Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
My 2008 GTI with DSG and funky plaid seats, completely stock and awaiting spring so I can do a few mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Blackdawgg posted:

2007 GTi w/DSG 14,500 miles. Nothing done to it yet. Planning on stage 1 after Xmas.

Waiting impatiently for the new OEM RNS-510 navigation unit to come below $2000.

Is that Westside Volkswagen in Minnesota?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

bleepstreet posted:

2007 VW Rabbit. I still haven't reached the limit of traction on these tires yet. I love overtaking people while going around those 270 degree on-ramps. The heated seats and heated wing mirrors are great for those frosty Canadian mornings.

Are those the stock tires?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Skizzles posted:

I assume you're talking to me, and I don't see what you're talking about. :smith:

It looks like your rear wheel is damaged around the edges from too many failed parallel parking attempts.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

DropShadow posted:

Awesome, I didn't know you had a thread on it. Going to go read it now.

It's more of a pipe dream right now for me to get another (third) car. I'm trying to sell an A4 and want to spend more time/money modding my GTI this summer. The wife would kill me if I SEARCHED MINNEAPOLIS and brought home a CLASSIC VW like yours or even a MK1 OR MK2 GTI/RABBIT.

How about a 1979 diesel Rabbit? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1079306880.html

Or a 1973 Karmann Ghia? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1091234393.html

Milwaukee is only a few hours away: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1079736773.html

I'm bored at work and I've run out of old British cars to search for.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I posted my daily driver MkV GTI earlier in the thread, but this is what I'll be autocrossing next season:

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

It's a Red Devil Formula 500. The owner took a trophy in it at nationals this year.

It's powered by a 500cc Rotax snowmobile engine out of a Skidoo snowmobile and almost everything on the car is very simple to work on. The car weighs around 820 pounds with a driver. It's got a CVT transmission and does 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds, and can pull 2 gs sustained through a corner.

No plans for upgrades this winter, but hopefully someday we can install an electric start instead of the pull start.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

hahaha when you posted on facebook not being strong enough for the pull start I thought you got a go kart.

It's obnoxious like a go-kart but it's louder and breaks more often.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

sk8bored posted:

Just picked up the Lotus.

:swoon: You have excellent taste.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

D C posted:

Neat gravel, what kind of car do you have?

It almost looked like a bunch of 944s at first.

Is this the car equivalent of fat girls myspace angles?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
1994 Honda Civic DX:

It's in decent shape for a Minnesota car, aside from a cracked headlight, blown speakers and a little bit of questionable body work.

1995 Mazda Miata with popular options package:

I like taking pictures of my Miata parked next to oversized objects.

I also have a 1990 Jetta but I hate it so much that even thinking about it causes my blood to boil with rage.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Contraband posted:

"HAAAAAY"? :v:

If you're going to go, you might as well go all out. Besides, the car is a little too rusty to have a plate like FABULOUS.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Lando posted:

DSC_0687 by Lando123, on Flickr

2010 Subaru STi Special Edition

I thought the 2010 Special Editions only came in white. :confused:

D C, the special editions have stiffer suspension and a single-disc CD player instead of a six-disc CD changer.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

sim posted:

I've had it for just over year, but I'm not in love with it.

Why not? I miss my MkV GTI like crazy.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

sim posted:

Then why don't you still have it? For me, I think it's pretty much all down to styling and front wheel drive. But it is an excellent car.

Mine was plagued with problems and insurance was sky high.

Styling and FWD are both valid concerns. What options did you get on your GTI?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I just picked up a 2011 WRX today!

Now I have to decide whether I should keep my NA Miata.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

ZenMastaT posted:

Very nice looking! Did you have any trouble finding one with the options you wanted? I was looking at these a few months ago and the dealership kept making noises about how the earthquake was going to make them scarcer and scarcer but I figured they were just being full of poo poo. They give you any guff when price negotiating?

I went to a "best price" dealership. If you try to haggle with them, they'll tell you to gently caress right off.

They didn't have any in stock when I went to go look for one and gave me some lines about the earthquake, but they showed me a big list of all of the cars that were coming in and let me take my pick. It was between this and a bunch of highly-optioned cars. I had to keep it under $30k with all of the taxes and fees and nothing else would have come close.

Did you end up buying something else?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Wrar posted:

If you're anything like me, you'll start to miss the RWD in about 3-6 months. If your Miata is in decent shape keep it.

I know I'll miss it and kick myself for selling it. The engine is in great shape but everything else is worn out and the exterior looks just plain bad. The thing I'll miss most is my vanity plates: I'm the one with the plates that say HAAAAAY.

meatpimp posted:

You've never had a turbo Miata. Especially at 20psi.

If I keep the Miata, turbocharging it is definitely an option. I've had too many other projects lately to have fun with the Miata -- project house, project job, project relationships. I'll need something to tinker uselessly on once I get tired of working on the Duke Nukem Forever of houses.

ZenMastaT posted:

What kind of options did you end up with? I was actually looking at STI's originally but a lot of the comfort options sort of felt like a step down from my Legacy GT so I ended up going with a used BMW instead.

I got the auto-dimming mirror with a compass, and that's it! It's drat useful when you still use a map to navigate. I wanted the short shift kit but since there were no models to test drive, I couldn't compare to see how badly I wanted or needed it.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

One of the best sport sedans ever made... E39 M5.

The worst cup holders ever made.... E39 M5.

The useless cupholders were the only thing I disliked about my E39. Otherwise, :swoon:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

ZenMastaT posted:

The only option I got with my BMW was the sports kit. I don't even have a compass mirror and I miss it :(

There is such a thing as too short of a shift, for me at least. I test drove a 2012 Mustang 6 speed and the space between gears was so small I had a hard time figuring whether I was down shifting into 3rd or 1st. I suppose practice would make perfect but it just felt uncomfortable.

I missed having a compass in my Miata. I almost bought one of those godawful ugly dash compasses just to find my way around.

I've driven some cars with terrible aftermarket shift kits, but I'm inclined to believe that Subaru's kit is probably good. I know someone with a 2011 WRX with the kit, but he's one of those types who won't let anyone else drive his car and he knows what a hooligan I am.

I went out for a drive last night... and the night before that... and every night since I bought the WRX. I got it on Monday and I've already put over 500 miles on it. It's already filthy because I had a date on Wednesday night and we decided the best way to spend the night was to drive 70 miles in search of twisty gravel roads.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 30, 2011

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

War Bunny posted:

Did you christen the car, Subaru buddy?

I did. I found some gravel roads that were sufficiently curvy and surprisingly well-groomed. Wait... were you talking about the other kind of getting dirty in a Subaru?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

DropShadow posted:

These all look very nice. I don't know much about the C4 platform, except that I want one.

I saw all of those Audis and my first thought was that you had been busy buying cars.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I had to google that... then I saw this. :lol: So terrible but so awesome.

BMW calls it Phoenix Gold, but I call this color Found In A Diaper Gold.

Powershift, that brown King Ranch interior looks so nice. The fading just gives it character, like a well-worn saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd fly that poo poo into the side of my car within about ten minutes. I don't think I can be trusted with remote control anything.

I just bought this:

'97 (1.8L) Miata with low miles. 1 of only 556 Miatas made for the Canadian market that year. I need to pull the headlight buckets up and fix various small things.

Hold on a loving second, you finally decided to buy something? What are you gonna do with your free time now that you're not perusing kijiji all day for a second car?