Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Seluin posted:

Congrats. I got my 1998 C5 back in 2003. Are those the magnesium wheels on yours?

I got the Corsa exhaust a year ago and if you don't care about keeping the car stock I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seluin posted:

I'm fortunate in that my coworker and her husband both take their corvettes to the race track. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from them :)

Where the hell do you live, Corvetteland?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I do really like the profile of the Z4, not so much the front of it. I bet it's fun as hell to drive, but I don't think I'd ever describe its look as "mean" It's too small to be mean, isn't it? I don't know, maybe it's just this American bigger is better culture I was raised in. We also like our torque!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

pmMike posted:

Wait, why does this woman have three arms? Are they radioactive balls?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

YoYo posted:

Skyline Drive about an hour and half outside of DC
Where specifically? I love how the Appalachian mountains look like big bowls of Twix onces the leaves really start changing. But I'm normally driving up through MD, is that West Virginia there?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Manny posted:

Really nice. What camera did you use for the video? Make sure you post the full one here when you're done.
If he comes back and says the GoPro HD HERO then that'll seal the deal and I'm buying one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

lolwut posted:

422rwhp N/A
Nice, here's mine:

It's a 1998 Z51 with an air intake and corsa exhaust but that's it. What'd you do to yours to get it so high?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

JoeWagon posted:

No, I'm pretty sure he meant high as in your corvette is in 4x4 mode, not high as in power. Seriously, look at that fist fender gap!

I actually did mean the power, but now that you mention it I looked closer and that does look crazy high.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

OK, frosty pictures!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57177661@N06/sets/72157625706076462/
What's with the license plate?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

2008 Ford Focus SES (2.0L I4, 5SP Manual) - Bone Stock. Planning on hitting up Steeda/FSWerks/Ford Racing/ect... to change that. Also Washington provides some of the best background/scenery for car pictures :3:

(click for bigger)
I like your custom plates.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

happyscrappyheropup posted:

My '72 C10 Suburban.

I don't know if you remember this but a few years ago when you posted shots of your Corvette and the ATV with the snowplow on it, I recognized my boss' house in the background. Well I was just browsing this thread at work and he happened to stop by for an appointment that turned out to have canceled, and he came in as I was looking at this thread and said "hey that's my neighbor!"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FunkyJunk posted:

Now that's what I call a 2+2 seater.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
All this talk about Corvettes and automatics made me realize I haven't posted my car since 2006 or so. The only decent photos I bothered taking were in 2004. I swear I'm gonna take some new ones or do a GoPro video this summer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lt. Jebus posted:

Not my car, but I did co-sign on the loan so I'm posting a pic.

My Girlfriends new 2012 Focus.

I probably would have gone with the Hatch but we got a really great deal on this very well equipped sedan. I was actually quite surprised at how well it drives and the fit and finish on the interior is great. Its my first time using SYNC and When it works its great, but it can be very finicky as to what it can parse. However the myFord Touch Elements that the mid level car is fitted with is not user friendly by a long shot and pretty much requires a thorough read of the manual which as a Techie I hardly ever have to do.

While its "Peppy" on the highway [in my opinion] it needs a few more ponies to waken it up a little, but thats probably because I'm used to DDing a CTS-V. The upcoming ST model should be pretty amazing, if the base is anything to go by.

Thanks for posting that because the more I'm looking into the Focus as my next new car the more plausible it's sounding. I really could use the space of the Magnum if they bring it back, but for 99% of what I do I may be able to get away with the Focus. I was intending to wait and see what sort of fuel economy numbers the ST gets, but one thing that concerns me is I like having a daily driver with slightly soft suspension since the roads around D.C. are A. complete poo poo or B. nicely paved then ruined with speed humps or speed bumps for glorious neighborhood safety!

I'm guessing the ST will have pretty tight suspension, so I'm wondering how you like it in your Focus, and if you were considering beefing up the output how much would you bother doing to get to something you'd be happy with?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Internet Meme posted:

I'm convinced I live in some sort of bizzaro universe where Kia makes the best looking cars.

I've noticed that in the last 6 months every cool looking car I I see in traffic that I can't immediately identify turns out to be a Kia. It's very strange.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
That's blowing my mind hearing about all this back and forth. I got a 1998 Vette in February 2003 and haven't done anything but Corsa exhaust and sound to it. I still love it and don't know what I'd even do with more horsepower in that thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Haven't taken a photo of it in forever, but I just got powder coated brake calipers so I thought it was worth a new photo. It's a 1998 with the suspension package that I got used (on ebay but 10 minutes away from me) in early 2003.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Screw the Monte Carlo haters. I bought my '02 LS in October of 2001 and it's still a great daily driver. I've never seen a ton on the road because I guess D.C. isn't nascar-country, but I love the wheel arches and every time I think I have too much gear to haul for work I'm impressed that I was able to fit it all in there.

That being said, I'm thinking about hatchbacks for my next car just to make loading/unloading even easier.

Old photo

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I know I just posted my ride a page ago, but in that time everything magically turned from green to brown.

Edit: from last page about Monte Carlos

VacaGrande posted:

My neighbor in the middle of Capitol Hill had an SS identical to the one posted earlier and parallel-parked that whale every single day. Hats off to that dude.
I knew it was a long car but it didn't really register just how long until I looked it up just now. 197.9 inches. .2 inches longer than a Dodge Magnum. Now I don't feel so bad about the one time I completely failed to parallel park it in D.C., and better about all the times I succeeded.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 24, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, that doesn't seem that bad. More than a foot shorter than a Crown Vic, for example. Does it have a really bad turning radius?

Not at all. Better than my Corvette in fact.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Yall don't want to see the whole interior. If I told you it was a manual Grand Prix, you'd believe me. A sampling:

GM apologist! Lightweight plastics mean more speed!
1998, sorry it's an auto.

2002, not sorry its an auto with the traffic around here.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
^^
That picture would be a lot better if your Corvette didn't have a Toyota dealer license frame on it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

First Time Caller posted:

Rollbar installed and ready for my lovely driving. Bring it on Summit Point.

Are there ever any goon meets at Summit Point?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

AdmiralViscen posted:

Daily driver (with wife)

We were just having a discussion about high belt lines in the new car thread and this picture illustrates that perfectly. For reference how tall is she?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

Snapped a quick shot of my s2000 next to my co-worker's '03 C5 with 8,xxx miles on it. He only drives it to work when there's a 110% chance of no rain.

Well if we're doing our cars next to our boss's here's mine on the left, his on right:

Edit: both automatics :P

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 6, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

He's not my boss. He actually makes less than I do but his wife is loaded.

Ahh my bad, you clearly said co-worker, but your car next to a red one just reminded me so much of that photo I had taken years prior just subconsciously linked the two.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was just playing pool with a friend tonight and the tv was on AMC where National Lampoon's Vacation was near the end, then it ended and started playing again! How different would that movie have been if they had gotten the blue sportwagon Clark originally ordered?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Worthington posted:

PS. Davebo, if that's a pewter C5, I use to have the same car -threw nitrous on that one :)

It's actually the Sebring Silver, which you're right doesn't show dirt well. That doesn't really matter though since I do keep it garaged and don't drive it if there's a chance of rain (has summer tires on rear wheels) It's also automatic as I've mentioned. I really just sort of lucked into it on ebay 9 years ago from a guy who lived ten minutes from me. Ideally I'd have a manual with a bolder color but I'm not really in the market for a new Corvette, nor will I ever be I'm afraid, and I just had the brake calipers powder coated so I don't even want to bother trying to get rid of it anytime soon. You mentioned you had exhaust put on yours. I love the Corsa exhaust with the tiger tips I had put on mine, is that what you went for or something else? Also does anyone have an idea if the C7 will go back to flip-up headlights?

My daily driver on the other hand is black and always dirty. I've had that ten and a half years now, has broken a/c and I'd love to replace it with something new. Problem is I'd like a wagon for my work gear and all I read about are underpowered wagons that only get sold in Europe :argh:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

azerdude32 posted:

I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

I dunno man, when you posted a photo of it a few weeks ago saying you were thinking of selling it I almost replied with "how much?" I'm trying to get rid of my 10 year old commuter in favor of some kind of new wagon that would fit all my gear but also get good mileage and be reliable for 10 years like my current ride was until a month ago. Part of me though just wants an awesome used, fun daily driver like yours. That Fiat still isn't as cool as your Avant but it is new and will be fun and get better mileage, so why not go for it?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

hunter x az posted:

Welp thanks for the information guys.

But how do you like my car?

We don't. If you were a goon you'd have an SA grenade on it. Seems to me you've picked your side already. Go ask your reddit friends how they like it. :colbert:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kyon posted:

Every photo has a different watermark, but I thought it was funny that the one marked "Form & Function" for the coilovers seems to show how not-functional they are. I assume all that damage was done because the fenders are too close to the wheels? Are you gonna raise it?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

turnerburna posted:

Call me old but looks-wise I sure like it more than the rx-7 we've been fawning over. I'd rather drive the rx7 in anything other than a straight line, but the nearest drag strip is a lot closer than the nearest race track. Cool car turnerburna.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

What if I did want a Ferrari with an LS1? It'd be easier to work on!

Didn't some guy have an f430 once where the engine blew and Ferrari wouldn't replace it so he stuck a twin turbo LS1 in it?

Edit: it was a 360: http://jalopnik.com/5792518/awesome-1000-horsepower-chevy-powered-ferrari-360-is-awesome

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Toucan Sam posted:

In my quest for a new car this fall I've often wondered if I would buy another Monte Carlo if Chevy still offered one. I don't think anyone offers a coupe with so much trunk space that still gets decent mileage. I'm pretty sick of this 4 speed auto though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

djfooboo posted:

What's with the tape on the bumper?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GTi_guy posted:

I've grown so used to A5H's stanceworks photos that even when I see a properly awesome sports car with a great handling stock suspension, all I think is 4x4. It's really no more wheel gap than mine, it's just that flash on the camera makes it seem larger when you can see the wheel well.

I think I'm just going to stop taking profile photos of cars though.

Edit: vv I could not even handle that height. The D.C. area does not favor low cars. No matter what my angle of approach is I'm always scraping my front spoiler air dam whatever you call it. I don't think I've ever actually hit the skid guard though.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GTi_guy posted:

Future plans;
DVD head unit with some nice factory sized speakers. No boom tisk here.

That center console looks like one large unit with some oddly shaped cutouts for the controls. What's involved in putting an aftermarket head unit in there? Do you just have a whole new center piece made out of matching material?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Yeticopter posted:

Thanks, I'm sure the confidence and know-how will come with time, as of now, and especially when I test drove it I was nearly scared shitless, more from paranoia of scrapping a wheel or the front lip than actually losing it. A friend of mine has an '89 Targa that he's been kind enough to let me hoon around a bit, so I had a little time to get acquainted with the way these old air-cooled's lose traction, even if it's in 1st gear gunning it around a right turn. It's still way less forgiving than the kind of composure you get from 997's and Caymans though.

I would definitely raise it. The look of having it low isn't worth the paranoia of scraping it everywhere and eventually you'll just get tired of local places where you know it always scrapes and start not driving it as much, thereby having less fun in life. The wheels might not seem to fit the era but it's not so bad mixing the old with the new. At least it sets it apart from other classic Porsches that people have kept completely stock. What is it you were trying to do with insurance though? I know where I am you can get historic plates on cars 25 years old, but do the insurance companies have a price break at the same age?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

nerdrum posted:

Good bye, Mini Cooper that likes to burn 3 quarts of oil a month and hello Korean Goddess

Well hello new Korean car buddy. I just picked this up about an hour ago:

2012 Kia Optima SX.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you been in a modern sedan recently? Rear visibility is terrible.
Yeah, I'm noticing that now. Kinda sucks. Also with the side mirrors in my other cars, I never understood why it said objects are closer than they appear because everything looked pretty in proportion, but for some reason in this car things look really tiny in those mirrors.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Getting this repainted on Tuesday:

Very happy to have it looking new.
I love your Monte Carlo and I'm going to miss mine. It's the black one in that photo. I didn't bother trading it in since I wouldn't get jack for it, but now that I think about selling it myself on craigslist I'm starting to realize all the little things that are wrong with it and I don't know if it's worth that trouble either. I might just clean it up and see what Carmax will give me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Posted the cel phone pic from the dealership a week ago but here are some slightly better pics from my driveway last week. Already went on a small road trip so now the front is covered in bugs and the rest is a bit polleny.

2012 Kia Optima SX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Megiddo posted:

poo poo, the different Kia badge actually looks decent on there. I didn't think it would look good on my '11 blue SX so I left it with the stock badge, but I guess I was wrong.

Too bad they like to desecrate the Optimas with that atrocious Optima decal thing on the top of the rear bumper, otherwise yours would look really clean with a K5 badge (since you already don't have the Optima badge on the rear).

Yeah it came with that sticker on the back, and the night I swapped the K badges I didn't have a ton of time. Someone on the optima forums said it took them over an hour to goo-gone off all the crap from that sticker so... :effort:

I'll leave it on, and I'll probably end up tying my snowboard boots on the bumper some day so it's probably not a bad idea.