Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crown Royal posted:

I don't know about the new Jason film. The trailer played out almost exactly like the Texas Chainsaw remake, which Bay also produced and was terrible.

But it wasn't terrible, though. It just wasn't as good as the original. And this is directed by the same guy.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was actually a decent horror/stalker film, and probably the best of that immediate era. Unfortunately, it missed what made the original great and will always compare unfavorably against it. It's twice as good as any of the sequels to the original movie.

The prequel-sequel, on the other hand, was not good at all.

The advantage of the Friday the 13th remake is that the original (or the second or third, since it seems to be combining all three) wasn't really good at all, so there's nothing to compare it to. The trailer makes it look like the best Friday the 13th movie as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crown Royal posted:

Well, I'm not crazy about the original, so it wasn't a case of comparing the two and being left disappointed that the new one didn't match up. I just found nothing entertaining about the remake. It's pretty boring for a horror film.

And it's too bad because I really enjoyed some recent remakes like Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead.

Dawn of the Dead was legitimately a good movie with a few questionable scenes, though.

I don't see how you would like the Hills Have Eyes remake and not the TCM remake, though. They're essentially the same basic thing and are uneven in pretty much the same way. They even have the exact same strengths (strong cinematography). In fact, if anything, I preferred TCM because it had a genuinely entertaining villain (R. Lee) unlike THHE's boring mutants, while not having anything quite as annoying as magical vengeful dogs and mutant rape.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The original The Thing is rather goofy and flawed. it crepped me out as a little kid, though.

Slasherfan posted:

Isn't The Thing a remake?

In name, but it really is a (better) adaptation of Who Goes There (novel). It takes almost nothing from the original The Thing and instead just adapts the book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't like Jason X because of that reason (and because the cinematography is horrible). Part 6 straddled the self aware area perfectly, I think - X was a little TOO stupid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ugh, you like part 3? I'd say that was the worst of the early ones; every kill was slowly COMING AT THE SCREEN or badly paced, most of the kills were first person, which had gotten old after the first two, and pointless, and the climax was probably the worst of the first 4. The consensus is basically that 4 is the best of the "living" Jason ones, and 6 is the best of the "zombie" Jasons.

5 gets the "most tits" award and the stupidest/funniest whodunit in a horror movie. Hey, it's Roy, this random dude that appeared for two seconds!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Do you think Jason killed wheelchair kid, not because he wasn't a virgin, but because he was probably doomed to be one forever? Could this be a sympathetic side to Jason?

Wheelchair guy was about to be devirginated; Jason killed the girl and then the wheelchair guy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mister Sinister posted:

I'm surprised that you say that; I've never heard anybody say they like part 4 the most... I mean, the kills are pretty terrible other than Ted and Jimmy's. There's not much tension, either.

I'm also surprised because I think the climax of part 3 is the best in the series, except maybe for part 2. The fact that Jason tears apart the house chasing Chris, and that she actually fights back, overcoming her earlier fears, just seems much more interesting that "little kid with monster makeup decides to make himself look like Jason to confuse him", which makes no sense, since Ginny did it much better in part 2 ("Jason, listen to your mother!").

Most people like 4 because Jason looked bigger than in 2 or 3, and it was the first one in which he felt like an unstoppable killing machine, mainly because they stopped that first person nonsense in it (but returned to it in 5, ugh). And it had Corey Feldman in it. And Crispin Glover doing that awful dancing. And while the kid thing wasn't so great, the final battle in general was directed better in general (as was the whole movie).

Actually my favorite of the earlier movies is 2; I thought about it some more. I can't stand 3, though, for the reasons said, there is too much of that 3D nonsense and it's distracting. And the camerawork/direction is really bad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

That's weird, because 3 is by far my favorite. It might just be nostalgia though, since that's the first one I ever saw.

3 was the last numbered one I saw. I saw 1,6,4,8,2,9,7,X,5,3...FvJ :)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That was my exact problem as well. What made Halloween scary was that any kid, no matter how well raised or from however good a family, could just be evil for no apparent reason. That bad things can happen to people for no apparent reason (Laurie just happened to go to the wrong house at the wrong time). And that pure evil was essentially unstoppable.

I don't know what Zombie was thinking as he got neither part "right," taking away the core elements of Halloween defeats the purpose. If anything that should have been PLAYED UP in the remake; since the sequels diluted that (starting with the second and that idiot "sister" thing and getting progressively worse).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Blood had a butcher knife (and a tree trimming saw!), but no meat cleaver. The rest look right, though. I forgive 2 because the original movie poster/box used a pickaxe on it.

edit: There were three cleaver deaths in 5, though!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Butcher knife. Jason has the machete.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh yeah, it's definitely a sure bet. With the guy who did "White Noise 2: The Light" behind the wheel, how can we go wrong?

I do think that the film be remembered for one thing -- it will kill any prospect of any sort of resurgence of 3D horror films.

Final Destination 4 is in 3D and already coming out, so its more contingent on that than anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Whelp, I think I'm going to see MBV3D tonight.

I just realized that the only horror movie made after 2000 that I've seen has been Land of the Dead. Of course it helps that I've made a point of avoiding all the Saw movies considering that's 90% of the mainstream that has come out this decade.

Saws aren't really horror, they're more mystery/suspense that just happens to be gory.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh god, reading this thread may have solved one of my lifelong mysteries. When I was a kid, I was scrolling through television channels and saw a brief part of a movie where a woman got stuffed in a dryer, and that disturbed me a whole lot when I saw it. I could never figure out what that movie was (the villain wasn't anything recognizable to my young eyes - I couldnt figure out what he was supposed to be, so I couldn't use that to figure out what movie it was) until now. Time to track down the original now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

pud posted:

If it's not the movie mentioned in this thread you might've seen a clip from the original Toxic Avenger, which also has a dryer kill.

It wasn't that clip, so time to check out Toxic Avenger - thanks!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween
1,7,2,3, remake.....8......5....(infinity)6

Ft13th
FvJ,4,2,6,8-1-3-5-7,9,X

NOES
3-4-2-1-7-FvJ (these are weird - they're tied into my nostalgia, so I like them equally, but for different reasons. For instance, 2 was the first I saw, and now I find it hilarious. I love how bright and cheery 4 comes off, but how dark and cheery 3 is equally. 1 I don't like so much now but give respect for what it is. FvJ was extremely fun at the movies),6,5

Child's Play

Hellraiser
1,2,4,The one with the guy that didn't know he was in hell till the end, 3, didn't see the rest

TCM
1, remake, 2, remake sequel, 3................(infinity)4

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bloodlines was okay, it just suffered from feeling like a DTV movie, with DTV acting going along with it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

evilontwolegs posted:

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk. Why don't they just go remake Psycho while they're at it?

- I've never understood why the TCM remakes elicit so many negative responses. While nothing could live up to the original, both of remake and its sequel are beautiful, moody and vicious. I'm personally hoping Friday the 13th has the same look and feel as those, and from the trailers and production photos... it does.

- At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I help run a blog primarily about slasher films at evilontwolegs.com. Particularly relevant to this thread might be an article i co-wrote last year heavily borrowing (i.e., stealing) the Fashion SWAT format to look at the fashion of Camp Crystal Lake.

- The Butterfly Effect 2 was truly horrid. I can't believe part 3 made the 8 Films To Die For this year...

- I agree the Final Destination series is great. Part 2 is by far the best so far... if only it'd been in 3D (if nothing else, for the big log scene).

- Also... I was kidding about Psycho... I know they remade it. Probably one of the worst ideas I'd ever heard, but I was particularly enraged that Hitchcock's name didn't even make the opening credits despite them re-shooting the film line-for-line and shot-for-shot.

The biggest problem with the TCM sequel was that you knew nobody would survive, so it kind of made most of the movie pointless. Instead of "how, or will this character get out of this," it was "how do all of these characters end up getting killed?"

Yeah, I love that Final Destination 4 is a) directed by the team that did 2, and b) is in 3D. That's one of my most anticipated of the year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nothing is as bad as TCM: TNG

quote:

Which seems a fair assessment in these PG-13 days.

Horror has been as gory as it's ever been in the last 6 years or so, actually.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Am I the only one who really liked Jason X? The DVD commentary was especially funny with the writter and director talking about the plotholes and what not.

As far as ranking goes I would say, II, III, I,
now I honestly don't remember which movie is which between IV and IX, so I'm going to skip them, but I really think X was a lot better than some of those, like the one where Jason isn't Jason. Oh and I couldn't stand Freddy vs Jason's cast, really hurt my enjoyment of the film.

X's cinematography is horrible, and the pacing is off and it's a little too goofy in my opinion. The cinematography looks like a video game cutscene at times, and the digital look is pretty bad in general.

6 is the one where jason is revived and Tommy puts him back in the lake, 7 is the one with the psychic girl whose dad pulls him into the lake, 8 is the one on a cruise ship and kind of in Manhattan, 9 is the one where he's body hopping.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aggro posted:

How can people hate Jason X? It has the virtual reality scene at Camp Crystal lake with the fake stereotypical college kids, which takes place during the loving climax of all places. It's awesome -- I've never laughed so hard during a horror movie as I did during that scene.

That's the only part of the entire movie I liked. It felt like a Sci-Fi channel movie, I think I explained this already. The other ones may have been stupid, but most of them, especially the first 2 and 4, had a definitive feel to them, that was completely lost in Jason X. And it wasn't JUST the move to space, as even Manhattan and teleporto-Jason had it to a degree, it was the cheapo digital and cinematography.

And Uber Jason was dumb and pointless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Don't do it man.

That movie makes no sense at all. The government men show up because it's some secret conspiracy to scare people for some stupid reason, except they also kill people too which kind of defeats the purpose, and, uh, I don't feel like thinking about that dumb movie anymore.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, well this is Slasherfan, so he's an exception to the rule.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Awesome Andy posted:

What does everyone think of Nightmare on Elm-Street: the new Nightmare, the one where Freddy crosses over into the real world to try and kill the actress that plays Nancy?
I thought it was pretty bad, it was neat how people would get ripped apart but only Nancy could see him.

I liked it a lot until the last act where it got goofy. It was proto-Scream, like someone said.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I pretty much rank the Nightmare movies from best to worst as Part One, Part Three, New Nightmare, and then all the rest.

You rank 4 with 5,6, and 2? 4 was extremely fun and had some of the best kills and effects.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

If anything, I actually rank 2 slightly higher than 4, 5, and 6, because at least the overwhelming homoerotic subtext was interesting, and the pool massacre/"Coming Out" scenes were fantastic. I wasn't that into part four comparitavely, but all of the Nightmare flicks are decent timewasters.

Edit: Was it part four that had the "Time Loop" scene? Because if so, I will concede that that's one of my favorite scenes in the whole series as well.

Yep, Nightmare 4 was the one where Alice was trying to rescue her friend from being killed (the one that got turned into a roach and crushed), and she kept driving in a loop, and couldn't get out of it.

The good thing about Nightmare 4 was, after seeing 3, we just wanted to see more creative dream sequences. Nightmare 4 gave the most out of any movie by far, while being "light" (with bright lighting as well) without being completely irritating. It was essentially pre-Deep Blue Sea in tone (also directed by Renny Harlin). 5 and 6 gave minimal deaths on top of being not interesting at all and having really stupid parts.

4 gave us:

Freddy being resurrected by a dog peeing fire on his grave
Drowning in bed
Pizza with the faces being the toppings
Girl turned into roach and smashed in roach motel
"Suck face" kill in the middle of class.
Time loop sequence
Probably the best final showdown against Freddy with Alice having Megamanned all her friends' powers
Good overall direction and camerawork and decent acting

5 was:

Weird, annoying direction with weird tilted or close in camera angles
One good, imaginative sequence (comic book guy vs. Super Freddy)
An irritating plot about a baby and Freddy feeding off of souls

6 was:

stupid
"Now I'm playing with power!"
stupid 3D sequence

What made NOES4 entertaining was that at that point, there was nowhere to go except "more deaths and creative dream sequences," and 4 exceeded expectations, while every one after that fell far short of 3, much less 4. 3 was a notch better than 4 because it was still a bit dark in tone and had that whole role playing game feel to it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

Part VI is played mostly as a comedy actually.

5 is too, actually. And even it has it's moments like the guy getting so mad at the guy at the beginning of the movie that he just goes and kills him, or Miguel A. Nunez singing to his girlfriend and getting attacked in the outhouse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lasher posted:

I really should watch The Dream Child again because I recall when I first saw it I was really pissed off there were only 3 deaths in the film. I think I had just seen Jason Lives where the death toll is stupidly high so Freddy was always tarnished after that.

Now? Now I think of the bike scene and I think it's loving awesome. I just wonder if the whole film will live up to Freddy melding a dude into a loving bike.

The chick coming out of the fridge looks cool too. But, no, The Dream Child is kind of hurt by its claustrophobic/weird cinematography and general lack of stuff going on and bores me every single time. Halloween 5 had the exact same problem (on top of Michael crying, which was one of the worst things I've seen in a slasher).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I just watched Ft13th 2 again (On Demand) and I had the exact same sentiment when he moved the kettle. That and laughing at how short Jason was in that movie, and listening to them trying to retrofit "but he was still alive and saw his mother get killed" in there. And somehow, I found the wheelchair death MORE brutal this time. That might be my all time favorite Jason kill.

I agree with the "hottest babes" assessment too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought it was a pretty good Friday the 13th film, my only problem with it in general was that the look was a bit too "dark." As was mentioned earlier, it looked and felt a bit too much like the TCM remake, which doesn't fit the "mood" of Friday the 13th that much. The Friday the 13ths were always bright and clear and not really dark and moody - that was my only qualm. I always like how all this gory stuff was happening in the bright clear day or in full frame in the older movies, which is why I preferred it to the Halloween series in general (besides the first, of course).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

max4me posted:

arrow death not being Jason-ish

Ummmmmmm, 40 seconds in dude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fas5vEINCbY

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

pud posted:

Manhattan is the worst of the series by far

No way is it worse than 5, 9, or X. If someone was coming blind in the series, they'd DEFINITELY enjoy Manhattan more than 5, 9, or X, probably 3. It's probably the best shot, is paced well, and is legitimately funny in spots. The problems with 8 were Jason literally teleporting everywhere (which new people won't care about), it being advertised as him in New York as opposed to him on a ship, and that many of the kills aren't as gory as previous entries. Oh, and the weird ending. But without the prior history with the series, much of that wouldnt' really matter. it having a "plot" actually serves in its favor, it's just that by that time, people who were already fans didn't care about plot (and it was essentially a mix of the plots of 3 and 7).

You may like it the least, but it's not the worst movie in the bunch.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 16, 2009

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I watched The New Blood, Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X tonight. New Blood and X were both loving awful, and Manhattan was pretty stupid too, except for a few awesome parts. I've still gotta watch Jason Goes To Hell, but from what one of my friends told me, it sounds pretty loving ridiculous and enjoyable.

No, it's stupid and ridiculous and Jason isn't even in the movie for most of it, which takes away from it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I hated the setting, more specifically, the house. There is something much less frightening about Jason stalking around someone's property and hiding behind shower curtains. Granted, he stalked around a camp in the earlier movies, but those settings felt at least a little bit isolated; it basically felt like the characters had nowhere to go. The house just wasn't a threatening environment, and made Crystal Lake as a whole seem a lot less sinister. Why is there a home that probably cost millions upon millions of dollars just sitting on/near a cursed camp ground where dozens and dozens of people have been murdered? Real estate agents must have had a hell of a time selling that house. Either that, or the people that shelled out millions to have it built must have been completely oblivious (but this is a horror movie, so I guess that's believable).

Jason murdering douchebag teenagers loses a lot of its charm when he's doing it in a lavish mansion. Putting Jason in a setting where there's some semblance of real society just doesn't work to me.

Friday the 13th 4.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

I thought it was OK, if not a bit disappointing. I had two main problems with the film:

First of all, the shaky cam effects were too over the top. To be fair, shaky cam has been in most of the F13 series, starting with kill number one in the very first film. My problem with it in 2009 was that it shook so much that it was disorienting and you couldn't really see what was going on, which I thought was a cop out for a F13 film.

Wait, what? Okay, this is getting ridiculous, any handheld cam is now known as "shaky cam?"

This movie didn't really use any quick cuts (Batman Begins) or purposely shaky shots (Bourne). The difference between this and the old ones was that it was shot more heavily in shadow, and the kills were "faster" (the older ones had lots of shots of Jason sloooooowwwwlly harpooning and the like).

quote:

More importantly, I was disappointed by the whole Texas Chainsaw Massacre elements thrown into the film, with the old houses filled with weird stuff (again, yeah -- I know that Jason builds a weirdo shrine in Part II, but it didn't look like a reused TCM set), Jason trapping somebody in the basement and tying her to a chain, and even the Leatherface head tilts when he confronts her.

I agree with the set looking like TCM which I complained about.

However, that's the Michael Meyers head tilt, which was stolen by Kane Hodder for Jason in 7. So you've got it all out of order.

quote:

I would have hoped that Nispel would have gotten it out of his system by now. Don't misunderstand me, I love the original TCM (and TCM2 -- and even Nispel's remake), but that doesn't mean that I want Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers to act like Leatherface and I don't go into every horror film hoping for a hideout that looks like Leatherface's hideout and weirdo hillbillies to be running around.

I agree in execution. But to be fair, when you combine parts 1-4 of Friday the 13th, you -do- get a lot of those elements including hillbillies (you need Crazy Ralph, after all), shrines, etc. However, I didn't like them looking so much like TCM stuff, I agree.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

edit: ^^^ yeah, most people like 4 the best out of human killers, and 6 out of zombie/supernatural ones.

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah, but my point still stands, because it just so happens that Friday the 13th Part 4 was neither a good movie nor a scary one.

You were comparing the movie to classic Jason, but 4 is normally known as THE classic (scary) Jason movie (6 is the classic silly one). I don't get it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Well I guess I'll change my argument a bit. I'd say that the house in Friday the 13th 2009 is a far cry from the little house in Friday the 13th Part 4. I guess I'd say that the mansion in 2009 was a too lavish for the environment that the filmmakers were trying to create.

They're actually pretty much the same size in practice :) The difference in the two is essentially the idea of a summer home 25 years ago, and one now. This one has a more modern design and is on the water and "nicer."

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point. Aesthetically, it feels a lot different, even if, conceptually, it's essentially the same thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Monocle posted:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "Mommy?" head-tilt has been a part of Jason's character since the second movie.

Not saying it wasn't lifted from Halloween, but it's definitely a recurring character trait and I was glad to see that it survived the reboot.

I think he may have done it in two, but it disappeared until 7, and Kane Hodder is normally credited with that. Your point about him doing it in 2 may be right, though - I'll have to look on Youtube or something for that scene.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't think Leatherface really "counts" - he was gesturing all over the place and screaming and dancing around, so one gesture doesn't stand out, whereas Myers and Jason only do "one thing" that shows any thinking or emotion on their part. Nitpicky, I know, but that's why it's typically credited to Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

The scene with the baby oil bordered on porn, and not torture porn.

I also appreciated the fact that my prime candidate for final girl got killed unexpectedly.

There was one too many there for where the movie was and one was in the back of the line. Ah well...