Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That makes a lot more sense then.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Use one of the cryptolocker/ransomeware recovery sites to see if they just so happen to be able to decrypt your stuff and then give up because you're not recovering any data otherwise.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mindphlux posted:

I'd agree that it doesn't sound like normal malware, but I've seen the problem popping up on multiple machines on this network - and only on this network. Never seen this anywhere else in the wild.

I haven't checked the md5s, but am going onsite to look at this machine this afternoon, maybe i'll give that a shot, if I can identify what DLL is causing the crash.

Edit : no hardware problems I can find, or corruption anywhere else in the OS.

Are the machines running a common software suite? Does one of those pieces of software install a (potentially hosed up) copy of .net?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone tried using this Tron script yet:
https://github.com/bmrf/tron/
Seems like it could be good for those start it and forget it situations where you can just let it run all day and check back on it later. Was curios to see if anyone has found it to be useful at all, or if it's basically a glorified batch script that just runs a bunch of AV scans in a row.

Speaking of what is the go to free AV to recommend to people these days? I have friends and relatives ask me all the time and I don't know what to tell them now except for watch what you click on and install ublock or something on your browser.

I've thrown it against 3 infected machines. One it fixed (this machine was just some adware and other garbage), second machine had some flavor of trojan and Tron would lock and then reboot the computer after running for ~3-4 hours repeatedly, third computer it ran and cleaned but the computer re-infected itself a few hours after it was reconnected to the internet.

IMO it's largely useless, the automation is nice but the time it takes to run (8+ hours typically) is insane when you could get similar results doing it manually over 90 minutes or so.

As for free AV go with MSE, it's as useless as everything else but it doesn't advertise to you. The free copy of Norton/Mcafee for Comcast/ATT customers also works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, she's on 8.1. She's on an OEM key, I don't have any reinstall media for 8.1.

You can boot to advanced boot options and reinstall from there, if its a dell then dell will mail you media for free or you could make your own using the dell tools. Barring that you can make media using Microsoft tools, but it wouldn't want to use an OEM key that's embedded in the machine.

• Locked thread