Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Should I just skip Exorcist II if I want to see Exorcist III? Does the second one have any redeeming values?

Oh god yes, skip it. Exorcist II is notorious for being one of the worst sequels in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Any decent horror film sites out there? I'm not talking Bloody Disgusting style press release garbage-holes, but something a little more... professional and analytic?

Also, any of you oldtimers remember this web 1.0 relic? This is likely the first website I ever visited when I did my first yahoo search, and there it is, like finding a derelict building.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's tough to measure. Some are great in a fun sense, like Cemetery Man. Others are just great films that transcend the genre. If we're talking the latter:

The Exorcist
The Shining
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (70s)
Night Of The Living Dead (60s)
The Thing (80s)

Runners up:
Alien
The Witch got really close. drat fine film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

weekly font posted:

Oh I knew and it still exceeded expectations in awfulness.

So it's even worse than the glorified YouTube skit that it appears to be? What a way for Angus Scrimm to go out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the new Phantasm is pretty awful, and I've enjoyed all 4 to varying degrees. And for the first few minutes of this one, it didn't seem unbearable, given my expectations. But it falls apart, fast.

It's just very incompetently made. In order to make a film, you need basic things like a DP and a Production Designer, and preferably ones that aren't members of your family working for free. The result is a totally flat, poorly lit, handheld amateurish bore. This has to have been initially planned as some one-off webisode thing that got way out of control. And while the majority of it is just bland student-film bad, with ok-to-terrible CG and poo poo acting, the last 25 minutes are embarassing. I'm skeptical that Coscarelli's writing credit goes beyond giving this director the blessing to use his name.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ObamaPhone posted:

Oh yeah, you reminded me of another good aspect of Ravager.

Reggie's dimensional travels add some genuine comic relief.

I'm confused as to why this sequel could not have garnered a larger budget.

If they couldn't get the support to shoot the Roger Avery script with Bruce Campbell starring and Coscarelli directing 20 years ago, they had no chance now. Phantasm is a relic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

Why is it Franco's dream, what is there in the film that leads you to believe that? He's a minor character who's in the film for like five minutes in the beginning and end.

I'd say more likely it's Delamorte's tall tale he's telling Franco, or just an elaborate Munchausian fantasy he's constructed around his dead-end job. He wants his existence to be important, he wants to love someone (his dream woman is too perfect to be true), he wishes Naghi could communicate, and above all he wants to leave his small town. So he goes on a make-believe adventure.

I mean, the cemetary where he works is even called Buffalora, which translates from Italian to "bullshit". Everything in the movie is a lie, but it's Delamorte's lie not Franco's.

Even more than that, there's a chance that Franco isn't real either. Dellamorte even says so when he's on the phone with him. "Sometimes I wonder if you even exist".

But the "it's all in Franco's head" theory is out there. Check it. Seems like a stretch to me, but whatever.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Jason Goes to Hell commentary is great. You can tell the filmmakers are just a couple of F13 nerds having a good time. Shame about the movie, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dream Child's production design is great. How it's shot, for the most part, is not. Sometimes it's just awful to look at. As far as the story and execution goes, it's pretty poo poo compared to something like Dream Warriors, but it's still better than Freddy's Dead on every conceivable level.

New Nightmare is a fantastic concept with a flawed execution. I love the real-world moviemaking stuff without Freddy. Saxon, Englund, Craven, even Bob Shaye are great playing themselves. I even like the revamped Freddy makeup and glove (am I the only one?). But once the 'scares' get going, it turns into a gimmicky mess. A kid spewing pea soup and making goofy evil voices is not scary, pace Exorcist. The kid just doesn't have what it takes to carry the drama, and it is a drama about childhood mental illness in a way. Freddy's flipflopping tongue and cartoon face towards the finale is a laugh. Langenkamp yells "Dylan" approx 287 times and it's tiring. And the whole fairy tale angle didn't come off well, for me. Craven is a competent enough director, but I wouldn't ever call him a real heavy talent behind the camera. He's an example of a guy whose directing never seemed to be able to live up to his brilliant ideas. He's better than Clive Barker in this respect, but nowhere near a Carpenter.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Any good horror films about scarecrows besides 'Scarecrows' and 'Dark Night of the Scarecrow'? Those two have some cool stuff going on, but really aren't great. There was that cool episode of the Friday the 13th tv series too. The rest I've seen have been awful poo poo like 'Jack-O'. I like the trope, as thin as it is. There's something classically American horror about it. Nightmare fodder. Am I missing a hidden gem?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Check out the Tales from the Crypt episode 'Four Sided Triangle".

Is that the one with Patricia Arquette? Totally forgot about that, and I own the series.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Cannibal Ferox nay, btw. That poor, poor turtle.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah they killed a turtle in Ferox too. And a boar. And some other things. Lenzi was basically trying to make a CH clone.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The long version of Deep Red is the 2 hour Italian cut. The shorter version is the export cut, which is 1hr38mins. These are the only versions I'm aware of. They lost (or never recorded) English dialogue for the extra scenes in the long cut, so they're in Italian w English subs. I like the export cut just fine, keeps the pacing up. The extra scenes in the long cut are, if I recall correctly, mostly short inserts, longer exchanges between Hemmings and Nicolodi, and more exchanges with the cops. Nothing really crucial is missing, and afaik, there's no missing violence.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DeimosRising posted:

It's also funny when they don't even try to hide it, like Tarantino with Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown. Imagine that scene but the camera zooms up so only her rear end is in frame and just stays there for 10 seconds while she flexes it

Wait, are you talking about Tinto Brass?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how in The Disaster Artist, Sestero is oddly proud of his performance in Retro Puppet Master, but when you actually watch it he's just loving terrible.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Burkion posted:

See I want to make a joke but yeah I just feel the same.

Though, you know, women instead of men.

There are also shockingly few Horror Love Dolls.

I read this too fast.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wasn't there some acclaimed, quality horror release recently? You know, one of those movies that people say "the best horror film since ________" about (e.g., It Follows, The Witch, Get Out)? I can't find or remember what the hell I'm thinking of.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

married but discreet posted:

Christ, I did NOT have a good time with Eyes of my Mother :stare:

Same. This thread recommended it in response to my question about trying to remember a new prestige horror film, so I just watched it. It's well done enough, considering it's limitations, but ultimately it's an exercise in human misery that I'd never care to revisit.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I saw it and loved it when I was a kid, but I had forgotten how goddamn bonkers House II is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How often does shudder rotate its selection, and how much changes?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Well I'm sold.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

James Woods Fan posted:

Which Halloweens are worth watching? I've only seen the first and H2O, the latter of which I didn't care for at all.

2 picks up from the moment 1 ends, and isn't bad. 3 is great if you're looking for something kinda nuts and creative, though it has nothing to do w Michael Myers. Good score too. Forget the rest.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Young Danielle Harris was talent far above what those Halloween sequels deserved. She's great. Paul Rudd in Halloween 6, on the other hand, is hilariously bad. One of the worst performances from a now-very-famous actor you'll ever see.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Vic Miller is the original screenwriter and he's trying to reclaim ownership of the characters, namely Jason. Sean Cunningham is trying to say Miller wrote it as a for-hire job and thus has no standing to claim ownership. So it'll go to court.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Friday the 13th part 5 will always be one of my favorites for one reason alone: Debbie Sue Voorhees.

Yeah, this. And maybe when that one chick does the robot.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
All of the box sets are OOP too. I'm guessing the impending rights battle has killed everything for now?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This is the same Vic Miller who says he's never seen any of the sequels because he doesn't like the idea of Jason being the killer. Dude's looking for a payday.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Am I weird for never watching teasers/trailers?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Hellbound Heart still needs a proper adaptation.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's special about this print of Suspiria? It isn't as if the uncut version was lost or anything.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

This does kinda put a damper on that new 4k blu ray that's due out this year. Or does it? I really don't understand the technicalities of these things.

They asked Don May Jr. if he needed the print and he said no.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

TOOT BOOT posted:

What would you like to see in it? From what I remember Hellraiser is a pretty drat faithful adaptation other than stuff that can't be conveyed on film like what it's like to open the box.

My main gripes with it are stylistic. The scenes in Franks room upstairs, the hospital, and the look of the cenobites are all great, but the rest of the film looks flat like a soap opera. Even the flashbacks with Frank have that bad gauze softening effect. I've always thought Barker was a better conceptual talent than a director, so this is a general complaint I have with all of his films (Lord of Illusions is probably his best work, and even that's got major issues). Great ideas, so so execution. In comparison, Hellbound is incredibly visually dynamic, which I think is one of the big reasons it's so well regarded.

There's other stuff that stands out too, like Franks obviously overdubbed voice, Andrew Robinson's stilted performance, and some traditional animation effects that were dated even by 80s standards. It's also got a really clunky ending after Frank is torn apart, but so did the book. Besides the look, I really did want to see the book version of what it's like to open the box on the screen. That opening bit in the book is really amazing stuff, and a creative filmmaker could do something cool with that. Instead, what we get about the box in the movie is a brief comment about pain and pleasure from Frank and some flashes of meathooks.

And finally, The Hellbound Heart is ultimately about the dangerous places that unchecked desire can take you, whether it's Frank's hedonism taking him to hell, or Julia's sexual desire and scorn of her boring husband that ultimately damns her, the book is so descriptive when it comes to this longing for release from ennui and indulging in the transgressive, and I feel like the movie falls short of really hitting that note (Videodrome is a movie that touches on this theme to more success I think). Instead, it focuses more on the goreshow of Julia's and Frank's black widow routine, and while the gore effects in this are really great stuff, I wanted something with more dramatic weight to go along with it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Terrible Opinions posted:

The statue in the Shrine felt really familiar to me, like its head was from some 1980s or 1990s fantasy movie, but I can't place it. I wanna say one of the Troll movies but I don't think that's quite right. Something or similar low budget feel though. Anyone got an idea of where it might have been borrowed from?

Kinda reminds me of this dude from Ghoulies II.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What really sells the shock ending isn't the surprise penis anyway, but Angela's absolutely bizarre expression. Holy hell that face.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ramadu posted:

i just watched all the children of the corn movies that are on the xfinity on demand so like, 2-7 or something. They are real bad and not great. The best one I thought was 2 and that had the kids dropping a house on an old lady, it was great. I really really want to like them but in general I'm just so unbelievably bored while watching them.

The best part of 2 is clearly this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmT_TkCfbCg

I never saw the one starring Naomi Watts, but I imagine it's the best because Naomi Watts.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen Body Bags twice but They Live only once. I've seen Ghosts of Mars and Vampires about 4 times each.

What the gently caress.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There is no slasher worth watching in the 10 years following Scream.

I'm watching Student Bodies and this poo poo fails at everything it's trying to do, even if the idea is ahead of it's time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there any way to watch "The Sitter", the 1977 Fred Walton short film that became the basis for "When A Stranger Calls"? It seems impossible to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm rewatching The Hidden too (haven't seen it in prob 25 years). It's pretty drat good, but if this had been made by Carpenter and with someone else as the lead cop (Kurt Russell would work), it'd easily be one of the best films of the 80's.