Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myshra
Aug 8, 2006

your eyes full of ketchup, its nice that you're trying...
I love you all for starting/posting this thread.

I'm finishing up my first of 2 lighting classes in my 2 yr AA program. The light bug has bit hard and it has really started to make me think about an equipment investment.

At school we used a Speedotron system that could kill a person if it fell on them. There was a smaller pack with 2 heads that got loaned out from time to time, but even that was super heavy and more dangerous than a shot put. The Broncolor self contained units they had were the way to go for taking stuff home, but there was a big lack of available accessories for them.

If I were to price out a decent starter kit/setup that doesn't break the bank for some self-contained units, with decent accessory support and that won't die in a year, what manufacturers should I look into? I saw Alien Bees mentioned and will look into them, but are there other reliable companies if I was looking to put a comprehensive list together?

I also live within driving distance to B&H, am I going to get a better deal with Calumet as a student even with the shipping cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myshra
Aug 8, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, derailing a bit, look into the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro.

There's a rebate on this lens until the end of the year. This lens is simply awesome. Totally worth it, probably the sharpest lens Tamron has in its line up.

If you're one of those backwards shooters who still uses silver, (wee school) they are going through an architechure change and going all motorized with this lens. (at least in the Nikon version) There might be some non G type lenses around if you look hard enough.

Totally sorry for the derail.

Back on topic:

I agree with the ringlight comments, beef up your inventory first, and make sure you're good with that before going for the fancy niche lights. There's so much you can do with just two lights and a couple minor accessories. You'll just drive yourself batty with a ringlight trying to achieve looks that are really doable without a clunky piece of equipment.

Myshra
Aug 8, 2006

The Fomo posted:

I know this is somewhat nit-picking, but every watch ad you will ever see, the watch is set for 10:10.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details, that's the one thing my studio professor at school hounded us about.

Myshra
Aug 8, 2006

Diffusion can be used as a shaping tool, even in directional light. (like a stage light)

(someone please correct me if I'm completely off.)

Light coming out of say... a parabolic reflector is columnated. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Meaning, it's all leaving the reflector going roughly the same direction. When you diffuse a light source, the light will travel in every direction out from that source. Doing this, will change the dynamic of your shadows, reduce your power (if only by a stop or so), and 'soften' areas that might suffer from harsh glare or hot spots. The larger the diffuser, the larger the light source becomes.

If you use this sort of thing on the end of a stage light (or a flash), it will still be directional in the sense that you can point it, like a softbox.

• Locked thread