Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Jason X is far and away the best movie in the series. In it, Jason is frozen solid with liquid nitrogen on a spaceship, but is awakened by the pre-marital gropings of attractive teens in the next room over. Seriously.

The movie is completely meta and self-aware, and is fantastic in every way.
I love the hell out of Jason X. There's an article about the Friday remake in the current issue of Fangoria, and throughout it, the cast and crew talk about how they respect the series so much, but they consistently all poo poo all over Jason X. It was a little thing, but it really annoyed me. It came off as them trying to make themselves appear hipper by trashing that flick.

(just to be super-clear, it wasn't Fangoria trashing the movie. Hell, Tony Timpone is a huge fan of it himself. It was all of the loving teeny-bopper cast making GBS threads on it. I'm still looking forward to the redux, but that doesn't mean I can't act like a bitter old man, yelling at some vapid MTV-friendly kids to stay off my franchise).

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Zombie Fistfight posted:

Are they actually working on another or are we being spared another adventure in the Life and Times of Generic White Trash?
I'm about 99.9% positive I read that Zombie is currently working on a sequel, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it now.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Pretty much being reported on every horror site at the moment.
Here is one casting call report.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14791
It's aiming to be released in October I think, or maybe August again, can't remember.
They should re name Michael Myers The White Trash Killer.
Yeah, I probably read it on Dread Central, since that's my usual haunt, but I didn't feel like tracking it down. Thanks.

I still haven't submitted myself to Zombie's Halloween remake. After the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the remake, I just lost enthusiasm (although I'll get around to watching it eventually). Frankly, I'm disappointed. I actually enjoy the hell out of House of 1000 Corpses. I know a lot of people hate it, but it's just way over-the-top fun. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Cheri Moon Zombie is insanely sexy. But then Devil's Rejects came along and was actually a good movie-- I mean objectively, that's a really good movie. So I had high hopes. But maybe Rejects was just a fluke. I dunno.

Getting back to the Friday the 13th, if they really are looking to reboot the series and keep this going... Well, the TCM remake caught me completely by surprise in how good it was; but then the prequel was indescribably awful. And even though Platinum Dunes didn't handle the Hills Have Eyes remake, that was also really good-- but the sequel was atrocious. I really wonder about the viability of maintaining a horror franchise these days. I realize I'm biased, but the original Friday movies and the Nightmare movies (and yes, I know they're rebooting that franchise as well)-- while not always great, were at least consistently fun for me (Halloween, less so). The only real horror Franchise going right now are the Saw movies, and they stopped being fun for me after III. I just wonder if we'll get a really solid Friday remake, followed by a weak sequel, followed by the supposed reboot fizzling out.

Also, I hope a theater near me is equipped to handle the MBV remake, because it sounds like it'll be worthless on DVD. In theaters, it should be a blast.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I just read online that lionsgate are very close to bankrupsy with recent bombs like The Spirit, Disaster Movie, Bangkok Dangrous and are pretty much relying on My Bloody Valentine to be a hit to stay a float.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/02/will-lionsgate-be-the-next-studio-to-kick-the-bucket/
Oh goddamnit, that is incredibly bad news. Lionsgate is right up there with Anchor Bay and Blue Underground as being a godsend to horror fanatics. Every piece of poo poo that's ever come out under their banner has been more than justified by the risks they've taken on some great horror flicks. If Lionsgate goes under, that is a huge, huge loss for us.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

I liked Bloodlines. It's pretty hard to find horror movies I don't enjoy on some level although they're trying really hard this year to change that with The Unborn and MBV.

However, Final Destination is one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and I really enjoyed Butterfly Effect too so take that how you will.
I actually liked the Butterfly Effect as well, although that scene where he wakes up in the hospital with no arms and no legs is pretty near impossible not to laugh at. All in all though, I thought most people were way too hard on that movie.

Final Destination I like, but personally I feel like the only one of the series to actually get it completely right so far was Final Destination 2 as it didn't take itself seriously.

Every time I see new responses building up in this thread I keep hoping that some advance reviews of F13 have come out. I'm still looking forward to it. The TCM remake was something caught me completely by surprise in how much I liked it, and I'm hoping the same sort of thing happens with F13 as well.

PsychoGoatee posted:

Child's Play: 1, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, ... 2, & 3.
That reminds me. Isn't Child's Play being remade as well?

Then again, what's not being remade these days, eh? Oh well, at least the Near Dark remake was canceled, since that was my current "How dare they?! flick.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 31, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So, tomorrow is the release date for the documentary His Name was Jason. I am absolutely going to have to pick that up. Sounds like it's pretty good.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

timeandtide posted:

Just Google his name, in case you haven't seen The Frighteners.
Who was he in The Frighteners? I can't remember him being in that movie at all, and IMDB doesn't list him being in it. You not thinking of the weird FBI agent, are you? Because that was Jeffrey Combs.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So, I picked up His Name Was Jason on my way home from work. I haven't watched it yet, but just in case you guys don't know already, it comes with some cool stuff, including a $5.00 coupon towards your purchase of a ticket for the F13 remake at participating theaters and a His Name Was Jason poster.

Not bad for a 2 disc DVD set that's garnering solid reviews that most of us were going to pick up anyway.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's not as crooked as it looks, I swear.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 6, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I scrolled over those spoilers for a split second but I just can't make myself do it.

Goddamnit, why can't it be Friday already?!

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Boinks posted:

Don't do it, just hold out.

One good thing about the kills, I didn't notice any CGI.

Also wanted to mention the clothes/hair styles are very 80's esque.
I will hold out, don't worry. And given your overall positive attitude towards it, I'm all the more excited.

It really does sound like they genuinely respected the original and made something that they wanted the fans to enjoy as well. Friday at work is going to be torture, knowing I'm trying to wait to the end so I can leave and go watch F13.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

935 posted:

I loved how brutal Jason was. The girl he strung up over the campfire made my stomach curl, though. He's never really gone for torturing his victims or setting traps (girl roasting over campfire, paralyzed black guy) but god drat he was pissed in this movie.
Absolutely with you on that one. I liked the movie, and I usually have a very strong stomach for this stuff. But the girl being roasted alive really REALLY bothered me. I can't quite put into words why that one really crossed the line for me, but it did.

Overall though, I loved it. Unfortunately for me, though, it was showing on the IMAX screen at my theater. That's not the bad part. The bad part is that even though I was there half an hour early, I under-estimated how packed it was going to be. The movie sold out about three minutes after I bought my ticket. When I got into the theater the only seats left were in the front three rows. So, that close to the screen, I ended up feeling a tad motion sick.

On the other hand, seeing a close-up of boobies on a massive IMAX screen is indescribably awesome.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

This movie appears to be raking in cash. There's no question there will be a sequel. The same team behind this one wants to make another, and it seemed it was a matter of whether this would be a hit. By now, there's no question this is number one at the box office. It's going to make money hand over fist. Goons all over the place were experiencing packed theaters and sold-out shows. Myself, I got my ticket for a 7:15 showing last night, about two minutes before the show sold out. I got out of the theater just in time to see a massive crowd and hear the announcement that the 9:30 show had just been sold out.

If an announcement for a sequel doesn't come next week, I will be shocked. As for whether this will end up truly being a reboot of the series, as intended, will have to wait until #2 comes out. But like I said last night, I liked it a lot; and if series reboot can sustain what I saw last night, I will be happy.

Also, just a reminder that-- counting Freddy vs. Jason-- the sequel will mark the 13th entry in the series. That hype alone will hopefully ensure something special.

On the other hand, though, I loved the TCM remake and HATED the prequel. I loved the Hills Have Eyes remake and HATED the prequel. I haven't even bothered with the Halloween remake yet. Let's hope F13 remakes don't follow that pattern.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone know how this is doing in Cinemas tonight?
I don't think the numbers are coming out yet, and probably won't for a while. But the U.S. Box Office totals for Friday were $19.3 million. It opened in 3,105 theaters. That's very impressive. I'm sure, what with it being opening night-- and opening night actually falling on a Friday the 13th-- those numbers might be a little lower tonight. Then again, given the number of people that probably came up against sold-out shows, maybe not.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

The jam-packed theater I was in responded very well to the LHotL trailer. Like I said in Slasherfan's thread on that remake, I'm very, very skeptical about the remake and still think it looks like it lacks the balls to go as bleak and dark as the original. The fact that [spoiler]it appears Mari lives[/spoilers] suggests that very strongly. That's one remake that can't just have super-gory deaths to prove its merit. The Hills Have Eyes remake, I feel, did get the original.

Whatever, we'll see.

I'm definitely going to check out Friday the 13th again, but next weekend when it'll hopefully have died down just enough so that I can get a seat that doesn't end with me having a sore-as-hell neck the next morning.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Kaiju posted:

You know? It's funny. Seems like everyone up in here was pretty sweet on Frdiay the 13th, but other horror reviewers that I talk to almost uniformly hated it. I'm still trying to figure out what they didn't like about it.
It's very divisive. Michael Gingold at Fangoria's website didn't really like it. At Dreadcentral, they put up two reviews: one from someone that hated it and one from someone that loved it. There seems to be very little middle ground with this one. I seem to remember the same being true of the TCM redux.

The letters pages of Fangoria should be very interesting in a few months.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Kaiju posted:

I'm starting to see the divide. Casey from Cinema Fromage loved it while Eric from Bloody Good Horror loving loathed it. Mark at Brutal As Hell also wasn't into it, but my own review was extremely positive, so I guess things at this point are starting to balance.

But I definitely think it's a generation gap kinda thing. The old school guys seem to dissect it and compare the flaws to their favorite entries in the old series. Lots of Mears vs. Hodder debates, too. I'm the wild card, apparently. I love the old ones and I'm old enough to have seen a few of them theatrically, but I loved the new one, so... Don't know what that says about me.
I'm with you, I think. I'm going to be 29 in a month. I grew up on the old school stuff. I've been a horror fanatic from the beginning. I feel as protective of these movies as the next guy. And still, I have no idea what separates me from my peers. There's definitely a generation gap with the younger crowd. But I can't explain why I can like something like this while still feeling protective of the original and someone else like me might not. It's just something that has to be divisive.

I think there are just certain movies that are so precious to a person that you can't let go. I'm so attached to a movie like The Wicker Man, that I was determined to hate the remake. The fact that it was awful anyway is of no consequence. Similarly, I was positive there was no way I could stomach a remake of Near Dark, and so I was relieved when it was canceled (especially since it was apparently canceled because it was going to be too close to Twilight). I can come up with other examples as well.

The people in our group can explain why they like it, just as those in our group who hate it or were even just "meh" about it can vocalize their objections. But with anyone who becomes a horror enthusiast at an early age, there are always going to be certain things that are just too precious, no matter what. There's always going to be some emotional connection that you make with the original that simply cannot be broken, even if the remake is loved by everyone else. It goes beyond saying "To each their own". It's why we collectively take such offense when studios pump out pure crap to please the PG-13 crowd. It was never about lack of gore. It was always about desecration of a genre we love.

That's why this remake-- like any-- was going to be divisive from the start. High School kids now who never bothered to watch the originals, who never grew up on them, are less likely to care. But people like us who are old enough, and younger goons who love horror enough to engage in compassionate discussion, are always going to have different emotional queues associated with different movies.

So when I read posts or reviews from my peers who didn't care for a flick like this that I did like, I still get it.

And for the record, I'm definitely a Hodder fan. And I have to say, Mears was fantastic. He's a worthy heir to the mask. But Hodder is... well, it's fuckin' Hodder, man! I still can't help but feel a slight grudge that he wasn't in Freddy vs. Jason, let alone this.

e: still no official updated totals, but I forgot this was a holiday weekend (I don't have off) and estimates are that this will go at least $60 million for the full opening weekend. Seems reasonable to me.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 15, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

cool kids inc. posted:

Well no. Generally movies about monster-like serial killers with a penchant for nasty bloody kills and lots of boobs and drug use isn't for kids of any age (14 and down I suppose).

Parents piss me off sometimes.

Why the HELL would you take a child to see something this nasty and gory is beyond me. How irresponsible can you get??
There was some parents that took their three small thildren, all of which had to be under ten to my theater on opening night. Sat in the second row. They seemed OK, but I still thought (and think) it was incredibly inappropriate to do something like that.

Back when Event Horizon was in theaters, some parents brought their baby. The husband had to keep leaving because the baby wouldn't stop crying and screaming. I want to know what they're thought process was. Bringing an infant to a very loud R-rated horror movie: how did they expect things to go? Not to mention how inconsiderate it is.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Pet Rock Band posted:

I hate getting into genre dick-waving, but this is more Slashers than Horror.
Oh man, not this debate. I hate this debate. :sigh:

Hell, I get exhausted just thinking about it now.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like Laid To Rest is getting a very limited release.

March 18, Studio Movie Grill, Dallas, TX 8:30 PM
March 19, Studio Movie Grill, Houston, TX 7:30 PM
March 26, AMC Pipers Alley, Chicago, IL 7:30 PM
April 2, Village East, New York, NY 9:30 PM
April 6, Alamo Drafthouse, Austin, TX 9:30 PM
April 9, TBD, Phoenix, AZ 9:30 PM
April 16, TBD, Baltimore, MD 9:30 PM

Anyone interested?
Nowhere near enough to me. Closest is NY, and that's still a helluva drive.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

The Remote Viewer posted:

What the hell is this?

http://www.gobstoppermovie.com/

It looks like a parody trailer...but on the other hand, that does look like Christopher Lloyd.
That is so awesome. I'm actually disappointed that isn't real. That's really, really funny. And like Liquid Penguins said, Christopher Lloyd rules.

Slasherfan posted:

Sorority Row trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifNOIaUtSU
Wow, I remember this movie when it was called I Know What You Did Last Summer.*

*Yeah, I know IKWYDLS wasn't exactly the most original movie, but serious, come on.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 20, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I remember this movie when it was called House On Sorority Row and came out in 1983.
Yeah, fair enough.

I'm not saying it looks bad necessarily-- just incredibly mediocre. I never saw the original, though, so I don't know.

Slasherfan posted:

Kind of funny, when I Know What You Did Last Summer came out everyone complained it totally ripped of House On Sorority Row, now that that remake is out, people are saying it rips off I Know What You Did Last Summer.
Yeah, again, you have a good point. Last House on Sorority Row has just been one of those movies that's always flown under my radar. I knew about it vaguely, but it was just never one of those slashers I bothered to see. Which is strange since I pretty much filled myself in on everything growing up. It just never struck me as one of those movies that was super-revered enough for me to care about. And anyway, I don't think I ever came across anyway that had it on VHS anyway; so the opportunity never presented itself to begin with.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Both of the Landis episodes-- Deer Woman and Family-- are fantastic and hilarious as well.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

This isn't a slasher, but since our general horror discussion thread is probably long gone at this point, I'll bring it up here. Any of you guys heard of a flick going straight to DVD in a couple weeks called The Burrowers? It's a creature flick set in the old American west. Oh, and it has Clancy Brown. Fangoria has a nice article about it in the current issue, and the buzz surrounding it seems to be very positive.

Dread Central has the trailer posted here

Here is a description of the plot:

quote:

In case you aren't sure, the plot for The Burrowers goes like this: "It is 1879 in the Dakota Territories. A handful of brave pioneers maintain isolated settlements in the badlands beyond civilization. Irish Immigrant Fergus Coffey is near to winning the hand of his beloved Maryanne when she is suddenly taken from him, her family brutally abducted in a nighttime attack on their homestead. Suspicion falls immediately on hostile Indians. Experienced Indian fighters Will Parcher and John Clay form a posse and set out to rescue the kidnapped settlers, taking along a naïve teenager hoping to prove himself a man, an ex-slave looking to find his place in the world and their ranch-hand, Coffey. But as men vanish in the night and horrific evidence accumulates with the dead and dying, the group discovers that their prey is far more terrifying than anything human, and their prospects are far more terrible than death.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Here's a one-page from Fangoria on the show, if anyone's interested.

Also, Jackie Earle Haley as the new Freddie actually goes a long way to giving me more confidence in this remake.

e: Here's a longer promo for Harper's Island (if you want to go in knowing as little as humanly possible, then you should probably skip it).

I'm actually looking forward to this. I really, really hope it's good.

Also, seeing as how the show is this week, does anyone want to go ahead an create a thread for it so we can start to get some awareness going before Thursday? If no one else wants to, I could put one together. But if somebody is already working on something, I don't want to step on any toes.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 5, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

TV IV thread for Harper's Island is here.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So Dread Central now has two separate reviews up for Laid to Rest up-- one by Heather and one by Uncle Creepy. Both give the movie 4/5. I'm really looking forward to checking this out.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/laid-rest-dvd
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/laid-rest-2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

The Remote Viewer posted:

I wonder if TCM has any relation to this scottish legend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean

Sawney, Sawyer...kinda similar.
Don't know, but that's where Wes Craven got the idea for The Hills Have Eyes.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So apparently it's official and Kevin Williamson is going forward with a "reboot" of the Scream franchise, including talking to Courtney Cox and David Arquette about coming back in some way. I think Wes Craven has said he'd be willing to be involved if he liked the script.

I find this to be a supremely stupid idea.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Secks posted:

The Friday the 13th Blu-Ray release has a nine-minute preview of the much-anticipated Trick 'r Treat that is finally coming out this Halloween (in select theaters and on DVD).
How long have we been waiting for this now? Three years? Goddamn, it's about time.

timeandtide posted:

Great news about the sequel to the Friday the 13th Remake: they want to set it in winter, in the snow, and they read a lot of comments about people wanting more creative kills and have told the writers to go wild.

I can't wait to see this--next year, I assume.
In the snow? Goddamn, that would be awesome!

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

It's looking like Halloween 2 and Final Destination 4 are oping on the same day, just wondering which one you guys will be seeings. I'd vote FD4, love the first 3, the trailer is cool and it's 3-D, shame the title sucks (The Final Destination?!?!?).
I hated the first Halloween remake, the trailer for part 2 is terrible, just saw a TV spot that looked like it had deleted scenes from House Of 1000 Corpses in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9d16y3atA
I'll end up seeing both but Final Destination 4 is my top piority at the moment.
Yeah, this is a no-brainer for me: FD4.

I finally got around to seeing the Halloween remake last weekend. Well, I should say I got around to trying to see the Halloween remake. I knew I was in trouble when it opened with a 10+ minute intro of young Michael Myers and his lovely home life. I think I made it halfway through the movie before I just couldn't take it anymore. Bad acting, completely missed the point of Myers, about as much suspense as a Carebears episode. I have no intention of seeing the sequel.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what makes it a good remake, even if it's not a 'good' remake. He's not slavishly copying the original while also dumbing it down and including in-jokey references. It's like the thing or the fly - completely different, but thematically similar enough to justify keeping the name.
I don't think the failing was that he didn't slavishly copy the original. He could have gone in his own direction and still not have failed. But his remake was full of flaws.

For one, why add all the unnecessary stuff about Michael Myers and his hosed-up white-trash life when you're still going to portray him as a psycho even as a kid? For one, the thing that makes Michael Myers so scary to begin with is that there is no reason for his actions: he's the pure embodiment of evil. That's it. No reason. He's evil incarnate. So even if you try to "explain" Myers by saying he had a horrifically abusive childhood and snapped, that takes all the terror out of it and turns him into nothing but a run-of-the-mill serial killer. Except, Zombie's flashbacks didn't even do that. Myers is already a hosed up psycho kids, yet we need all this background on his home life for... what reason? In the original, it seems like his sister's sexuality is the catalyst that finally snaps him. But he was evil, and he was going to be evil no matter what. With Zombie, suddenly it's fifteen loving minutes of the life and times of the white trash. I don't get why that was necessary. It came off as stupid and goofy to me, not scary.

Two, the acting was awful. Laurie was especially unbearable. We're supposed to identify with her/root for her and yet she drove me away from the movie. And between her and the other characters and the acting and the dialogue, I literally couldn't sit through the movie after 45 minutes.

This is why I think Zombie shouldn't be remaking jack poo poo. I actually really like House of 1000 Corpses for what it is. And I think Devil's Rejects is a fantastic movie. But Halloween was just loving bad. And I wanted to like it; I was determined to like it. And I still hated it.

Zombie has real talent as a director. But Halloween is not good or even passable. Maybe the sequel will be different, but I'm not holding my breath.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So you guys want to see a nice gory pick from FD4? This is kinda spoiler-y, so don't click on the link if you want to go into the movie knowing as little as possible. Also, I put NWS tags on it just to be safe. There's no nudity or anything. But it's gory, so, you know, yada yada yada your own discretion and all that jazz.

:nws:http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32461/spoiler-y-image-from-the-final-destination:nws:

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

timeandtide posted:

Well, Orphan is almost out and Ebert gave it...3 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe it's better than I thought.
drat, you're right. He absolutely loved it.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090722/REVIEWS/907229993

quote:

After seeing "Orphan," I now realize that Damien of "The Omen" was a model child. The Demon Seed was a bumper crop. Rosemary would have been happy to have this baby. Here is a shamelessly effective horror film based on the most diabolical of movie malefactors, a child.

Pity. Esther is such a bright child. So well-behaved. Her paintings are so masterful. She sits down at the piano and rips off a little Tchaikovsky. So why does her adoptive mother have such a fearful attitude toward her? Could it be because after her arrival, Kate, her new mom, got drunk and almost let her son Daniel drown? Had Max, a darling daughter, but then miscarried a third child? Is an alcoholic trying go stay sober? Just doesn’t like the little orphan girl’s looks?

There is something eerie about her. Something too wise, too knowing, too penetrating. And why won’t she remove those ribbons she always wears? And why does she dress like Little Bo-Peep when she goes to school? Daniel is cool toward her. Max is too young to be sure. Only John, the father, is convinced she’s a bright kid, and blameless in a series of unfortunate events.

Vera Farmiga is at the film’s core as Kate, a onetime Yale music professor who feels she is unfairly targeted by her therapist, her husband and eventually the authorities. Peter Sarsgaard is John, the kind of understanding husband who doesn’t understand a damned thing except that he is understanding. And Esther, the orphan, is played by Isabelle Fuhrman, who is not going to be convincing as a nice child for a long, long time.

"Orphan" hinges on a classic thriller device: the heroine who knows the truth and insists on it, even though everyone is convinced she’s mad and wants to ship her off to rehab or even a mental institution. It’s frustrating to know you’re right when no one can see the truth you find so obvious.

Things happen around Esther. A child falls from a playground slide. A car rolls down a hill. A nun comes into harm’s way. Esther spreads disinformation. She’s secretive. And sometimes she’s so perfect, you want to wring her neck. When it turns out the orphanage has faulty info on Esther’s Russian origins, Kate starts sniffing around in what her husband dismisses as paranoia.

"Orphan" begins like your usual thriller, with Scare Alerts and False Alarms. You know, like a nice, peaceful shot until suddenly the sound blares and something rushes past the camera and — hey, it’s only kids. We even get the old standby where Kate is looking in the medicine cabinet and closes it and ohmigod! — there’s another face in the mirror! But hey, it’s only her smiling husband.

Sarsgaard is well-cast in the role. He looks normal, sounds pleasant and yet can suggest something a little twitchy. Not that he’s evil. Simply that he really should trust his wife more. Really.

How the movie handles the other children, Daniel and Max, would probably have offended Gene Siskel, who had a thing about movies exploiting children in danger. This one sure does. What with the treehouse and the pond and the runaway SUV, it’s amazing these kids are still able to function.

The climax is rather startling, combining the logic of the situation with audacity in exploiting its terror. Yet you have to hand it to "Orphan." You want a good horror film about a child from hell, you got one. Do not, under any circumstances, take children to see it. Take my word on this.

It's currently at 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't know what to think. Ebert's review makes me want to check it out, though.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 23, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

timeandtide posted:

I was just mentioning it here since we talked about it a few times and this is sort of a general place for horror talk.
Yeah, that's how I take it too. This may have been started to talk about upcoming slashers, but there's no longer a general horror megathread so I've always just sort of turned to this one as such.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I'm actually starting to get kind of excited about about FD4. I've never bothered to go to a 3D movie because any of the other instances I've been exposed to 3D I've felt like it doesn't really work and I always worry that, since I wear glasses to begin with, fitting those paper glasses over my regular glasses is part of the reason it doesn't work so well on me or something. I hope I'm mistaken, because I'm actually starting to look forward to this.

I've said this before but I'm not even going to bother with Halloween 2. I hated the first one so much I couldn't even finish watching it.

Has there been any talk about Deadgirl in this thread yet? I can't remember. It's supposed to play very limited and then hit DVD in October and it's getting a tremendous amount of buzz. There's also I Sell the Dead which I really, really, really want to see but probably won't get to until it hits DVD (although I thought I read that IFC was going to make the movie available this month for purchase through On Demand).

Here's a trailer for I Sell the Dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSDVWxGg4I8

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

New 3D movies are a lot more awesome then stuff just flying out at you, and they don't use the old style cardboard glasses anymore, they have different plastic ones that fit over glasses easy.
Awesome, thanks!

The last time I tried to watch a 3D movie it was the DVD of Freddy's Dead that came with the Nightmare boxset and I wasn't that impressed and I was worried it was just me.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

This seems interesting.

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11414

Now all we need is a cinema that sprays a bit of water at you.
Wow, things really do go full circle, don't they? We've rediscovered 3D, and now people are starting to use the same gimmicks William Castle did with movies like The Tingler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tingler#Percepto:_.22Scream_for_your_lives.21.22

quote:

For "Percepto!" William Castle attached electrical "buzzers" to the underside of several seats in the auditorium. The buzzers were small surplus vibrators left over from World War II. They had been installed inside the wings of air craft and when activated would vibrate to help de-ice the wings by shaking and cracking the ice. The cost of this equipment added $250,000 to the film's budget. It was predominantly used in the larger theaters.

During the climax of the film, the tingler escaped into a movie theater. On screen the projected film appeared to break as the silhouette of the tingler moved across the projection beam. The film went black, all lights in the auditorium were turned off and Vincent Price's voice warned the audience "The Tingler is loose in THIS theater! Scream! Scream for your lives!" This cued the theatre projectionist to activate the buzzers and give several audience members an unexpected jolt.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just find it kind of amusing.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I'm not sure whether or not this warrants creating a new thread. But today, Yahoo! Movies has the trailer for Universal's remake of The Wolfman.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/the-wolfman.html?showVideo=1

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

PsychoGoatee posted:

This looks like a pretty solid remake. Big shoes to fill, but I'm a Benicio fan, and I'm liking the look of this so far.
I am too. It feels like we've been waiting forever for this movie. In fact-- what has it been, two years? So the movie has a lot of hype to live up to and the trailer doesn't disappoint. I'm actually bummed that we still have to wait until February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Want a sneak peak at the opening scene from Sorority Row?
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33173/see-opening-scene-sorority-row

Now I have to go see this movie just so I can see all of these girls die horrible deaths. Only around three minutes, and I already loathe all of them beyond belief.