Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bitdefender free edition is being a piece of poo poo and logging me in for about 3 seconds before it logs me out again. Is there any way I can fix this, or should I just be looking for another antivirus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We bought a new laptop today (in best buy, because she won't buy anything online :suicide:) and the salesman was trying to sell us "internet security" software. What does that consist of? I've always just used Bitdefender/AVG/Kaspersky and whatever adblocking software was available at the time. What is internet security software, is it worth it, and are there any decent free versions? I've been liking Bitdefender free now that I'm on a PC that it works for (last PC it would just keep asking me to log in constantly, no matter how often I logged in).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. Yeah, I hadn't heard of anything like that before, and none of the companies I've worked for had anything like that on their systems (that I knew of), so I was skeptical. I also knew that thanks to linux nerds, there's free everything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the other hand, google chrome already has a "suspicious website" page with a hidden link to go to it anyway, which will confound 90% of users.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. This is probably outing me as an idiot, but I don't remember the last time I had a firewall other than the windows default. Is there a free one worth running?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm directly on the modem. A router is on the list of things to save for / buy if I see a decent one at the thrift store.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, turns out my Comcast-supplied modem had a firewall. I say had because the wifi poo poo the bed to the point that it was doing <1mb/s on a 50mb/s line, while connecting via ethernet gave 55. So it's a moot point, because I bought a new modem and a wifi router.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So, is that a good way to clean out any malware-riddled computer? My father wants me to clean up his old laptop for his ladyfriend because I'm "good with computers." I haven't ever really needed to clean a computer up like that because I'm careful, which prevents 90% of problems, and I keep an antivirus with an autoscan going.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I have a thumb drive with a (legal) copy of 7 professional here. That's what I did the only time I can remember I got a bad virus, don't go to new sites while deliriously ill. It worked out well because I had been wanting to upgrade from Vista anyway.

That would also solve the general clean out all of the bloat problem. Is defragging still a thing to do on platter drives, or do newer OSes do that for you?

I probably will just flatten it, re-install, and get Chrome, Bitdefender, and some other malware removal stuff on there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I thought I remembered something like that. I'm pretty sure my parents still manually defrag, but that's just one of those learned habit things. Like how some people still think having too much on your desktop will slow it down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got notified today that someone logged on to my Facebook from a different country, so I changed it to a different password. Now I'm scanning all 3 computers. Nothing came up so far. I'm not sure how to do something similar for an android phone. I'm also wondering if it was likely a keylogger, or some other site with the same password getting hacked and the hash reversed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I know, but I have never set up lastpass and there is no way I'm going to remember 30-40 passwords, anyone who says they do is a liar.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, this is probably my impetus for that.

Wasn't there one that is getting bought by a lovely company? Was that lastpass?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suspicious posted:

I had a system. I memorized a dozen strings of different lengths, never writing them down anywhere. I did write myself reminders though, like site XYZ = string 1 + 8 + 4. I kept those reminders on paper. Hundreds of possible combinations with just 12 things to actually memorize.

Install a password manager though.

That is a really smart way to do it. I'm going to just do the password manager.

I'll see what allows 2fa, but I really don't value anything but my Steam account, Google account, and bank accounts enough to do it. I have to use 2fa for logmein at work, which makes sense, but also sucks. Particularly because the only time I use Central over Rescue is to check if someone has a computer because we don't have an inventory like a normal company.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What makes mnemonics silly, rather than just obsolete in most applications now that password managers exist?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, not a fan of logmein from professional experience, so Keepass it is. Unless there is something big to recommend another.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Geemer posted:

How do you trust your computer not to be infected already?

This, but unironically. How do you know how long there was (example) a keylogger on your machine before something finally tipped you off? How do you know your backups haven't been infected as well?

I'm asking this mainly from a home perspective. So I don't have months of individually stored backups.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

go3 posted:

I'm in the MSP world and I'll just say that if you can't sell your clients on that then you're poo poo at your job

Do you not read the pissing me off thread? Every few pages there is someone talking about how their client refuses to get off of XP/2003, or buy any sort of backup system. Some companies just refuse to do what is needed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My wife is getting a captcha when she tries to use google saying that it has detected unusual traffic. The weird thing is, we're on the same connection, it should be masquerading our private IPs to a single public one, but I don't get that message when I try to search. Is it likely a virus? Does Google use MAC addresses instead of IPs? Wouldn't the source MAC change to the router's anyway?

I'm running malwarebytes and a bitdefender scan right now. To flatten and reinstall we would need to upgrade to 10, and I'm not sure I can sell her on that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes, I get it, I read it before, I know that anything I can do will be suboptimal. I can't do bitlocker because she's on Home Edition, although I should probably change DNS. I already addressed the flatten and reinstall option you always push.

Weird development, it's only when she's on her google account. She signs out, she can do it fine. So it's not her computer, it's her account. Which explains why I have no problem. So it's likely her account was compromised because I know she doesn't use different passwords on every site. I tried to set up Keepass for her, but she got frustrated when it took me too long to set up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If she was a client, I would fire her. I might just get on her computer after she goes to sleep and set it up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. I use Keepass on both computers and my phone using bittorrent sync to keep the database and key local, I think I downloaded a different version to her computer because set up was not the same at all.

It stopped doing the captcha thing, we quarantined one file on malwarebytes. If this comes up again I'm really going to push for her to back up her stuff on her external drive and either go to 10 or 7, which I have a key and .ISO for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry, she's on 8.1. She's on an OEM key, I don't have any reinstall media for 8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If she really wants to stick with 8, I'll use that if it comes up. I just hate how she'll ask me how to do something and I have no idea because I never used 8 and it's completely different from anything that came before or after.

E: Sorry, it was doing this: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en

I'm going to take a look at the file tonight to see if I can tell what got quarantined.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2016

• Locked thread