Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
1997 Ford F-150 4x4 w/5.4 V8. Generic, yes.
But in 11 years it's been paid off for 3/4 of that which means, gently caress gas prices who cares when you don't have a monthly payment!
Also it has NEVER needed to go into a shop for repairs other than scheduled maintenance and that's with just over 150k miles.
This is from a couple years ago but basically looks the same with some small changes here or there.

2008 Suzuki DL650 vstrom.
Got it new begining of summer to replace my BMW f650 with zero miles and has almost 7k on it already. It's got a few more pieces waiting in the garage to finish it up.

Trying to decide on something fun to pick up this winter to club race etc with.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

ursa_minor posted:

Well, it's about as close as you can get to owning a Japanese Citroen - but I absolutely love it, even though it's a godawful daily driver, is constantly falling apart, and gets abysmal gas mileage around town. It has a certain quality about it that I have never experienced with any of my other cars, and it's definitely my favorite. The slushbox is being replaced in September with a 6MT, which is what this car has been begging for since it was manufactured. The EG33 is an absolutely amazing sounding engine when breathing correctly.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.

[timg]

A guy I worked with for a few years loved the SVX's. When I knew him he was on his second and about a year later I heard he got another one. He was driving them all over the US because he hated to fly. The first one he put almost 200k on, the second one had about 170k by the time he left. He was constantly searching for ones in good condition so that he could replace it if needed. He had 3 others that were parts cars for him so he didn't have to worry about finding most general parts if something broke/wore out. He always got the manual tranny also, said the auto sucked the life out of the car.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Sockington posted:

Only came in automatic unless you swapped it DIY style.

Didn't know that they only came in auto so he must have swapped something into it. Not DIY, dude was made of money, not mechanically inclined and would have paid a shop to make all the changes.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Imperador do Brasil posted:

As promised, pictures of the Bronco:

I picked it up today. It's a 96 with 162k miles, a 5.0, 4WD, etc. Picked it up for about a grand under Blue Book, and all it needs is the rear window sorted out. I had to put a new battery in it, but the PO put a new starter solenoid, a new trailing arm bushing, got it inspected, and threw in a new set of brake shoes for the rear just because. A/C blows ice cold, and both high range and low range on the 4WD work. Practically no rust on it, and the interior is as immaculate as you can expect from a 14 year old truck.

Very nice. I had a 1994 Eddie Bauer edition with the 5.7 for a few years. Engine and body were fantastic but I got a poo poo E4OD tranny that was rebuilt and then replaced. The replaced one was fine. I don't think it helped that I had a super charger on it. :black101: Oh and watch out for the solenoid/motor on the transfer case that changes the gears, it's a known weak part of that series of transfercases.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Hello Spaceman posted:

You choose: I whip out my artsy lenses and take a photo or I just get one of the press photos on my hard drive and post that instead.

Well if you get a stock photo then you fall into the "I suck AI, hurrr I'd drive the poo poo outa that" crew.

OR

You get them artsy lenses and be awesome and take a photo for the poor guy of your car, this time show the green light thing you mentioned.

I like the Twingo but with those basic shapes they (or any manufacturer really) just can't do much with the rear end of them.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Hello Spaceman posted:

Okay, okay. I'll get the camera out tomorrow and take proper photos.
In the mean time, you can enjoy this short film I shot, produced and directed, to see that green light in action. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okt_4HMwcjs

Ahh that's awesome. Also 80mph in 3rd is pretty dang good for a small car/engine plus the sound is niiice.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
New truck time. 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew FX4. The twin turbo v6 is a loving beast. Had to order it and just picked it up yesterday. Already have almost 200 miles on it.

She is going to get used a lot. Replaceing my last truck that I had for 14 yrs (1997 F150 w/5.4L engine). I've got 2 trailers and I tow my friend's hot air balloon trailer.

It's already half paid off and will be paid off completely in about 1.5 yrs. Need to work on my credit so financed some of it.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

mod sassinator posted:

drat, that is sexy! I love the grill--kind of reminds me of the awesome Raptor grill.

Yea I was |------| this close to buying a raptor but just could not swallow 12mpg. It would have been awesome out here in the desert but this FX4 will do me just fine and the Ecoboost is getting better milage in the city than my old truck got on the highway (conservative highway, not high speed).

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

law abiding rapist posted:

God drat these trucks look so much better without the chrome grille, Ford should use this style on all their vehicles.

That is actually one reason I decided on the FX4 is that it has the least amount of "chrome" of all the models (painted bumpers, mirror housing and the grill).

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Boss posted:

Love these trucks. I've got a 99 F-150 right now and I'm thinking I'll pick up a lightly used 2011 in a couple years so long as mine doesnt poo poo the bed before then (which I doubt it will). How does the Ecoboost sound compared to the 5.0? It's a fairly petty difference but I'll be damned if I don't like the way a healthy V8 sounds.

It's quiet. Sitting there you can barely tell an engine is running until you hit the gas and 1700 rpm hits and the turbos kick in then you are gone. Turn off the traction stuff and I was able to spiin the tires up to 3rd gear. You get the 420 ftlbs just before 2500 rpm.

When the turbos kick in you can hear the exhaust and it's not bad at all but it's not V8 rumble, yet not really v6 *turbo* scream either because you have a lot of pipe under there to let it mellow and deepen.

The lovely thing is that right now Ford is saying if you change out the exhaust and come in with engine/turbo problems they will "possibly" void the engine warranty. They are a bit touchy with the ecoboost right now but oh well. I miss the v8 rumble out of my 5.4 in last truck with magnaflows but I love the power and mpg I am getting with the eco more.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

kimbo305 posted:

The Ecoboost V6 started out in transverse configuration. So this RWD application is the modified version, not the other way round.
The MKS and MKT already use the transverse Ecoboost V6.

^^^ What kimbo said. I think it will show up in the Explorer and probably the Expedition at some point, they probably wanted to limit it to one application in the heavier vehicle to make sure it will work out.

Also, supposedly, next year's Ranger and others will have the 4 cylinder Eco in them. There is also a V8 version, rumor mill, being developed. If the v6 proves itself in trucks I bet Ford will start putting them in across the line.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Yalc posted:

whoops I bought a truck

Nice. I have the ecoboost also. Mine is a supercrew Fx4. Got it in June 2011 and it just rolled over 13k this week. With 4wd and such it's averaged 16.7 mpg since day one. Best so far was a run up to colorado and back along mostly secondary roads running 65/70 mph and I got 21.8 mpg average over 700 mile trip.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Plasti-dip is great for hiding nasty baked paint.

Holy poo poo that's plasti-dip? It looks great from this distance, how is it up close? Did you use rattle cans or paint sprayer?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well unfortunately our beloved Explorer needed a bunch of A/C repair work done to the tune of a compressor, clutch fan, lines, etc. but fortunately, it came at a time when we were looking for a replacement anyway. So we decided to go down to the Ford dealer and drive a few used and new F-150s after the wife decided she didn't like the new Colorados all that much after all and the Silverados we saw in our price range were all fairly stripped out, with the dealers locally not offering great deals.

All I have are pictures I took at the dealership, but since getting it home I have taken the stupid front plate and bracket off. I wish it didn't have chrome wheels, but so be it. The dealers have crazy incentives going on right now, and we got it for $9k under MSRP with all the cash back offers. 2015 F-150 XLT with the FX4 "off-road" package. It's the biggest vehicle I've ever owned, but I am surprised at how well it handles and how easy it is to back into parking spots in the parking garage at work. The 5.0 is also powerful enough to scoot this monster with surprising gusto.

Nice. I have a 2011 FX4 with the EcoBoost and still loving it. I was tempted with the new style and aluminum body to trade it in but don't like that they changed the FX4 to an add on package for just the skid plates etc. I got the FX4 edition because I didn't want all the chrome crap and for the capability to lock the rear dif in 4x4. I've since changed over to the Raptor 4x4 controller so I can lock the rear diff in 2wd. That is a ton of fun on dirt roads. As long as the eco stays strong I will keep it a few more years before I think about replacing it. I did almost 900 miles this last weekend going up into Colorado and got a combined 22.9 mpg while traveling 80-85 on the highways (slower once in the mountains). I wasn't towing (obviously) but with 3 adults, 1 child and the bed filled with camping stuff it was loaded down pretty well.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

si posted:

I don't know why everyone is so confused by the new BMW model offerings. It's simple. The bigger the number, the more prestige. For people who couldn't afford to show off a 5 series, but were too wealthy to be seen in a 3 series, there is now the 4 series. Properly reflecting their status in society.

Uhh so wait you mean this is the highest social tier of BMW'hood?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
1973 Super Beetle. I will be pulling the engine/transmission and putting in a turbo 2.2 engine and transmission from a subaru with reverse cut gears. I bought it this spring and just been playing around with it while I source parts. I am still looking for a good donor car for the engine and transmission. My local area is pretty dry for good ones so I am having to expand my search.

Once I have the donor car I will start a project thread.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

KakerMix posted:

You going to leave it looking like this? That would be hella rad.

I'm going to remove the front turn lights, install tail lights from an earlier bug and close in the rear quarter window vents. I'm not sure about color yet. I am getting rid of all the chrome also.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
My current herd..

Daily/Tow Master/Road Trip Mule
2002 Ford F-250 w/7.3 Powerstroke Diesel with a few performance upgrades
I also replaced the headlight/grill/mirrors with newer style so it looks more like the 2005+ trucks.

Fun Daily/Backup when truck is being a pain/next winter's body project
1973 VW Super Bug w/rebuilt 1700 stroker engine

Current Project
1947 CJ-2A Willys w/original L-134 Go Devil engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
New project. 1979 Cherokee Chief
Plan is to do the little bit of bodywork it needs (only 2 spots of rust on rear fenders) then this winter the engine comes out and depending on what I find either I'll rebuild the 360 or do a swap.
I've actually had it for a while, ran up to Colorado and trailered it back to NM the week before Covid shut down both states but I was working on the '47 CJ2A you can see and my 73 Super Beetle to get both ready to sell.