Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ConfusedUs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Alien Bees vagabond II power pack?

I'm highly interested in a set of portable studio strobes, and I've heard good things.

I'm not up on model names, but we have a couple of AlienBees at the office studio. I haven't used them much, but my boss thinks they're the proverbial bee's knees. They're at least as good as the Calumet monolights, and a lot cheaper, and they don't have the risk of burning holes in the floor like the Novatrons we also use.

Protip: Don't plug/unplug heads while the pack is plugged in. It WILL melt the connectors into a puddle, set the floor on fire, and probably kill you. There are scorch marks all over the wood floors of the school photo studio from people slagging the big packs (edit: Speedotrons, they were).

In the field, we roll with Nikon SB-800s on camera, pointed straight up with a white card rubber-banded to the back. If you must use on-camera flash, get one with a tilt head and do that -- it's the poor man's softbox. We could take the monolights out on location, but :effort:.

My favorite lighting is flashbulbs. Awfully hard to find a camera with M-sync these days, though.

Two stops brighter than the sun, in a package the size/weight of an appliance bulb. Single-use, but when you need to literally turn night into day (or get that weird underexposed-bright-sunlit background effect), it's worth it. And the sound of a magnesium flashbulb burning is awesome.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread