Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

dakana posted:

I can answer 2 of these:
AlienBees have a hole for an umbrella built into the strobe itself.
Also, one easy method for triggering them is their built-in photoslave. They'll fire when they detect another flash. This is nice if you already own a smaller flash and poverty wizards, as you can use the small flash for fill, rim light, or hair light and trigger the Bee with its flash. If you don't already have a small flash and/or poverty wizards, you've got a few wireless options. The aforementioned poverty wizards, or Cactus radio triggers are only $20 for a trigger and receiver set, but they have terrible build quality and are not 100% reliable -- you'll have misfires occasionally. From there, you can go for Skyports, CyberSyncs, or the industry standard Pocket Wizards.

That's what I figured. I'd probably go with the cybersync. It sounds like I should be good with a transmitter and one receiver.

ConfusedUS: I have a SB-600 currently that I could use for that sort of thing for now. If I needed another one in the future it's pretty cheap to pick up a Vivatar.

Thanks for your input guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

dakana posted:

For people looking into AlienBees, something to consider is that there is a 10% discount off of your entire order if you are a U.S. student. This applies to all students, not just photography/art majors.

Calumet gives a pretty steep discount on stands, bags, etc. if you are a student (I think you have to be studying photography).

Luk3 posted:

With that package, how do you attach the umbrellas to the lightstand / strobe? With hotshoe setups you have an umbrella swivel that you attach the umbrella to, what is the equivalent here?

It was mentioned that the accessories at alienbees aren't that great. Is it worth it to just buy the strobes on this site and get the umbrellas / stands / etc elsewhere?

What is the best method for triggering the strobes wirelessly?

As for remote power packs, is the vegabond the best solution? Is there something cheaper that isn't crap?

There is a place to attach the umbrella on the light itself. For accessories yes you should buy from somewhere else - I have a mix of Calumet and Avenger stands that I like a lot.

Triggering the best solution is Pocket Wizards but that is also the most expensive.

The Vagabond is just a battery and a special inverter in a convenient package. For what you get the price is really good, I looked into just buying the parts seperately and building one but it was going to end up costing the same. Not all inverters are pure sine wave (which is what works best with strobes) so that is basically what you are paying for.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've got one of those five-section Bogen lightstands Strobist is always going on about and I love it. The thing is tiny, weighs next to nothing, but the legs are sturdy and you can sandbag the gently caress out of it (or, as I usually do, have my assistant hold it).

I've seen these and I don't recommend them for monolights. They are fine for small flashes but monolights weigh a couple of pounds, especially once you add a modifier, and top heavy stands are bad news. You don't need solid metal ones but get a standard studio stand that's not going to blow over every time there's a breeze. It's a lot easier to carry around a bunch of stands that are moderately heavy than it is to carry light stands AND sandbags.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I had to carry bags quite a few years ago (photography internship in high school), and they're a bitch and a half. Tossing a hundred pounds of bagged stands on your back on the other hand is no problem if the bags are padded properly.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 15, 2008

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

I had to carry bags quite a few years ago (photography internship in high school), and they're a bitch and a half. Tossing a hundred pounds of bagged stands on your back on the other hand is no problem if the bags are padded properly.

Speaking of which, I just scored some shady Optex tripod bag for free, and it looks like my light stand and umbrella will fit in it, so score. Plus it appears my AB400 might fit in my EX180 bag, which would be even better. The thing is, I'm going to look like a retard with all this stuff in separate bags. What do you on-location-monolight pros do? Attach bags to other bags? Get an assistant to carry some?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The larger Pelican cases have big, sturdy handles that pull out so you can roll them. I just balance the other bags against that. I almost always have an assistant to help with that kind of stuff.

I would never put a bunch of poo poo on my back (or let an assistant do it), a lot of lighting stuff is heavy and that's a bad habit.. even a lot of the smaller Pelican cases have wheels so there's no reason to not just roll things when possible.

The Fomo
Jul 23, 2006

brad industry posted:

The larger Pelican cases have big, sturdy handles that pull out so you can roll them. I just balance the other bags against that. I almost always have an assistant to help with that kind of stuff.

I would never put a bunch of poo poo on my back (or let an assistant do it), a lot of lighting stuff is heavy and that's a bad habit.. even a lot of the smaller Pelican cases have wheels so there's no reason to not just roll things when possible.
Specifically, which Pelican models would you recommend for toting around some AlienBees and a Vagabond? I'm not planning on getting enough monolights to warrant the use of such a case for a while yet, but it'd be helpful for future reference.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The big Pelican case in that pic I posted on the last page is a 1650 which holds 3 WL heads, I think it's about ~$100. You could probably fit 3-4 AB heads in it or the Vagabond (which has a strap so it's fairly easy to carry).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

brad industry posted:

The big Pelican case in that pic I posted on the last page is a 1650 which holds 3 WL heads, I think it's about ~$100. You could probably fit 3-4 AB heads in it or the Vagabond (which has a strap so it's fairly easy to carry).

I clearly need to get a car. I should probably get some kind of medal for hauling my camera bag, light stand, and now AB400 on the bus. Luckily my next shoot is very close to home. Unluckily, it's in the hallway of a college, so I'll probably have all kinds of issues with light bouncing around like a motherfucker.

Is it worth buying some black fabric to try to fashion a ghetto flag to put behind me?

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound
How do people go about setting up/metering a shoot with 1 or more strobes? Do serious/professional flash photographers user TTL-networked flashes? Spot meters? Charts with distances and power settings? Eyeball, test-shot, and adjust?

I've read a decent chunk of the strobist articles, but as I understand it, his is a fairly atypical approach.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have a Sekonic L-558 meter, it has a PW built in - you set it to flash mode with the correct channel and then point the dome ball thingie at whatever light you want to meter and do an incident (light falling on the object) reading. The dome recesses into the meter so it's pretty easy to just get one light at a time even if all of them are going off. In the old days you would proof on Polaroids but now we have digital.

I don't even really know what "TTL" is, strobes just fire at whatever power you set them at and are can be triggered a lot of different ways - I use Pocket Wizards.

You can just look at the LCD/histogram but I like to meter it and know for sure so I can keep track of the ratios in my head while I get things adjusted.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

SoundMonkey posted:

I clearly need to get a car. I should probably get some kind of medal for hauling my camera bag, light stand, and now AB400 on the bus. Luckily my next shoot is very close to home. Unluckily, it's in the hallway of a college, so I'll probably have all kinds of issues with light bouncing around like a motherfucker.

One of these days I should tag along on one of your shoots.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

torgeaux posted:

The OP could mention more of the daylight balanced CFLs that are widely available/cheap. The advantage they have for constant light is much lower heat, and much better color temp.

Yeah, I had a question about this also. I have a 16" continuous "cool light" that was relatively cheap. It looks like this:

Click here for the full 1000x1000 image.

(It also comes with a diffuser that fits around it.)

...how do these compare to monolights or proper strobes? Are they basically super cheap and usually ignored or are they used often? I was wondering if I should get another one since it really was pretty drat cheap. Here is the exact one I own.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

baptism of fiber posted:

How do people go about setting up/metering a shoot with 1 or more strobes? Do serious/professional flash photographers user TTL-networked flashes? Spot meters? Charts with distances and power settings? Eyeball, test-shot, and adjust?

I've read a decent chunk of the strobist articles, but as I understand it, his is a fairly atypical approach.

Note that I am not a pro in the sense that I do not make my living off it, so if that's what you want, listen to Brad who does make his living from this.

The first shoot I did, I was all over the place. I had no idea what the gently caress. You learn as you go a bit. Now I could probably set up two lights and be within a stop of being correct, but what I typically do is just start with one and work up. I start with the main light, set it to something other than full (I do sound for a living - I like headroom), based on what aperture I'd like to shoot at. This typically takes 1 or 2 test shots to get right. Then I'd add any other lights I was planning to use, squeeze off a few more test shots, and I'm good to go.

I do not own a single TTL flash, nor do I plan to purchase one. In the time it would take me to make sure the flash could see the master firing, I could just set power manually and take some test shots.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
Ergh, AlienBees only ships to US/Canada, I suppose that is to be expected. Any helpful hints for the Australian? Like a good distributor in Australia for lighting (specifically AlienBees because they sound like what I am into).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I think it's time for an example!

In the OP, I mentioned bouncing your flash off the ceiling/whatever. It sounds like a pain in the rear end, but really, the results speak for themselves. Both of these shots were with my D200, using a Sunpak 433D (battery-powered hotshoe flash) in thyristor auto mode. I paid $15 for that flash, by the way. My model is asleep, so you get one of her dumb little figurines.

First shot: Flash is hitting the subject head-on. Note the ugly shadows and lack of depth in the face.

Second shot: Flash is shooting about 70 degrees, pointing behind and to the right of me, using the ceiling and opposite wall for bounce. Note that you can actually see depth on the face, and it just looks nicer.

So, yeah. Just bounce your flash off something and watch it look less terrible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

The thing is, I'm going to look like a retard with all this stuff in separate bags. What do you on-location-monolight pros do? Attach bags to other bags? Get an assistant to carry some?
Small stuff goes into foldable stackable cases, fragile stuff into pelican-like tankshell-proof platic cases. Cases go onto foldable wheeled frame.
Big stuff got stacked on the same kind of foldable wheeled frame and tied down with elastic rope with hooks (gently caress me if I know what it's called in English).

That was quite a few years ago, but I doubt that kind of poo poo evolves much.

We had to take all that poo poo on our backs when doing shoots in the woods for stuff like climbing equipment etc.

SoundMonkey posted:

This is the reason I want something to bounce my compact's flash. Anything you hit only head on automatically looks terrible.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 16, 2008

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Arinel posted:

Ergh, AlienBees only ships to US/Canada, I suppose that is to be expected. Any helpful hints for the Australian? Like a good distributor in Australia for lighting (specifically AlienBees because they sound like what I am into).

Have you tried dropping a note to Dan Rutter at Dan's Data? He does tech review stuff (based in Australia) and he's a photography guy who writes pieces on his equipment/technique sometimes. https://www.dansdata.com

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

I think it's time for an example!

In the OP, I mentioned bouncing your flash off the ceiling/whatever. It sounds like a pain in the rear end, but really, the results speak for themselves. Both of these shots were with my D200, using a Sunpak 433D (battery-powered hotshoe flash) in thyristor auto mode. I paid $15 for that flash, by the way. My model is asleep, so you get one of her dumb little figurines.

First shot: Flash is hitting the subject head-on. Note the ugly shadows and lack of depth in the face.

Second shot: Flash is shooting about 70 degrees, pointing behind and to the right of me, using the ceiling and opposite wall for bounce. Note that you can actually see depth on the face, and it just looks nicer.

Here is a real life example of on camera bounced flash

The only problem is that you let the environment control you, and your photographs

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mannequin posted:

[CFL arrays] ...how do these compare to monolights or proper strobes? Are they basically super cheap and usually ignored or are they used often? I was wondering if I should get another one since it really was pretty drat cheap.

If the results meet your needs, rock on. If they don't, it's pretty much strobes (mono/pack/shoe) or bust.

The problem with CFLs is that they're fluoros. As pleasant as a "daylight" or "full spectrum" fluoro looks in your living room, it's still got spikes and dips, and has a range of colors it reproduces poorly. Depending on the particular bulbs and what you're shooting, it may or may not show up in your photos.

You also have more flexibility in quality of light from strobes; household bulbs are meant to be diffuse, so your options range basically from "diffused" to "really diffused" with CFLs. Again, if you're not missing the option of really hard light, not a big deal.

Arinel posted:

Ergh, AlienBees only ships to US/Canada, I suppose that is to be expected.

They ship internationally. I'm guessing you jumped almost straight to the cart, since that's hosted off-site and doesn't mention their international sales policy like the main site does all over the place.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

notlodar posted:

You didn't have a single picture with no crazies? 8D

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

You didn't have a single picture with no crazies? 8D
honestly, no... my friends are crazy, it was an AWESOME wedding.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Brad, you've mentioned model lights quite a bit. I can't say I know what the eff that is. Could you help me out with that?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cannister posted:

Brad, you've mentioned model lights quite a bit. I can't say I know what the eff that is. Could you help me out with that?

If you meant modelling lights, they're incandescent lights that sit right in the middle of the flashtube on strobes, so you can see where the light will fall on your subject and be pretty confident that the flash will look similar. Some hotshoe flashes fake this by strobing the flash for a second.

If you meant monolights, they're strobes that plug directly into the wall, as opposed to a pack/head system.

EDIT: Yes my name is brad now :colbert:

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

Cannister posted:

The modeling light is a constant light that is output by the strobe. It is much weaker than the actual flash light, though.

^^^^^ Oh hey me too.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Strobe flash bulbs are circular, usually they stick a normal hot light bulb in the middle of it so you can approximate what the flash is going to look like without having to fire it. Decent strobes will have the modeling light on a dimmer so it tracks the output of the flash. Really they are only useful in a dark studio - I mostly use mine as indicators for when the heads have recycled (the modeling lights turn off until they ready to fire again).

If you do a lot of tabletop stuff they make life a LOT easier, I don't really use them all that much for the work I do. I like mixing light sources so occassionally I will use a head with just a modeling light (and tape over the optical slave so the flash doesn't fire) if I want to warm something up or whatever.

edit: aw gently caress you guys, beaten twice

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

brad industry posted:

Really they are only useful in a dark studio - I mostly use mine as indicators for when the heads have recycled (the modeling lights turn off until they ready to fire again).

Do you find that the ambient just overwhelms them in most situations?

Also, updated to OP for "don't buy an SB-400".

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Oh Oh Oh I remember what my other question was:

I just poked around the Alien Bees website for a bit (thanks a lot assholes) and noticed that strobes (AB-400 & AB-800) have a range from 1/1 to 1/32 power. Have any of the owners/users of these or other studio lights ever run into the situation where you are unable to, say, achieve a shallow enough DOF as a result of having to close up the aperture too much? Are they ever simply too powerful and you've had to swap down to a hotshoe?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cannister posted:

Have any of the owners/users of these or other studio lights ever run into the situation where you are unable to, say, achieve a shallow enough DOF as a result of having to close up the aperture too much? Are they ever simply too powerful and you've had to swap down to a hotshoe?

If you're running with that wide an aperture, you'd probably be fine with regular flashes. I find that even with a small flash like the 285HV, if I have it set at 1/16 power and I use an aperture like f/1.4 or something and aim the flash directly at a subject, all I get is a completely white picture because the lens is so sensitive that the picture gets gets blown out.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yes the modeling lights are usually overwhelmed by ambient light. I mostly just turn them off on location because it's a drain on the battery. They are useful for studio work though or when you are learning and moving lights around.

Cannister, my WL's go down to 1/128 and I don't think I've ever turned them down that low. You can always throw some ND filters on them to decrease the power if you want to do a shallow DOF.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

brad industry posted:

Cannister, my WL's go down to 1/128 and I don't think I've ever turned them down that low. You can always throw some ND filters on them to decrease the power if you want to do a shallow DOF.

Yeah, unlike HPL, I usually hover around 1/4 on my 285HV, and that's typically shooting f/2.8-f/4. I don't see 1/32 on an AB400 being too much power, and that's not even counting the stop or two I'll lose to the umbrella.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

WLs have to be a few feet away from the subject at ISO100, F1.4, 1/128 power, with the default reflector without ND filters. You can get closer with other modifiers...

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

notlodar posted:

WLs have to be a few feet away from the subject at ISO100, F1.4, 1/128 power, with the default reflector without ND filters. You can get closer with other modifiers...

Aha. For some reason I had this concept that monolights (these are monolights, right?) were these super powerful things so 1/32 would be like the equivalent of 1/2 power on a hotshoe (all I know).

Thanks for all the responses. Son of a BITCH now I want Alien Bees (or White Lightnings even) real bad. Real bad.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cannister posted:

Aha. For some reason I had this concept that monolights (these are monolights, right?) were these super powerful things so 1/32 would be like the equivalent of 1/2 power on a hotshoe (all I know).

Thanks for all the responses. Son of a BITCH now I want Alien Bees (or White Lightnings even) real bad. Real bad.

Yeah, those are monolights, due to not having an external power pack.

The power ratings on them can be a bit misleading - of course, they have significantly more power than a hotshoe flash, and can output a bunch more light, but they also have a much larger flash tube to fire. This is also why watt-seconds are actually a terrible way of measuring flash power, since it's not a measure of light output.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Cannister posted:

I think hotshoe flashes are around 60ws at full power? In the 1/4 power mode WL1600s are 165ws at full power (About the same as the AB400), so they do have common ground.

Mixing/matching is possible, but the quality of light will be different.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
w/s are totally meaningless. It's like measuring how fast a car is by how much gas it burns.

The AB and WL lines have the same inner circuitry poo poo so they are comparable but between brands it's a guess at best.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

w/s are totally meaningless. It's like measuring how fast a car is by how much gas it burns.

The AB and WL lines have the same inner circuitry poo poo so they are comparable but between brands it's a guess at best.
I have noticed that w/s are a good indicator when it comes to background lighting, very dependent on what you are trying to do.

Every light is different. The 60ish w/s of my speetlites is my guess against how it fares against WLs. I don't know of a more scientific way of looking at it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

notlodar posted:

I have noticed that w/s are a good indicator when it comes to background lighting, very dependent on what you are trying to do.

Every light is different. The 60ish w/s of my speetlites is my guess against how it fares against WLs. I don't know of a more scientific way of looking at it.

If you want, when my AB400 gets here (in a couple hours - drat you UPS), I can get semi-scientific with it and see how many stops brighter it is than my 285HV, both at say 1/4 power and full power.

EDIT: This was more of a reply to Cannister, actually.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
I like the modeling lights 'cause that way I can make sure the strobes are turned on... because I'm dumb.

I'm hoping that I can use the modeling lights as hotlights for shooting video in the future.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
Here's a post I have saved from another forum explaining the differences between Alien Bees and White Lightning. For those of you that don't know, both lights are made by Paul C Buff.

quote:

From what the people at Paul C Buff, Inc told me, the basic circuitry of the current WL and the AB is the same, the differences being primarily in physical and thermal robustness.

The AB circuitry is on two boards relatively close together in the shell; the WL circuitry (same basic design) is spread across four boards in a larger shell. I speculate that makes it easier to cool.

The WL 1600 and 3200 units have a 1/4 power step down control. This enables them to be more consistent at very low power than the single-stage adjustment of the AB, according to my tests. However, both of them are well equal to the consistency you'll find in any other flash unit anywhere close to their price ranges. You have to double the price to get any better consistency...and you have to check the specs carefully even then--don't expect more money to automatically buy better consistency. The WL 1600 and 3200 lights also go to a much lower power than the AB lights because of the 1/4 power button.

The AB has a 1/8-inch mono sync jack; the WL has a 1/4-inch stereo sync jack (it's really only two poles, but you need a stereo plug with both the barrel and the ring grounded to make the connection correctly). The WL shell is solid aluminum while the AB shell is Lexan. That makes the WL physically tougher, but in practice, it actually takes quite a serious whack to break the Lexan--and I doubt the circuits of either can stand that many gees. It would probably make a difference under a PRESSURE situation, like boxes (or luggage) stacked on the lights. I'd expect the Lexan would eventually deflect enough to bend something inside, where the WL would resist the pressure.

The stand mount of the WL is cast and machined aluminum; the mount of the AB is polycarbonate. I note that Paul Buff sells replacement mounts for the AB, which suggests they can be broken--although I've never broken one.

The WL has a 250 watt modeling light; the AB comes with a 100 watt lamp that most people immediately replace with 150 watt Phillips Halogenas from Lowes or Home Depot (perfectly safe, according to AlienBees). The company also states that a 250 volt bulb can be used on AlienBees IF it's used in an open-air situation, like an umbrella or very large softbox...but I'd be very wary of a small softbox. Paul Buff says that the eventual damage of using a 250 watt bulb is to the bulb socket itself.

Obviously, the fact that the WL has a better thermally protective design is the difference there. In practice, 150-watts is more than adequate for the kind of living room portraits the ABs are best suited for. If you're doing commercial work and lighting larger sets, you want the WL modeling light power.

The WL has separate manual controls for the flash and modeling power while the AB has a single control for them both. That's pretty much a matter of individual taste, but the WL levers are directly parallel to each other, so it's just as easy to flick them both simultaneously with the same finger as it is to manipulate the single AB lever.

The "modern" style of low-to-mid-priced studio flash units is flat membrane buttons and LED power level displays, but I find these levers to have much better useability in the real world. Membrane buttons and LED displays require the user to have a direct view of the rear panel. In practice, the rear panel is often above eye level and pointing upwards, which would make it difficult to operate membrane buttons or see an LED display. The AB and WL controls are operable by feel even when 'way over your head.

The WL has a thermal-controlled fan--it comes on when necessary (which always tends to be "eventually" on a long job); the AB has a constant-on fan. The AB fan is a bit quieter and lower in pitch than the WL fan, but neither is objectionable--I have a laptop that has a louder fan.

The fingers of the WL reflector mount are cast and machined; the AB fingers are slightly less substantial stamped metal. The method of actuating the fingers is also mechanically more efficient on the WL than the AB (that is, has a greater mechanical advantage to stay clamped). Also, the WL reflector mount is screwed into the aluminum housing; the AB reflector mount is screwed into the Lexan. Those two differences mean the WL can theoretically hold a far heavier light modifier than the AB. However, the AB mount is no wimp, and, again, it can hold just about anything you'd use for the living-room portraiture it's designed for.

The WL lights are heavier and longer than the AB lights--substantially so in the higher wattages.

Finally, the AB's Lexan shell and polycarbonate stand mount means it can't drain off static electricity as readily as the WL's aluminum shell and aluminum mount. Some people have reported that under very dry and stacticky conditions, they've gotten spurious flashes when they touched an AB after walking across a carpeted floor; this should not be a problem for the WL--the aluminum shell is directly grounded through the power cable.

All in all, I'd categorize the differences as being compact/lightweight versus tough/high endurance. If you work constantly on location (as I did for a good while), the compactness and light weight of the AB units is very important. If you carry, say, four or five lights on location, it's as little as half the weight with AB units. The low cost helps, too, because while ABs take a licking and still keep ticking, I would shed fewer tears if a truck backed over my ABs than my WLs.

In small-set situations like most portraits, the AB modeling lights are adequate. But if you're doing larger-set commercial work, if you need lights that can flash all day long, day in and day out week after week, and weight isn't such a factor for you, then the White Lightning has advantages.

Either unit becomes positively glorious when combined with the Radio Remote 1 for digital, wireless control of the modeling lights and flash power. I can't trumpet loudly enough about the utility of the RR-1--you can't get remote control this effective at ANY price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
That is a pretty good summary of the differences. I kind of disagree about the weight being an issue for location work, once you are carrying multiple cases and lots of stands/modifiers out to a location the difference between your case with the heads being 50lb v. 60lb is kind of moot. Not that the AB's are flimsy, but if a stand is going to get blown over I would much rather it be a WL head - whatever they are made out of is indestructible.

If you are going to be in a studio all day I would think you would want a pack and head anyways, pulling lights down to do adjustments would get old quick. Anyone here used PCB's Zeus line? I have not heard a single thing about them since they came out with those.

notlodar posted:

I don't know of a more scientific way of looking at it.

I've seen this done before: you set up a bunch of heads on the same stand at the same distance in the same room with a basic, bare reflector and then just meter it. If strobe companies were really interested in giving useful information they would do something like that and tell you what f/stop they got at 10 feet or whatever.

TsarAleksi posted:

I like the modeling lights 'cause that way I can make sure the strobes are turned on... because I'm dumb.

I'm hoping that I can use the modeling lights as hotlights for shooting video in the future.

I saw that 5D2 Laforet video was lit with the modeling lights on some Profoto packs (I'm not sure which or what wattage those bulbs are). When I upgrade I was planning on fooling around with it, the 250w bulbs on the WL are pretty drat bright even with a big softbox on.

• Locked thread