Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Stop being obtuse and read the white papers I posted.
Again, read the white papers I posted. You are demonstrating that you have some very inadequate knowledge about malware.
I read the white papers, and it's a fascinating (if dated) piece of malware. This doesn't change the fact that mindphlux's SOP as posted will detect the presence of the malware (especially if you add in my caveat of an offline scan, which is just SOP by design really, you pull the drives, not the machines.)
At which point, according to his SOP where he says he'll look at logs and access, he will..

mindphlux posted:

If things look completely hosed, we come onsite, disconnect network to the machine, scan, assess, remediate - and packet log and check network traffic for anything really bizarre network-wide. and if it's actually hosed and we can't resolve in under an hour or so, we advise them we need to flatten and reformat and it will take X number more hours

So.
We're left with you being very angry about a posted SOP that will adequately deal with your worst-case boogey man malware.

Do you (for the 5th .. 6th?) time of asking, actually know of one that will defeat this, or are you just being yourself, which is to project flaws onto other people in order to get really angry at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I still don't get why we're nitpicking over whether a bunch of heuristic-based tools will happen to detect a rootkit when we can fix the problem by formatting and reloading from a recent backup. If this is any harder than running X, Y, Z, A, B, C, C# D, E, and F virus scanning tools that you use, maybe you should work on unfucking your / your client's awful IT structure instead of hoping that the 95% fix works 100 times in a row.

This is the correct response.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Khablam posted:

I read the white papers, and it's a fascinating (if dated) piece of malware. This doesn't change the fact that mindphlux's SOP as posted will detect the presence of the malware (especially if you add in my caveat of an offline scan, which is just SOP by design really, you pull the drives, not the machines.)
At which point, according to his SOP where he says he'll look at logs and access, he will..

None of what mindplux suggested in the following list would have addressed it:

mindphlux posted:

rkill
combofix
hijackthis
add / remove programs
check browser plugins, reset settings as needed
reboot
adwcleaner
malwarebytes
sfc /scannow
check all the logs

Don't see the 'fascinating', signature-based RogueKiller tool here either, nor a suggestion to restore the bootloader. Remind me again of what in this list would have fixed this? If mindphlux had accepted that his advice is garbage then made an effort to read into why I would say that then this argument with him would have been short. Of course, you and him share personality traits which when combined with incompetence, means neither of you can accept that you've made mistakes and as a result cannot learn. It's one thing to disagree with me, but it's another to continue to beat on this dead horse--you cannot win me over with your idiotic ideas.

And again, you're being obtuse: it's a matter of time for when we start to see poo poo like TDSS/TDL again, but of course you seemingly have backed down on how it works because you're no longer calling the technique "nationstate-level" fantasy even though earlier in this thread you ran across it and suggested the very fix that would have watered down its effectiveness.

quote:

We're left with you being very angry about a posted SOP that will adequately deal with your worst-case boogey man malware.

No. We're left with people listing poo poo like the above, thinking it is a magic bullet and leading other people in this thread to believe that they have a magical fix. At least you've finally understood that I am not telling people right off of the bat to format their machines but to consider the ramifications of what their machine has become--this after having simplified it for your Sesame Street-level brain.

quote:

Do you (for the 5th .. 6th?) time of asking, actually know of one that will defeat this, or are you just being yourself, which is to project flaws onto other people in order to get really angry at them?

Yes. Read my thread. You seem to believe that anti-virus and all these magical tools will fix anything and thus have demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of how they work. If you really, really think that tools will fix all malware, why not give me a technical explanation for why other than letting me answer your questions with "yes".

Here's your first test question: explain to me in detail how a malware signature works.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 28, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So do you have a set of techniques to share? If not, what the gently caress is the point of letting other people know they are doing it wrong.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

redeyes posted:

So do you have a set of techniques to share? If not, what the gently caress is the point of letting other people know they are doing it wrong.

Read this thread which hasn't been posted in this thread several times already.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Good lord, there has got to be somewhere else you guys can take this slapfight. This thread was actually interesting before the deluge of YouTube comments insulting one another's reading comprehension.

Like, hash this out on irc or something. You'd probably even find it more productive to talk TO one another rather than frantically wiggling your epeens all over the thread. Please.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

This thread really wasn't doing anything important beforehand.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Forever_Peace posted:

Good lord, there has got to be somewhere else you guys can take this slapfight. This thread was actually interesting before the deluge of YouTube comments insulting one another's reading comprehension.

Like, hash this out on irc or something. You'd probably even find it more productive to talk TO one another rather than frantically wiggling your epeens all over the thread. Please.

If people were not giving negligent advice such as what we have consistently seen by people I quote then this sort of arguing going on would cease. There are individuals who are quick to chime in on solutions akin to divining rods with no technical knowledge behind them to explain how they are effective.

If we want to go on about putting our dicks on the table, I have yet to do that and yet others who refute me have no problem.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 28, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

thread needs gased

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OSI bean dip posted:

If people were not giving negligent advice such as what we have consistently seen by people I quote then this sort of arguing going on would cease. There are individuals who are quick to chime in on solutions akin to divining rods with no technical knowledge behind them to explain how they are effective.

If we want to go on about putting our dicks on the table, I have yet to do that and yet others who refute me have no problem.

There is no negligent advice in this thread but you are still killing the thread dead.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Any lurkers who give a poo poo about security you're welcome to join us in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712267

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

yospos/whateverthefuckitisnow screams of serious posting about serious security seriousness

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

Do you (for the 5th .. 6th?) time of asking, actually know of one that will defeat this

I seriously don't understand why you keep asking this. No one can point to something that can defeat all automated malware detection methods because the minute something is discovered through other means the automated methods are updated with the necessary process for finding it. There have been plenty of examples of malware that has gone through this process, namely 99% of the discrete types that are currently detectable. Assuming this means "no currently undetectable malware exists" is just nonsensical though.

This fact is the entire problem with signature (or behavioral) anti-virus as a protection method. It is unable to adapt to a constantly changing attack surface without being continuously updated with new information.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

pr0zac posted:

I seriously don't understand why you keep asking this. No one can point to something that can defeat all automated malware detection methods because the minute something is discovered through other means the automated methods are updated with the necessary process for finding it. There have been plenty of examples of malware that has gone through this process, namely 99% of the discrete types that are currently detectable. Assuming this means "no currently undetectable malware exists" is just nonsensical though.

This fact is the entire problem with signature (or behavioral) anti-virus as a protection method. It is unable to adapt to a constantly changing attack surface without being continuously updated with new information.

The problem that Khablam has is that he has no basis of understanding of how signature-based anti-virus works and would rather just go and cite AV tests from third-parties or rely on his "experience". He cannot answer a question about malware from a technical viewpoint except reciting what is best from a tier-1 help desk perspective, which is generally not good advice.

Meanwhile those of us who have direct experience with this sort of thing consider him to be oblivious and think that he's arguing for the sake of a maligned ego.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 28, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

MF_James posted:

yospos/whateverthefuckitisnow screams of serious posting about serious security seriousness
It really does though, here's a breakdown of x86 security:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It really does though, here's a breakdown of x86 security:

That's not a fun paper to read.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Computers are pretty bad you guys.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

redeyes posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MF_James posted:

You'd fit right in, James

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I think he's been pretty clear about "salvage what you can that ain't backed up, then format the bastard from a clean system or boot disc, or image a backup image on if available"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Oh cool! She had stopped blogging for awhile, so I thought she had fallen off the face of the earth or angered Put in or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ynglaur posted:

Oh cool! She had stopped blogging for awhile, so I thought she had fallen off the face of the earth or angered Put in or something.

None of us want this thread, but you especially don't want this thread.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Sorry about your lack of reading comprehension.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sorry about your aspergers

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

mindphlux posted:

I guess we can come to a conclusion: you have a lack of reading comprehension skills and you'd rather continue to belittle me because you have nothing left to contribute and I know that you're a complete charlatan.

Alright.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

mindphlux posted:

Sick burn, dude!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:horse:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Mods, please put this thread out of its misery.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
so when are malware going to take advantage of high-frequency audio to jump from machine to machine without being detected?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I'm new to SHSC, is it normal in here to emptyquote and do single emote posts, as well as call people names?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

bobbilljim posted:

I'm new to SHSC, is it normal in here to emptyquote and do single emote posts, as well as call people names?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
HELPDESK HERO:
This is my tool suite. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My tool suite is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My tool suite, without me, is useless. Without my tool suite, I am useless. I must run my tool suite true. I must click and hope harder than my enemy who is trying to infect me. I must detect him before he displays an advert to me. I will...
My tool suite and I know that what counts in war is not the knowledge we have, the accuracy of our heuristics, nor the attack surface we have. We know that it is the probable hits that count. We will probably hit...
My tool suite is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will not learn its weaknesses, only its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sourceforce url and its portable installer. I will keep my tool suite updated and ready, even as I am a+ certified and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My tool suite and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is ours and there is no known malware, but peace!

SOMEBODY NOT LIVING IN THE 90s:
your techniques only catch known threats, it's quicker, easier and safer to purge everything and reload

HELPDESK HERO:
wow autistic much?!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This argument is still going :allears:

Tool suites can only do so much, and catch so many viruses, no matter how "good" they are. I learned that as a wet-behind-the-ears desktop technician. Formats became faster than most suite scans. Some of the posters in here sound like some guys in a LinkedIn group I'm in, beating off an A/V sponsor about how viruses would have NEVER made it on with this AV suite!

I'm not a security analyst and I can see that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

None of what mindplux suggested in the following list would have addressed it:
Where have I said it would? Can you quote me saying so?
You're arguing (once again) against a position that I have never made. You do this in literally every discussion and it's amazing to me how someone can warp reality in order to carry on some indignant rage. Why do you do this?

I said that a combination of the above tools and an offline scan would detect it's presence. Or, actually just using the computer with a vague knowledge of what it drops into a visible space will clue you in (i.e. fake AV, etc).
A "tier 1" helpdesk can likely also determine that there is a rootkit active on the machine.
From there I suggested flatten/install with a wiped MBR.
Now my assumption is that mindphlux, using his SOP which includes "reading all the logs" will also conclude the same and do the same. He verified this in a later post.

So why are you so angry? No one is recommending those tools as a come one come all fix to every problem, but as a toolkit on which to make common sense determinations.

quote:

Here's your first test question: explain to me in detail how a malware signature works
There's no need to know this to use any of these tools. You simply need an understanding that detection rates are not 100% and that any determination of "clean" or "infected" based on their output has a non-zero margin of error. If it's something like alureon, zero access, or any of the dynamic rootkit based threats that are being actively updated by a smart author, with new variants every other day, detection with or without heuristics will be lower.

None of that changes one's SOP though. For, if nothing you throw at the machine reveals a problem, how are you determining there is one? Why are you even looking for the problem to begin with?

These are the logical questions I posed several pages ago and you haven't come up with an answer. Like, just give me a scenario where you're using the posted SOP (lets say you're forced at gunpoint to get around your autism) in combination with an offline scan and concluding there is a problem that needs a format, which none of those tools are hinting at in any way. Why are you scanning the machine? Why are you ... doing anything?

I'm not even arguing against your POV and if you spent some time reading what I wrote instead of just looking at it and concluding I was stupid, you would see that.

Your ranting and cries of fraud and negligence over the posted SOP are an insane reaction but maybe I'm just expecting too much from a yospos poster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

Your ranting and cries of fraud and negligence over the posted SOP are an insane reaction but maybe I'm just expecting too much from a yospos poster.

Don't be racist.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Khablam posted:

I said that a combination of the above tools and an offline scan would detect it's presence. Or, actually just using the computer with a vague knowledge of what it drops into a visible space will clue you in (i.e. fake AV, etc).

100% will detect its presence? How did you come to this conclusion? It's very much news to me that there is a sure-fire way to detect the presence of malware and if this is the case I really, really would throw lots of money at such a claim if it could be backed up. Please elaborate on this because you're sitting on a goldmine here.

quote:

There's no need to know this to use any of these tools. You simply need an understanding that detection rates are not 100% and that any determination of "clean" or "infected" based on their output has a non-zero margin of error.

Didn't you just say "a combination of [tools] and [method] would detect its presence"?

quote:

I'm not even arguing against your POV and if you spent some time reading what I wrote instead of just looking at it and concluding I was stupid, you would see that.

You've opted to make a remark about me and yet you've failed to answer my question to describe how signatures work. You're comfortable to make assumptions about detecting malware then later contradicting yourself, but you cannot tell me how an AV's signature works?

Again, take this opportunity to wow me here:

OSI bean dip posted:

Here's your first test question: explain to me in detail how a malware signature works.

If you are willing to recommend AV engines, procedures, and then go on a tirade about me, I think you can take the time to answer this question.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I still don't get why we're nitpicking over whether a bunch of heuristic-based tools will happen to detect a rootkit when we can fix the problem by formatting and reloading from a recent backup. If this is any harder than running X, Y, Z, A, B, C, C# D, E, and F virus scanning tools that you use, maybe you should work on unfucking your / your client's awful IT structure instead of hoping that the 95% fix works 100 times in a row.

Yeah running 300+ cleaners sounds like a time sucking pain in the dick.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah running 300+ cleaners sounds like a time sucking pain in the dick.

You can if you write a script that queries all of your files' hashes against VirusTotal. It wont' clean it up but it's fun to get a result from dozens of different AV engines like Qihoo-360 and Jiangmin respond and then see how many of them give erroneous or conflicting answers.

Oh the joys of signatures. :allears:

[edit]

In fact, here's a script you can use:

Python code:
'''
Scans a directory for executables and fires off the MD5s to VirusTotal for review
'''

from sys import argv
from os import walk
from hashlib import md5
from time import sleep
from json import loads
import requests

directory = argv[1]
executables = [ 'exe', 'com', 'swf', 'jar', 'sys', 'dll' ]
api_key = ''
items = {}
wait = 60 / 4 # You are only permitted to send data 4 times per minute with a standard key.

'''Produces an MD5 of the file'''
def md5_check(filename):
    with open(filename, 'r') as f:
        m = md5()
        while True:
            data = f.read(2**20)
            if not data:
                break
            m.update(data)
        return m.hexdigest()

'''Sends the file to VirusTotal'''
def vt_check(md5):
    out = []
    url = 'https://www.virustotal.com/vtapi/v2/file/report'
    form = { 'apikey': api_key, 'resource': md5 }
    r = requests.post(url, data=form)
    try:
        inbound = loads(r.text)
    except:
        inbound = None
    if inbound is not None:
        if 'scans' in inbound.keys():
            for avengine in inbound['scans'].keys():
                if inbound['scans'][avengine]['detected']:
                    a = { 'avengine': avengine, 'details': inbound['scans'][avengine]['result'] }
                    out.append(a)
    return out

if __name__ == '__main__':
    for x in walk(directory):
        cur_dir = x[0]
        files = x[2]
        for f in files:
            if '.' in f:
                ext = f.split('.')[-1].lower()
                if ext in executables:
                    path = '%s/%s' % (cur_dir, f)
                    hashval = md5_check(filename=path)
                    if hashval not in items.keys():
                        items[hashval] = [ path ]
                    else:
                        items[hashval].append(path)

for x in items.keys():
        vt = vt_check(md5=x)
        if len(vt) is not 0:
            print 'MD5: %s' % x
            print 'Path(s):'
            for path in items[x]:
                print '\t%s' % path
            print 'Detection details:'
            for result in vt:
                print '\t%s - %s' % (result['avengine'], result['details'])
            print
        sleep(wait)
I wrote this script probably two years ago so it's missing some sane things like path joining and such--I write more code now than I did a few years ago. All it does is it skims through a directory that you specify (so 'python <script> <path>'), makes a list of MD5s from files with valid extensions, then checks them against VirusTotal. Because of rate limiting on their public API, you can only do a check every 15 seconds, but there are super-secret ways to get around that. :toot:

What's fun with this script is that you can run it against a directory of files and you stand a good chance of seeing false positives or conflicting answers.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 29, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

For those of us playing along at home - are you saying that the often-cited "signature" method of detecting viruses and malware is just an md5 hash of the files? That sounds distressingly inadequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

For those of us playing along at home - are you saying that the often-cited "signature" method of detecting viruses and malware is just an md5 hash of the files? That sounds distressingly inadequate.

Are you suggesting that I send the files straight to VirusTotal every time? Because I could do that and then wait six years for it to scan through 1 TB of files.

All this script does is sends off a hash to VirusTotal to check through its history. If you upload a file to them and it has previously been seen, it'll inform you that it has seen the file before using the very same method but will then rescan the file if you request. It doesn't really do anything beyond that other saying "yes" or "no" to whether or not it has been seen before. It's not a definitive answer because the signatures can apply to multiple different hash results.

Also sending files to VirusTotal is dumb in a lot of ways for a number of reasons, but mainly this: the files get sent to a number of organisations (including the well-respected Italian company, Hacking Team) in which they'll analyse it as they desire. If you're okay with sharing proprietary files from your organisation, then send them straight to VirusTotal. It can however lead to some hilarious results as some of us can attest.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread