Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had so much loving fun watching that movie.

I had to drive an hour and 15 minutes away from home, because that's where the nearest theater showing this in 3D is, but it was so worth it.

The plot was pretty stupid, yeah, but who gives a gently caress? I mean, I went in there to have a pickaxe shoved through my head without actually dying, and it definitely delivered.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, don't go see this in 3D (and certainly not 2D). But if you're in it for the visual effects and 3D trickery like I was, I'm sure you'll find yourself entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lizardman posted:

EDIT: Did anyone else notice a flash/spotlight or something sweep over the audience whenever the on-screen killer's helment-mounted light appeared? Maybe it was someone else in the audience trying to be funny but it'd be pretty cool if this was an intentional part of the experience.

I noticed this too. Pretty sure it was intentional :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So since I loved the TCM remake, I'll probably love Friday The 13th?

(I hated the remake of Halloween, though.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw it tonight and loved it. It was packed to the brim with cheese, weed and tits, and it was GLORIOUS. The kills were kind of repetitive, but it was still fun to see people get impaled for 2 hours.

Also, was anyone else's mind blown at the 30 minute long intro? Everybody was dying so fast and I thought the movie was just sucking, but then FRIDAY THE 13TH comes up on the screen and I was simultaneously confused and elated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched that His Name Was Jason documentary earlier today and it looks like I'll have to go back and watch all of the past movies. So far I've only seen Part 1, Freddy VS Jason, and the remake, but Part 7, Jason Takes Manhattan, and Jason X in particular all look pretty interesting and like they'd be worth a watch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PsychoGoatee posted:

Part 4: The Final Chapter is the best one, easily the best with the original series formula. Part 6: Jason Lives is also drat good, and hell Part 2 is very cool also. Tommy Jarvis, Jason's nemesis, is featured prominently in 4 and 6.

Jason X is pretty much just Jason killing people in funny ways in a tongue-in-cheek movie, which is done way better in 6: Jason Lives.

Plus part 4 has both Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman, so you know its the best. :c00l:

There were a bunch of numbers to keep track of, so I'm not sure if I'm correct on this or not, but isn't 6 the one where it's not Jason at all but an impersonator? That doesn't sound too cool.

And X just sounds awesome to me because it's Jason 400 years in the future killing dudes in space. That just blows my mind on so many levels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PsychoGoatee posted:

Part V: A New Beginning is the one with an impostor, thats one you can skip. Part 6: Jason Lives is the return of good ol' Jason, after his last appearance in Part 4: The Final Chapter. :3:

Oh, alright :) I'll check it out. Thanks!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I watched The New Blood, Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X tonight. New Blood and X were both loving awful, and Manhattan was pretty stupid too, except for a few awesome parts. I've still gotta watch Jason Goes To Hell, but from what one of my friends told me, it sounds pretty loving ridiculous and enjoyable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PsychoGoatee posted:

Oh man, you've got to watch Part 4: The Final Chapter and Part 6: Jason Lives. Please, oh man, you'll thank me later. :c00lbert:

Didn't care much for Part 4 when I watched it earlier today, but I just finished watching Part 6 and thought it was the best one in the series. Thank you! Haha

Also, I watched Jason Goes To Hell and it wasn't nearly as entertaining as it seemed like it'd be. The part where the coroner eats Jason's heart and his face starts melting off was extremely awesome, but that was about the only cool part of the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DominoDancing posted:

Well, that's where the series went after part 5. I can't really say I liked it, so I'm happy that, from what I've read here, the remake is more like part 1-4.

It really is. Except I think it's better.

The first few parts all feel very dated. And I know I'm just watching them now for the first time so I'm sure I don't appreciate them as much as I probably would have had I seen them when they were brand new, but the remake just feels a lot stronger.

I felt bored while watching the first few parts. I definitely saw potential for them to be awesome, but they just didn't seem to live up to the hype and didn't really hold my attention. I never felt bored while watching the remake, though. I guess it's just because it's new and pretty and easier to relate to, but I just had a hell of a lot more fun watching that one than the originals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is something I'd been wondering about for a while and sorta on topic: A few weeks after MBV3D came out, I saw that a cam version (of 3D, not 2D) had been released on some torrent site. I still have my glasses from when I saw MBV3D in theaters, so if I were to watch something like that on my computer with the glasses on, would it have all the 3D effects that I saw in the theater?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dread Central posted:

we'll take the lessons we learned from TFD and make the necessary improvements to deliver what audiences expect from this franchise, going back to the original

Wasn't this same exact thing said before TFD was made?

I liked TFD. It wasn't a great movie, but that's not what the Final Destination series is about. They're some of the funniest horror-comedies I've seen in the past decade. That's pretty much all they're good for.

I don't think they should be trying to make future Final Destination movies better necessarily, just as good as the previous installments, and with different insane kills for each entry in the series so they're set apart. I know that'll keep me watching for at least a couple more movies before they get completely worn out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

the_psychologist posted:

Oh deary me.

I just got done watching The Human Centipede.

I must say, it's a real goddamn horror movie, not just an exercise in shock gore. The killer is also a truly classic character, played with much gusto. In general, the movie takes itself seriously, so don't be fooled into thinking it's comedy like Dead Alive or Evil Dead II. THC will leave the room quiet after it's over. Great final shot, too. Most horror movies wish they had 1/2 the impact of this one.

Ugh.

I watched this the other night. After seeing the trailer a couple times, I seriously wasn't expecting much. It looked ridiculous and stupid, but not like it would actually watchable for the entire running time, let alone enjoyable.

To my surprise, it was actually pretty engaging. I'd go so far as to say it's the first horror movie I've seen in a very long time to make me physically uncomfortable for more than, say, one scene.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

Final Destination 5 has been titled 5nal Destination and the opening disaster will be A suspension bridge collapses.

:rolleyes:

So the characters will die in the order they would have had they gone down with the bridge like they were supposed to?

That seems pretty lame by Final Destination standards. I mean, look at its history. First, a plane full of high school kids explodes. Then like 50 cars/18-wheelers/motorcycles/etc. collide on a highway and blow up in a gigantic loving fireball. Then a roller coaster full of high school kids goes haywire and they all end up dead. Then a car race goes awry and the stadium it's held in falls apart and a fuckton of people end up dying from it.

A bunch of people falling off a bridge that collapses might be slightly more realistic, but realism isn't why I watch the Final Destination movies. I watch them because they're goddamn hilarious, considering they have some of the most ridiculous deaths of any contemporary movies.

The first one kind of took itself too seriously, then the series started getting more unbelievable and humorous. By the third one, the creators were just having a grand old time doing whatever the gently caress they wanted. And if this series is to continue, that's how I think it should stay.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Shrooms at a friend's house on Netflix Instant View. I fell asleep about 15 minutes into the movie, woke up half an hour later and hoped it had gotten more exciting, then fell asleep 5 minutes later.

I rarely ever fall asleep during movies. Shrooms was just really, really dull.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw The Human Centipede last night for the second time. The difference this time was that I was in a theater full of people (a local theater does a midnight movie series and showed Human Centipede this weekend) as opposed to just me and a few friends at home.

It was pretty great seeing some audience members laugh, some gasp, and some just flat out leave because they were about to throw up. But honestly, it wasn't as shocking as the first time. Partly because I'd seen it before, but also because between last night and the first time I saw it, I'd seen A Serbian Film. Everything else just seems light compared to that movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

XIII posted:

So, a couple friends and I watched A Serbian Film last night and, strange as it may sound, enjoyed it. Can't say that we were too shocked or anything by it though, which was a letdown. We basically sat and cracked jokes over everything. I think a combination of the internet and years of horror movies have broken me.....

I cracked jokes with friends the first time I watched A Serbian Film (just as I did the second time. That's really the only way to watch it, is with a big group of friends who may or may not be disgusted and/or amused by it.), but I can't say I enjoyed it. That's like saying you enjoyed seeing Goatse for the first time.

I've seen some awful poo poo on the internet too, so I wasn't as phased by it as, say, someone who's never been online before. But it was still disgusting, just as all the gross things I've seen online are.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's two different versions? It hasn't been officially released on DVD/Blu-Ray or anything, so I assumed the one that's been floating around the internet since last summer, the one that everyone has seen, is the only version.

If that was a cut version and there's a version worse than that, then holy poo poo :aaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

It's been released in the UK cut. This site here tells you what has been cut
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=358631

Phew, so I did see it uncut then. Not that it was a light movie by any means, I just couldn't think of how the movie could've topped itself if the version I saw which I thought was uncut turned out to have been the cut version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I keep hearing good things about Insidious and it has me scratching my head. The trailers made it look like nothing more than a mediocre Paranormal Activity clone.

Maybe the trailers just did a piss poor job of showing how awesome the movie really is (if that's the case).

I pretty much have to see it now, though, to see whether everyone who's seen it is right, or whether my instincts were right when I saw the trailers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Insidious tonight and god drat. The first half was pretty boring and made me think it was just another "the house is possessed" movie like Paranormal Activity, but the minute ideas of astral projection and getting lost in another world while having an out-of-body experience came into play, I got very interested. Then the last half hour or so was loving terrifyingly terrific.

It explored concepts I don't think I've ever seen in a movie, concepts that I've always found interesting personally, so needless to say I loved it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought Slither was pretty amusing and underrated (nobody I know has ever even heard of it), but it wasn't the most memorable movie ever. I saw it back in '06 when it came out and then again early last year, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's the kind of movie that's fun to watch every few years, but isn't great enough to watch it more frequently than that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/finaldestination5/

Trailer!

This entry looks really good, very impressed by the trailer, looks a lot better then Final Destination 4, can't wait to see how the rules have changed.

This looks more like FD2. That is, more serious in its tone, but still having deaths that simultaneously make me cringe and laugh way too hard.

I think FD3 will always be my favorite because of just how goddamn goofy it is. It's so campy, and so much fun to watch.

The Final Destination was pretty good, but not as memorable as the rest. And I still hate the first one because I think it takes itself way too seriously.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

I saw a trailer for 'The Last Exorcism' recently and it creeped me the gently caress out. Is the movie worth seeing?

It's the only exorcist-branded film I've been genuinely creeped out by/enjoyed besides the original. So yeah, I'd say it's definitely worth checking out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jazz babies posted:

Here we go again, Paranormal Activity 3:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/paranormal-activity-3/trailer

This actually seems kind of interesting. And I won't lie, the last shot at the end freaked me out. :gonk:

Jesus, same here. I've got chills.

I'm glad they're going the prequel route. The sisters in the first two mention what happened to them as kids several times, so it's logical that they would explore that part of the story.

I'm pretty interested to see it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wormil posted:

I started watching Insidious the other night it seemed to be a well made but very by the numbers ghost story with quite a few jump scares. I got bored roughly halfway through and turned it off. I made it far enough to learn the boy was doing astral projection. Knowing that, is there any payoff worth watching the last half or should I send it back and get the next DVD in my queue?

If you didn't dig that concept, then you probably won't enjoy the end. You find out that the dad used to be able to astral project too, so he astral projects and goes into The Further and rescues the son.

Did you see the part where the team of ghost hunters goes around the house trying to find out what's wrong and eventually goes into the kid's room and it gets loving destroyed by the demon? Or the seance-like scene with the main ghost hunter woman putting on the gas mask and convulsing while one of her assistants writes down what she's hearing the demon saying and it's all stuff like "I'm coming to kill you, you loving bitch" over and over again?

I don't know, I thought it was pretty loving awesome and a nice change of pace from other recent horror movies I'd seen. The last horror movie I can remember really enjoying before it was The Last Exorcism. Well, either that or Paranormal Activity 2. They both came out around the same time, I think.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 9, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone see Final Destination 5?

Saw it earlier today in 3D.

I enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't the high point of the series for me. That'd be 2 and 3. The deaths in this one were cool, but a couple of them felt like stuff I'd already seen (like the acupuncture death was like something I'd seen on 1000 Ways To Die and the laser eye surgery gone wrong death was like that one part in Dead Space 2 where if you didn't successfully complete a minigame, your character would die an agonizing death), so it wasn't as innovative or goofy as previous installments in the series.

And the 3D wasn't anything to write home about. It wasn't as cool as, say, My Bloody Valentine 3D or Piranha 3D as far as 3D horror movies go.

The ending was loving cool, though. I hadn't had it spoiled for me beforehand so I was kinda surprised when it happened.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 14, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

weekly font posted:

So Rubber. That, uh, sure was a movie, right? :crossarms:

I watched it really late at night and fell in and out of sleep during the movie. I missed entire scenes, but somehow I felt like I didn't miss a thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Juanito posted:

Full trailer to Human Centipede 2 is out.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/26487

I'll admit, I want to watch it.

This looks sick. I've heard a bunch of negative press, but I don't give a gently caress. It looks like a lower-budget, gorier sequel and I'm incredibly excited.

It's premiering here in New Orleans on October 14th and you bet I'm gonna be there at midnight when it opens.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Assinine posted:

I'm guessing it will be at the Prytania? AMC doesn't have it listed.

Sure is! :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slaaargh! posted:

Just saw Paranormal Activity 3. Not as good as the second one (the best in my opinion), and the ending was rather blah..

The grandmother is a witch, and is marrying her grand-daughter to an invisible demon? WHAT?

However, it was refreshingly funny at parts, just not very creepy/scary, let's just hope they never ever make a part four.

Aren't they dirt cheap to make and turn out a hell of a profit? Same as the Saw series, more or less? Like that series, there will probably be more installments to come for years.

I'm pretty excited to see PA3. The trailer was creepy as hell and I loved the second one (didn't care much for the first one).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WickedIcon posted:

e: Tokyo Gore Police has a guy getting his legs chopped off and using the geysers of blood that shoot out as a jetpack

And a guy losing his dick but getting it replaced with a pulse cannon :cool:

That movie is hilariously amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

weekly font posted:

It's not even close to a shot for shot remake.

How? I've heard this before and I don't get it. I saw Let Me In in theaters and it seemed like a shot for shot remake of the original with none of the amazing atmosphere of the original.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I guess I remember the minor differences between the two now. Let The Right One In is still the better of the two though, I think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BisonDollah posted:

Bug had a final 30 minutes I just couldn't take my eyes off of - Michael Shannon was superb! A great wee horror flick indeed.

This was filmed at my high school :3: Though it was shot on a set built in our gym, I think.

I watched it once a few years ago. It was decent. Nothing I'd want to re-watch multiple times. Pretty uncomfortable at times, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Really? I watched Hostel 3 the other night and thought it was loving godawful, but then again I watched it while half-asleep. Was it really that much better than the impression I got from it? Should I give it another shot?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So far we have Insidious and Sinister as far as one-word adjective titles go. What's next? Malevolent?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mouser.. posted:

Ahem....

And it's already had a prequel made to it named Bereavement

Holy poo poo, I was kidding :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I stopped following the The Thing thread when it inevitably turned into a sperg fest, but I know this hasn't been posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCq_c3wOM8

82' The Thing done in the style of claymation cartoon Pingu.

This is a work of art :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw The Woman In Black. Pretty boring. Not much happened, and it wasn't even super atmospheric. I wouldn't recommend it.