Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
How likely am I to get screwed by using the Filehippo update checker if I just let it download whatever it needs to keep things up to date? Any chance that one of their files would be compromised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm building a new computer and was wondering what the SHSC recommended procedure is for a new install. The newer viruses are pretty terrifying, so I'd like to do my best not to contract one. It'll be on windows 7. My plan was, in order:

1) Create a system restore point.
2) Install Microsoft Security Essentials
3) Install Firefox with adblock and noscript, and opera
4) Install spybot, immunize, and create system snapshot
5) Intall spyware blaster
6) Set up folders to auto-backup onto an external drive

Should this cover it? Is both spybot and spyware blaster overkill? Do I need AV beyond MSE? Should the order be different? Do I need some files on a flash drive as well?

Thanks for the help, and sorry again if this isn't the right place (the stickied haus op is pretty old now).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Thanks for the advice. SandboxIE is brilliant - I had never even heard of it. I had planned to install ubuntu on a partition anyways, which would at least let me poke around for solutions if the new comp got something on the windows side.

Megiddo posted:

Install Secunia PSI and/or use Ninite to keep your plugins and other third-party software updated.

I've been using FileHippo Update Checker on my current xp machine, which checks all the programs here for updates. Is secunia better, or would either do?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Not really your guys' usual cup of tea, but third party shopping cart/ecommerce provider osCommerce has been exploited hugely:
http://blog.armorize.com/2011/07/willysycom-mass-injection-ongoing.html

That article estimates about 3.8 million pages have had an injection iframe inserted. Most of you guys seem to be desktop oriented but thought I'd drop that here in case anyone works with osCommerce.

Opera is giving me a malware warning for your link?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

Outside of what's on the OP, what's the recommendation for preventative measures for people who don't follow normal security practices? A few members of my family always end up with some malware each time I'm at their place, and I'm looking for best practices on how to lock down their Windows 7 boxes.

If changing their habits is truly hopeless, make them buy Sandboxie Pro and set all their browsers to auto run in sandboxes.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

some other site with the same password

You're gonna want Keepass or lastpass and use them for everything.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, this is probably my impetus for that.

Wasn't there one that is getting bought by a lovely company? Was that lastpass?

Looks like they were recently bought out, yeah.

I've been happy with keepass for years though. Just plunk the database into your dropbox (or better yet spideroak) and you can access it from all your devices - they have a free app for droid and I think apple now.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Well keepass is free to sync between devices while lastpass is not, which made up my mind right quick.

But lastpass is otherwise pretty cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Good lord, there has got to be somewhere else you guys can take this slapfight. This thread was actually interesting before the deluge of YouTube comments insulting one another's reading comprehension.

Like, hash this out on irc or something. You'd probably even find it more productive to talk TO one another rather than frantically wiggling your epeens all over the thread. Please.

• Locked thread