THC to nothing but torture porn.

Any horror film that has violence in it is now referred to as "torture porn", especially in the mainstream media. I loving hate that incredibly lazy label that people have attached to modern horror films. So many mainstream critics are completely dismissive of the genre, the last thing it needed was a quick and easy way to be dismissive by just tossing out a hackneyed term.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
File this under "one of the worst ideas ever":
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/17/george-romero-remaking-dario-argentos-deep-red-in-3d/

Deep Red doesn't need to be in 3D, and Romero hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park lately anyway. In the meantime, Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D, and in other news I'm planning on barricading myself inside my house with plans to never go out again because the world has obviously gone crazy.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I can't but feel that this whole thing is born from the Twilight fad and this constant obsession with aiming vampires at frustrated teens.

Sure, but I think that frustrated teens aren't going to be very interested in a vampire film made by a 70 year old Italian man who has arthouse leanings and a propensity for dream logic in his films that often feature women in peril and people being cut up.

I'm a big Argento fan myself (see: Giallo thread obviously) but I'm not very excited about Dracula 3D. However, I'm about a million times more excited about Dracula 3D than I am about George A Romero's Deep Red 3D.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2010

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

forever whatever posted:

There's a midnight showing of the Human Centipede in my town tomorrow night. I already watched it online but I sort of want to go just to gauge the audience's reaction...I hated it so hard when I first saw it but I somehow feel compelled to witness it again, on a huge screen...I hate myself.

Even lovely horror films are better with a big audience though. The shared experience amplifies everything. Don't hate yourself ... yet.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Patton Oswalt had a great horror related post on his Twitter the other day:

Patton Oswalt posted:

When does the HUMAN CENTIPEDE video game come out for the Wii?

That could surpass Wii Tennis or Rock Band as the ultimate party game!

FEED HER! FEED HER!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I think it's interesting that both Rob Zombie's films and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 are being disparaged at the same time.

Why?

Because I believe that Rob Zombie has spent the majority of his directorial career attempting to recreate The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. The themes (people in peril from a family of rednecks), the directorial style (garish and rock-video-esque), the over the top, almost cartoon like violence (see the aforementioned scenes with Dennis Hopper), drug crazed characters, and even some of the actors (Bill Moseley) -- it's all there. Watch TCM2 and HO1TC as a double feature sometime and I think you'll be struck by the parallels in style.

Memories ...

I remember going to TCM2 when it was first released in theatres and loved it. Sure, it has a weird vibe (which Rob Zombie is clearly obsessed with), but at least it's its own film. I can see how it's been sort of lost now considering that it's no masterpiece and will always pale in the shadow of its predecessor, but it's a really underrated film in my books. I was really excited when "The Gruesome Edition" DVD showed up a couple of years ago.

Oh and if you want a crappy TCM, go no further than Leatherface. Now there was some garbage. Even though it had BMK's main man in it, there was no saving that film. Oh and yes, I know all about the Matthew McConaughey TCM film from the 90s, but nobody actually saw it anyway and I don't even count that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ITS WEEKEND DAD posted:

According to MTV, the World War Z movie is moving forward with Brad Pitt now starring in it

If you didn't already know -- Brad Pitt personally optioned the book for a movie adaptation so it's not really a huge surprise that he'll end up being in it.

That said, I think the whole zombie thing is finally fading again (because everybody loves VAMPIRES now) and the timing for this film is sort of off, especially with Darabont doing The Walking Dead.