Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GOD IS BED posted:

Please let us know what kind of car he gets that's "easier to work on" than a Honda, this sounds like a recipe for hilarity.

anything old, rwd, and computerless should fit the bill

he'll have to work on it a whole lot more, but each task will be easier

starter's right on the bottom of a sbc, for example. alternator's right on top. no fwd rear-bank spark-plug shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GOD IS BED posted:

Fair enough, but what kind of jalopy is that gonna be on a college kid's budget? That's what I'm excited to learn.

i bought my '65 impala and '69 chevelle on a student budget, but i doubt i could again

probably malaise era pickups are still available for a fair price. they'll be beat, but tbh that was inevitable anyway

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nadmonk posted:

I have news.

He has a new car.
A 2009 VW GTI.
I do not know the mileage, but it is a manual.

An early DI engine with presumably high mileage with an auto mechanics novice.

he gon learn :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

Split the difference Chris. 496/8.1 it.

LS engines are cute and all but they lack the beef that is cubes.

i think the main disadvantage of the 8.1 is that there really isn't much aftermarket for it. if you wanna use it as-is, it's a good motor. especially if you're going to keep the stock fuel injection setup.

but you can make in excess of 500HP with a late model 454 just with a cam and springs, so having that aftermarket can be pretty nice.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i like that nobody in your class considered any color besides black. why would you??

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MetaJew posted:

Who was the goon that drilled speed holes and used corrugated plastic sheeting as underbody panels for his civic?

vitamin j

you can really tell who has been to the track and who hasn't :rolleyes:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you gonna do something about that front plate

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MetaJew posted:

Don't have so many kids, or leave one at home. EZ

that river-crossing with animals puzzle, but with kids and a miata

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
awwww yeah

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

chrisgt posted:

Swap it to a 6.0: nope.
I don't care what you do to a 6.0, you won't make the same torque from idle to 3k rpm N/A; forced induction for towing is in the category of extremely danger.
A gen6 454 with an RPM airgap intake, long tube headers, and a well tuned carb will make in the neighborhood of 500lb/ft of torque around 3500rpm, a 6.0 can't beat that.

I'm not against fuel injection in general, if i found a good deal on an 8.1 i'd probably go with that but I do have one requirement for efi: it must be factory parts. If i'm on the road and have a failed factory ECU or sensor or something, i can get one anywhere.

Cummins swap would be fun, but REALLY expensive, that's looking at swapping the everything. Different trans, transfer case, custom mounts, etc. A chevy engine will just drop in.

yeah this is all correct. a junkyard gen6 with intake/cam/springs is going to be a totally different animal than a malaise era 454 or whatever, provided you can still find one in good shape. it's like turning your nose up at an L31 vortec because your old tbi 350 made no power to speak of.

the 8100 is a great motor if you plan on leaving it stock. last i checked, there was't really anything in the way of aftermarket for it. which is fine, because it's good as-is, but you're not going to hotrod it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Full Collapse posted:

I disagree. I have 35% tint all around on my car and I find the light blockage adequate—it’s like sunglasses level. Lots of folks around here will go down to 20% or even limo tint, though, but I don’t want to be hassled by the cops.

Minimum front side tint for trucks and SUVs in Illinois is 50%, but you can go as dark as you want on the other windows. Windshield banners are fine on everything as long as they’re no more than 6” or above the AS1 line.

it sounds like you're saying 35% allowed, where he is saying 30% blocked (70% allowed)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
man, that sounds like a downgrade in pretty much every way. isnt the e9x the pinnacle of modern bmw?

the only one ive experienced was a 330d, and it seemed like a pretty good time for a modern car. surprised me that a diesel actually had some care put into making it halfway fun. are the more recent ones really an upgrade from that?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i guess that's true, but only because they have been back-sliding every generation. the e36 and e46 look kind of lame when compared to the e30, but they look like lithe lean sports cars when compared to anything that starts with F. what's the sports car version of the overton window?

probably when the e30 came out, it would look like poo poo next to an e9 or 2002, but idk i wasn't into cars when i was that young

the S65 is a bright spot in the midst of the ongoing malaise, so the e9x does stand out somewhat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
that seems pretty normal??

i get like 8 in town and maybe crack double digits on the freeway. i dont think any of my cars have gotten over like 13 on average?

its ok if hobbies cost money, its recreation in addition to transportation.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I'm on board.

Aw.
You'll probably regret it later, but sometimes there's not another avenue.

"you can't race your house, but..."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah the stock ones are fine, i guess, but bronze is best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol nice license plate, celery man