Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Here's the problem with Zombie's Halloween remake.

Originally, Micheal Myers was a normal kid from the suburbs/small town midwest who, for no apparent reason, murdered his entire family. His psychiatrist figured out that it was because of the presence of Pure Evil within the kid. The entire point was, there was no real logical reason for Myers to become a killer, and it's scary because the implication is that any kid anywhere could go on a murder spree at any time and nobody would see it coming.

In the remake, all of that was thrown out the window. Myers came from a broken home, his mom was a stripper, his (step?)dad was an abusive alcoholic, he got bullied at school, he enjoyed killing small animals (a common sign of a serial killer in the making.) The entire mystery of why Myers was a killer was gone.

Then, once all the supernatural elements were taken out, Myers still had superhuman strength and was bulletproof. In the original, there were hints of supernaturality, so I can accept some superhuman abilities from Myers. In the remake, it didn't make sense other than he's a slasher, so of course he's unstoppable.

I thought the remake was actually a pretty good movie, on it's own. It just wasn't a very good Halloween movie. I would have preferred it if Rob Zombie had changed the title, the character's names, and used a different mask. It could still be kind of an homage to Halloween that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Rorschach is the new Freddy Krueger.