Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The My Bloody Valentine remake will be about as good as The Fog remake, but like an idiot I'll pay for this one too. Friday the 13th looks like it will be quality, and a real throwback to the early flicks where it's tits, gore and drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cool kids inc. posted:

I did a little happy dance when I saw Padalecki was in Friday the 13th. I had no idea, and he's my favorite Winchester boy after all. From the previews they're making it out for him to be one of the one's who makes it out, what with the whole "who took my sister, I'll find my sister, I found my sister" thing.

And yeah I'm totally sold on My Bloody Valentine 3-D because the concept is hilarious to me.

You know the other Winchester is in Bloody Valentine, right? :)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Does anyone even get killed with a meat cleaver in The New Blood, or for that matter, an axe in Takes Manhattan? I'm pretty sure the rest are accurate

edit: actually, I think the pickaxe on part II is wrong too. I can't remember anyone getting it with a pickaxe in any of the Friday movies.

The surly prophetic ship hand takes an axe in the back in 8.

I kind of like those boxes but I'm not in the UK and I already have my boxed set so whatever.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WescottF1 posted:

They're also somehow releasing part 3 in 3D on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Part-3-3-D/dp/B001K9OXEE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230756423&sr=8-1

Might be worth checking out..

I thought for sure that because of how this was shot it would be impossible to ever release in 3D.

Boinks posted:

Maybe Roy was possessed by the Jason demon baby like in Jason Goes to Hell. God that was retarded. I wonder if trying to explain Friday 5 had any influence in that.

The Demon Baby was pretty retarded. In the commentary the writer and director even kind of :ughh: at that. However, I love that movie. If you keep all the kills and the basic flow and just replace Jason with the random zombies it'd be cool.

Also get rid of that creepy shaving scene.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 4, 2009

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CH CH CH DOUBLE POST HA HA HA

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey are there any good website for horror news other than BloodyDisgusting?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I watched MBV to get in the mood for tomorrow night, which I haven't seen in forever. I could have sworn there was a kill where someone takes a bayonet through the mouth, but clearly I'm thinking of another movie. Help which one is it :(

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

The Prowler Maybe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiwvv8eMf8s
If he want's you, he'll find you.

YES. I knew you'd know.

EDIT: Same kinda mask threw me off. God I can't believe how much 80s trailers gave away.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 16, 2009

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How closely to the original does it follow plot-wise. Feel free to use spoilers to the full extent to answer this one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

Wow, I really liked this movie, it was a hell of a lot of fun.
Had some great chase sequences and some cool kills. I kind of wished they had some more creative deaths though.
My biggest complaint was probably the ending when they revealed who the killer was, that was very disapointing.

I pretty much agree with all of this. If they really wanted to swerve us they would have had it be Harry Warden for reals this time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cool kids inc. posted:

I laughed pretty heartily at most of the kills, along with the screaming I was doing. The poor people behind us were probably pretty worried about me and my friend.

We got a nice preview for Friday the 13th too, so it was overall a great experience. I haven't had that much fun at the movies in a long time!

I about pissed myself when the dwarf got killed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Back from an advanced screening and I can't say that I really liked it at all and I'm a huge Voorhees nut. It really is a different movie. I guess if I never saw any of the other 13ths I might have enjoyed it but...eh.

The writers obviously drew heavily from 3 and 4 which was a great idea, but I guess I just can't move on from those fun flicks I grew up with. This one is grittier and it's just not the Jason I grew up to. A fine horror movie on whole and the crowd seemed to enjoy it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea and it won't get a spot next to my boxed set.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PsychoGoatee posted:

Definitely put Hatchet on your Friday the 13th playlist. Kane Hodder as Victor Crowley as Jason. :c00lbert:

No don't. The whole movie is a John Carl Buechler/Kane Hodder bro five. It's like watching the final projects presentation at the Savini FX school.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

qbert posted:

I've seen all of the Friday the 13th movies and the kills are generally always quick, no?

Yes, this is the thing I really disliked about Jason. I want him to be a quick, perfect killing machine, not some thinking torture/trap killer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So is this like the designated horror thread now? Cause I just wanted to recommend a great (Portugese? Spanish?) horror flick called Shiver that I grabbed off instant Netflix that was surprisingly good. I guess it's kind of a slasher flick.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pet Rock Band posted:

I hate getting into genre dick-waving, but this is more Slashers than Horror.

Uhhh. It's not comedy it's slapstick?

Slasherfan you should do a Horror Megathread II so that we avoid any stupidity that's going to happen here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just putting this out there, "Graduation Day" is the best slasher in history. You can get it on Netflix instant queue and I have to recommend it. It's so loving funny all the way through.

Also I've been going through all of the Masters of Horror. While there are only like two or three good ones, most of the rest are just hilarious, like Jenifer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

I can't trust the opinion of someone that praises Hatchet and bashes the Ft13th remake in the same review (Hatchet was terrible).

I had this same cringe. I'm really looking forward to this but I hated both Hatchet and the Friday remake.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey guys is Left For Dead as awesome as it was supposed to be.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

wormil posted:

Try the proper sub-forum and thread; and yes.

Isn't that new movie with the chrome-skull killer called Left For Dead? Cause that's what I meant.

EDIT: It's Laid To Rest. I'm an idiot. Was it good?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It's a "Check your brain at the door" kind of Slasher, I happened to love it but a lot of people hate it.

Some fantastic gore effects though and the cast is decent enough except the lead chick who's pretty loving terrible.

Is it a straight-up slasher or should I expect a bunch of HOLY poo poo TWIST moments?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the general consensus is that once he's reanimated by a bolt of lightning he's a zomb.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wow Laid to Rest is bad. That's what I get I guess for listening to Bloody Disgusting who was getting paid to plaster ads for the movie all over the site.

BD Rating: 9.5
Average User Rating: 5

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Duke posted:

I didn't think Laid to Rest was that bad, other than the acting by the lead girl and a few other characters. The deaths were pretty good for the most part and while the killer was kind of retarded looking, his mean spirited streak was enough for me to look past that.

Every single character was retarded and made the worst decisions. Also the killer was omnipresent/omniscient. I know, I know, SLASHER FLICK, but after BD hyped it up so hard it ended up being extremely disappointing. Though I laughed my face off at the Face split in half

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

UncleMonkey posted:

So you guys want to see a nice gory pick from FD4? This is kinda spoiler-y, so don't click on the link if you want to go into the movie knowing as little as possible. Also, I put NWS tags on it just to be safe. There's no nudity or anything. But it's gory, so, you know, yada yada yada your own discretion and all that jazz.

:nws:http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32461/spoiler-y-image-from-the-final-destination:nws:

That is so fake looking I can't believe it's actually going to be used in a movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Final Destination 4 was a complete piece of poo poo. I saw it for free and want reparations. One and two were good because they had a plot outside of just mindless death scenes. Three and four don't even pretend to try.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't see Halloween II but I kinda hated the first one so v:sigh:v

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

mexicanmonkey posted:

Final Destination was really fun, you guys are sour pusses.

Sorry, I need something in between ridiculous effects shots. Plus some of the kills were somehow too over the top for me. I think II had the perfect ridiculousness of kills matched with tense plot while one was a legit scary horror flick.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shrooms is absolutely terrible for all the reasons detailed in the frontpage review and more.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah Sorority Row isn't bad. Certainly better than Halloween II and is a pretty fun romp. It's comparable to Black Christmas redux except this got fun slasher remake right.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cold Prey is loving awesome. I just watched it and I'm in the middle of two as I type this. I'm not sure I dig that the killer is still alive after what he went through considering the rest of the movie(s) really avoid a lot of horrible slasher tropes, but I'm willing to excuse it. My only fear is that this is going to have a Haute Tension ending.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

I sort of agree but I forgive 2 for having
1. Very well devolped characters
2. Some serious edge of your seat sequences.
3. Some nifty kills

Absolutely. This is the first slasher where there were almost no throwaway cannon fodder characters. Plus they didn't all make stupid decisions. It was a really fresh slasher movie. At least they gave some explanation for why he came back to life though. I appreciate that the movie is trying to stay in the realm of realism.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

Which one do you think is better 1 or 2?

Probably one, but I'd say they both flow together really well as one movie. I think the pacing was better in the first one. I really loved the last ten minutes of 2 though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

MTV are airing a slasher movie called MY Super Psycho Sweet 16.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33848/mtvs-my-super-psycho-sweet-16-premiering-this-month

They did this with a Real World horror movie some years ago. It was HORRIBLE.

Also Wrong Turn 2 might be the most fun I've had with a slasher in a while.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There are no bad F13s, just ones worse than others, like five and six.

Anyway I'm watching Legion now and I love the concept and the ideas it puts up but the movie is a pretty paint by numbers "fortress horror/action" flick.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've read spoilers for Descent 2 and I have zero interest in seeing it. The first one tells such a nice, neatly packaged story that adding to it, especially adding THAT to it, isn't worth my time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just saw House of the Devil. Good movie, loved how it was shot. Really enjoyed just how eighties it was. But once the proverbial poo poo hit the fan it actually got a lot worse. It had a great build up and atmosphere, then a bunch of stuff happened at once and the climax was minimal. Plus, do they really expect me to believe bitch lived through a gunshot wound that went right through her skull with a gun that literally blew a girl's face off from that range an hour before?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

JammyLammy posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This movie has to be the most boring piece of crap ever put on film. It has taught me that Rob Zombie not only fails at music, but also fails spectacularly at movie making also.

I think I'm the only person who couldn't get into "Let the right one in". A pet peeve about children in movies for me. Are kids dicks? Yeah, totally. But are they as cruel as they are depicted in these movies? Not really =/

I actually agree with you on both of these. I think all of Rob's movies are loving pathetic and Let The Right One In didn't do a thing for me but not for the reason you mentioned.

Anyway, what ever happened to that movie about the guy with cancer who sets up cameras in his house? It looked really scary and was getting some press around when Paranormal Activity got big and then...nothing?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

IceNiner posted:

Do any of you goons think that the upcoming Splice looks just like a remake of Species?

Has anybody heard or seen anything that makes it worth watching beyond mere popcorn movie value?

Yes and no. The commercials absolutely make it look like Species with no hot naked chick but I saw an extended preview before MacGruber and it looked way more interesting than anything else I'd seen had made it out to be. Looked to be way more than just "monster breaks loose, kills some people."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Technetium posted:

How did you like Hatchet 1 in comparison to the second. I ask just because I absolutely hated the first one but I know some liked it so that would colour opinions on this new one.

I'm with you. After listening to F13:New Blood's commentary JC Buechler and Kane Hodder seem like two fat fratboys who like to high five. And this movie is like the culmination of their horror circle jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about Carriers as I was watching it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not so much horror, I guess, but still unsettling and scary.