Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

Mandals posted:

I don't know if it qualifies as a virus but that XP Antivirus 2009 poo poo was hell for a few weeks. It was actually the first time in years that we had so many outbreaks.

Fun fact: Sophos couldn't detect it, and we had to use superantispyware to remove it.

Get a live CD. Makes the removal take seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are there any new viruses that can cause fake MCE BSODs in XP? My computer threw one earlier, but my system event log is clean and there's no memory file in my Windows folder. I have AVG scanning every morning, and it hasn't spotted anything outside of :tinfoil: about the evils of tracking cookies.

No, it's not Antivirus XP 2008.

Yes. The Blue screens are funny bescasue they will direct you to "maliciousurl.com" to fix the problem. Also your computer will fake restart in about 10 seconds.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

GREAT BOOK OF DICK posted:

I looked at it and it was unable to even obtain a DHCP address from the router. I ruled out the possibility of a bad cable or a bad onboard NIC so I could only presume some kind of infection had ruined the network connection. The worst part so far has been the fact that this PC only has XP SP1 installed. :ughh:

Didn't see any hidden TDSServ entries in the Device Manager. Would that be obvious if I showed hidden devices and searched through the list for "TDSServ"? I've never encountered a PC with that yet.

1. Ensure the DHCP client service is running.
2. Ensure the NIC is set for DHCP and not a Static IP.
3. If it still does not work download and run SYMNRT (Norton Removal Tool). If its an OEM machine traces of Norton Internet security can cause networking problems.
4. Download and run LSP Fix (AKA Winsock Fix).

I have yet to see a TDSS infection that blocks networking.

• Locked thread