Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Just got back from My Bloody Valentine 3-D. I was willing to forgive a lot of faults, because I love a good slasher movie, but I can't bring myself to say it was any good. Some of the 3-D effects were pretty cool, but outside of that and a couple lines that were so corny that they were funny (mostly from Mr. Tom Atkins), the movie was pretty dull and even dumber than the usual slasher flick.

Here's hoping the Friday the 13th remake brings the goods. Then again I'm a huge fanboy of the series and have enjoyed every Jason movie to some degree at least, so it may take a hell of a lot to get me to hate this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

PsychoGoatee posted:

Ok, think of Freddy as catlike, where as Jason or Michael Myers are a rottweiler. Or an angry bear. :3:

And he's a real prankster, like when he stuck his tongue through the phone. I just hope they don't make Freddy all "extreme". The man has class. At least, until the end of the film when he's had enough.

I see where you are coming from, but I personally wouldn't call the gag where he sticks his tongue through the phone "classy" or "prank-ish". That and the "I'm your boyfriend now" line make it like one step removed from an attempted rape. His only other real gags in that one are slicing himself open and cutting his own fingers off. Beyond that, there aren't many flashes of his personality at all, so I'd say overall he comes across as a pretty menacing and sinister killer who likes to taunt his victims (especially Nancy).

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Just watched New Nightmare again last night. I think as a movie in general, it is right behind the original Nightmare as the best in the series. As a horror/slasher movie, I'd put it behind the first and third. I love the different direction it takes the series and all the callbacks to the other films, but the first hour or so is kind of dull.

I haven't seen Nightmare 4 all the way through in at least 10 years, so I'm going to rewatch it this weekend and see where I would put it in relation to the others.

And I am one of those who thinks Friday the 13th Part 4 is the best in the series. It has the most gruesome kills, is one of the few in the series that is intentionally funny at times, and has that awesome Crispin Glover dancing scene.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

Part VI is played mostly as a comedy actually.

I know, and it's pretty funny in parts, but a lot of the humor is sort of corny, like the movie is a half-step away from parodying itself. Same goes for Jason X (though Jason X slips into total self-parody). I think Part IV has legitimately funny moments which hit even harder because the movie as a whole is pretty dark and serious.

Edit: outside of the more ridiculous parts in Jason X, I've never laughed harder in the series than when the coroner in Part IV is making out with the nurse and Jason's hand falls on top of them. His overboard reaction is hilarious. "Jesus Christmas! Holy Jesus goddamn! Holy Jesus jumping Christmas poo poo!"

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 6, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

That House of the Devil looks pretty awesome, I hope it gets a national release fairly soon. I kind of wish we got more throwbacks to older horror movies like that instead of fifty more slasher film remakes.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I felt it ran into the same problem 98% of horror/suspense films do, in that the buildup is always much better than the payoff. Luckily for House of the Devil, the mediocre final act takes up a pretty small part of the running time and everything leading up to it is phenomenal. The movie also got me to like "One Thing Leads to Another," when I never really cared about the song before.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

Lake Mungo was slow but absolutely fantastic for watching at like two in the morning, so you haters can go hate on something that actually sucks

Yeah I think Lake Mungo was pretty good, though you'll be pretty disappointed if you go into it looking for another Paranormal Activity. It's really more of a slightly eerie drama with one or two scary moments than an actual horror film.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Darko posted:

I actually don't mind the idea of "there are these horrible things out there and no God." That's kind of why I mentioned Hellraiser/Berserk - Cenobites, before being screwed up, aren't demons, and the intent (of the story, 1st movie) is basically that Heaven and Hell are the same thing and not "good" at all. Infinite pleasure is infinite pain, and the next level of understanding is a horrible road to get there.

Once things are defined to "ghost" or "Christian demon," then it starts to lose a lot of that. Which is what most possession/ghost movies actually are. When I see Paranormal Activity, all i think of is, "why is that demon such a dick" or "oh look, it pushed a chair, how lame is that" as opposed to fear. Whereas something that gets into a more Lovecraftian unknown actually taps into the imagination centers of my mind.

Is the demon in the original Paranormal Activity explicity a Christian demon though? I remember them leaving it intentionally vague and not based on any specific theology. That's part of what I remember loving about the movie, that they didn't explain a whole lot about what was terrorizing them beyond it being a demon that didn't want anything rational from them other than to cause pain and suffering. I didn't catch the fourth movie yet, but I didn't like that they tried to provide more of a rationale for the demon to be attached to Kate as the series went on.

I caught The Conjuring this weekend, and my thoughts are pretty similar to the comments I've seen in the last few pages. Parts of it were very well-done, but the characterization was really weak. I do think it had the best exorcism scene I've seen in a while, usually those don't do much for me. It also had some of the best sound design of any horror film I've seen. There's a scene where they use this really loud, deep rumble that shakes the walls of the theater to provide a scare during a tense scene. I thought that was a really cool alternative to the usual SUDDEN LOUD NOISE that movies use to get a jump scare.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I think in general it would be better if people just didn't see movies in genres that don't work for them rather than wanting the entire genre to go away. I mean it's fine if you don't like possession movies but that doesn't mean everybody doesn't like possession movies.

Demon/Possession and haunted house movies are my favorite types of horror films, so I'm going to be a bit sad when the current trends die off.

Speaking of demon movies, I totally missed that Last Exorcism 2 came out earlier this year. The critic reviews seem to be especially horrible, did the thread have a different consensus about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I rewatched Halloween II for the first time in years last night. Dean Cundey probably should have been nominated for an Oscar for that...the only reason the movie works at all is because it looks great. The scene where the nurse backs up to a totally black background and Michael Myers's mask slowly appears behind her is incredible.