Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nail
Jul 15, 2005

:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nail
Jul 15, 2005

Midelne posted:

And taskman.exe is an Internet virus! All those people telling you to run the "task manager" must be responsible for the infection!
Security Center's warning about virus protection is my favorite part

nail
Jul 15, 2005

Suspicious posted:

If NOD32 is dropping the ball, which is the SH/SC goto antivirus now?
avast!, Avira, Antivir, AVG (in order of my personal preference). Someone linked this site in another thread, it's great for making your own pick based on hard numbers from extensive testing.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

brc64 posted:

I've been liking VIPRE Enterprise in my tests, but the decision makers don't want to invest a new product (that's less expensive, easier to manage and would make us more money), so we're stuck with a product that's only compatible with Windows Server 2008 if you use the beta. Yay!
Oh yeah, I was only thinking of personal stuff. For enterprise, unfortunately I've only ever seen Norton or Trend. (Neither of those is worth a drat)

Also, VIPRE doesn't start with A, so it doesn't count :v:

nail
Jul 15, 2005

GREAT BOOK OF DICK posted:

Another recommendation for GMER, but it's a little more advanced. Solutions like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are fairly simplistic and almost anyone can operate them. GMER is good at showing you some really nasty poo poo (if it's there.)
How does GMER compare to Process Explorer? Looking at the screenshots it seems similar, although it's hard to tell because I can't read Polish or whatever that is.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

ShizCakes posted:

ProcEXP doesn't show hidden services or other things like that
If you mean things that hide in svchost or whatever, yes it does. Maybe not to the same extent? And they do have to be running, going by what BillWh0re says maybe they don't with GMER? Also Process Explorer can't highlight "bad guys", it doesn't differentiate at all. Next time I need something like this I'll give it a go (if I remember!), just want to know what to expect.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

second part to hell

edit here's a cool (albeit old) article with probably-related details

nail fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 30, 2008

nail
Jul 15, 2005

BigKOfJustice posted:

I never had a virus since 1991 on an Amiga.

Until last week when, out of the blue, via no prompt or action on my own, avast flips out with 2-3 error messsages, crashes, followed by the firewall crashing and IE launching and firing up all sorts of ads.
Well in that case you would have known there was a problem without antivirus software; and since your antivirus software crashed instead of fixing the problem, it's obviously pointless anyway.

No, I am not being serious.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

EnFuego468 posted:

The only thing we were able to do is backup and reimage all machines.
And wipe flash drives, I take it? Haha, how did people react to that one?
edit: Also, don't be surprised to see the issue persist as flash drives (I assume) continue to be used between home computers and the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nail
Jul 15, 2005

GREAT BOOK OF DICK posted:

I think this infection pissed my boss off so much, he called TrendMicro and cancelled our licensing. Looks like we're switching to Kaspersky!
I wish more bosses were like yours.

• Locked thread