Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bob Morales posted:

Tom's did a test where they measured PC performance with various anti-virus and security packages installed, and also with a 'bare' system.

They should have also tested and older system (one you'd be asked by your grandma or co-worker to 'fix') and they also should have tested Microsoft Security Essentials.
Baseline for this should be a single core laptop with 1GB RAM running unpatched Vista on a 4200rpm HDD. The kind where clicking on the start menu takes about 15 seconds register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
My main beef with NoScript is that it's useless if one of the servers you've whitelisted is compromised.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

You guys weren't using that Java were you?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/27/disable_java_to_block_exploit/
"Users urged to disable Java as new exploit emerges"
Phew, that only affects Java 7 versions. Our current SOE JRE is Java 6u29! (And the standard flash version is something from the 10.2 line, about 25 versions out of date.)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Khablam posted:

Sadly my experience of MSE is that it is completely useless, and 3rd party evaluation doesn't score it much higher.* It does nothing to block/analyse network traffic and executions until it's already in the working memory, by that time it's usually too late. Decent commercial AVs (Trend Micro is a good example, as is BitDefender) and Avast! Free will scan incoming traffic for these infections and stop the transfer a long time before they're able to execute.
Microsoft aren't nostalgic enough for their massive legal battles enough with the EU & US governments enough to try and give away a complete AV/antimalware suite for free.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

#badbios was never proven to even exist.
ahh, but was it ever proven not to exist?
:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

I'm new to SHSC, is it normal in here to emptyquote and do single emote posts, as well as call people names?

• Locked thread