Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E30 patrol.

1988 325iX (european import), 110,000 miles, cirrusblau metallic.

1998 Civic LX, 145000km, the horrendous honda "not quite blue or green" colour, dreadully boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Confused_Donkey posted:

1988 525i (528e, converted to manual/m20b25)

Think I just found my favorite car in the thread. I love E30s but I have a secret lust for a 5 series, even though I probably couldn't afford to have my E30 and an E28/E34.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

netwerk23 posted:

Thanks! I searched everyday for about 14 months looking for it. I had to fly to CT to buy it, but it's been fun. 2004, 64k miles, Volvo warranty until 100k. 6 speed manual, 4C chassis, sunroof, etc. The turbo and valve timing seem to really come on around 3k RPM and it goes whooooOOOOSSSSHHHH down the road. Amazingly, no speeding tickets so far.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Is that the stock shifter? It's so much more badass than a regular leather booted shifter.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Blooot posted:

A re-post, but today was the first time I've had all my cars outside together. I didn't spend much time positioning them so the BMW looks a little lonely.

(72 510, 87 951, 91 318is)

gently caress the guys with supercars, this driveway actually makes me jealous :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Meet the Shark after a month of ownership, $1,500 in bits and littles, and a fresh claybar/wax/polish.

Rustless 1987 BMW 635 CSI, cinoberrot on black, L-options, 97,000 actual miles, 5 Speed.

Upcoming:
Front Struts
Fresh coat o'rot and de-dinging
New dash top
Maybe an '89 bumper conversion

Why do i not see "Buy some original basketweaves" because jesus christ those wheels are an affront to such an otherwise great car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yet another e36 for the thread, 98 325is sport package with 110500km, picked it up today. All the luxury is confusing to me, the only option I ever had on my previous cars is AC.

(Previous owner's pic)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Where the hell are the rear door handles?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally took some proper pics now that I have entirely new brakes all around.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

wigbot v2.0 posted:

stark contrast time;

here's my (old) BMW..

Click here for the full 1200x668 image.

Looks good, huh!

I would sell my 328is in a loving split second if I could get an e36 touring in canada, so sweet looking.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Binya Binya posted:

2011 GTI. Giggidy.

That is a sweet color...that you can't get in canada :argh:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Comrade Flynn posted:

I heard they used to do it on test drives of the Viper. I'd be willing to bet it works though.

Some car show tested it with a TVR a long time ago, definitely worked.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I really want to see the equations you used to work that out.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kimbo305 posted:

Complain about Lo T all you want, but there's nothing wrong with mechanical engineering in general. In any case, I don't think many MechEs would go on to try to find work as car mechanics.

We should because you learn a lot about good design when working on lovely cars.

The stereotype of MEs who don't know poo poo usually applies to the people who go out and do project management right out of school and never design a single thing. My courses were geared to the most general application possible, I never got any solid technical knowledge until I started working. It's very possible for someone to have a degree and barely understand the mechanics of a gearbox.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
2003.5 330i ZHP, had it for a month now. Still puts a smile on my face every time I get in.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nait Sirhc posted:

I picked up some CSL wheels for winter, and I think I like them more than the SSR GT3s it had before.

Far, far better. Those old wheels just looked tacky and out of place on an E39. Now you pretty much have the best m5 - titanium grey with aluminum trim and good wheels.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MrChips posted:

Not only that, but if BMW made a 135i 3-door hatch, I couldn't throw money at them fast enough. It would be Clownshoe 2.0!

A clownshoe with backseats is probably my greatest dream. Also didn't realize they made a 3-door hatch, I thought they were all 5-door.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Fresh wash & wax...

...right before it goes into storage until next may.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

What did your time end up being?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
3 generations of 3 series:

1988:

1998:

2003:

Personally the e36 is my favourite, it just feels the best to sit in.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DogDodger posted:

That is pretty neat. Didn't BMW do something similar? The RS 4 simply has a warning at the bottom of the DIS that reminds you to keep the RPMs low until the oil temp registers warm enough, then the message changes to the oil temp display.

The M cars since E39/E46 have them. Although I'm sure there are still idiots who rev a cold S54 up to 8000rpm.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Chinatown posted:

Blacked out my poo poo. :getin:

I wish BMW had made more of that colour, it REALLY fits the e46 and e39.

Do you have any closeup pics of your wheels? I'm thinking of going the plastidip route on my ZHP wheels this summer since my wheels are curbed like crazy. I'd probably go something like white or grey since I have a jet black ZHP.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

azerdude32 posted:

I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

Talk me into it, or tell me I'm an idiot. GO!

I'm a giant BMW fanboy and I still wouldn't trade that Audi for anything. Easily one of the best looking ones ever made in a fantastic colour. Don't do it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Reddit sticker, white...just missing the panelvan part.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Went over to check on the battery. Summer needs to get here, stat.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ynotony posted:

Come to Venice, where it is summer year round (but they make you put an ugly license place on your bumper).

Chinatown posted:

Come to San Diego, where its summer year round unless you take photos like this and it rains the following day.

Then I wouldn't get to do this:

Although there hasn't really been enough snow this year, and running in the dirt can get a little hairy.

So jealous of both those ZHPs though, black is such a pain in the rear end.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 31, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DropShadow posted:

In person it looks terrible. There is an RS4 in town with a full wrap and it always looks dirty, even when clean. Plus, since it's a wrap, you can see waves in the the "grain" of the carbon fiber, where real cf would be pretty straight. I think he paid over $3k for the whole thing, and it looks awful. Nice guy, but a lot more money than taste.

edit: Found a couple pics

See the waves?

The PO of my 330 put that kind of CF wrap on the B pillars and rear trunk lip. It looks like poo poo, and it wears badly too - the lip looks like someone went at it with a piece of sandpaper.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

bird cooch posted:

Here is our complete driveway, each car has a very distinct use.

03 evo, lots of money sunk into it, 480whp before the meth. It is a teleporter. If you mash the gas you are instantly as far away as you can see and standing on the incredible brakes. It goes around corners like it is on rails until you goose the throttle and then the back end steps out. If you lift in a corner the only real way to save it is to stand on the gas.
97 m3 coupe, pretty rough around the edges, but great fun to drive. Its the next car to get money thrown at it.

Is that a sedan fender or something on the M3? The moulding between the door/fender is way off.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rhyno posted:

This right here is why I now own four cars. AI is a bad influence.

I have 3 cars, with only driveway space for two. And I almost bought another :v:

My addiction is BMW specific though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Had it for a week, but finally got it insured this weekend since I had to find someone that would insure a non NA VIN.

'89 535i 5spd, imported from germany a couple years ago. 182000km. Wasn't even really planning to buy, but the price was right.

The style 16s need to go, I'm thinking of picking up Style 32s, Style 5s or Style 42s.

:argh: Stupid german cars and lack of cupholders

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sabmo posted:

One vote for 5's.

Congratulations, that's a very tidy looking car! I'm particularly impressed with the condition of the interior - most I've seen of similar milage, the cloth seats are shot to poo poo by now. I've recently been seriously considering a 5-speed E34 but I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. How it is?

So far I like it. It definitely feels very 80s BMW. Big steering wheel, Long clutch throw with an upright seating position. Thankfully it has telescoping steering, otherwise I honestly couldn't have driven the car (5'6).

The steering is very light, as is expected with a recirculating ball setup. But really, I bought this car to use as a commuter/city car for awhile and the light steering/soft suspension is nice for that. Torque from the M30 is nice as well, it doesn't need to be driven hard.

The only thing I didn't realize is mine doesn't have A/C - didn't even think to check before I bought it. If it gets really uncomfortable during my commute I may have to fix a few little niggles, unload it then use my e36 until I can find an e39...I did always want the V8.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Wanted a new desktop.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

omgitstheinternet posted:

Since we're posting formerly owned BMW M3 interiors...

My old 99 M3 which I sold to a goon a couple years back.

I loving love the e36 interior. Sure it's made of crummy plastic and rattles like hell, but it has that awesome 90s feel of cradling the driver in a cockpit.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TheFrailNinja posted:

My garage has a crumbling, uneven concrete floor currently covered in garlic stalks and inches of dust and dirt. It has definitely seen better days. Seeing yours compared to what I'm used to is like :stare:

Have we ever had a "post your garage" thread? I feel like that could be fun, like the "Post your Ranch" thread.

There was one actually, but it's probably in the archives by now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

thealphabetsez posted:

Oh good lord, man! How comfortable is that lovely alcantera/cloth seat option? I was in talks with an owner of a 04' Alpine White variant, but waited too long to make a move. Since then I've felt it was the one that got away.

That's a shame, alpine ZHPs are rare as hell. I'd kill for one.

I miss mine (especially the alcantara seats, those are the BEST bmw seats I've ever sat in) but the lack of LSD really kills them for autocross and track use.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is that a 6spd? And also, how the gently caress do you find those? That is seriously the ONLY audi I'd ever consider cheating on BMW for, but they're so rare with the right transmission.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm amazed than a MY08 car doesn't have traction control.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought an M3 (right) to keep my 328is company.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A coworker just bought a 2005 (B6?) manual A4 V6 avant and I'm super loving jealous. She got it for 5k and it's in pretty good shape aside from a little front subframe rust.

I do actually need to replace my super-rusty 328 next year, would I hate myself if I got an A4 1.8T?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Nthing the echo and saying retrofit projectors or go back to halogens. I have to drive for an hour in the morning/night on a non-split highway and there is NOTHING worse than assholes who have HID bulbs in regular housings. You are dangerously blinding oncoming drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

I need to take some proper pictures of this thing, I absolutely love it. Especially the seats.