Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

emotional facism posted:

I have a fine time with Jason X, he's not a complex character and there really shouldn't be that much of a problem reinventing him or bringing him back to the big screen
Jason X is far and away the best movie in the series. In it, Jason is frozen solid with liquid nitrogen on a spaceship, but is awakened by the pre-marital gropings of attractive teens in the next room over. Seriously.

The movie is completely meta and self-aware, and is fantastic in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched Martyrs for the first time, knowing nothing other than "French Horror OMG NEW CLASSIC" and I had the same problem I had with Salo':

Complete subservience by the lead. In Salo' it at least makes sense, as an allegory for the citizens who didn't oppose fascism, but Martyrs seems to be saying "torture and pain is cool, endure it with no questions asked or resistance, and then you get to see God (or something)"
Is it just a cultural thing between Europeans and us Yankees, that we believe in fighting and resistance? I mean, you could have choked out the feeder-lady on your chains, they were long enough. Resistance is life!

And yes, I'm aware that one of the points is that she was a special person who could endure that pain and reach Nirvana. I just didn't think that was something to be held up as a good. I think Lilie's vengeance, even though she paid with her sanity and life, was still a more satisfying story while still being nihilistic.

Also agree with the posters from two years ago who said it's no Funny Games, which I also take issue with. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is a better movie than Funny Games at getting across the same central conceit. There, I said it.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 24, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of which, what are some horror films that prominently feature swarms of (regular-sized) insects?
BEES! or some version of that title, a cheesy 70s disaster-movie like THEM! that featured the lead scientiest claiming "there's 300 million of us, and 10 billion of them!" before the window he's standing in front is crushed under the weight of a surge of bees that comes in and stings everyone to death.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wilhelm Scream posted:

There's a Hellraiser in space, too, right?

I've seen them all but blocked out most of them past the third.
Hellraiser 4 is in space. It is also set in the Victorian age. It is very bad, but does have a dreamy and very young Adam Scott in it.

Hellraiser 7:Deader is actually really good.

It probably goes:

1 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 > >>>>>> 8

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TUS posted:

Is Hellraiser 8 the one with Lance Henriksen that's about the Hellraiser MMO party? Because that one had me in awe.

Yep. Hellraiser is kinda my pet horror series, I could talk about it for days. The ones where they turn the cenobites into slashers, killing kids one-by-one (8, 3, 6), are the worst. The ones where it's just one person's descent into madness and horror (1, 7, 5 a little) are great.

3 is also pretty stupendous because it features the Cenobites freely walking the streets of New York City. After they explode an entire block, the police show up. This leads to a scene where the streets of New York City have exactly zero bystanders, and then - because this is an emergency, all four members of the NYPD show up.

:psyboom:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollis posted:

I'm honestly trying to remember a horror movie where a woman get's her breasts cut off, I mean not just cut on but cut off completely. It's just a obvious gender thing you see in horror.
The excellent and underappreciated Breakdown has J.T. Walsh threatening to do just that to Kathleen Quinlan.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Has there ever been a successful Day of the Triffids movie/miniseries?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Hellraiser 2 is loving great.
I honestly think Hellraiser 7 (Deader, the one with Kari Wuher in an Eastern Bloc country) is really, really good and hits those depressing Hellraiser notes really well.

Hellraiser 3, for me, is the absolute worst one, if only because the Cenobites come to Earth, to New York City, and then prowl its totally empty streets for a half-hour before all nine members of the NYPD arrive to stop them.

It's as tone-deaf a reading of what a city is actually like as we'll get until Constantine is premiered, featuring an alternate-reality Los Angeles where it rains 24/7

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cole posted:

I liked the Nightmare on Elm Street remake...
In its defense, the Drug Store scene was legitimately terrifying and the one really well put-together scene, but the movie is just a mish-mash of Nightmares 1 and 6.

I really wish they'd stop remaking good movies that are already essentially perfect. Remake bad movies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wish I could point to more specifics but to be honest, D is For Dog is the only one I retained at all.
I thought A for Abominable was cute

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

axleblaze posted:

"A" was Apocalypse.

Then whichever one was the one with "the Abominable Snowman of Mexico City" one :3:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Attack! posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions? I've seen most of the American classic horror from the 70's onward, but I'm pretty ignorant of some of the more recent under-the-radar releases as well as foreign horror.

Have you seen Murnau's Nosferatu? I always show it to friends who say they aren't scared, and they spend the first 20 minutes laughing and making fun of the crazy makeup levels due to Kleig lights and the title cards for text. Then Orlok shows up and everyone shuts the gently caress up and the next 50 minutes they are scared out of their mind. It's amazing that it still has that power.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Senator Giroux posted:

Don't worry buddy, Part VI is my favorite too and while the series was on Netflix, I told like 10 people to watch it.
I like Jason X. :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SA Horror Movie Thread: Jeffery Combs was a delight

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

trip9 posted:

Regardless, I love The Strangers so much, because even though it doesn't do anything new or original, everything it does do is so on point that I can't fault it for it. That one scare that everyone mentions, (no one even has to spoiler tag what it actually is because it's so good that everyone knows what is being referred to) the ending, the music, everything. I bet it would make for an interesting night if you were to watch The Strangers, You're Next, and Funny Games all back to back.
True story: The Strangers is the first movie in ten years that I straight-up had to turn off because it was too scary for me to keep watching.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

P-Zombie posted:

I watched Hellraiser last night, for the first time in years (and that viewing was backed before I gained the proper appreciation of film). I'll have to watch it again, but it was probably the most interesting Christian religious horror film I've seen yet, and the most heterodox.

Why do you describe it as Christian? It's pretty explicit that the Cenobites are not demons, though some call them that (as well as angels).

Also Hellraiser 7 (Deader, with Kari Wuher) is by far the best Hellraiser, even including the first one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

I haven't seen Jason X
Jason X is a seriously great movie, though I hesitate to call it horror. It's absolutely a comedy, and includes some of the best laughs around, including a direct correlation between pre-marital sex and Jason awakening. It's seriously great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

Don't avoid any and Jason X rules. You are the piece of poo poo.

Jason X is basically a Nightmare on Elm Street movie post-Dream Warriors, where the killer is the real star and it's just goofy as poo poo dissections. How can you not love "It's ok, he just wanted his machete back!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Marathon the series. It's (mostly) a ton of fun.

My initial takes on the series:

1) Very smart, and gives us the conceit of a slasher movie with no slasher. Also has high schoolers discussing metaphysics.

2) VERY funny, by far the best in the series. Also, the initial incident keeps me from driving comfortably behind log trucks to this day.

3) Meh. It starts to get a little hackneyed that they have to re-investigate the "killer" each time. The final event is the series's best "ooooooooooh" moments.

4) Pretty bad, really skip this one.

5) A great movie with a very smart ending. Can't recommend it enough.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've never seen any Halloweens.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

katium posted:

I'm more ashamed that I've only seen one Hitchcock movie: Psycho. One of these days I will get around to watching The Birds and Rear Window.
If you don't speak German, watch Life Boat, because it's amazing and way better than The Birds (though it's about as much a horror movie as Dr. Strangelove)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Related: How many of you are on Criticker? (horror rankings)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

Anyone else into occult horror movies? Most of these are favorites. I'm sure more will come to me but is there anything missing from my list that you guys would recommend?
Dagon movie from Spain was surprisingly good for a Lovecraft-inspired movie, and the cultists are suitably scary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What are people's thoughts on Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre? Apparently it was done on the cheap as part of Iceland's film promotion efforts, and it is pretty much a "screwball horror" (much like the Russian Screwed with Stephen Dorff). I don't know why, but films like this (and Final Destination 2) that very graphically eviscerate the poor victims but manage to present it in a way that's funny is so great to me.

What is it about watching horrific events being presented comedically? Is it because in a media-literate world we know they're actors covered in Karo syrup so it isn't scary? Is it because the only sane response in the face of a nightmare of murders is literal lunacy?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will defend that the Drug Store scene in NoES 2012 was legitimately scary. Other than that, the entire movie was a mess of 1 and New Nightmare, with the most trite "flip through photos - Oh NOOOoooooooo" scene imaginable at the end.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I need to rewatch the NoES remake because I have absolutely no memory of it. I can't picture the main character, I can't think of a single scene, I have no recollection of the plot whatsoever. That can't be a good sign, but I like to give movies two shots.

It's really bad. The kids are stupid idiots, they try and split the difference between scary-Freddy and "Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch!" and it doesn't work. The director seems to only want Jackie Earl Haley to do "Rorshach but with a claw glove" and it's just bad-bad-BAD.

One of the things Nightmare did was tie in the real-world cause of death to the dream-slaying (so Freddy sucks the life out of a girl in NoES 4; IRL she has an asthma attack). I don't recall them ever doing anything like that in NoES 2012, they just sort of die.

I would say instead of giving it a second chance, rewatch 4 (best kills) or 1 (best everything else).

Also, no tongue-phone in NoES 2012, so :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There was like a pseudo-geyser scene but it was really bad CGI and then Freddy made a wet dream joke about it.
IIRC, it's actually the exact same wet dream line from Part 4 when he's dispatching the survivors of part 3.

Basically they ripped off the stupid parts of the earlier movies (bad jokes and the plot/weakness from Freddy's Dead) without using the cool parts (actually being scary, tongue-phone, blood geyser)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

It's rare for horror to get to me like that. Martyrs is probably the modern, go-to example for something truly unsettling.
I really disliked Martyrs for a different reason than most. It seems that with European filmmakers, there's a nobility to submission (Salo', Martyrs) whereas American filmmakers seem to ennoble the 'fight like hell' ethic. Sometimes it works, and fighting to your last breath lets you stumble away as the dawn breaks, and sometimes it doesn't and all your striving just lets the killer get to you in the end, but in any case you tried your best. Maybe it's the Calvinist work ethic translated to the screen, but the culture of America is resistance, and that just does not exist in a lot of the movies from other cultures.

Martyrs especially seems to focus on the submission and subservience of the girl, and I found that really off-putting. Horror movies are a lot of times a chance for the audience to say 'Don't look in the closer, GIRRRRRL!' or some variation on that, and with Martyrs the girl just gives up halfway through and submits. Submission is not what you want in a heroine.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Part of my enthusiasm for her might also be due to the fact that I think "only watch the Heather Langenkamp entries" is a very useful bit of advice for the series (sorry, but I don't share the enthusiasm for part 4).

Part 4 isn't great, but it does have the single best kill in the entire series (Roach Motel)

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm trying to think of a good counter-example to it, something that exemplifies the 'fight like hell' mentality you're talking about but I'm coming up dry. What'd you have in mind?
Literally every final girl in every slasher ever.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 25, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oliver Reed posted:

Don't most of them simply run and scream until they're backed into a corner and forced to swing something sharp or pull a trigger? I don't know if that's '[fighting] like hell'. Speaking of NoES, someone like Nancy actually had a plan and set-up booby traps and poo poo.
Yeah, off the top of my head:

-Nancy (and later Alice) in NoES
-Sydney in Scream
-Sally in TCM
-The entire third act of I Spit on Your Grave
-Ripley in every Alien after the first one (and Elizabeth Shaw in Prometheus)
-Dana and Marty in Cabin in the Woods

There's even a little bit of this in Hostel; the American Paxton fights to save Josh, while the non-American Kana, unable to deal with the horrors that have been visited on her, jumps in front of a train.

Even in the Final Destination series, where the killer is so abstracted that it is literally impossible to fight back, they do everything they can (once they figure out what they're up against) to 'defeat' the very idea of predestination

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 25, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think the very concept of struggling and conflict is integral to storytelling. You literally don't have a movie without it. So it's unfair to say that movies like Martyrs and Inside don't have conflict, it just seems like they show a side (a reality, in fact) of mankind that says 'yes, we can be beaten, we can be cowed and made subservient by having unlimited horrors and pain visited on us.'

I'm sure SMG will point to how Americans basically showed up and imposed our will on an entire continent, Manifest Destiny style, while the Euros have had to live in proximity to each other for an extra millennium, and that's why they believe in defeat as an option.

The French, specifically, believed that subservience to the Germans was better than extermination in WWII, and that's a cultural memory that might take some time to fade. There were French insurgents, to be sure, and they fought bravely against the Nazis - and were slaughtered. So maybe they aren't being lionized for a reason.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 25, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Going back to Nightmare chat, 5 is seriously underrated. It's not a brilliant movie, but it has two of the best kills in the entire franchise, and overall it's just so weird and off-kilter that I can't not like it.

Does it? I think it's easy to put most of the kills from 4,3 and 1 above either the comic book or dinner is served, and unless you're counting the pretty 'meh' opener, those are the only two in 5.

Roach Motel, Got No Strings and Depp in a Blender are all way better, and the first kill with Tina getting slashed to bits is actually scary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You give your friend's death meaning by getting the bastards that did that to her and making sure no one else does, not by giving up and becoming a skinless god prophet

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I don't really feel that way about it. I'm hesitant to call it a progression in the series, because it takes kind of a hard left turn from 4 instead of going in the same direction (5 is a hosed up movie whereas 4 was pretty much a horror comedy), but "going through the motions" is just about the last way I'd describe it. It's flawed because it doesn't execute a lot of its ideas all that well, not because it doesn't have any new ones.

Yeah, I re-watched 5 after this discussion kicked up, and it really is a movie that's about something, much like 2. If we take it that;
  • Nightmare is just a scary monster movie
  • 2 is about coming to grips with your homosexuality
  • 3 is the start of 'funny' Freddy, where he becomes the star. He was always jokey, but in a sadistic way until now. "Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch" indeed
  • 4 is the culmination of 'funny Freddy,' where we get a new batch of Springwood's finest to carve up
  • 5 is about parents, and how we relate to them. The parallels are there, and the fact that the movie harps on what parents expect of us (and us of our parents) is a thing that's there.
  • I haven't seen (nor want to see) 6 again to refresh my opinions, but it's probable that it tries to rehash parenting, but it's just a mess

I'm not sure what would have made 5 better, but it's just so languid and padded, and it really shows that it was a rush job. I think you needed more scenes of people just escaping Freddy to ramp up the suspense.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lizardman posted:

Basically, I thought the movie clearly had a different concept than the rest of the series - a sort of "horror Looney Tunes" - and on an 'executing your vision' level I think Freddy's Dead deserves some credit. It just feels disrespectful to the audience to shove Freddy Krueger into this role when he already had a defined MO: and on his grand finale, no less!... a killer cartoon character (imagine a psychotic Bugs Bunny) that sucks you into his cartoon world so he can kill you in macabre and amusing (to him) ways. He could be unsettling in the same way the Joker is unsettling: treating violence and death as though they are hilarious.
Freddy's MO is exactly this, and has been since the very first film (to varying degrees, kicking into high gear on 3).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gromit posted:

I just watched it last night having not seen it in years and I just can't agree. I wish it was creepier and more interesting as I nearly gave up on it part way through.

Yeah, it was definitely a product of its age and doesn't hold up well. A few freaky "is this happening?" scenes really doesn't compare when we get things like Fight Club, The Usual Suspects and Seven in the next few years, to say nothing of demonic thrillers like The Ninth Gate and In The Mouth of Madness just a few years later.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

I actually kinda prefer it to Halloween, if I'm being honest. It's a tight contest, and the weak ending nearly pushes it the other way, but drat if Black Christmas doesn't still unsettle me in a great way. The phone calls are absolutely disturbing in an unexpected way.

Any idea if the remake is any good? I kinda have a thing for Lacey Chabert, but can't bring myself to investigate Black Christmas

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Technetium posted:

What is this nonsense trashing a stone cold classic like Jacob's Ladder while in the same line praising Fight Club and The Ninth Gate.

Fight Club is a really good movie with really dumb fans (unlike Boondock Saints, which is a really bad movie with really bad fans). Jacob's Ladder is just a mish-mash of bad effects with a bunch of "is he crazy? is he sane and the world is crazy?" navel-gazing at the very tail-end of America's collective give-a-poo poo timeframe for Vietnam. I'm sorry I mentioned the Ninth Gate, but still In the Mouth of Madness is a much better "is he crazy?" flick by all measures. Jacob's Ladder is really boring, hth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So help me, I'm considering getting the complete Friday the 13th Collection because I've only seen 1,2, Manhattan and X, and this set has Freddy vs Jason, meaning along with the Nightmare box set that will complete everything.

Edit: Why isn't Freddy's Nightmares on DVD/Blu-Ray/NetFlix yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Since there's been talk of horror franchises stacking up against each other: I know the sequels were terrible, but I always thought Candyman could've been an expanded franchise that made Tony Todd into a horror icon (more than he is anyway). Of course then we'd have Candyman in Space and all that, but that might be fun too. Tony Todd's 59, he could do another if he wanted.

On an unrelated note, I remember seeing The Serpent and The Rainbow years and years ago when I was probably too young to see it, but I don't remember anything about it other than it taking place in Haiti. Was it ever any good, and if so, does it hold up?

Candyman 1 and 2 are great, then they basically undid everything with the lore in 3. A Candyman 4 (or, let's be realistic, a Candyman reboot) would have to throw out the effects and history of 3. And I can't stand remakes where the original is still fine and holds up; it's vacuous and pointless.