Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My battle wagon.

Going to get it tinted (35%), paint the wheels darker, and throw an engine mount on it over winter hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gryphon posted:

I know a lot of people here don't really care for this kind of thing but I love it. :shobon:

I like it, minus the hood spacers. I won't lecture you though. haha.

As for my cars, I sold the white Mazdaspeed 3 I had in June and replaced it with two cars. First is a 1999 Civic EX.

Fantastic beater/DD. The body isn't in the best shape with dings all over it, but there's hardly any rust underneath at all (came from Chicago :iiam: ). It's a 5 speed and is dreadfully slow, but it gets great gas mileage. I put a Progress rear sway bar on it because the body roll was so terrible I couldn't take it. Basically just using it for the winter and to have a reliable car to get to work.

The second car you can see in the background, which is a black 1994 Miata R package.

When I picked it up. Rips in the top I could stick my hand through, leaves and white dog hair throughout the interior, a noisy pilot bearing, and an oil leak. Really dirty and uncared for.

Now. ::v: I fixed all the previously mentioned problems, but that's not enough. I've parked it over winter and am preparing it for some track days in the spring. I still want to drive it on the street though for nice days. Currently the only mods are Koni yellows, RB front sway, Hard Dog Hardcore Roll bar, and a K&N air filter. (The guy before me raced it in E stock, I added the roll bar) Bought some Corbeau Forza seats for it recently to get below the bar. I'm planning on adding good brake pads and fluid, fuel filter, doing the timing belt & water pump, radiator and hoses, FM frame rails, possibly some Kosei K1's and Azenis tires, and FCM coilovers with the stock Bilstein dampers to have it for my liking in the spring. I may get some Energy Suspension bushings while I'm at it, if I don't already have enough to do. :) I could make a project thread about it, but I feel like there's enough Miata stuff that it might be gayness overload for AI. (if that's possible.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

That is one of those cars that you'd love to be able to pass on to your kids... buried in.

It's a good day when you can sell a Focus and get that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

raseri posted:

Do 2 intake manifolds make it faster? That's a heck of an intake "pipe."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

2004 Cadillac CTS V. Just bought it and looking to keep it clean and not really mod it. About all I plan to do are some good brake fluid, SS lines, tint, a spoiler (looks weird without it) and some other little stuff. Then track it and hope my diff doesn't explode.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Viggen posted:

You forgot "The plastic says GM quality." :v:

Looks like Ford "quality" to me.

Newer GM vehicles actually have pretty nice interiors. They weren't always that way of course but they are so much better than just 5 years ago or so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice car.

I'll look at the BRZ again when they come out with a turbo model, I don't think the NA one would be enough for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I looked it up cause I didn't know anything about them either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascari_FGT

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kill me now posted:

am i seeing things or is there some sort plastic thing on the top of the roll hoop?

also seconding the more vettes for the vette gods! :black101:
whats that like 9 or 10 in AI now?

Antenna I'm guessing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wheels look good, though I'm not feeling the front lip and side skirts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So that's what tools larger than 1/2" drive are for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I bought a 1998 Chevy Corvette last year. It's my only vehicle

You drive that in the winter? Awesome.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, as someone who DD's a 350Z in New England, is it possible to just rent a garage some where I can leave my car from Nov - March or something? But even so, I wouldn't want to let my car just sit there for 5 months without ever running. I don't have a garage, nor do any friends or family.

I'd love to buy a dirt cheap piece of poo poo for Mon - Fri and only drive the Z on weekends.

Get a storage unit for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

over-inflate the tires, top off the gas, change the oil, hook up a battery maintainer, put a breathable cover on it and forget about it for 5 months.

I'd just pull the battery or disconnect it and not worry about the cover unless the unit is leaking or something. Throw some Stabil in the gas and roll it back and forth every few weeks if you don't want the tires to flat spot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Do it with cubes, not hydros. :smug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

Have any of you ST owners cross-shopped with the Veloster Turbo? If so, what made you decide on the ST?
I haven't driven the ST but I really enjoyed the Veloster Turbo I test drove.

Drive the Ford and then go back and drive the Veloster again. Pay attention to road/wind noise and the interior quality (if you care about those sorts of things). I say this without ever driving the Fiesta, only the Veloster. I imagine the Ford drives much much better, too. All in all I'm pretty unimpressed by most of the recent Hyundai offerings. They look nice and are cheap, but you can tell where they saved the money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Chrysotile posted:

I'm not sure how it got the miles on it, and frankly I'd rather not know. One of the garage guys offered to hook it up to the programmer to read off the max speeds and engine RPM lifetime, but I told him I'd rather not know. I'm more worried about seating the brakes for the break-in, I'm sure the engine will be fine.

Bonus wife car shot:

Grabbed this one last year. 2009 CTS-V. Walked in thinking we were getting an SRX. Wife liked it because it was red. Told her they had other red ones on the lot too, but she liked the way this one sounded when it started up. Now she's convinced she could beat me in a race. I'm honestly not sure.

drat, two LSA's. Your wife must be into cars, right? Not many would pay 2x the price of the normal car just because it's red.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

Sounds like you're in it for pushing excel spreadsheets of whp than driving. Pretty much no one lives less than an hour from a race course, yet somehow we manage.

Best of luck on fixing the fiberglass though, that's a doozy.

Not everyone wants to be a race car driver.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

davebo posted:

I honestly don't know for certain that the one on the right is a Z06 and not a hardtop with fake vents. One thing's for certain, I hate the '97-'99 base model wheels.

You kind of cherry picked those images. The C5 Z06 is the only FRC (fixed roof coupe) really except for a model year or two of the C5 (left pic). Most are the hatches or convertibles. That said, I can always spot a C5z but usually have to look for the badge on a C6. And I see them way more than most people...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm not a fan of your body mods.

And now I'll politely gently caress off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

shootme posted:

Drove my new project home from my shop today for the first time since towing it home from Indiana.

What's under the hood?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Brother finished up the first stage of paint cleanup on the 928 so we took it out to get a few pictures yesterday.

Should be some better ones once he goes through his memory cards.

Wait what the gently caress? I never knew the headlights actually came up. I thought they were fixed position. :monocle: Mind blown. Looking at the angle of them at rest makes me think I was dumb to assume that before, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kill me now posted:

It may not be the best deal in the world but he got a brand new car with the full warranty (his pre-owned Hyundai wouldn’t have had the full 10yr/100k warranty (doesn't transfer to a second owner) only the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper one) and was able to lower his apr by a significant amount. Also as he said the 2013 is a much improved car over the 2010, it’s a completely different generation of Elantra. With the way the two Korean brands have been updating their lineups a few years really can make a big difference in customer satisfaction.

No poo poo? That's how they have such a good warranty claim then. I doubt most people even keep the car that long.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

drukqs posted:

Somebody on facebook recommended this

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY

I might give it a try, only 15 bucks...

That's not going to work great for the recesses of those lights. You mount the pads on a drill and I imagine it's going to be hard to get the corners in there given the contours. Just get some polish and do it by hand. It won't take much effort.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I just bought another Soarer. It's got a $2600 exhaust. , gently caress off

I'll take a picture when it's light out.

Is it made entirely of titanium? Jesus.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Das Volk posted:

:stare:
On a stock turbo? Is this the Italian incarnation of the 4G63?

At the wheels? Doubtful. Turbo Sonics with the 1.4T can do about the same with a tune and premium gas at the flywheel (or as the ECM calculates it...). Slightly less torque I believe though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 17, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

...Until the transmission breaks. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Major Ryan posted:

Not new, but tomorrow will be it's first decent road trip, so it's all cleaned up and ready to go and gets a photo in honour of that. Also another black car that only looks clean for the first drive...

2004 MX5. I chop and change cars too often, but this one's proving to be a keeper.

Car looks very nice. I wish black cars weren't so hard to keep clean because they're gorgeous for that first five minutes of cleanliness. Also if I were you I'd remove the fake roll bar ("style bar"). It's not going to help in a crash/roll.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Man, I'd love a 300-400 dollar beater to DD. I can get plasti-dip pretty cheap, too, which would result in ridiculous paint schemes :v:

I'd do the rainbow Lamborghini vinyl wrap on this one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

20mm spacers? It must have had bread truck wheel offset.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nth-ing the "nice car" comments. That's spec'd how I'd buy it if I were in the market.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jesus, that grill. That's a face only a mother could love. :v:

Grats on the cars, dudes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh my :awesome:

I don't believe I've ever seen a MkIV that was that clean.

...You mean the one with the clearcoat flaking off the whole side of the car? :v: (doesn't look like cloud reflection but hard to tell. It would make me sad if it's really the CC chipping)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

All aboard the blue train

Chooo choooo

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bought a 2001 Silverado to eventually be my tow vehicle. Just cleaned her up nicely, a bit of a cross post from the detailing thread.

I still want to clean up the corrosion on the wheels an replace the front turn signal lights since they leak and there's some black poo poo (mold) and dead bugs inside the lenses. I'll probably wait to do the wheels when I put on new tires and strip the wheel weights off to get the whole wheel (they're on the outside, ugh, who still does this???) cleaned up. Then paint or plastidip a dark grey, I think. Then there's all the fluids to change, trans cooler, hitch poo poo, etc, etc. It will never end. Hopefully I'll have time to work on that race car at some point. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Maybe mold, maybe charcoal depending on where it is. The DRL sockets on mine were literally burnt where the bulb attached but they still worked. GM really cheaped out with those.

The good news is that the lamps are $8 per side, new. Passing the savings on to the customer! :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just bought a new car. I wanted a higher sitting vehicle so I stopped plowing snow with my Focus on our terrible long gravel driveway that our little community here never plows.

Tell us more about what you plan to do with the front license plate :v:

I almost bought my MS3 from there, but ended up going to Kings since they had one in CWP. Congrats on the purchase.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

SlimManFat posted:

^Now this thing has been a bit of a "when the gently caress are you going to do it?" project. Not sure if I want to finish it, or wait it out and get an ST185. But either way, I've got this bastard below here ready to roll for either car

Isn't what you posted a ST185? :confused: Maybe I don't know my celicas.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I thought you were having a conversation with yourself like a crazy person until I saw the user names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spog posted:

I never understood why vans like this aren't available/popular in the USA. Okay, they don't have the 'I drive a truck, yee-haw' image and they aren't as good off-road, but apart from that, anything a truck can do, they do much, much better.

Automakers probably would rather have you buy a truck since that's where the majority of profits are made.