Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
At our shop the WinAntivirus2008 etc and it's variants are old hat by now, not even an issue. One that DID give us a heart attack the other day was this:
csrsc.exe
Registers itself as a service "WinSpoolerService" and lists it's publisher as Microsoft. We had to quickly kill the process, then delete the file on disk and a registry key, and if you weren't fast enough then it would run again and you couldn't delete the file. the scary part was when I took my flash drive with the tools out of that computer and plugged it into another computer, and all of a sudden that person's windows defender wanted to know if it was ok to attach csrsc.exe to like every drat startup process.
Apparently this virus actually a. copies itself to removable media b. creates an autorun that c. fucks your poo poo up in about 3 seconds when you connect it to your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Hillridge posted:

It's like people forget every bit of common sense when on the internet. If a guy came up to these people on the street (or rang their doorbell) and told them that their house had problems, and they needed his product to fix it, 99% of these people would tell him to gently caress off.

On the internet? *click*

But SIR! There are *17* spy cameras installed in your house! Including 3 in your bathroom! Also if you don't defragment your waterheater, it will EXPLODE. Pay ME eleventy dollars and I will fix ALL those problems and keep ANYTHING bad from happening again.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

tadashi posted:

Antivirus 2009 isn't that nasty of a virus, it's just that it's everywhere. I've had people at work call me because they visit what looks to be a reliable link off of different search engines and it turns out the page is infected with AV2009. It's not that hard to get rid of if you catch it in time and can remove the System32 files and the registry entries. You just have to catch it before it installs to much other junk.

Yeah, I all I've ever seen it do is demand money to register it. I don't think it actually mines data or makes spam or anything.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Toshi posted:

I'm having major trouble with Trojan.bho , I've run malwarebytes and superantispyware, vundofix, combofix and they all catch it and say it's been removed. After a restart and rescan it's back. Short of wiping this install anyone else have an idea? Seems to be coming from my registry.

I would post about it in the tech support forum.
You probably need to delete some DLL files or registry entries using recovery console or a live CD.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Hillridge posted:

Crap, still seeing goougly links in google.
I found some info on it, but nothing helpful.

I also turned off 3rd party cookies in Firefox.

I think I'm going to drop into safe mode and run:
spybot, superantispyware, ccleaner, malwarebytes, then combofix.

If that combo doesn't cure it, I don't know what will.

All you have to do is find what's starting up and running via hijackthis or the silent runners vbscript, then pull the power, boot the computer to the recovery console, and delete or replace the affected files. If you need to remove registry entries, use BartPE or similar, they have offline registry editors.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Hillridge posted:

I'd still like to find the guy who wrote this browser hijack and punch him in the sack though.

Wouldn't we all...

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Cojawfee posted:

Well, they will bitch at each other. It is best to have one antivirus, and a few antispywares.

Actually, it's best not to download stupid poo poo.
I could run NO antivirus software at all, because I don't download crap from limewarez or whatever.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I didn't say that I DON'T run antivirus software, or that you should recommend people to do so.
I'm just saying that with the help of common sense you can avoid most problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Cojawfee posted:

*Backpedal* *backpedal*

Fine. I'll uninstall AVG and run for 1 year without it or any other antivirus software.

• Locked thread