Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
My Heep:

Specs: '08 JK Rubicon, Auto, 2.5 BB, 35'Baja Claws, Locker mod
Being stupid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxctgMZfmHE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

First of all, I have both a 1991 Z28 and a 1992 B4C Camaro.

No, I don't have a mullet.

No, I don't "yank out all the silly EFI stuff and slap on a carburetor and tape over the check engine light..."

Yes, I do modify or replace every part that propels the car or that the car rides on.

Yes, I do like the body style.

No, I do not like the drive train GM put into it.

Yes, I have owned one of every year of 3rd generation Camaro.

No, I have only owned a couple years of 3rd generation Firebird.

Yes, the B4C will out run, brake, handle, and top speed many eurocars of similar weight.

No, it absolutely will not do it with the same class.

Yes, the Z28 is a long term project to have a slow'ish looking brutally fast street legal drag car.

No, I will not likely finish assembling the Z28 nor sell it in my lifetime :downsgun: The white 91 is like vaporware but with a huge exception; most of the money has been spent, needed parts already acquired, but time budgeting prevents its assembly.

The 1992 cop car (B4C code)

brakes:

Its engine:

old intake:

new intake:

The 1991 Z28 Drag Car

The rear:

Intake:

EFI:

Heads:

Shortblock Parts:

Wheels/Tires:

K-member:

Coil Overs:

Low mile 1991 F250 4x4 pic was taken in 2005 mileage is up to 43k now and paint is fading a little

1993 Subaru Loyale high mileage $1500 special (driving since 2002?)

Work Parking Lot

Can you tell me more about the B4c option code? What did it entail? And I love your third gens, my next project is gonna be a third gen with a 350 swap.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

The B4C is the cop car model. Nothing more than a low key Z28 with Rally Sport styling.

In the 3rd gen they only made B4C's in 1991 and 1992 with less than 400 cars made each of the two years.

In 1992 they added the 1LE option to the B4C. The 1LE option at the time was special front spindles with multi piston calipers from the Corvette and rotors from the massive Caprice B-body/truck line. The 1LE was normally radio and AC delete. The B4C with 1LE was the only way the option could be had with both radio/AC installed. In the 1992, with all of the parts stolen from the 1LE and Z28 cars of those years you got, engine and steering oil coolers, aluminum driveshaft, heavy duty charging from the truck line.

Basically If you own a 1991 or 1992 1LE optioned Z28 you have everything these cars had except radio and AC.

wikipedia page about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B4C

Official GM 1992 B4C model literature I own put into PDF form
http://www.outlawperformance.com/images/B4Cstuff/B4Cbook/92_b4c.pdf

If you are planning a third gen 350 swap, may I recommend that you buy the cleanest car you can to start with. Preferably a 6 cylinder for cost.

Avoid T-tops and convertibles at all costs because even if you put in subframe connectors t-top/convertible models are total slinkeys.

I think a perfect donor car would be a 6 cylinder 5-speed car 1989 and later.

Option 1:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed 3rdgen car
2) buy aluminum LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 motor and ECM from wrecked 4th gen GTO/camaro/firebird/corvette/G8
3) 3rd gen motor mount LS series swap brackets from one of the many vendors
4) street rod LS series wiring harness
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird (try to get it with the engine)
6) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors

Option 2:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed car
2) buy 4.8L-5.3L-6.0L LS series motor (for thousands of $$ less) and ECM from wrecked pickup/suv
3) 3rd gen motor mount LS series swap brackets from one of the many vendors
4) street rod LS series wiring harness
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird
6) Get stock 4th gen LS1 camaro/firebird intake and fuel rails
7) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors
8) change cam to make 350hp-550hp

This swap is so easy it seems like a no brainer. The trans stuff goes in so easy that LT1 T56 swaps into regular small block 3rdgens seems like it was made for it. If you have local wrecking yards that are reasonable they can be your friends here. In my town they are too proud of these now "dime a dozen" motors so the better deal is on ebay even with truck freight.

Which brings us to

Option 3:
1) buy a V8 1987-1990 IROC or 1991-1992 Z28 with the 5.0L and 5-speed
2) build a badass 350-383-406 in any form from mild to race (with consideration of the ECM limits when you put the cam and compression).
3) buy a Holley Stealth Ram intake and fuel rails (if you live in a non emissions state).
4) get a T56, clutch, flywheel, hydraulics from a 1993-1997 LT1 camaro/firebird
5) Get the T56 swap crossmember
6) Get a prom built by Alvin at PCM's for less or buy the equipments and learn to do it yourself.

Here are the problems:

TPI is unacceptable pretty much without spending some money to bandaid its shortcomings.

Be prepared for rear end breakage. Especially with a stick. There are specific bolt in replacement rears in 12 Bolt, 9 inch, and Dana 60 flavors with an occasional SUPER RARE Dana 44. The better 9 Bolt Aussie rear is not acceptable either.
Wow! Thanks for all the info. Yeah the LS1/LT1 swap looks really attractive compared to dealing with the TPI bullshit.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

I personally avoid the LT1 engine swaps too (except the T56 trans that come behind them work great behind regular small blocks). I would rather have a warmed over 5.3L truck motor than the more powerful Gran Sport LT4 version of the LT1!

Really? Why?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Merkmerk posted:

Here's my baby as of about 10 days ago:

The lines of that car makes me sexually aroused.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

D C posted:

So you lifted it, losing some of your safe towing capacity, then added probably cheap chrome rimz?

Should have bought smaller stronger wheels and had more rubber which is better for the sand anyway.

Those tires look fine for sand, better than the stock rubber, atleast from what I've seen of sand. Jesus christ, give him a god drat break, atleast the truck is functional if he does go offroad.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Nevermind.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's some guy here with an FFR Cobra kit that he just got finished putting together. He says he has to wear earplugs while driving, otherwise the 100+ dB sidepipe exhaust note at pretty much anything over idle makes his ears feel like they are coming apart.

I'd probably, oh, put mufflers on mine.

I wouldn't. If a cobra dosent make you feel like its going to kill you at any second somethings wrong.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Hearing loss from noise while driving isn't fun. Randy Pobst is now a big proponent of ear protection after losing a lot of his hearing from driving. He loves his new Volvo S60R cuz the turbo muffles things so well.

I know. I wasn't being 100% serious, I like my V8s loud, just not earplug loud.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Dr. Awesome MD posted:

Its not a Ford, its a Mazda :smugbert:

It was almost a mustang

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

enojy posted:

I went to a nice photogenic area to take some quality pictures of my car the other night, and only got this halfway-lovely one before the PO-LICE showed up and told me I had to leave. I respect law enforcement tremendously, but this guy was an absolute dick. I felt an inch away from being arrested. God forbid anyone is in a church parking lot at 10 o'clock at night! What do you think you're doing here? Well, I'm pointing a camera and tripod at my car.

It is a 2007 Honda Civic Si coupe in rallye red. Modifications to date include a Fujita short ram intake (currently swapped with an AEM cold air intake for the summer,) Strup race header, A'pexi World Sport 2 catback exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit suspension, and a Cobb AccessPort running a stage 2 map ("it's fuckin' tune time.") Bling bling includes a Honda of Japan Civic Type R shift knob and shift boot.

Making an estimated 220 HP. These were rated 197 HP at the crank, but actual baseline power to the wheels typically yields 184 - 186 HP. My last dyno pull yielded 204 HP, and this was with the short ram intake and no AccessPort. After adding the Cobb, it feels like an entirely different beast (any Subaru owner can attest to that, I'm sure.) You WRX owners have it made, though; Cobb has managed to milk over 40 additional horsepower out of the 2009 just with tuning. I'd wager I made something like 15 HP.
What do those run in the 1/4 mile?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

polydizzle posted:

I am sucker for the fart can. It sounds so clean and it has that low rumble idle sound... aah god, need a towel. I personally think it sounds way better as it is coming down from high rpms when downshifting and or coasting.

A used one right now is about 10 grand, I got mine for 13 but it was literally in perfect condition and maintained by a Subaru employee. I got real lucky. Whats the price of a 09 up there ?

As someone who was raised on ridiculous displacement V8s, I can honestly say the only 4 cylinder I have ever liked is a boxer engine with good exhaust. Once you change the headers it ruins it though.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

PLaSMaN posted:

My 1987 Mullet-mobile, a pristine Tuned Port manual Iroc-Z. Much better than my 86 160hp autobucket. Lots of fun, lots of looks cause there are not that many left unrusted around here. Only had to change tires and fix a fan problem, even came with the original 305 (Still a 305).

That car is begging you to put a 350 in it.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Modena AL posted:

Gave it a quick bath and took some new pictures after blacking out all the chrome earlier this summer.
2004 Mini Cooper, 76k miles, BC racing coil overs, hotchkis Sway-bars, stoptech brakes, miltek exhaust, 17" OZ ultraleggeras on Bridgestone RE760s, huge rally lights, and other goodies

Do you have enough foglights? I think you could fit some more on the roof.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Gorgeous F-body. Bone stock?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

I wonder if ADM will enter the vernacular in the US.

ADM fo lyfe yo

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

a handful of dust posted:

1992 F150 4x4, straight six, manual trans.

Still working some of the kinks out, but it's nearly to daily-driver level.

The 4.9 is a cool motor, but gently caress the stock intake/exhaust.

I want your truck so loving bad.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

economic haircut posted:

Yes they are. Not much for plans, probably just some nice suspension and wheels. Its already insanely flat in the corners though, and turns in like nothing I've ever driven before stock. Certainly doesn't need any more power.... yet.

Sounds kinda lame, but just a few minor aesthetic touches and drive the piss out of it.

Lots of owners switch to an aftermarket diff, due to the legendary Viper snap oversteer mostly caused by the factory Hydra-lok unit, but thats half the fun!. 472lb-ft at 1500 rpm is a dangerous thing in the mountains. (peak torque is 525lb-ft at 4200rpm)

Hey, what state do you live in? It almost looks like Alaska, and if you have a C6 and a viper in Alaska you are 100% more cool than everyone else.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

iamtheliquor posted:

Ya it sounds real nice. My car stock is 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. I'm not stock so i imagine its at the least shaved a second off that time. So i do believe it is indeed "much, these days" and something to be feared.
Do you have any sweet highway kill stories bro? You should totally put a hundred shot on your stang so you can go lambo hunting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Took some time off work to play in the mountains. I've had a bunch of bikes and cars on the dragon/surrounding roads and I think I'd still take the 350 over all of them up there. Between the handling and the noise it makes from 4000-8000 rpm, drat. Highly recommend driving one if anyone ever gets the chance.