Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My 2007 BMW 320d automatic, bought in 2013 and still daily driven with 150,000+ miles on it. Lots of sport equipment, but not a single M badge anywhere. A little worse for wear since the photo was taken in its glory days, and I've had to replace two turbos and an ECU, but it's just such a versatile daily that I can't find a reason to get rid of it.

Bought just yesterday, a 1999 Honda Accord Type R. I've wanted one since they came out, and since it was a neighbor selling this I just had to jump on the opportunity. Don't know much about it since it was impossibe to get a straight answer about anything from the guy selling it, but I got it at a price where I can live with that. I got to drive it for all of one hour before the check engine light came on, but a good old ELM327 adapter let me know it was just an O2 sensor. It also has the most ridiculous exhaust with tons of noise in the midrange where absolutely nothing happens, and then silence when it enters VTEC! Oh, and the OEM wheels have studded winter tires on them, which are getting replaced with Michelin PilotSports this week! It's gonna be a fun moneysink this summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

willroc7 posted:

Tried out a new ceramic spray as a drying aid. How biased am I in thinking the styling has held up pretty well?

Looks good, and IMO one of the best sport sedans ever! I might be biased though, I used to have a 2004 2,0t with Vector and Pilot packages. I miss everything about it dearly.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

willroc7 posted:

Vector and Pliot packages? Tell me more...

The 9-3 and 9-5 of that era came in three different trims, Arc, Linear and Vector (and Aero, which is like an M or AMG model). Mine was the top trim with electrically adjustable half leather sport seats, painted bumpers and sills, cruise control, park distance control and so on. The pilot package was a bunch of driver ("pilot") convenience and comfort items.

Pics from the good old days:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I feel like more people need to see my car

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
OK OK, one more!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I took a ride too

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
My old lovely BMW station wagon was getting too old, worn and unreliable, so I bought a slightly less old BMW station wagon, a 2015 320d XDrive.

Tons and tons of equipment on it. My must haves were adaptive cruise control and power rear hatch, but it also has 360 degree cameras, panorama glass roof, Harman/Kardon surround sound, heads up display and all kinds of BMW M Sport equipment.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Making me wish I got an F31 instead of an E91 :v:
What wagon did you have before hand?

It just happened to be an E91!

A 2007 320D, also with lots of equipment, bought it in 2013. It feels really sad letting it go, but we needed something more modern, reliable and comfy. We didn't want to finance and didn't want pure electric, so I spent three weeks going manually through 400 listings to find the exact specs I wanted. It came down to the F31 and an F11 530XD, and the 530 had defective comfort access and no DAB radio, so this one won.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've only done the 8hr transport stint when picking it up and a quick 15 mile drive today, but I'll try to sum up.

The seats are an upgrade. Not by much, but I did not have lumbar support in the E91, that was a game changer in the new car!

The steering is completely different, it feels very over-assisted, light and disconnected from the road and wheels in the new car, and it's hard to find the correct amount of force to put into turning the steering wheel.

The newer M-sport suspension is infinitely better and more useful over speed bumps and bigger road undulations, but it does pick up smaller details and bumps in the road that the old car didn't, that frankly are completely unneccessary to the driving experience.

The dashboard and door card materials in the newer car feel and look cheaper, probably for environment and recycling reasons. When I adjust the steering column all the way up, it covers the mileage counter at the bottom of the dials, which is just poor design.

The adaptive cruise is amazing, I will never live without again. I could just sit in the car all day yesterday and listen to the radio and podcasts, and the car itself kept a good distance to the car in front.

The engine in the E91 still feels like a four cylinder turbodiesel engine that does revs, and you can tell it has an automatic transmission. The driveline in the F31 feels a lot more "alien" and disconnected from a classic driving experience.

All in all it's objectively tons better, it still has BMW 3 series DNA, but you lose a lot of the old identity and driving experience that made people love BMW back in the days.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

man, that sounds like a downgrade in pretty much every way. isnt the e9x the pinnacle of modern bmw?

the only one ive experienced was a 330d, and it seemed like a pretty good time for a modern car. surprised me that a diesel actually had some care put into making it halfway fun. are the more recent ones really an upgrade from that?

I'll call the F31 a big upgrade in everything that is "modern car" values compared to the E91, and a slight downgrade in everything that is the good old grumpy originalpolizei big straight-six manual transmission BMW values, with the electric steering being the biggest difference. I've also owned an E34 530i V8 manual touring and a manual E36 323i, so I've had my fill of old-school raw BMW experience and I'll be happy with the F31 😁

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Modern BMW summed up well. Should be a very good general purpose car and especially good for trips. It's hard to beat a big diesel estate over there.

Did a bit of jumping back and forth between the F31 and E91 today as I was preparing it for sale, and the E91 feels like a small toy car compared to the F31, but it's a dense compact toy car made of cast iron and hardwood! The F31 is just a big fluffy cloud in comparison.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Am I wrong for liking it better in its original state?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

New and old together. The E91 was picked up today by its new owner who is using it as a winter beater since he doesn't want to drive his Volvo 740 Turbo in the salt.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

BalloonFish posted:

It has a scraper edge and is also formed so it acts as a magnifying glass, for reasons I can't fathom.

"Look, we got the umbrella in the door, what's the logical next step?"

Superbs are so nice, if I ever were to buy a VAG product a Superb would be my first choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Put on the summer 18s and ran through a car wash. Coming from driving on studded Hakka 9s mostly on wet asphalt since we bought it last October, it was like getting a completely different car!