Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Antivirus 2009 isn't that nasty of a virus, it's just that it's everywhere. I've had people at work call me because they visit what looks to be a reliable link off of different search engines and it turns out the page is infected with AV2009. It's not that hard to get rid of if you catch it in time and can remove the System32 files and the registry entries. You just have to catch it before it installs to much other junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's not a rootkit, but it's just as annoying... has anyone else noticed a huge increase lately in the amount of spyware coming from pages that people find from random Google searches? I cannot count the number of computers I have had to work with in the last 2 weeks that were compromised by some sort of "Security Tool" variation. These are always coming from web pages that have been hacked or otherwise infected and were found with seemingly innocuous web searches for vacations or wedding dresses or other everyday searches.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My company is finally moving away from Symantec Corporate 10.xx antivirus since it is no longer supported. Is there any business level antivirus out there anymore that does not require a yearly licensing fee? Only a small part of our company is centrally located and the rest are small offices with 2-5 PCs which operate in small work groups. We're trying to find a solution for the remote offices that would allow for local installs and minimize costs going forward. I guess we could just install some sort of free AV like Avast but we are also not trying to be thieves.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm trying to find a solid enterprise malware solution but it doesn't have to include anti-virus as we are still having success with Symatec corporate AV as far as finding viruses and notifying us when it does. Does anybody have any recommendations? It looks like Malwarebytes and Webroot enterprise are the two big names but I was curious if anybody is using something else?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

A vulnerability in SSL 3 was found last week and vendors are recommending you turn it off in any browser.

https://zmap.io/sslv3/browsers.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/10/ssl-broken-again-in-poodle-attack/

Basically, it sounds like SSL 3 is very much dead (even more so than it used to be) at this point.

• Locked thread